Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Organ Manufacturer: George Fincham & Son


Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Address: Corner Bridport & Ferrars Streets, , Albert Park Victoria, 3206

First services were held in the Albert Hall, Bevan Street, then for 50 years in a wooden building on the site of the present service station. It was enlarged in stages. The present building was constructed by Melbourne church architect Louis Williams in 1925. In 1969 the Hall was incorporated into the lower part of the Church building.…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1898

Address: 88 Kooyong Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 July 1898 by Mrs Westmore G. Stephens. The Architect was Sydney Smith and Ogg and the builder was A Parker. It was designed in an advanced Romanesque style in red brick with stucco dressings, dark brick diapering, chequerboard gable treatment and fleche on the roof ridge. The building was later…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Sturt & Dawson Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Although Catholic Services were conducted in Ballarat from 1851 onwards, the parish of Ballarat was not instituted until 1852. The first Parish Priest was Father Matthew Downing, who in 1853, selected the two acre site for the church, which was granted under a Crown Grant in 1855. The style of the church is early Gothic from the era of…

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Church & Mitchell Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The Foundation stone was laid David Maughan Esq on 17 May 1905.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Box Hill, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: Corner Whitehorse Road & Bruce Street, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first Presbyterian Church Service was held on 6 February 1867 by the Rev W Rolland. By 1887 a Theological student by the name of Alex Walker was engaged to run services at both Box Hill and Surrey Hills. The original site for the first church was Court Street and a wooden building was opened in July 1889. A larger weatherboard…

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 281 Glen Ira Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street. In 1859 steps were taken to build a Church, which for some years was known as '"All Saints." Sir George Stephen gave a quarter of an acre of land, on…

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1876

Address: 61 Queens Parade, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

Construction commenced in 1876 and by July the walls were being erected. The Foundation stone was laid in 1876. The Architect was J.B. Denny. The spire was added in 1907.

Read More

Cressy, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Cressy, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1912

Address: Cressy Road, , Cressy Victoria, 3322

The foundation stone was laid in 1911 by Mrs John Nelson of Kilernie and the building opened in 1913, together with a new manse that has since been destroyed. The boarded decoration in the gable of the faade and porch has since been removed. The interior includes several stained glass windows and its original pulpit and pews.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Ewing Memorial Uniting

East Malvern, VIC - Ewing Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: Corner Burke Road & Coppin Streets, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

An article in the Melbourne Age Newspaper of 1st August 1910 describes the laying of the Foundation stone, "On Saturday afternoon the foundation stone of the Ewing Memorial Presbyterian Church, Burke road East Malvern. was laid by Mr. J. M. Davis President of the Legislative Council, in the presence of a large gathering. Previous to the…

Read More

Glen Iris, VIC - Uniting

Glen Iris, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1932

Address: 200 Glen Iris Road, , Glen Iris Victoria, 3146

The first service was held in 1862 in the house of Mr. Robinson in Albion Road; then in a house (some say a wool shed), owned by him, which stood somewhere near where St. Oswald's Church is now erected in High Street. The music was supplied by a Mrs. Mann, who played a concertina. Second-hand bricks for the construction of the Church…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Greensborough, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Corner Main Street & Church Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

Church of England services can be traced back to around 1886. The first services took place in a barn owned by Major Anthony Bealle who "selected" St Helena near Greensborough in 1839. A weatherboard church along with a school and vicarage were built in 1889 and were located where the current church is situated. The school was…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1889

Address: 284 Elizabeth Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The original Tabernacle on this site was constructed in 1883 and took just six days. It was cobbled together from packing cases, old timber and tin with salvaged iron beams as supports. In 1884 the foundation stone was laid for a new building to be used as a church. Later it became tine Sunday School when the larger Tabernacle was…

Read More

Lane Cove, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Lane Cove, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: 204 Longueville Road, , Lane Cove New South Wales, 2066

The Church was built in 1926, after foundation of the parish in 1922. The building was replaced by a new church on the site in 1976.

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Church of the Apostles Catholic

Launceston, TAS - Church of the Apostles Catholic

Year Built: 1865

Address: 44 Margaret Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The foundation stone for the St Joseph's church was laid on 19 March 1839 by Rev. Gentleman, and the church was inaugurated in October 1842. Two decades later, St. Joseph's Church began to show signs of decay, and it was decided to replace it with a larger church. The plans for the new church were drawn by the Tasmanian architect Henry…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Launceston, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1901

Address: 32 Cameron Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Of Gothic-Revival design and built of red brick and sandstone in 1901 replacing an earlier building. It was opened in the following year. One of Alexander North's most successful architectural works. It has the chancel, transepts and crossing. He was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England. The building incorporates a five-bay aisled…

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - All Souls Anglican

Leichhardt, NSW - All Souls Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 126 Norton Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

On January 7th, 1882 the original All Souls' church was opened for worship. The building and the land together cost 800. The church was designed by the architectural firm founded by Edmund T. Blacket, the great Anglican Church architect of the nineteenth century. Designed in the early English gothic style and built in brick masonry…

Read More

Lindfield, NSW - St Alban's Anglican

Lindfield, NSW - St Alban's Anglican

Address: 3 Lindfield Avenue, , Lindfield New South Wales, 2070

A wall plaque reads in part, " This plaque replaces the original chancel stone laid and dedicated by His Grace The Most Reverend H. Mowll DD Archbishop of Sydney 10th July ??."

Read More

Lindfield, NSW - Uniting

Lindfield, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1914

Address: 33 Tyron Road, , Lindfield New South Wales, 2070

The Church was designed by William Slade and opened in September 1914. It replaced an earlier building constructed near the railway station on the corner of Tryon Place and Gordon Road (now the Pacific Highway) in 1896. A new sanctuary reredos, communion table and rails were provided in 1935 to the designs of Norman W. McPherson.…

Read More

Malvern, VIC - Korean Uniting

Malvern, VIC - Korean Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: 23 Glendearg Grove, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

A Memorial stone was laid on 8 October 1904 by the Honable W.H. Edgar MLC. The Architect was B Goodridge. Another stone was laid on the same date by F.J. Cato Esq.

Read More

Malvern, VIC - Presbyterian

Malvern, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 161 Wattle Tree Road, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

The church's foundation stone was laid on 16 December 1095 by another congregation member, elder, benefactor and Mayor of the Borough of Caulfield Charles Duplan Lloyd. The old wooden structure was moved to the new site and used as a Sunday school, with the congregation using Malvern Town Hall for worship while their new structure was…

Read More

Mentone, VIC - Davies Memorial Uniting

Mentone, VIC - Davies Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: 74 Venice Street, , Mentone Victoria, 3194

The church is styled after the Gothic Revival approach by architect Charles Figgis, who also created the Mentone Hotel. Mentone was moved by news of the passing of Mrs Mary Davies in 1887. Mother to nine children, she had been a tireless worker for the community and devoted member of the Presbyterian church. In honour of her name,…

Read More

Moorabbin, VIC - St James Lutheran

Moorabbin, VIC - St James Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: 416 South Road, , Moorabbin Victoria,

The Church was dedicated on the 24th of September 1956 by Rev E Wiebusch vice President of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. The Church has been turned into a block of flats and retained the original church facia. A Foundation stone reads, " Eph, 2:19:22 To the Glory of God St James Lutheran Church 18-12-1955".

Read More

Mosman, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Mosman, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 4 Heydon Street, , Mosman New South Wales, 2088

A Foundation stone reads, To the Glory of God this Church of St Luke was consecrated by the Most Reverend Loane MA DD Archbishop of Sydney 30th October 1966 Rev Noel ??? ThL A further Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set by the Most Reverend H.W.K. Mowll CMG DD Archbishop of Sydney & Primate 23 X11 Canon Ernest Cameron 1957…

Read More

New Town, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

New Town, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 2 Cross Street, , New Town Tasmania, 7008

The church was established largely as a result of the work of Father P. R. Hennebry and took four years to complete. The church opened in 1880, and the sanctuary was completed in 1882.

Read More

New Town, TAS - St James Anglican

New Town, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1916

Address: Rupert Street, , New Town Tasmania, 7008

William Gilchrist Watt and his wife Catherine came from Montreal, Canada, to Hobart in 1900 and bought a large house in Augusta. Road New Town. They had independent means and while in Canada were closely associated with the Church of England. After the death of her husband in 1914, Mrs Catherine Gilchrist Watt had the Church of St James…

Read More

North Albury, NSW - St David's Uniting

North Albury, NSW - St David's Uniting

Year Built: 1905

Address: 593 Olive Street, , North Albury New South Wales, 2640

The Church was designed by Melbourne architects Campell & Kernot who also desired Presbyterian Churches in Camberwell, Kyabram, Narrandera and Germanton (Holbrook). A foundation stone reads, "Presbyterian Church This stone was laid by John Ross Esq J.P. of Kinross 14th June 1905".

Read More

Parkville, VIC - Mar Thoma Syrian Christian

Parkville, VIC - Mar Thoma Syrian Christian

Address: 149 Royal Parade, , Parkville Victoria, 3052

The College Church congregation initially worshipped in Ormond College in 1891. In 1895 they purchased the site of the present building. Architects were R.A. Lawson. The building, constructed by Lang Brothers of Parkville at a cost of 2,170, and was opened in 1898. The church is constructed of red brick and Oamaru sandstone with a…

Read More

Surry Hills, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Surry Hills, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1918

Address: 235 Devonshire Street, , Surry Hills New South Wales, 2010

The Catholic Church and parish of St Peter’s Surry Hills was established in 1880. It arose out of the need to serve a very densely settled and highly Catholic Surry Hills, which had a strong Irish population. On the 19th of September 1880, Archbishop Vaughan laid the foundation stone. The present church, built in Gothic style, was…

Read More

Upper Ferntree Gully, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Upper Ferntree Gully, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 17 Mount View Road, , Upper Ferntree Gully Victoria, 3156

The original Church was built of timber and cost 80 at Lysterfield and was blessed and opened by Archbishop Clarke in August 1906. In 1922 this Church was moved by a team of horses to the site of the present Church.* The Foundation stone of the current Church was laid on 30 May 1959 by the Right Reverend J.D. McKie M.A. Bishop…

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: Church Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was constructed in about 1890 and is designed in Victorian Academic Gothic style and is built of brick and sandstone. The Original Foundation stone was laid on 6 October 1869 by Sir Alfred Steven Chief Justice of New South Wales. The steep, gabled roof is clad with slate. St Andrew's has a landmark tower…

Read More

Warragul, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Warragul, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Address: 96 Victoria Street, , Warragul Victoria, 3820

The Church of England held services up till this time in various buildings in the Warragul district, one of which was Spong's Butcher Shop, another was the Atheneum which was the earliest building used as a hall in Warragul. Established in 1879. The first services in the district were conducted by the Reverend P J Smith at Brandy Creek in…

Read More

Warrnambool, VIC - Baptist

Warrnambool, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1869

Address: 207 Koriot Street, , Warrnambool Victoria, 3280

The first Baptist church was erected in 1869 after the land was procurred in 1865. This church was extended in 1874 and remodelled in 1961. The Foundation stone at that time was laid by Reverend F Marsh President General of the Baptist Union on 26 March 1969.

Read More

West Geelong, VIC - St Peter and St Paul Catholic

West Geelong, VIC - St Peter and St Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: Mercer Street, , Geelong West Victoria, 3218

On the 25's October 1849, Acting Vicar-General, Rev. N.J. Coffey applied for 2 acres of land near the village of Ashby. The-Governors finally approved the grant on 25 October 1850. By 1855, a brick school had been built on the site now occupied by the Presbytery. The school was used as a venue to celebrate mass on Sundays and holidays of…

Read More

West Melbourne, VIC - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

West Melbourne, VIC - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1900

Address: 33 Howard Street, , North Melbourne Victoria, 3051

The foundation stone for the first church was laid on 14 of May 1854. The church was a modest graceful stone building, which was completed in six months at a cost of 4,400. It was intended to be a place of worship on Sundays and a Catholic school during the week. The current Church considered to be the largest parish church in…

Read More