Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Denomination: Catholic


Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: 33 Wakefield Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Built progressively, from the laying of the original foundation in 1851 to the completion of the bell-tower in 1996, this cathedral is considered a major Australian work of the Gothic Revival style. It is linked with a number of designers and builders, including the eminent English architects Charles Francis Hansom and Peter Paul Pugin.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 261 Grote Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

After the original church, that was located in West Terrace became too small it was decided to build a new one in Grote St. The Foundation stone was laid in November 1912 and the building was completed in 1914. Constructed of stone and brick, St Patrick's is Classical-neo Baroque in style, based on a Brunelleschi composition.…

Read More

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: 4 Fahey's Road East, Brisbane, Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Olive & Smolett Streets, Albury, New South Wales, 2640

Father Charles Lovat, a pioneer priest from Yass, celebrated Albury's first Catholic mass on November 25, 1843 in a much smaller building at a different location. The present Church was opened on November 24, 1872. The priest who planned its construction was buried behind the altar. He was Dr. Michael McAlroy, Albury's parish priest from…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 36 Nihil Street, Alexandra, Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.

Read More

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Warwick Street, Allora, Queensland, 4362

Read More

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

The first church was a wooden structure. The brick church was built in 1871 with extensive renovations carried out in 1914 that included a sanctuary.

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, Sydney, Annandale New South Wales, 2038

The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.* A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church was…

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 4 Nelson Street, Apollo Bay, Victoria, 3233

The Foundation stone was laid the Rev J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 3 September 1952. No further information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Address: 304 Barkley Street, Ararat, Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a Mr…

Read More

Ardross, WA - St Benedict's Catholic

Ardross, WA - St Benedict's Catholic

Address: 115 Ardross Street, Ardross, Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 202 Waterworks Road, Brisbane, Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 September 1955 by the Most Reverend J. Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1866

Address: Elder Street, Auburn, South Australia, 5451

A former Wesleyan church this Gothic Revival church was built in 1866 by Joseph Meller and Scott. Constructed from Auburn bluestone it has symbolic pillars capped with open bible design, stone cuts with fine lines. The building was later used as a Sunday School when the Wesleyans and Methodists merged until it was sold to the Catholic…

Read More

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Corner Queen & Plummer Streets, Avenel, Victoria, 3664

Read More

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Address: Corner Barnett & Cambridge Streets, Avoca, Victoria, 3467

A brick church of 1872 with pointed windows, buttresses, porch and vestry. The Church was opened on 18 November 1979.

Read More

Axe Creek, VIC - St Josephs' Catholic

Axe Creek, VIC - St Josephs' Catholic

Address: Corner Axe Creek Road & Bendigo Road, Axe Creek, Victoria, 3551

Read More

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 15 Raglan Place East, , Axedale Victoria, 3551

Read More

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1853

Address: 61 Lerderderg Street, Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, 3340

The 1841 Census for this area recorded that there were only 14 Catholics out of a population of 112, an area that extended from the Upper Werribee to Melton. By 1851 a register entry listed the names of five infants who, were baptised:- James, the son of James and Fanny Toomey; Patrick, son of John and Margaret Leahy; Elizabeth, daughter…

Read More

Balaclava, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Balaclava, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Address: 293 Carlisle Street, Melbourne, Balaclava Victoria, 3183

Read More

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Address: Victoria Street, , Ballarat East Victoria, 3350

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid December 11 1883 by the Honourable James Campbell M.L.C.

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - St Columbus Catholic

Ballarat North, VIC - St Columbus Catholic

Address: 802 Armstrong Street, Ballarat, Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: Corner Sturt & Dawson Street, Ballarat, Victoria, 3350

Although Catholic Services were conducted in Ballarat from 1851 onwards, the parish of Ballarat was not instituted until 1852. The first Parish Priest was Father Matthew Downing, who in 1853, selected the two acre site for the church, which was granted under a Crown Grant in 1855. The style of the church is early Gothic from the era of…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1848

Address: 6 Eaton Street, Sydney, Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first St Augustine's was built in 1848 and designed by Augustus Pugin England's most influential early Victorian architect. In 1848 the Archbishop of Sydney put up a bond of 150 which would be voided unless part of a church or materials worth 400 were on site within 18 months. The "magnificent plot of land [was] beautifully situated…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, Bannockburn, Victoria, 3331

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Barmedman, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: Main Street, Barmedman, New South Wales, 2668

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 March 1916 by John Gallagher D.D. Bishop of Goulburn.

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Address: 103 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3226

Read More

Beagle Bay, WA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Beagle Bay, WA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1917

Address: Bishop Place, , Beagle Bay Western Australia, 6725

The community was established by Trappist Monks around 1890. In 1884, the first ever priest arrived to serve the Catholics in the Kimberley to try and convert the Aboriginal people. Bishop Matthew Gibney founded the Beagle Bay mission, developed in the land of the Nyul Nyul people. The Pallottine fathers and brothers took charge of the…

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: Leichardt Street, Beaufort, Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Beechworth, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: Church Street, Beechworth, Victoria, 3747

Read More

Belgrave, VIC - St Thomas the More Catholic

Belgrave, VIC - St Thomas the More Catholic

Address: 17 Terry Avenue, Melbourne, Belgrave Victoria, 3160

Read More

Belmont, WA - St Anne's Catholic

Belmont, WA - St Anne's Catholic

Address: 11 Hehir Street, Perth, Belmont Western Australia, 6104

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: Corner Wedge & Arundel Streets, Benalla, Victoria, 3672

The Church was completed in 1908 in a Romanesque style. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne on 21 July 1907. The Pastor was In 1989 a fire destroyed a large part of the building with many parts being replaced. This included the pressed steel roof.

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 125 High Street, Melbourne, Berwick Victoria, 3806

St. Michael's Parish was established in 1956, having previously been part of the parish of Dandenong. In 1956 it became part of the Diocese of Sale. The current Church was opened on 29 April 1984 and was blessed by the Bishop of Sale Eric D'Arcy.

Read More

Bexley, NSW - St Gabriel's Catholic

Bexley, NSW - St Gabriel's Catholic

Address: 55 Stoney Creek Road, Sydney, Bexley New South Wales, 2207

Read More

Binalong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Binalong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1859

Address: Monteagle Street, Binalong, New South Wales, 2584

The first church was located on Church Hill and was called the Church of St Peter's and Paul. The foundation stone of that church was laid in March 1859. It was later demolished. The Foundation stone of the existing Federation style church was laid on 17 September 1911 by the Catholic Bishop of Goulburn Dr Gallagher. Built of local…

Read More

Birdwood, SA - St Mathew's Catholic

Birdwood, SA - St Mathew's Catholic

Address: Shannon Street, Birdwood, South Australia, 2446

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - St Thomas's Catholic

Blackburn, VIC - St Thomas's Catholic

Address: 57 Central Road, Melbourne, Blackburn Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blackmans Bays, TAS - St Pius X Catholic

Blackmans Bays, TAS - St Pius X Catholic

Address: 98 Chennel Highway, Hobart, Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

The Church was designed by the well known Tasmanian architect J.H.E. Dorney and constructed in 1957.

Read More

Bondi Junction, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Bondi Junction, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: 15 Adelaide Street, Sydney, Bondi Junction New South Wales, 2022

The original church was built in 1907 and enlarged twice. The present church (AUSTIN MACKAY) was opened in 1940 and is of Art Deco style with Romanesque windows and prominent stained glass depicting the 14 Stations of the Cross. The Foundation stone was laid in 1939.

Read More

Boonah, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Boonah, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Address: John Street, Boonah, Queensland, 4310

The first Catholic church was opened on 1 November 1887. This is the third church and was opened on 29 October 1961.

Read More