Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Organ Manufacturer: George Fincham


Mosman, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Mosman, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 4 Heydon Street, , Mosman New South Wales, 2088

A Foundation stone reads, To the Glory of God this Church of St Luke was consecrated by the Most Reverend Loane MA DD Archbishop of Sydney 30th October 1966 Rev Noel ??? ThL A further Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set by the Most Reverend H.W.K. Mowll CMG DD Archbishop of Sydney & Primate 23 X11 Canon Ernest Cameron 1957…

Read More

Mt Eliza, VIC - St James the Less Anglican

Mt Eliza, VIC - St James the Less Anglican

Year Built: 1865

Address: 105 Koetong Parade, , Mt Eliza Victoria, 3930

The Church was designed by William Grover. Constructed in brick, and painted white, on stone foundations, in the Norman style, it includes a short nave, porch and chancel, added in 1913. The first service was held in 1866 by the Rev Thomas Abraham, the vicar at Mornington. The site was given by a Captain Edward Lintott. A committee was…

Read More

New Town, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

New Town, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 2 Cross Street, , New Town Tasmania, 7008

The church was established largely as a result of the work of Father P. R. Hennebry and took four years to complete. The church opened in 1880, and the sanctuary was completed in 1882.

Read More

New Town, TAS - St James Anglican

New Town, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1916

Address: Rupert Street, , New Town Tasmania, 7008

William Gilchrist Watt and his wife Catherine came from Montreal, Canada, to Hobart in 1900 and bought a large house in Augusta. Road New Town. They had independent means and while in Canada were closely associated with the Church of England. After the death of her husband in 1914, Mrs Catherine Gilchrist Watt had the Church of St James…

Read More

North Albury, NSW - St David's Uniting

North Albury, NSW - St David's Uniting

Year Built: 1905

Address: 593 Olive Street, , North Albury New South Wales, 2640

The Church was designed by Melbourne architects Campell & Kernot who also desired Presbyterian Churches in Camberwell, Kyabram, Narrandera and Germanton (Holbrook). A foundation stone reads, "Presbyterian Church This stone was laid by John Ross Esq J.P. of Kinross 14th June 1905".

Read More

Parkville, VIC - Mar Thoma Syrian Christian

Parkville, VIC - Mar Thoma Syrian Christian

Address: 149 Royal Parade, , Parkville Victoria, 3052

The College Church congregation initially worshipped in Ormond College in 1891. In 1895 they purchased the site of the present building. Architects were R.A. Lawson. The building, constructed by Lang Brothers of Parkville at a cost of 2,170, and was opened in 1898. The church is constructed of red brick and Oamaru sandstone with a…

Read More

Portland, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Portland, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Address: 57 Julia Street, , Portland Victoria, 3305

Read More

Prahran, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Prahran, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: 157A High Street, , Prahran Victoria, 3181

St Matthew's was built to the designs of architects Terry & Oakden, the contractors were Purves and Rankine. Building commenced in July 1877 and the foundation stone was laid by Bishop James Moorehouse on Saturday the 1st of September 1877. It was formally opened by Bishop Moorehouse on the afternoon of Friday 28th June 1878.. A…

Read More

Preston, VIC - Uniting

Preston, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1894

Address: Corner Tyler & High Street, , Preston Victoria, 3072

Preston Uniting was originally a Methodist church and its history goes back to the earliest days of white settlement at Port Phillip. The founding fathers who bought the land for £20 in 1854 from Samuel Jeffrey were Brian Abbey, farmer (Newlands); Robert Christie, farmer (Plenty River); Peter Dredge storekeeper (Pentridge); Francis…

Read More

Queenscliff, VIC - St George the Martyr Anglican

Queenscliff, VIC - St George the Martyr Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: 22 Hobson Street, , Queenscliff Victoria,

In 1858 Wesleyan ministers visited the town and services were held at Pilot Reid's home. and also at Mr Simpkin Snr's home. The congregation soon became too large to meet in private homes, and so the Queenscliff Reading Room was rented for services. The Rev. Francis Tuckfield arranged to build a wooden church measuring 18 feet by 30 feet,…

Read More

Richmond, VIC - St Ignatius Catholic

Richmond, VIC - St Ignatius Catholic

Year Built: 1867

Address: Richmond Hill Church Street, , Richmond Victoria, 3121

The church was designed by English born architect William Wardell who had already made a name for himself in England and was also responsible for many of Melbourne's most important early buildings including St Patrick's Cathedral. Like St Patrick's it is in the Gothic Revival style and constructed from local bluestone. The foundation…

Read More

Sale, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Sale, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 149 Cunninghame Street, , Sale Victoria, 3850

The Parish came into being in 1854 and was licenced in 1857. In 1904 the Diocese was proclaimed along with the new country dioceses of Bendigo and Wangaratta. The land for the new St Paul's Church of England was purchased in 1882 for £1,500. The Official opening was on the 5th November 1884. A substantial brick church, designed by…

Read More

St Arnaud, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

St Arnaud, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Corner Queens Avenue & Raglan Streets, , St Arnaud Victoria, 3478

Early in 1862 a committee was formed to establish how many followers of the faith were in the region. By April of the same year an application for a grant of land was made. Monthly services were commenced and conducted by Reverend T.B. Garlick on Avoca and Reverend W. Hall of Kingower.* Tenders were called in 1864 for a church that…

Read More

St Kilda East, VIC - Holy Trinity St Nicholas Russian Catholic

St Kilda East, VIC - Holy Trinity St Nicholas Russian Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 72 Hotham Street, , St Kilda East Victoria, 3183

Constructed in polychrome brick, with stone dressings, in a high Victorian Gothic style, it was designed by architects Hillson Beasley and John Little.1 The building replaced an earlier wooden church that had been located in Westbury Street. The building is composed of red bricks, with Osmaru stone dressings. The windows are of colored…

Read More

Surry Hills, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Surry Hills, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1918

Address: 235 Devonshire Street, , Surry Hills New South Wales, 2010

The Catholic Church and parish of St Peter’s Surry Hills was established in 1880. It arose out of the need to serve a very densely settled and highly Catholic Surry Hills, which had a strong Irish population. On the 19th of September 1880, Archbishop Vaughan laid the foundation stone. The present church, built in Gothic style, was…

Read More

Tarrington, VIC - St Michael's Lutheran

Tarrington, VIC - St Michael's Lutheran

Year Built: 1927

Address: 7901 Hamilton Highway, , Tarrington Victoria, 3301

The first Church was built about 1854, was a pug and timber framed church with a thatched roof, the second was a bluestone church, built in 1858 and the third, also bluestone, built in 1863, which was burnt down in 1944. The present church was erected in 1927. It is built of pressed red bricks with unpainted render details in a late…

Read More

Upper Ferntree Gully, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Upper Ferntree Gully, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 17 Mount View Road, , Upper Ferntree Gully Victoria, 3156

The original Church was built of timber and cost 80 at Lysterfield and was blessed and opened by Archbishop Clarke in August 1906. In 1922 this Church was moved by a team of horses to the site of the present Church.* The Foundation stone of the current Church was laid on 30 May 1959 by the Right Reverend J.D. McKie M.A. Bishop…

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: Church Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was constructed in about 1890 and is designed in Victorian Academic Gothic style and is built of brick and sandstone. The Original Foundation stone was laid on 6 October 1869 by Sir Alfred Steven Chief Justice of New South Wales. The steep, gabled roof is clad with slate. St Andrew's has a landmark tower…

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Michael's Catholic Cathedral

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Michael's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1885

Address: Church Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

The Cathedral was built as St Michael's Parish Church in 1885-87. The Foundation stone was laid on 26 April 1885. The architects were Tappin, Gilbert & Dennehy, of Melbourne, and it was opened in 1887. The second stage followed in 1922-25, to the designs of architect W.J. Monks, at a cost of 34,894. When the Diocese of Wagga was formed…

Read More

Walla Walla, NSW - Zion Lutheran

Walla Walla, NSW - Zion Lutheran

Address: 17 Commercial Street, , Walla Walla New South Wales, 2659

The original Lutheran church was built from white granite in 1872. The present Zion Lutheran Church was built in 1924 and it is the largest Lutheran Church in New South Wales, with seating for almost 600 people. The church is characterised by its stained glass windows and its massive pipe organ. A second church, built of sandstone…

Read More

Warragul, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Warragul, VIC - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Address: 96 Victoria Street, , Warragul Victoria, 3820

The Church of England held services up till this time in various buildings in the Warragul district, one of which was Spong's Butcher Shop, another was the Atheneum which was the earliest building used as a hall in Warragul. Established in 1879. The first services in the district were conducted by the Reverend P J Smith at Brandy Creek in…

Read More

Warrnambool, VIC - Baptist

Warrnambool, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1869

Address: 207 Koriot Street, , Warrnambool Victoria, 3280

The first Baptist church was erected in 1869 after the land was procurred in 1865. This church was extended in 1874 and remodelled in 1961. The Foundation stone at that time was laid by Reverend F Marsh President General of the Baptist Union on 26 March 1969.

Read More

West Geelong, VIC - St Peter and St Paul Catholic

West Geelong, VIC - St Peter and St Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: Mercer Street, , Geelong West Victoria, 3218

On the 25's October 1849, Acting Vicar-General, Rev. N.J. Coffey applied for 2 acres of land near the village of Ashby. The-Governors finally approved the grant on 25 October 1850. By 1855, a brick school had been built on the site now occupied by the Presbytery. The school was used as a venue to celebrate mass on Sundays and holidays of…

Read More

West Melbourne, VIC - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

West Melbourne, VIC - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1900

Address: 33 Howard Street, , North Melbourne Victoria, 3051

The foundation stone for the first church was laid on 14 of May 1854. The church was a modest graceful stone building, which was completed in six months at a cost of 4,400. It was intended to be a place of worship on Sundays and a Catholic school during the week. The current Church considered to be the largest parish church in…

Read More