Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Denomination: Roman Catholic


Gordon Park, QLD - St Carthage's Catholic

Gordon Park, QLD - St Carthage's Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 115 Beaconsfield Terrace, , Gordon Park Queensland, 4031

In 1928 Archbishop Duhig purchased the block of some 28 allotments that made up the roughly triangular block of the hill top of Gordon Park with the intention of building a Church/School and later a Church and School. A Foundation stone reads, " St Carthage Gordon Park This commemorative stone was blessed and laid by The Most Rev…

Read More

Gordon, NSW - St Francis Catholic

Gordon, NSW - St Francis Catholic

Address: 21 St Johns Avenue, , Gordon New South Wales, 2072

Read More

Gordon, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Gordon, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: Corner Old Melbourne & Carey Road, , Gordon Victoria, 3345

St. Patrick's Parish, was established in 1875 and incorporates a church and school in each of Ballan, Gordon and Springbank. The land and a sum of one hundred and £90 for the stonework, nave, porch and tower was donated by Ryan brothers of Millbrook. The Architect was Henry R Caselli of Ballarat, the builders, Jenkin and Lewis. The…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Goulburn, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Address: 97 Lagoon Street, , Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

Five sisters of St Joseph arrived in Goulburn in 1882 and settled in a convent built in North Goulburn, establishing St Joseph’s primary and secondary schools. The north Goulburn parish thrived and the first church was replaced by the Church of Our Lady of Fatima

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Peter & Paul's Catholic Cathedral

Goulburn, NSW - St Peter & Paul's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1843

Address: Bourke Street, Goulburn, New South Wales, 2580

The first Mass in the Goulburn District was celebrated by Father Therry in 1833 at Matt Healey's Inn (now called Riversdale). The Cathedral was built in two stages and was constructed around the original 1843 church (when the cathedral exterior was completed the old church was demolished and the materials were removed outside through…

Read More

Grafton, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Grafton, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1914

Address: 1 Victoria Street, , Grafton New South Wales,

The Church was destroyed by fire on April 29, 1913. Opened by Bishop O'Connor, of Armidale on Sunday, November 29, 1914, in the presence of church hierarchy from as far afield as Melbourne. Built of red brick and stucco facing is very handsome in its Gothic design, large in size, length and breadth and in the usual cruciform shape. The…

Read More

Graman, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Graman, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Address: 10 Graman Road, , Graman New South Wales, 2360

The Church has been in several private hands and was sold initially around 2013.

Read More

Grandchester, QLD - St Peter's Catholic (Former)

Grandchester, QLD - St Peter's Catholic (Former)

Address: 7 George Street, , Grandchester Queensland, 4340

St Peter's was built on the site of the Old Jockey Club Inn, in 1894 by James Madden, to a design by Ipswich architect Henry Wyman. It was officially opened and blessed on 4th November 1894 by Archbishop Dunne, who had officiated at the request of Father Andrew Horan of Ipswich. The Church was sold in 2022.

Read More

Granham, QLD - St Gabriel's Catholic

Granham, QLD - St Gabriel's Catholic

Address: Victor Street, , Grantham Queensland, 4347

Read More

Greenmount, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Greenmount, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 8 Warkon Road, , Greenmount Queensland, 4359

The foundation stone was laid on 9 March 1958 by the Most Reverend W. Brennan Bishop of Toowoomba.

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The land on which the church resides was originally owned by Mrs Edith Santon. She did not want it sold and subdivided. The first services were held in the Santon homestead in 1952. The house was later to be used as the Presbytery until about 1970. By 1954 work commenced on five school buildings and completed and opened in 1955 by…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: Diamond Creek Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

This church broke away from St Mary's Catholic in Greensborough in 1986.

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: Weddin Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

As early as 1838 when Yass was established as the first Ecclesiastical district in the interior of Australia, the whole area from Yass to Melbourne was served by a solitary dedicated priest. The first of these was Fr Brennan followed in 1839 by Fr Lovatt and in 1847 by Fr Magennis. In July 1884 Grenfell and Gooloogong were cut off…

Read More

Greystanes, NSW - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Greystanes, NSW - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1975

Address: 198 Old Prospect Road, , Greystanes New South Wales, 2145

The Church was built when Fr Roland Darmenia was Parish Priest. It was blessed and opened by His Eminence, Sir James Darcy Cardinal Freeman on 20th April, 1975. After extensive renovations it was solemnly dedicated by Bishop Bede Heather on 7th July, 1996.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Griffith, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Warrambool Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

Read More

Grong Grong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Grong Grong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Balaro Street, , Grong Grong New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Gulgong, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Gulgong, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2853

The Church was built in 1885 at a cost of £2250. The design is Flemish bonding on red brickwork. It replaced an earlier Catholic Church which was built during the town's first goldrush.

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: 121 Sheridan Street, Gundagai, New South Wales, 2722

The original church was built in 1885. Opened in 1885, the church is of neo-gothic style. The architect EC Manfred studied under Edmund Blackett who also designed the Church of England in Tumut, and the St Andrew’s Cathedral, George Street Sydney.

Read More

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Harp & Morning Street, , Gundaroo New South Wales, 2620

Established in 1881.

Read More

Gungal, NSW - St Anthony of Padua Catholic

Gungal, NSW - St Anthony of Padua Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 2757 Golden Highway, , Gangul New South Wales, 2333

A plaque reads, "Celebrating the Centenary of St Anthony's Catholic Church 1911 - 2011".

Read More

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 1 Cullavin Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

The first church was erected on this site in 1859. The current church was erected in 1973. The Foundation stone was laid on 9 September 1973 by Archbishop Thomas V Cahill.

Read More

Guyra, NSW - St Mary of the Angles Catholic

Guyra, NSW - St Mary of the Angles Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: 47 Malpas Street, , Guyra New South Wales, 2365

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of St Mary the Angles - This stone was laid by the Right Rev Dr O'Connor Bishop of Armidale on the 15th March 1908".

Read More

Hall, ACT - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Hall, ACT - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: 220 Victoria Street, , Hall Australian Capital Territory, 2618

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and laid 9th June 1907 by Most Rev John Gallagher D.D. Bishop of Goulburn Very Rev J.F. Leonard P.P.".

Read More

Hamilton, QLD - St Cecilia's Catholic

Hamilton, QLD - St Cecilia's Catholic

Address: 24 College Street, , Hamilton Queensland, 4007

The property on which the church stands was purchased by the Catholic Church in January 1913 at a cost of £1450. The church was designed by notable architect Thomas Ramsay Hall and is a fine example of the Federation Carpenter Gothic style of architecture. A brick addition to the church porch was constructed in 1956.

Read More

Hamilton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Hamilton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 23 Dinwoodie Street, , Hamilton Victoria, 3300

In the early days Hamilton was part of the Portland Parish and hence Ministers came from there. The first Mass was held on 22 May 1848 by Father Kavanagh. The first part of the Church to be opened was conducted on 12 August 1866. The work commenced by Father Kavanagh was completed by the laying of a memorial stone on 30 May 1900 by…

Read More

Hampton, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour & St Andrews Catholic

Hampton, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour & St Andrews Catholic

Address: 40 Ludstone Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

Read More

Hampton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Hampton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1925

Address: 59 Holyrood Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

In 1924 the Sandringham parish priest, Father Mangan, bought land for this purpose at a cost of £2,000. The land Father Mangan had to purchase was part of the Margarita Estate, approximately 20 acres of land stretching from South Road to Holyrood Street. Dr Henry Backhaus, a priest who had moved to the area from Bendigo upon his…

Read More

Hampton. VIC - Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic

Hampton. VIC - Immaculate Heart of Mary Catholic

Address: 441 Bluff Road, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

Read More

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Year Built: 1972

Address: Ash Street, , Hanwood New South Wales, 2680

Tiziano Forlico was the Architect/builder for the Church. It celebrated its 50th year anniversery in 2023. The Foundation stone was laid on 3 December 1972 by the Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Harden, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Harden, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Year Built: 1934

Address: Albury Street, , Harden New South Wales, 2587

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 June 1934 by the Bishop of Goulburn the Most Reverend John Barry D.D.

Read More

Harrietville, VIC - St Francis of Assisi Catholic

Harrietville, VIC - St Francis of Assisi Catholic

Address: 215 Great Alpine Road, , Harrietville Victoria, 3741

Originally located in Buckland it was moved to its present site in 1922.

Read More

Harris Park, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett Catholic

Harris Park, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett Catholic

Year Built: 1929

Address: 35 Wigram Street, , Harris Park New South Wales, 2150

The Freemans Journal of 17 October 1929 described the laying of the foundation stone as thus, The building is of brick and is being built on a block of ground adjacent to the home of the Sisters of Mercy, who have their College at Parramatta. The ground, which is about three-quarters of an acre, was bought for £1254, and the building,…

Read More

Hartley, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Hartley, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1848

Address: Old Great Western Highway, , Hartley New South Wales, 2790

A historical plate reads, Completed in c1848, the Church was funded by popular subscription, led by two prominent Irish families of the Hartley district: the Finns and the Grants. Designed and built by Alexander Binning, the church is made from sandstone sourced from a quarry at South Bowenfels, near Lithgow. Prior to the construction…

Read More

Hastings, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Hastings, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Address: 71 Marine Parade, , Hastings Victoria, 3915

Read More

Hawthorn, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Hawthorn, VIC - Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1869

Address: 345 Burwood Road, , Hawthorn Victoria,

The first section was built in 1867-69 and the chancel choir and tower were built in 1891, followed by further additions in 1913, 1921, and 1961. The spatially complex interior includes three Eastern apses of equal height and incorporates stained glass by Ferguson, Urie & Lyon; Mayer, Montgomery and Brooks Robinson. Constructed in…

Read More

Haymarket, NSW - St Peter Julian Catholic

Haymarket, NSW - St Peter Julian Catholic

Address: 641 George Street, , Haymarket New South Wales, 2000

Read More

Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic

Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: Corner High & Ryrie Streets, , Healesville Victoria, 3777

November 1899 saw the first new parish mission established in Healesville by Reverend Patrick Gleeson who had arrived in Melbourne from Ireland on September 9. He had already served at West Melbourne, Mansfield, Castlemaine and St Kilda East before arriving in Healesville. At the turn of the 20th century St Bridget's Hall on the…

Read More

Heathcote, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Heathcote, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1917

Address: Corner Ebden & Pohlman Street, , Heathcote Victoria, 3523

The first priest to administer to the catholics in the Heathcote area was the Rev. Fr. Charles Clarke, who had arrived in Kilmore on April 20 1849. It was at this time that the Bishop of Melbourne, James Alipius Goold, created Kilmore a separate mission from Melbourne. His Parish extended all the way to Gisborne, Woodend, Kyneton,…

Read More

Heidelberg, VIC - St John's Catholic

Heidelberg, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1909

Address: Corner Cape & Yarra Streets, , Heidelberg Victoria, 3084

The Church was designed by William W Wardell and commenced in 1860 under the supervision of J B Denny. It was completed in 1909 largely to Wardell's design, under Kempson and Conolly. The Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1909 by the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Helensburgh, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic