Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Presbyterian


Bondi, NSW - Presbyterian

Bondi, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1922

Address: Cnr Castlefield & Miller Streets, , Bondi New South Wales, 2026

The Church dedication service was held on March 4th 1923. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Reverend A.S.M. Cook The Moderator of the Presbyterian Assembly on July 1st 1922. Minister Rev John Enright".

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St James' Presbyterian (Former)

Boorowa, NSW - St James' Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 50 Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

The Church was built in 1885

Read More

Boort, VIC - Presbyterian, (Former)

Boort, VIC - Presbyterian, (Former)

Year Built: 1876

Address: 24 Godfrey Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

Presbyterian services were conducted in the district from 1876, and in a permanent church building in Boort from 1881. It is believed this building was sold to the Anglican Church c1905 (see history of St. Andrew's Anglican church). A new wooden Presbyterian church, St. Andrews, was designed and built in 1901 by Mr. A. E. DeGruchy for…

Read More

Botany, NSW - Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Botany, NSW - Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1880

Address: 1561 Botany Road, , Botany New South Wales, 2019

The Church was built in 1880 for about £1000 and was sold in 2019.

Read More

Bowral, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Bowral, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 12 Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by The Rev C.E. Turnbull Moderator of the Presbytery of Goulburn to commemorate the Jubilee of the first Presbyterian service in Bowral. 1888 - 1938. Rev R.H. Bacot Minister.

Read More

Brenaraby, QLD - Presbyterian

Brenaraby, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 17 O'Connor Road, , Brenaraby Queensland, 4680

Read More

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1896

Address: Corner North & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq. John Knox church (built 1876) Original Architect - Charles Webb

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 12 Wilson Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The earliest recorded Anglican service to be held in Brighton, formerly known as `Waterville' was held in 1842 in a simple slab and shingle home, owned by Henry Dendy, near the corner of New and Well Streets. The Reverend Adam Compton Thompson, the only clergyman in the colony at the time was the first to offer ministry in Brighton. He…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian

Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: 141 Ann Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

In September 1854, the congregation purchased three allotments in Ann Street. Four years later, a simple stone building in the Gothic style was erected by Joshua Jeays for a cost of £960. It was 36 by 47 feet (11 by 14 m). The church was opened on Sunday 25 July 1858 and became known as the Ann Street Presbyterian Church. On Thursday 21…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD -St Paul's Presbyterian

Brisbane, QLD -St Paul's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 43 St Paul's Terrace, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

The congregation initially worshipped in a wooden Church in Creek Street and then built a handsome stone church in 1876. Their church building stood originally near the corner of Creek and Adelaide Streets in the city. Former Queensland Colonial Architect Francis Drummond Greville Stanley was commissioned to design a building well…

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner High & Hamilton Streets, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The original church was a small wooden Methodist church built in 1895, opened on 9 June and demolished in 1912. The Builder was Mr McDonald of Broadford. A Foundation stone was laid by M McKenzie MLA on 1 June 1912 when a newer church was erected. The builder was James Sutherland. The foundation stone was laid by MK McKenzie MLA on 1…

Read More

Broomehill, WA - Presbyterian (Former)

Broomehill, WA - Presbyterian (Former)

Address: Journal Street, , Broomehill Western Australia, 6318

Read More

Bundaberg, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Bundaberg, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1932

Address: 61 Woogarra Street, , Bundaberg Queensland, 4670

Prominent Brisbane architect Lange L. Powell designed St Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Construction of the church in the early 1930s was a local work-generating scheme during a time of economic depression. The Church adopted a deliberate policy to ensure that funds for the construction of the church were spent on local labour and…

Read More

Bundoora, VIC - Presbyterian

Bundoora, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 19 Enterprise Drive, , Bundoora Victoria, 3083

Read More

Burrawang, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Burrawang, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1888

Address: 36 Church Street, , Burrawang New South Wales, 2577

The Burrawang Herald gives the following account of the opening of the new Presbyterian Church at Burrawang the first of which was laid some months ago by Mr D.L. Dymock. The ceremony in connection with the opening of the new Presbyterian Church Berrawang was commemorated on Wednesday last (22 Feb 1888) by an opening service and tea…

Read More

Byron Bay, NSW - Presbyterian

Byron Bay, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1969

Address: 13 Ruskin Street, , Byron Bay New South Wales, 2481

A plaque read's, " This Church was opened by The Rt Rev R.L. McInnes BA State Moderator and dedicated to the Glory of God by the Presbytery of the Northern Rivers on the 16th August 1969 Minister Rev H.W.A. Wilson".

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 581 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for £375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of £566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…

Read More

Camden, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Camden, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: 42 John Street, , Camden New South Wales, 2570

An article in the 23rd June 1938 edition of the Camden News states in part, " The building which will contain nave, porch and vestry, with dais in chancel. The church will provide seating accommodation for 110. Mr. R. G. Vale, of Maroubra, is the (building contractor. The structure will be of dark brick facings externally, with…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Campbell Town, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1858

Address: 55 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church opened for worship on 30 May 1858. The Church was sold in 2018 and is now a cafe and function venue.

Read More

Campbelltown, NSW - Presbyterian

Campbelltown, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 40 Lithgow Street, , Campbelltown New South Wales, 2560

The first Presbyterian service was conducted in Campbelltown by the Rev Hugh Gilchrist in 1837.

Read More

Campbelltown, NSW - Samoan Presbyterian

Campbelltown, NSW - Samoan Presbyterian

Address: 105 Lindesay Street, , Campbelltown New South Wales, 2560

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - Presbyterian

Camperdown, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 59 Campbell Street, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Canowindra, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1901

Address: 21 Rodd Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

The foundation stone was laid in 1901 and the church was opened on 8th November 1902. The building together with the later dwelling that served as accommodation for the rector was sold off in circa 1990s.

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - Presbyterian

Canterbury, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1927

Address: 137 Canterbury Road, , Canterbury Victoria, 3126

The foundation stone of the new Presbyterian Church, Canterbury was laid on 19 February 1927. The building was designed by architect W.H. Ford.

Read More

Carcoar, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Carcoar, NSW - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1861

Address: 10 Icely Street, , Carcoar New South Wales, 2791

Read More

Cardinia, VIC - Pesbyterian (Former)

Cardinia, VIC - Pesbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1915

Address: 2400 Ballarto Road , , Cardinia Victoria, 3978

Mr Walter Duff donated the land for the church and he and his wife organised garden parties to start a building fund. James Irwin of Ararat was the architect and the builder was a Mr Caulsen, costing £450 to build. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Walter Duff Esq J.P. on the 23rd of October 1915.…

Read More

Caringbah, NSW - Presbyterian

Caringbah, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 393 Port Hacking Road, , Caringbah New South Wales, 2229

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Mr J.T. Varcoe 16 November 1957. Rev H.J. Hillman B.A. HomeMission Super. Rev T.P. McEvoy B.A. Interim Moderator".

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1938

Address: 142 Grange Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Moderator The Right Rev F.W. Bolland M.C.M.A. 5th March 1938 Rev S.A. Vertigan Minister. Architects H.H. and F.B. Kemp. Builder Norman Miller".

Read More

Carrum Downs, VIC - Presbyterian

Carrum Downs, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 8 William Road, , Carrum Downs Victoria, 3201

Read More

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 181 Canterbury Road, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

St Paul's Presbyterian Church was opened on Wednesday 15 July 1908 by the Right Rev. J. Macaulay, Moderator of the General Assembly. Designed by the Casino architects, Messrs Popplewell and Sykes, in the Early English Gothic style.

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1909

Address: 174 Glenelg Highway, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

The first church was erected in 1865 and was opened on 1 April. The second church built in the Gothic style was opened in March 1909. The Foundation stone was laid by Mr Gillespie on Wednesday 7 October 1908.

Read More

Castle Hill, NSW - St Columba's Presbyterian

Castle Hill, NSW - St Columba's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1976

Address: 247 Old Northern Road, , Castle Hill New South Wales, 2154

The foundation stone for the old Presbyterian Church in Castle Hill was unveiled on 15 July 1939 by Reverend G. M. Scott, Home Missions Superintendent, 1936-1939. The modern St Columba’s Presbyterian Church, Castle Hill was opened on 6 March 1976. An article in the The Cumberland Argus and Fruitgrowers Advocate Wed 9 Aug 1939 reads,…

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Presbyterian

Castlemaine, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

The earliest building was constructed in 1855 as a temporary church, Sunday and day school. Designed by architect and surveyor, Clement Wilks, the foundation stone was laid on 7th March 1855. The first church building is constructed of unadorned brick and designed in a simple Georgian style. Step buttresses divide the nave into bays,…

Read More

Caulfield South, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield South, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1933

Address: 237 North Road, , Caulfield South Victoria, 3162

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Miss L.A. Nicoll a Foundation member 16.12.33. Minister Rev A Heathcote Fletcher".

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 1 Neerim Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Monday 13 August 1928, page 12, CHURCH NEWS. Efforts to organise a Presbyterian Church in Caulfield are meeting with success. The Sunday evening services are held in the Courtroom, Caulfield Town Hall, and are conducted by the Rev. A. Hardie. Tenders have been called for the building of a church…

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Charlton, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1871

In the spring of the year 1871 as inhabitants of stations around Charlton crossed southwards over the recently constructed Avoca bridge they saw the beginnings of the first House of Worship in Charlton. The contractor James Paterson, of Nardoo, Buckrabnayule, a builder who learnt his trade in Scotland was putting the final touches to the…

Read More

Chatswood, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Chatswood, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1898

Address: 28 Anderson Street, , Chatswood New South Wales, 2067

The corner stone was laid in October 1898 and reads, " This corner stone was laid by the Hon Alex Kethel MLC 15th October 1898". Services having been held from 1896 in the local public hall. Designed by the architect Thomas Tidswell, the building was opened on Saturday 17 December 1898.

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Cheltenham, VIC - Pioneer's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 8 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

From TROVE 3 Sep 1886. The Cheltenham Presbyterian congregation on last Wednesday evening held a conversazione, to show their appreciation of the services ot the late pastor, the Hey. D. H. Ballantyne, who after 17 years' ministration, working in connexion with the Brighton church Cheltenham being a missionary station had resigned the…

Read More

Chester Hill, NSW - Presbyterian

Chester Hill, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1954

Address: 64 Priam Street, , Chester Hill New South Wales, 2162

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by N. Chivas Esq 3rd April 1954".

Read More

Clarinda, VIC - Presbyterian

Clarinda, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 9 Eulinga Road, , Clarinda Victoria, 3169

Read More