Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Methodist


Aberdeen, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Aberdeen, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1914

Address: 160 Melrose Road, , Aberdeen Tasmania, 7310

The foundation stone was laid on the 2nd July 1914 by Mrs John Denney relict of Mr John Denney who was one of the Pioneer Methodists of the North West Coast. Today the church is in private hands and called Aberdeen Abbey.

Read More

Ascot Vale, VIC Methodist (Former)

Ascot Vale, VIC Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 43 The Parade, , Ascot Vale Vicotira, 3032

In 1926 the Church building fund allowed for a tender to go out for a church to be built to seat 300 to 350 people at a cost of £4,000 including furnishings and fittings. A Foundation stone was laid on 18 September 1926 bt Mr .J. Cato who also gave a donation of £100 towards the funds. During the same year a block of land was purchased at…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC, Wesleyan Methodist

Balwyn, VIC, Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 184 Balwyn Rd, , Balwyn Victoria,

Read More

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 48 Barrington Road, , Barrington Tasmania,

Barrington is regarded as the birthplace of Methodism in the Sheffield district. The first settlers were led by John and Charles Coleman and were later joined by Alexander Smith, John Harmon, Benjamin Green, John Reeves, Charles Packett and William Smith, all members of the Methodist Church.

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Beechworth, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Address: 26 Ford Street, , Beeckworth Victoria, 3747

A new Church building was opened in 1878.

Read More

Boonah, QLD - Methodist

Boonah, QLD - Methodist

Address: 9 Church Street, , Boonah Queensland, 4310

A Mr Fuller visited the region in 1880. In September. 1881, Fassifern and Dugandan were appointed preaching places and in November Mr. Powell conducted devotions at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. Betts, Boonah, in the afternoon, and afterwards at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E. Horton, Kalbar. Services continued at quarterly Intervals. At…

Read More

Boronia, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist

Boronia, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 36 Pine Crescent, , Boronia Victoria, 3155

Read More

Brisbane East, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Brisbane East, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Address: 20 Norman Street, , Brisbane East Queensland, 4169

The East Brisbane Primitive Methodist congregation was established in 1888, following estate sales in East Brisbane which freed up land and encouraged residential development. The parish, originally in temporary accommodation in Didsbury Street, relocated to Norman St in 1890. The church was designed by architectural firm Hall and…

Read More

Brushgrove, NSW, St Jude's Methodist (Former)

Brushgrove, NSW, St Jude's Methodist (Former)

Address: 11 Woodford Street, , Brushgrove New South Wales, 2460

A memorial stone reads, " Memorial stone laid by Revd J.S. Macpherson Oct 11 1898". In private hands and Heritage listed.

Read More

Bundaberg East, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Bundaberg East, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 1A Princess Street, , Bundaberg East Queensland, 4670

All these appointments were classified as "Bundaberg".

Read More

Burra, SA - Redruth Methodist (former)

Burra, SA - Redruth Methodist (former)

Year Built: 1874

Address: Ludgvan Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

Redruth first appeared in the quarterly minute book on 24 June 1851. No members are listed and the income was 5/4. Three months later there were 4 members and the circuit income was 1-6-6. In February 1851 the Kooringa trustees had begun to build a church opposite the police station and 1-17-10 was collected at the laying of the corner…

Read More

Burwood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Burwood, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Address: 339 Warrigal Road, , Burwood Victoria, 3125

A Foundation stone in part reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Hon ??? M.L.C. 19th Sept 1936 - Rev David Clarnette Minister The Church is now a Funeral Home.

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Year Built: 1880

Address: 105 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church was built by funds left by Joseph Brickhill a successful local Businessman. His shop which used to be on High Street was built in 1859at a cost of £6,000 and was said to be the finest country store in Tasmania. Brickhill died in 1865 at the age of 65 after being attcked by his Alsatian dog. £1,400 was left in his estate to…

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 23 Wattle Avenue, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163

A Private dwelling. A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by A.W.F. Smith Esq Oct 1922".

Read More

Childers, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Childers, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 6 Broadhurst Street, , Childers Queensland, 4660

Formerly a Presbyterian Church.

Read More

Clontaf, QLD - Peninsula Life Wesleyan

Clontaf, QLD - Peninsula Life Wesleyan

Address: 3 Lavelle Court, , Clontaf Queensland, 4019

Read More

Coburg, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (former)

Coburg, VIC - Wesleyan Methodist (former)

Year Built: 1857

Address: 512 Sydney Road, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

The oldest Methodist Church in Victoria and the first built of blue stone. On 5th August 1857, a foundation stone for a church was laid, designed by T.J. Crouch. A sealed bottle containing the following record was placed in the stone cavity beneath the corner stone together with a copy of Argus and Herald of the day: "This stone…

Read More

Coff Harbour, NSW - Wesleyan

Coff Harbour, NSW - Wesleyan

Address: 76A Bray Street, , Coffs Harbour New South Wales, 2450

Read More

Currajong, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Currajong, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 3 Strange Street, , Currajong Queensland, 4812

Read More

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1914

Address: 20 McCulloch Street, , Donald Victoria, 3480

The first services were held in the home of Mr Thomas Bath at Swanwater West prior to 1873 and were services conducted by Ministers from St Arnaud. There were local Methodist churches in Swanwater, Jeffcott and Avon. A Church for Donald was also under consideration but an effort to raise subscriptions in November 1876 was not…

Read More

Dungog, NSW - Methodist

Dungog, NSW - Methodist

A Foundation stone was laid on 23 March 1910. No further information currently available. Contributions welcombed.

Read More

Elmore, VIC - Methodist

Elmore, VIC - Methodist

Address: 68 Mitchie Street, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

Formerly a Methodist Church the building is now the home of Elmore Scouts.

Read More

Evandale, TAS - Wesleyan Methodist (Former)

Evandale, TAS - Wesleyan Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1836

Address: 28 Logan Road, , Evandale Tasmania, 7212

Local identities Henry Reed and John Ward Gleadow helped build the Wesleyan Church although little information is available on its history and as such it was later used as a Druid Hall, Scouts Hall and then by the Returned Services League of Australia (R.S.L.A.) as their Evandale Club Room. It was sold in 1975 and is now a private…

Read More

Everton Hills, QLD - Hills Wesleyan Methodist

Everton Hills, QLD - Hills Wesleyan Methodist

Year Built: 1991

Address: 79 Queens Road, , Everton Hills Queensland, 4053

Hills Church (originally Everton Hills Wesleyan Methodist Church) was born on the shores of the Burnett River just outside of Bunderburg. There a small core of families from Ferny Hills gathered with the Rev. Don Hardgrave during Easter 1981. The first service commenced on December 6, 1981 at 79 Queens Rd, Everton Hills which had been…

Read More

Footscray, VIC - Methodist
Glen Innes, NSW - Methodist (Former)

Glen Innes, NSW - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1929

Address: 143 Church Street, , Glen Innes New South Wales, 2370

Originally built as a Methodist church in 1885, it was purchased in 1983 by the Glen Innes Arts Council Inc. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by E.C. Sommerlad J.P. on 28th Jan 1929 Rev V.T. Smith Minister".

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Goombungee, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Year Built: 1900

Address: Albert Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

The first Church was opened in 1903 with over 300 people attending.

Read More

Hadfield, VIC - Box Forest Wesleyan

Hadfield, VIC - Box Forest Wesleyan

Address: 19A South Road, , Hadfield Victoria, 3046

Read More

Hawthorn, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Hawthorn, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Address: 314 Barkers Road, , Hawthorn Victoria, 3122

The Church is now a series of private apartments.

Read More

Injune, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Injune, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Address: 19 Coronation Street, , Injune Queensland, 4455

The Church is now in private hands. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this foundation stone was laid by Rev S.T. Vickery L.Th S.C.F. on Saturday 4th August 1962. Minster Missionary J. Woodley".

Read More

Invermay, TAS - Praise Methodist

Invermay, TAS - Praise Methodist

Year Built: 1925

Address: 100 Invermay Road, , Invermay Tasmania, 7248

Formerly an Anglican Church. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs Charles Kent June 20th 1925".

Read More

Kalorama, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Kalorama, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Address: 6 - 8 Ridge Road, , Kalorama Victoria, 3766

The Church was built in 1909 by volunteer labour. Mainly through the efforts of the daughters of Eliza Hand and their families - the Jeeves, Walkers and Badenhops.

Read More

Kanumbra, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Kanumbra, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1898

Address: Minterns Road, , Kanumbra Victoria, 3719

The Church was built in 1898 at the cost of £100. A Mr William McGuigan donated the land to the Methodists. He also donated a piece of land to the Church of England. The Minister of the day would travel from Alexandra. The final service was conducted in 1988.

Read More

Katanning, WA - Methodist (Former)

Katanning, WA - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1905

Address: 23 Taylor Street, , Katanning Western Australia, 6317

The building is in Gothic style with a gabled rood, pier buttresses and lancet arched windows. The exterior walls are tuck-pointed, red brick, cement rendered on the lower half and the roof is of corrugated iron. There are two additions to the rear, dating from 1919 and cl930. The interior fixtures such as the pews, altar and pulpit, were…

Read More

Kedron, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Kedron, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1957

Address: 96 Lekie Road, , Kedron Queensland, 4031

A Foundation stone reads, " Kedron Methodist memorial Church to the Glory of God to Memorial to all those who served and those who died in world wars 1914 - 1918, 1939 - 1945, and Korea 1950 - 1952. And in gratitude to pioneers of the Church This stone was laid by Rev S.Y Potter BA BD President of the Conference Rev L.S. Hiscock L Th…

Read More

Lakes Creek, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Lakes Creek, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 446 Paterson Street, , Lakes Creek Queensland, 4701

Read More

Lawitta, TAS - Methodist

Lawitta, TAS - Methodist

Year Built: 1837

Address: 49 Larwitta Road, , Larwitta Tasmania, 7140

Ten First Fleeters are buried in the Chapel. The Church is one of the oldest in Tasmania, opened in 1837.

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - Methodist (Former)
Lithgow, NSW - Methodist (Former)

Lithgow, NSW - Methodist (Former)

Address: 169 Mort Street, , Lithgow New South Wales, 2790

Read More

Longford, TAS - Wesleyan Chapel

Longford, TAS - Wesleyan Chapel

Year Built: 1887

Address: 107 Wellington Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

Opened in 1887 the Longford Methodist Church, or, as it was then known, the Wesleyan Methodist Society, was founded in 1834. Now in private hands.

Read More