Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Roman Catholic


Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 33 Fawkner Street, , Aberfeldie Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone symbol of Christ chief corner stone of the church was blessed and laid by his Grace The Most Revd James R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. on 29th October 1967 Revd J.B. Wall P.P. - S.J. Moran Architect M.P. Arbon & Co Builder ".

Read More

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 350 Mortimer Road, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

A plaque reads, " This Church of Our Lady of Fatima was blessed and opened by His Grace The Most Rev P.M. O'Donnell D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday June 5th 1966. B.T. McLaughlin P.P.".

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: 33 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Built progressively, from the laying of the original foundation in 1851 to the completion of the bell-tower in 1996, this cathedral is considered a major Australian work of the Gothic Revival style. It is linked with a number of designers and builders, including the eminent English architects Charles Francis Hansom and Peter Paul Pugin.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 261 Grote Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

After the original church, that was located in West Terrace became too small it was decided to build a new one in Grote St. St Patrick’s Church was the principal place of Catholic worship in Adelaide until St Francis Xavier Cathedral opened on Wakefield Street in 1858. Alterations to the simple stone building of St Patrick’s Church…

Read More

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 34 Roberts Road, , Airport West Victoria, 3042

A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected to the Glory of God under the protection of St Christopher was solemeny blessed and the main altar consecrated by Most Rev John N. Cullinane D.D. V.G. P.P. on October 5th 1969. The Temple of God is sacred and you are that temple 1. Cor 3/17" - Rev F.R. J Phelan Parish Priest - Max Chester…

Read More

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: 4 Fahey's Road East, , Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

It was on 4 January 1986 that the Church became a Parish in its own right. Previously the Parish was part of Our Lady and St Dympna’s Parish, Aspley and the Holy Spirit Parish, Pine Rivers. Some three or four years prior to its founding as a Parish, the Brisbane Archdiocese purchased our Parish land in Fahey’s Road, Albany Creek, with…

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Olive & Smolett Streets, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

Father Charles Lovat, a pioneer priest from Yass, celebrated Albury's first Catholic mass on November 25, 1843 in a much smaller building at a different location. The present Church was opened on November 24, 1872. The priest who planned its construction was buried behind the altar. He was Dr. Michael McAlroy, Albury's parish priest from…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 36 Nihil Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.

Read More

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Warwick Street, , Allora Queensland, 4362

Read More

Alpha, QLD - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Alpha, QLD - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Address: 23 Dryden Street, , Alpha Queensland, 4724

Read More

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Altona, VIC - St Mary help of Christians Catholic

Address: Railway Street North, , Altona Victoria, 3018

The first Mass was held on 14 August 1922 by the Very Reverend John Barry the Cathedral Administrator. The venue for the early Masses was the Progress hall which eventually became a Baptist venue. The first Church was an historic timer building which serves as a church, primary school and entertainment centre. It was first located on…

Read More

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

In 1857 the parish was formed under the care of Father Ronald Rankin. He purchased a site and in September of the same year a tender was let for the construction of a 25ft by 12ft wooden building at a cost of 210 pounds. From 1858 the building was used as a church under the patronage of St James on Sundays and from the 1st of September…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.* A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Annerley, QLD - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Address: 616 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A group of parishioners approached Archbishop James Duhig with a proposal to construct a building that could serve the parish as both a church and a school. Their request was approved and land was subsequently purchased by Archbishop Duhig for £814 in October 1912. Only ten years after the opening of the original church, Archbishop…

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Apollo Bay, VIC - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Address: 4 Nelson Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

The Foundation stone was laid the Rev J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 3 September 1952. No further information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Aramara, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Aramara, QLD - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Address: Maryborough Biggenden Road, , Aramara Queensland,

The church was originally called Our Lady of the Way, became St Mary’s and lastly reverted to Our Lady of the Way. The Church now appears to be closed.

Read More

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: 304 Barkley Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a…

Read More

Ardross, WA - St Benedict's Catholic

Ardross, WA - St Benedict's Catholic

Address: 115 Ardross Street, , Ardross Western Australia, 6153

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 136 Dangar Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

Mr Joseph Daly donated £300 to purchase suitable land for the first Cathedral closer to the centre of town and a decision was made to purchase land from Thomas Bryan Fitzgerald on the north-western corner of Dangar and Barney Streets, Armidale. The cathedral, of brick construction and a shingled roof, was duly opened on the Feast of the…

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Ashburton, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 270 High Street, , Ashburton Victoria, 3147

The first Mass was conducted by Father Patrick Loughnan on Sunday 11 December 1927 at the Ashburton Hall located on the corner of High Street and Johnston Street, just west of the shopping centre. On 26 April 1946 Ashburton was created a parish, entrusted to the care of Father John Ryan who had been an army chaplain. As the parish grew he…

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 202 Waterworks Road, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 September 1955 by the Most Reverend J. Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Michael's Catholic

Ashgrove, QLD - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 250 Banks Street, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of Saint Michael Dorrington This Foundation stone was laid and blessed by his Grace Most Rev Francis Rush D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane 1st December 1974. Rev G.N. Lahiffe CS Sp PP".

Read More

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Auburn, SA - Our Lady of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1866

Address: Elder Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

A former Wesleyan church this Gothic Revival church was built in 1866 by Joseph Meller and Scott. Constructed from Auburn bluestone it has symbolic pillars capped with open bible design, stone cuts with fine lines. The building was later used as a Sunday School when the Wesleyans and Methodists merged until it was sold to the Catholic…

Read More

Auchenflower, QLD - Holy Spirit Catholic

Auchenflower, QLD - Holy Spirit Catholic

Address: 17 Harriett Street, , Auchenflower Queensland, 4066

Read More

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Avenel, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Corner Queen & Plummer Streets, , Avenel Victoria, 3664

Read More

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Avoca, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Address: Corner Barnett & Cambridge Streets, , Avoca Victoria, 3467

A brick church of 1872 with pointed windows, buttresses, porch and vestry. The Church was opened on 18 November 1979.

Read More

Axe Creek, VIC - St Josephs' Catholic

Axe Creek, VIC - St Josephs' Catholic

Address: Corner Axe Creek Road & Bendigo Road, , Axe Creek Victoria, 3551

Read More

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 15 Raglan Place East, , Axedale Victoria, 3551

Read More

Ayr, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Ayr, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 98 Edwards Street, , Ayr Queensland, 4807

The Church was erected in the 1890's. A plaque reads, " In recognition of the Centenary of Catholic History Parish of Brandon and Ayr formed by Dr Duhig Bishop of Rockhampton St Patrick's Day 1912. Parkside Parish formed 1955 - East Ayr Parish formed 19959 - Amalgamated as Sacred Heart Parish Ayr in 1977. This plaque was blessed by…

Read More

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Address: 61 Lerderderg Street, , Bacchus Marsh Victoria, 3340

The 1841 Census for this area recorded that there were only 14 Catholics out of a population of 112, an area that extended from the Upper Werribee to Melton. By 1851 a register entry listed the names of five infants who, were baptised:- James, the son of James and Fanny Toomey; Patrick, son of John and Margaret Leahy; Elizabeth,…

Read More

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Bairnsdale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 268 Main Street, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875

The History of St Mary's Catholic parish started in 1861 when a reservation of an area from the Lands Department of Victoria was made on the corner of Pyke and Nicholson streets with a frontage to Main street. By 1869 a suitable wooden building had been erected and was valued at £169. A new brick church was built in 1883. The current…

Read More

Balaclava, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Balaclava, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Address: 293 Carlisle Street, , Balaclava Victoria, 3183

Read More

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Year Built: 1884

Address: Victoria Street, , Ballarat East Victoria, 3350

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid December 11 1883 by the Honourable James Campbell M.L.C. Henry Richard Caselli was the supervising Architect.

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - St Columba's Catholic

Ballarat North, VIC - St Columba's Catholic

Address: 802 Armstrong Street, , Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: Corner Sturt & Dawson Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Although Catholic Services were conducted in Ballarat from 1851 onwards, the parish of Ballarat was not instituted until 1852. The first Parish Priest was Father Matthew Downing, who in 1853, selected the two acre site for the church, which was granted under a Crown Grant in 1855. The style of the church is early Gothic from the era of…

Read More

Ballimore, NSW - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Ballimore, NSW - Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic

Address: 42 Federation Street, , Ballimore New South Wales, 2830

Read More

Ballina, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Ballina, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Address: Corner Crane & Cherry Streets, , Ballina New South Wales, 2478

The Parish of Ballina was established in 1890 and in 1901 the first St Francis Xavier Church was opened.

Read More

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: 6 Eaton Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first St Augustine's was built in 1848 and designed by Augustus Pugin England's most influential early Victorian architect. In 1848 the Archbishop of Sydney put up a bond of 150 which would be voided unless part of a church or materials worth 400 were on site within 18 months. The "magnificent plot of land [was] beautifully…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Year Built: 1930

Address: 19 Brenbeal Street, , Balwyn Victoria,

The church was presumably named after the Irish theological college, All Hallows College in Dublin, where the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix, had studied. The building and site, together with furnishings and ground improvements, cost £3964 in total (Advocate 16 January 1930:22). The Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds. The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev.…

Read More