Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Presbyterian


Acacia Ridge, QLD - Presbyterian

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 372 Mortimer Road, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - Presbyterian

Albion Park, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 250 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

The first Presbyterian Church in Albion Park was built of rubble stone in 1866 but was demolished due to disrepair. The new Presbyterian Church was built with half the cost being met by Albion Park pioneer John Russell. It was built of rubble stone in 1866 but was demolished due to disrepair. The Church Gothic style Church was built by F.…

Read More

Albury North, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Albury North, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1974

Address: 402 Wagga Road, , Albury North New South Wales, 2641

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone was laid by Mr W. Stanley Carnie Elder on 27th May 1973. The Church was opened by The Right Reverend Norman Monsen Moderator Assembly New South Wales and dedicated by the Presbytery of Wagga Wagga on 9th November 1974. Minister Reverend Ian C. Davidson".

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1865

Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.

Read More

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

Built between 1886 and 1889 and opened in February 1889 the church was a gift by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie as a memorial to her husband John Baillie who died in 1854. He was a sub-editor of the Colonial Observer and later the Secretary and Inspector of the Bank of New South Wales. The Architect's were Cyril Arthur Blackett son of the…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian

Annerley, QLD - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 33 King Street, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

The first church was built in 1886 at a cost of £150 and their second church in 1929 at a cost of £3,500. Brisbane architect, George Trotter, who was also a member of the congregation, designed the second church.

Read More

Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian

Applecross, WA - Chinese Presbyterian

Address: 33 Willcock Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Arundel, QLD - Presbyterian

Arundel, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 132 Allied Drive, , Arundel Queensland, 4214

The Church was created in 1977 and in 1993 it was subdivided into Robina and Arundel churches.

Read More

Ascot, QLD - Gateway Presbyterian

Ascot, QLD - Gateway Presbyterian

Address: 68 Charlton Street, , Ascot Queensland, 4007

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - Presbyterian

Ashburton, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 1 High Street Road, , Ashburton Victoria, 3147

Read More

Ashfield, NSW - Presbyterian

Ashfield, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 3 Knox Street, , Ashfield New South Wales, 2131

The first Presbyterian service in Ashfield was held in the Oddfellows' Hall in October, 1875, On 12/3/1876 the first weatherboard church was opened by the Revd. Dr John Dummore Lang, the land having been given by John Pope, Ashfield's first Mayor. In 1882, additional land was purchased and a building fund opened for a new church. Knox…

Read More

Auburn, NSW- Presbyterian

Auburn, NSW- Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 29 Queen Street, , Auburn New South Wales, 2144

Constructed in 1905 in Federation style designed in a cruciform-shape with large plinths and a substantial extension to the rear. The roof is clad in corrugated iron which has replaced an earlier tiled roof. The Church walls constructed of face-brick with polychromatic brickwork are set on a concrete base with brick and concrete wall…

Read More

Ayr, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Ayr, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1960

Address: 109 MacMillan Street, , Ayr Queensland, 4807

A plaque reads, St Andrews Presbyterian Memorial Church dedicated to the Glory of God Reverend A.G. McLaren Moderator of the Presbytery of Townsville 7 May 1960'.

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 239 Main Streert, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone for St Andrew's Church was laid by Rev A S McLean on December 17th, 1885. The site now accommodation a Health Services Group and a Red Cross Centre.

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC Presbyterian

Bairnsdale, VIC Presbyterian

Address: 159 Nicholson Street, , Bairnrsdale Victoria, 3875

Read More

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1953

Address: Corner Hotham & Denman Streets, , Balaclava North Victoria, 3183

In 1912, in order to ascertain to what extent the people of the district were desirous of having a Church in their midst, a house to house canvass was made by Rev. C. Stuart Ross, with the result that he was able to make a most encouraging and satisfactory report.* At this stage, Mr. John Maclellan, a member of the Board of Management…

Read More

Bald Hills, QLD - Presbyterian

Bald Hills, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1910

Address: 58 Strathpine Road, , Bald Hills Queensland, 4036

In May 1863, the first Presbyterian Church of Bald Hills was built and opened by the Reverend C. Ogg. Three years later Bald Hills was included in Reverend Alexander Caldwell’s charge of Oxley Creek and Fortitude Valley. This small Federation Carpenter Gothic style timber framed church was built in 1910 after the previous church,…

Read More

Ballarat Central, VIC - Ebenezer St John's Presbyterian

Ballarat Central, VIC - Ebenezer St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1857

Address: 212 Armstrong Street, , Ballarat Central Victoria, 3350

The Ebenezer Presbyterian Church was born out of the early missionary work of the Presbyterian Church in the gold rush that followed the first “Gold Find” in 1851. On Sunday 16th February 1857, Rev James Ballantyne of the United Presbyterian Church conducted a temperance mission in Ballarat East. In 1978 the congregation from St Johns…

Read More

Ballina, NSW - Presbyterian

Ballina, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1914

A small timber church was built facing Cherry Street and opened on 12th April 1885. This building was moved to face Crane Street before the present church was erected. A Foundation stone reads, " St Stephens Presbyterian Church Ballina This stone was laid by Hugh Gibson Esq Mayor Sept 16th 1914 John Haddon Bates Minister.

Read More

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1868

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first church was erected in 1842 at a cost of £25.00 and was the first church to be built in Balmain. An early stone Early English Gothic Revival style Church constructed in 1867-1868. The Church significantly retains its original form, scale and details particularly the stone façades and roof and associated details and prominent…

Read More

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: Hume Highway, , Balmattum Victoria, 3666

The Church is part of the the Benalla Presbyterian Parish since its inception, but at the time was knows as duck pond the name derived from a chain of water holes crossing the route of the Sydney Road. The first srvices were held in the school. The wooden church building was erected in 1878 and opeend on 6 October 1878 by Reverend Reid.…

Read More

Balranald, NSW - Presbyterian

Balranald, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1962

Address: 47 Bank Street, , Balranald New South Wales, 2715

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Rev A.A. Dougan M.A. Principle of St Arnaud College on 6th October 1962".

Read More

Bangalow, NSW - Presbyterian

Bangalow, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 73 Byron Street, , Bangalow New South Wales, 2479

Read More

Banyo, QLD - Presyterian

Banyo, QLD - Presyterian

Address: 314 St Vincents Road, , Banyo Queensland, 4014

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 32 - 34 Queen Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The first St Paul's Presbyterian Church Barmedman was a timber structure which was used from late 1890. The present brick structure was opened in March 1927. The Foundation stone was laid on 20 October 1926 by John Stewart. The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 40 Ross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

First services were held in private homes such as "Darriwill" home of the Hope family. Later Reve Sutherland conducted services in a tin shed on top of Batesford Hill until he left in 1887. In December 1859 tenders were let by the Architect Joseph Lowe Shaw for the erection of a bluestone church. A plaque on the upper section of the…

Read More

Bathurst, NSW - Presbyterian

Bathurst, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 72 George Steet, , Bathurst New South Wales, 2795

The Architect was Thomas Rowe.

Read More

Beecroft, NSW - Presbyterian

Beecroft, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 1A Mary Street, , Beecroft New South Wales, 2119

On 17 December 1903 a congregational meeting agreed to purchase the land upon which the church was subsequently built. The building for the Church was commenced on 19 September 1908 and was opened on 13 February 1909. The sandstone for the foundations was locally quarried and donated by George Frederick Willis, the father of David John…

Read More

Bega, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Bega, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Address: 116 Gipps Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550

Read More

Belconnen, ACT - Presbyterian

Belconnen, ACT - Presbyterian

Address: Corner Ross Smith Crescent & Gatty Street, , Belconnen Australian Capital Territory, 2617

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Church & Mitchell Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The Foundation stone was laid David Maughan Esq on 17 May 1905.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: 35 - 41 Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were prepared for the demolition of the church and…

Read More

Berrigan, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Berrigan, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

The Berrigan charge originally included Finley, Tocumwal and Berrigan. On 19th December 1928 the Rev Mr Hain Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of NSW dedicated the building to the service of God. The cost of the building and furnishings amount to £748-1-9.

Read More

Berrigan, NSW - St John's Presbyterian

Berrigan, NSW - St John's Presbyterian

Address: 5 Davis Street, , Berrigan New South Wales, 2712

Read More

Berry, NSW - Presbyterian

Berry, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: 83 Victoria Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535

The first Presbyterian Church in Berry was erected in a prime location on a hill to the north of the town in the late 1880's, and was built on five acres, donated to the congregation by David Berry. A Foundation reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Rev D.F. Brandt May 9th 1934 - Thos J. Darling Architect Rev D.L.…

Read More

Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1887

Address: 269 Forest Road, , Bexley New South Wales, 2207

The land on which this Church is built was first granted to James Chandler on the 19th October 1831 by Governor Brisbane (1300 acres). The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by the ten Minster for Education the Hon James Inglis. The Church was opened for worship by Rev Robert Steel in October 1887. For over 50 years it was known…

Read More

Biloela, QLD - Presbyterian

Biloela, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1960

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This stone was laid by the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Queensland the Right Rev T.C. Watson BA 23rd April 1960. Minister Rev R.A. Paterson DIP DIV Session Clerk Mr A.C. Shepherdson".

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - Presbyterian

Blackburn, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 53 Gadenia Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blayney, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Blayney, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1861

Address: 71 Adelaide Street, , Blayney New South Wales, 2799

The foundation stone was laid in July 1861 and the church was opened on 6 April 1862 with Reverend James Adam holding the first church service. In 1870, the building was enhanced by the addition of an attractive bell tower, with shingled steeple. The cost of St Paul’s was £300 exclusive of the pulpit and seats.

Read More

Bomaderry, NSW - Presbyterian

Bomaderry, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 8 Meroo Street, , Bomaderry New South Wales, 2541

Read More