Year Built: 1959
Address: Corner King Street & Ararat Pomonal Road, , Ararat Victoria, 3377
Formerly a Presbyterian Church that was first considered at a meeting on 16 June 1858 with Mr Robert Allan, being the first Secretary. On 10 September 1858 the first service was held under the leadership of Dr Cairns.* On 10 February 1859 the Church was opened under the stewardship of Rev William MackIntosh. The debt for the church and…
Year Built: 1854
Address: 217 - 233 Darling Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041
The foundation stone was laid on 3 August 1854. The architects were Messrs Goold and Field. The Church building is an example of early stone Victorian Free Gothic style constructed in 1854-55. The Church and associated Halls retain their original form, scale and details particularly the stone façade. The dimensions were quoted as…
Year Built: 1934
Address: Corner State Circle & Canberra Avenue, , Barton Australian Capital Territory, 2600
A sandstone Church in an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style. The side tower is square with a sandstone spire. The interior fills the usual sanctuary area and has fine joinery, particularly in the pulpit and screens. It contains many memorials of National importance. The Foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1929 by His Excellency…
Year Built: 1857
Address: Corner Ford & Williams Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747
The foundation stone of the Beechworth Presbyterian Church was laid by the Rev. James Nish, of Sandhurst, on 6th July, 1857. St Andrew's Church was built by the Scottish and Ulster Presbyterians who settled in north-east Victoria in the mid-nineteenth century. The church is a five-bay Gothic Revival design of cement stucco, built in 1857.…
Year Built: 1930
Address: 26 Myers St, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
A Foundation stone was laid by Mrs William Hunter on 22 March 1930. The Architects of the current Church were G.D. Garvin and C Eathorne. A stuccoed brick church of 1930, which is quite idiosyncratic in detail and gains its distinctive character from the eclectic and not entirely felicitous low relief cement decoration.
Year Built: 1885
Address: 105 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806
The first service was held in 1856 in Narre Warren at the residence of Mr Catenach on a fortnightly basis for about a year and then moved to a hut in Berwick owned by a Mr Gardiner. The Church is the oldest church in Berwick, and the congregation was founded amongst Scottish and English settlers in 1857 by Rev Alexander Duff, an Irish…
Address: 51 Lakewview Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537
A Foundation stone read's, " A.M.D.C. In memory of the fallen in two world wars the fondation stone of this church of St Andrew built for the worship of God and the teaching of the Catholic faith was laid by Allen second Bishop of St Arnaud on 30th November 1958. C.T. Hollaway Rector, Earl Bunbury Architects, D.K. Koch Builder."
Year Built: 1939
Address: 19 Patrick Street, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030
The Church at Bothwell was given a two-acre grant by the Colonial Government. In May 1864 permission to quarry stone on Mount Adelaide near Bothwell, "towards the completion of a church at Bothwell for the use of the Roman Catholic community". At this stage, the church was well advanced, but the private quarry from which stone had been…
Address: 12 Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576
A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by The Rev C.E. Turnbull Moderator of the Presbytery of Goulburn to commemorate the Jubilee of the first Presbyterian service in Bowral. 1888 - 1938. Rev R.H. Bacot Minister.
Year Built: 1867
Address: Corner Whitehorse Road & Bruce Street, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128
The first Presbyterian Church Service was held on 6 February 1867 by the Rev W Rolland. By 1887 a Theological student by the name of Alex Walker was engaged to run services at both Box Hill and Surrey Hills. The original site for the first church was Court Street and a wooden building was opened in July 1889. A larger weatherboard…
Year Built: 1850
Address: Corner Church & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186
In 1842, the first St Andrew's Church building was opened on 30 November. The second church was opened on 29 August 1850, The Right Reverend Charles Perry, Bishop of Melbourne, laid the foundation stone for a rectangular ironstone church, designed by architect, Melbourne city surveyor and St Andrew's parishioner, Charles Laing. This…
Year Built: 1871
Address: High Street, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683
The former Presbyterian church was erected 1871-1875 by Smith and Houston. It replaced a timber and bark structure erected in 1860 some distance west of the site. The present orange-coloured brick structure comprises a buttressed hall with the west front punctuated by a pinnacled octagonal bell-cote on the gable apex and a small…
Address: South Terrace, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068
St Andrew's Church was constructed in reinforced concrete and bluestone to the designs of North & Williams. The foundation stone was laid on 4 March 19161 and the building dedicated on 30 September of that year.
Year Built: 1861
Address: Service Street, , Clunes Victoria, 3370
Constructed in the Gothic style it was designed by Ballarat architect J.A. Doane, and commenced in 1864. It consists of a broad nave and transepts with galleries, including cast iron balustrades. The facade incorporates a slate-roofed octagonal turret and spire and a four-light perpendicular Gothic window. The Basalt manse was erected in…
Address: 17 Binnia Street, , Coolah New South Wales, 2843
The Parish of Coolah was formed in 1890 to serve the areas of Binnaway, Birriwa, Cobbora, Coolah, Denison Town, Dunedoo, Elong Elong, Leadville, Mendooran, Merrygoen, Rosebank, Turce, and Uarbry, and in 1896 it was transferred form the Diocese of Newcastle to the Diocese of Bathurst.
Year Built: 1880
Address: 61 Soho Street, , Cooma New South Wales, 2630
The Church was opened in 1882 as a Presbyterian Church. The west wall includes a beautiful stained glass window, and other features include a timber pulpit, choir, and a 623 pound bell. In 1997 the tower clock was replaced and flood lighting of the stained glass window was fitted. A plaque reads, "To the Glory of God this plaque was…
Address: 23 Albert Street, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646
Transported to the site at 23 Albert Street Corowa in 1968 from Wodonga, the Church is made of corrugated iron (small profile) construction, with a iron roof and the internal wall are plasterboard. With wooden floors and louvre windows. The Church is closed and has been put up for sale.
Year Built: 1913
Address: Cressy Road, , Cressy Victoria, 3322
The foundation stone was laid in 1911 by Mrs John Nelson of Kilernie and the building opened in 1913, together with a new manse that has since been destroyed. The boarded decoration in the gable of the faade and porch has since been removed. The interior includes several stained glass windows and its original pulpit and pews.
Year Built: 1926
Address: 72 Wingewarra Street, , Dubbo New South Wales, 2830
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Right Revd the Moderator General R. Scott - West D.D. 20th Oct 1926". The Church was sold in 2012. It is now a non-denominational Chapel for funeral and memorial services, after-funeral functions, weddings, and bereavement seminars.
Year Built: 1889
Address: Kirkland Street West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666
Formerly a Presbyterian Church. In 1865 the first Presbyterian church services were held in the old Euroa school house and later incorporated in the Church of England rectory. The first church was erected in 1881 in Foy Street. The current church was built in 1889 by Gordon and Duncan and cost £600 while the Sunday School hall was…
Year Built: 1871
Address: 6 High Street, , Evandale Tasmania, 7212
The earliest services were held in a barn and the first schoolroom chapel of brick was built in 1837. in 1931 the Bishop's charge notes Evandale was given the old St. David's font, which was made at Port Arthur. The second church was begun in 1841 and dedicated in April 1844. It was pulled down in 1871. The third and present church…
Year Built: 1839
Address: 9 High Street, , Evandale Tasmania, 7212
The Scottish Community of Evandale had raised funds for the building of a Kirk (Church) and along with a grant from the Government this enabled the laying of a foundation stone in 1838 by the Governor, Sir John Franklin and from this the Kirk (Church) became a reality with the dedication of St. Andrews on 5th September 1840. The church…
Year Built: 1862
Address: Harold Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871
A wooden church was erected at the corner of Cross and Clear Streets in 1862 but was destroyed by a storm and replaced by another. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was erected in 1877 at a cost of £1,300. Reverend Arthur Aspinall was the first resident Presbyterian clergyman in Forbes (1874-87) and he established the present church; the…
Address: Corner Sydney Parade & Sydney Avenue, , Geelong Victoria, 3220
Formerly a Presbyterian Church. St. Andrew’s was the first Presbyterian Church in the Western District of Victoria with its minister, the Reverend Andrew Love, being the first resident Minister in Geelong. On 24 August 1839, a public meeting of the subscribers to a proposed Presbyterian church and minister’s dwelling in Geelong was…