Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Presbyterian


Hurstville, NSW - St Giles War Memorial Presbyterian

Hurstville, NSW - St Giles War Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1955

Address: Corner Park & McMahon Streets, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

The first Presbyterian Church in Hurstville was a wooden building built in 1904 in Forest Road. The second Church was built in 1923 and is now the Youth Centre opposite the current Church. The Foundation stone of the current church reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by Lieut General Sir John Northcott KCMC CVO OB 5th March…

Read More

Ingleburn, NSW - Presbyterian

Ingleburn, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 48 Lancaster Street, , Ingleburn New South Wales, 2565

Read More

Inglewood, QLD - Presbyterian

Inglewood, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 13 Regent Street, , Inglewood Queensland, 4387

Read More

Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1878

Address: 94 Vivian Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360

In the beginning, services were conducted in the home of Mr. Colin Ross until 1857. This continued for a mere three years until a move was made to build a church on a Crown grant of 1 acre 3 roods 32 perches, Suburban allotment 6, dated 24th August, 1859. This is the date of the Title Deed but the actual building commenced earlier. This…

Read More

Inverleigh, VIC - Presbyterian

Inverleigh, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1861

Address: Western Highway, , Inverleigh Victoria, 3321

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Ipswich, QLD - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1864

Address: Corner Limestone & Gordon Streets, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

St Stephens Presbyterian Church stands as the second church to be constructed on the current site in 1864 - 1865. This striking gothic style brick church was designed by architect Joseph Backhouse and continues to be the place of worship for one the oldest congregations in Ipswich. The first Presbyterian church service held in Ipswich was…

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Ivanhoe, VIC - Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1927

Address: 10 Noel Street , , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

Originally a Presbyterian Church and later a Uniting Church. Prior to the construction of the Knox Presbyterian Church services were held by the Rev. Alex Hardie. in the Old State School, Ivanhoe, in the Old State School during March 1908. Rev. Hardie had been inducted to Heidelberg in September 1907. In April 1908, a Presbyterian school…

Read More

Jamberoo, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian (Former)

Jamberoo, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1875

Address: 2 Allowrie Street, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533

The Church was designed by John Colley and built in 1875 by John and James Marks, D. L. Dymock and W. Stewart. The church building was sold in 2009. Services were initially conducted in Dr. Menzies' barn by the Rev. John Tait, MA, the first minister of the Church of Scotland in Illawarra. The Church was opened and dedicated in the…

Read More

Jambin, QLD - Presbyterian

Jambin, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 31 Jambin Three Ways Road, , Jambin Queensland, 4702

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1903

Address: Corner Lisgar & Denison Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

Constructed of brick the foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1903 by Neil McCallum Esq.

Read More

Kalkallo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Kalkallo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 3 Cameron Street, , Kalkallo Victoria, 3064

The church was dedicated on 9 December 1860, having been erected earlier that year by William Brown of Darraweit Guim. It was designed by the architect Thomas Taylor, whose previous designs included two churches at nearby Bulla and the Melbourne Grammar School. The total cost of St John's church was £1,271 15s Od, paid for by local…

Read More

Kangaroo Ground, VIC - Presbyterian

Kangaroo Ground, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Graham & Eltham Yarra Glen Road, , Kangaroo Ground Victoria, 3097

From 1843 to 1853 the Rev Gunn conducted church services at regular intervals in the Donaldson's barn in Kangaroo Ground. The school was closely associated with the Church as officially it was Kangaroo Ground Presbyterian Church School No. 27. By 1853 the name had changed to Scots Church School and by 1854 to Church of Scotland School.…

Read More

Kaniva, VIC - Presbyterian

Kaniva, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1863

Address: Dungey Street, Kaniva, Victoria, 3419

In the Wimmera the first know church service was held at the Nhill Station Homestead by Reverend James Clow in 1848. In 1863, and on the 7th January, the first Presbytery of Wimmera met and was constituted with the Revs. James Megaw of Ararat, Patrick Simpson of Horsham, Mr Daniel Hill McMurtrie of the Lake Hindwtrsh Charge, and…

Read More

Kempton, TAS - Presbyterian (Former)

Kempton, TAS - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1886

Address: 88 Main Street, , Kempton Tasmainia, 7030

The Church was put up for sale in 2024.

Read More

Kenmore, QLD - Presbyterian

Kenmore, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 1 Pullenvale Road, , Kenmore Queensland, 40069

Read More

Kerang, VIC - St Andew's Presbyterian

Kerang, VIC - St Andew's Presbyterian

Address: 76 Victoria Street, , Kerang Victoria, 3579

Read More

Kiama, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian

Kiama, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian

Address: 40 Shoalhaven Street, , Kiama New South Wales, 2533

A heritage-listed church it was designed by Thomas Rowe and built from 1860 to 1863 by builders Moon & Simmons and carpenters Walker Bros. The Church has a slate roof, the internal walls plastered with a stone paved floor, timber trussed ceiling with hammer beam iron tier. All joinery is cedar. Sandstone was used in its construction…

Read More

Kilmore, VIC - St Andrew's Presyterian (Former)

Kilmore, VIC - St Andrew's Presyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1864

Address: 3 Hamilton Street, , Kilmore Victoria, 3764

The earlier records of this congregation have been lost, but apparently services were held at irregular intervals in the old Mechanics' Hall. These services were conducted by Mr. Donald McInnes.At the first Annual Meeting of the congregation held in October, 1852, the erection of a Free Church in Kilmore was unanimously agreed to, and Mr.…

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - Indonesian Presbyterian

Kingsford, NSW - Indonesian Presbyterian

Year Built: 1930

Address: 94 Houston Road, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by W. Cowan Esq 7th June 1930 Right Rev C.A. White BA State Moderator".

Read More

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian (Former)

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1888

Address: 319 Rossiter Road, , Koo Wee Rup Victoria, 3981

Presbyterian services first took place at the home of Mrs Hudson, who owned the Grange. Locals donated money to purchase a Church building and the Wesleyan building from Cranbourne was obtained at a cost of 70 pounds. This church, designed by Architect Alfred Dunn, had been erected in 1888 and it was transported to Koo-Wee-Rup on a large…

Read More

Kyabram, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Kyabram, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1906

Address: Church Street, , Kyabram Victoria, 3620

The Church was named St Davids in recognition of David Stewart Menzies, the patriarch of Kyabram Presbyterianism. * The Reverend W Thomson of Mooroopna started Presbyterian services in the Kyabram district in 1877 and continued until 1884. Services started in the Taripta School and then later in the home of Mr D.S. Menzies. One acre…

Read More

Kyogle, NSW - Gateway Presbyterian

Kyogle, NSW - Gateway Presbyterian

Year Built: 1939

Address: Cnr Groom & Stratheden Street, , Kyogle New South Wales, 2474

The Church dates from 1903, when a timber church was opened. The foundation stone of the present brick church was laid by the Moderator, the Right Reverend Norman McGhie, on Friday 3 March 1939. The church was opened and dedicated on Saturday 2 December 1939. A stone reads "This stone was set by Mrs W J Irwin on March 3rd 1939".

Read More

Lalor Park, NSW - Blacktown East Presbyterian

Lalor Park, NSW - Blacktown East Presbyterian

Address: 61 Hefron Road, , Lalor Park New South Wales, 2147

The church has been meeting at the current site since 1966. Before the church was built, services were held in a tent in what is now the car park.

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - St David's Presbyterian

Latrobe, TAS - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1879

Address: 7 Hamilton Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

Churches in circuit covered by the Latrobe Minister were Latrobe, Sassafras, Harford, Melrose, Aberdeen & Greenbanks. First Mission was held in Latrobe Circuit in 1910 by Rev. V. Trigge. The Church is built of brick, with freestone facings and a slate roof, after a design by William Gadsby, and has seating for 200 people. The Foundation…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Presbyterian

Launceston, TAS - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1859

Address: 5A Frederick Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The church was named after Thomas Chalmers, the leader of the Great Disruption. In Gothic Revival style, the architect was William Henry Clayton. The foundation stone was laid in 1859, and it was built over 1859 and 1860 by Messrs Roe and Rhodes with the buiding containing about 600,000 convict made bricks. The building, including the…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Launceston, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1849

Address: 36 St John Street, , Launceston Tasmania,

It was the second Presbyterian church to be built in the city of Launceston following the Scotch National Church on Charles Street (built 1831). The land was secured with a petition to Lieutenant-Governor, Sir William Thomas Denison for a lot of land occupied by one of the colony's original watch houses. The Building Committee…

Read More

Lavington, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Lavington, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 402 Wagga Rd, , Lavington New South Wales, 2641

Reverand Peter Gunn of the Gaelic Church Melbourne first visited Albury and it was he who laid the foundations of the church. He had already visited and baptised at Kilmore, Seymour, Longwood, Benalla, Wangaratta and Albury. The first mention of the Albury - Lavington area was made St David's Kirk Chronicle September 1936 where it says…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Leeton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Cypress & Sycamore Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 September 1957 by the Right Reverend E.H. Vines Moderator of the General Assembly of NSW.

Read More

Leongatha, VIC - Presbyterian

Leongatha, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1993

Address: Corner Bent & Turner Streets, , Leongatha Victoria, 3953

A plaque read, " To the Glory of God this church was opened by the Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Victoria the Right Rev Walter Zurrer on Saturday 24 July 1993".

Read More

Lidcombe, NSW - GracePoint Chinese Presbyterian

Lidcombe, NSW - GracePoint Chinese Presbyterian

Address: 36-40 James Street, , Lidcombe New South Wales, 2141

Read More

Lismore, VIC - Presbyterian

Lismore, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1864

Address: High Street, , Lismore Victoria, 3324

At the Congregational Meeting held on the 10th March, 1864, a motion was approved " that a church be built, that the building be of stone, according to a plan that may afterward be considered desirable." A building committee was appointed, consisting of Messrs J. L. Currie, John Logan and Archibald Glenn. On the 29th March the tender…

Read More

Liverpool, NSW - Presbyterian

Liverpool, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 117 Moore Street, , Liverpool New South Wales, 2170

Read More

Londondarrey, NSW - Presbyterian

Londondarrey, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 533 Londonderry Road, , Londonderry New South Wales, 2753

Read More

Long Beach, NSW - Presbyterian

Long Beach, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 16 Melaleuca Cres, , Lonbeach New South Wales, 2536

Read More

Maclagan, QLD - Presbyterian

Maclagan, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: Margaret Street, , Maclagan Queensland, 4352

Read More

Maclean, NSW - Free Presbyterian

Maclean, NSW - Free Presbyterian

Year Built: 1864

Address: 8 Wharf Street, , Maclean New South Wales,

A wall plaque reads, "Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia. This building erected in 1864, was the first building in town, and is the oldest church in the Clarence Valley still in continuous use. Services were conducted by a visiting minister until a call was made to the Reverend Duncan McInnes who was inducted into the church on July…

Read More

Maclean, NSW - Presbyterian

Maclean, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 283 River Street, , Maclean New South Wales, 2463

Read More

Maldon, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Maldon, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1905

Address: 1 Church Street, , Maldon Victoria, 3463

Formerly a Presbyterian Church it was sold in 2014 to raise funds for the church. The Foundation stone was laid by Mrs Margaret Oswald on 8 November 1905. The laying of the foundation stone of the new Presbyterian Church was performed in the presence of a large assemblage . . . despite the fact that the thermometer registered nearly…

Read More

Malvern, VIC - Presbyterian

Malvern, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 161 Wattle Tree Road, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

The church's foundation stone was laid on 16 December 1095 by another congregation member, elder, benefactor and Mayor of the Borough of Caulfield Charles Duplan Lloyd. The old wooden structure was moved to the new site and used as a Sunday school, with the congregation using Malvern Town Hall for worship while their new structure was…

Read More

Manly Lota, QLD - Presbyterian

Manly Lota, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 137 Oceana Terrace, , Lota Queensland, 4179

Read More