Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Saint: Andrew


Creswick, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Creswick, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: 123 Albert Street, , Creswick Victoria, 3363

Read More

Cronulla, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Cronulla, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1934

Address: Cnr Kingsway & St. Andrew’s Place, , Cronulla New South Wales, 2230

The present St. Andrew’s Church goes back to the depression days. Nathaniel George Bull bequeathed about 2,500 pounds in 1911 for the building of a church in Cronulla. This was finally realised 23 years later at a cost of 5000 pounds. The foundation stone was laid in December 1934 and the opening of the new church took place on 3 July…

Read More

Crookwell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Crookwell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 45 Colyer Street, , Crookwell New South Wales, 2583

Read More

Culcairn, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Culcairn, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Balfour Street, , Culcairn New South Wales, 2660

Read More

Daylesford, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Daylesford, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1904

Address: 21 Camp Street, , Daylesford Victoria, 3460

The foundation stone was laid in 1903 by Mrs Jessie Leggatt of a prominent Daylesford family (there is a Leggatt Street in the town). Mrs Leggatt gave the money to build the church and her marble memorial plaque remains affixed inside the empty porch. The style is a modified English Decorated. A brick church built between 1903 and 1904…

Read More

Dimboola, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Dimboola, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Address: 21 Normanby Street, , Dimboola Victoria, 3414

Read More

Donald, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Donald, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1872

Address: Corner Woods & Blair Streets, , Donald Victoria, 3480

The first St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church was built in 1872. The current church was opened in 1925. It seats 300. It was built by Messrs. B.M. Basset and Son, Donald for the sum of £4275. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Senator J.F. Guthrie 23rd February 1924. Presented by Mr & Mrs W.H. Gray Donald". A further…

Read More

Dookie, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Dookie, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Turnley Street, , Dookie Victoria, 3646

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Miss Jean Knox 14th June 1957 - Architect Keith Reid - Builder M.J. Hall".

Read More

Dubbo, NSW - St Andrew's Chapel (Former Uniting)

Dubbo, NSW - St Andrew's Chapel (Former Uniting)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 72 Wingewarra Street, , Dubbo New South Wales, 2830

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Right Revd the Moderator General R. Scott - West D.D. 20th Oct 1926". The Church was sold in 2012. It is now a non-denominational Chapel for funeral and memorial services, after-funeral functions, weddings, and bereavement seminars.

Read More

Dumbalk, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Dumbalk, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 6 Nerrena Road, , Dumbalk Victoria, 3956

The Church was established in 1937.

Read More

Dungog, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Dungog, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1904

Address: 63 Dowling Street, , Dungog New South Wales, 2420

Of Gothic style the Church was built in 1904 and opened in 1905. In 2023 it was put up for sale.

Read More

Dunoon, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Dunoon, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 102 James Street, , Dunoon New South Wales, 2480

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Euroa, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: Kirkland Street West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. In 1865 the first Presbyterian church services were held in the old Euroa school house and later incorporated in the Church of England rectory. The first church was erected in 1881 in Foy Street. The current church was built in 1889 by Gordon and Duncan and cost £600 while the Sunday School hall was…

Read More

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Anglican

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 6 High Street, , Evandale Tasmania, 7212

The earliest services were held in a barn and the first schoolroom chapel of brick was built in 1837. in 1931 the Bishop's charge notes Evandale was given the old St. David's font, which was made at Port Arthur. The second church was begun in 1841 and dedicated in April 1844. It was pulled down in 1871. The third and present church…

Read More

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1839

Address: 9 High Street, , Evandale Tasmania, 7212

The Scottish Community of Evandale had raised funds for the building of a Kirk (Church) and along with a grant from the Government this enabled the laying of a foundation stone in 1838 by the Governor, Sir John Franklin and from this the Kirk (Church) became a reality with the dedication of St. Andrews on 5th September 1840. The church…

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Forbes, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1862

Address: Harold Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

A wooden church was erected at the corner of Cross and Clear Streets in 1862 but was destroyed by a storm and replaced by another. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was erected in 1877 at a cost of £1,300. Reverend Arthur Aspinall was the first resident Presbyterian clergyman in Forbes (1874-87) and he established the present church; the…

Read More

Forrest, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Forrest, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: 1 State Circuit, , Forrest Australian Capital Territory, 2603

A sandstone Church in an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style. The side tower is square with a sandstone spire. The interior fills the usual sanctuary area and has fine joinery, particularly in the pulpit and screens. It contains many memorials of National importance. The Foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1929 by His Excellency…

Read More

Gardenvale East, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Gardenvale East, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1933

Address: North Road, , Gardenvale East Victoria, 3185

The Foundation stone was laid 16 December 1933 by Miss L.A. Nicoll a foundation member of the church.

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Geelong, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Corner Sydney Parade & Sydney Avenue, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. St. Andrew’s was the first Presbyterian Church in the Western District of Victoria with its minister, the Reverend Andrew Love, being the first resident Minister in Geelong. On 24 August 1839, a public meeting of the subscribers to a proposed Presbyterian church and minister’s dwelling in Geelong was…

Read More

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 101 Macquarie Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A Foundation stone reads," To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Reverend Allan Martin Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Tasmania 22nd June 1958".

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Gisborne, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1871

Address: Fisher Street, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

The present church was opened in August 1871 after the first church proved to be too small, coinciding with the opening of the new Catholic church. The noted architect, Lloyd Tayler, had called tenders for the erection of a Presbyterian Church at Gisborne at the end of 1870. The cost was £1350. The Manse was build in 1908 and sold in…

Read More

Gladesville, NSW - St Andrew's Greek Orthodox

Gladesville, NSW - St Andrew's Greek Orthodox

Address: 20 Wharf Road, , Gladesville New South Wales, 2111

Read More

Glen Iris, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Glen Iris, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: 1560 Malvern Road, , Glen Iris Victoria, 3146

Formerly known as Mulgrave Uniting Church and now known as St Andrew's Gardiner Uniting. The old St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (1856), in Rathdowne Street, Carlton was taken down in 1938 and the stones re-erected the following year at the site of the 'new' St. Andrew's on the corner of Burke and Malvern Roads. A Foundation stone…

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 92 Jetty Road, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in Gordon Street and the builder was Mr J.J. Moseley. The second church was built in Jetty Road and the foundation stone was laid on 18 April 1859. The Architect was Mr James MacGeorge and built by Messrs Lines and Cook. The third and current church was built and the foundation stone for this building was laid…

Read More

Glenthompson, VIC - St Andrews Uniting (Former)

Glenthompson, VIC - St Andrews Uniting (Former)

Address: 52 Memorial Road, , Glenthompson Victoria, 3293

A Foundation stone reads, "St Andrews Church This stone was laid by Mrs A Cameron of Burnside Glenthompson 19th May 1915". The church is closed and in private hands.

Read More

Goondiwindi, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Goondiwindi, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 31 Herbert Street, , Goondiwindi Queensland, 4390

In September 1962 tenders were called for a new Church and T F Woollan and Son Pty Ltd of Brisbane were successful on 24 September 1962 in obtaining the commission to build the church at a cost of £20,875. Work commenced on 2 October 1962. The Foundation Stone for the new Church was laid by the Moderator Right Rev A R Wilson on…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Goulburn, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1924

Address: 25 Clifford Street, , New South Wales, 2580

By order of the Governor in 1839, 2 acres of land for a church, schoolhouse and manse were marked off in the area today bounded by Sloane, Bradley and Craig Streets,and on 21st June, 1839, the first stone of the church was laid. The architect was William Hume, and the cost was £685. After the failure of the first builder to fulfil his…

Read More

Gracemere, QLD - St Andrew's Anglican

Gracemere, QLD - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1999

Address: 14 Barry Street, , Gracemere Queensland, 4702

A plaque reads, " To the Glory of God this building was dedicated under the name of St Andrew on 3rd February 1996 by George Hearn Ninth Bishop of Rockhampton Parish Priest J.P. Graham Freeman - Wardens W.H. Moore M Thompson".

Read More

Grafton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Grafton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: 116 Oliver Street, , Grafton New South Wales, 2460

The Church dimensions are 64ft. 6in. in length x 36ft. in width. The foundations were concrete, 4ft. wide and 2ft. 9in. thick. The walls are of brick. 24ft. in height averageing 18in, cemented inside and out. having 2 rows of galvanised loop iron built in every 8th course, with 6 buttresses on each side projecting 18in. beyond the walls.…

Read More

Heywood, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Heywood, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Address: 3 Hunter Street, , Heywood Victoria, 3304

The last service was held in January 2023. The Church is now closed.

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Horsham, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: Corner Roberts & Urquhart Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

Various Presbyterian Ministers visited the Horsham area. The recognised commencement of the church was on 14 January 1858. It is noted that Rev Hogg conducted services in the local Court House and then the school house until a suitable church could be erected. The eventual church was constructed at a cost of £700.

Read More

Howlong, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Howlong, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1899

Address: 18 Hawkins Street, , Howlong New South Wales, 2643

Mr Murdock of Howlong was the successful tenderer and work must have progressed rapidly because the Foundation Stone was laid on 26th September, 1899 with much ceremony by Mrs. Wallace of Emu plains Station. The ceremony began at 3.30 by the choir rendering a hymn . A temporary platform was erected, and with the organ and a few members…

Read More

Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Inverell, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1878

Address: 94 Vivian Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360

In the beginning, services were conducted in the home of Mr. Colin Ross until 1857. This continued for a mere three years until a move was made to build a church on a Crown grant of 1 acre 3 roods 32 perches, Suburban allotment 6, dated 24th August, 1859. This is the date of the Title Deed but the actual building commenced earlier. This…

Read More

Jeparit, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Jeparit, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 1 - 3 Sands Avenue , , Jeparit Victoria, 3423

An Historical Marker reads, " The first Methodist service was conducted by Mr. J. C. Jennison from Dimboola in John Hankins Blacksmith shop on Sunday 3id of August, 1890 with 14 people in attendance. The Blacksmith's anvil was used as the pulpit. The land along Sands Avenue (known as Pine Rise) was formally owned by John Scott Peterson…

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Jerilderie, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: West Street, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The Church was formerly a Presbyterian church. The first Minister catering to the pastoral needs of the Protestant faith in this district was a Presbyterian Minister from Deniliquin, the Reverend Peter Mercer, from 2 December, 1863, to 10 August, 1869, under commission from the Castlemaine Presbytery in Victoria. Reverend Mercer's…

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1903

Address: Corner Lisgar & Denison Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

Constructed of brick the foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1903 by Neil McCallum Esq.

Read More

Kerang, VIC - St Andew's Presbyterian

Kerang, VIC - St Andew's Presbyterian

Address: 76 Victoria Street, , Kerang Victoria, 3579

Read More

Kilmore, VIC - St Andrew's Presyterian (Former)

Kilmore, VIC - St Andrew's Presyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1864

Address: 3 Hamilton Street, , Kilmore Victoria, 3764

The earlier records of this congregation have been lost, but apparently services were held at irregular intervals in the old Mechanics' Hall. These services were conducted by Mr. Donald McInnes.At the first Annual Meeting of the congregation held in October, 1852, the erection of a Free Church in Kilmore was unanimously agreed to, and Mr.…

Read More

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian (Former)

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1888

Address: 319 Rossiter Road, , Koo Wee Rup Victoria, 3981

Presbyterian services first took place at the home of Mrs Hudson, who owned the Grange. Locals donated money to purchase a Church building and the Wesleyan building from Cranbourne was obtained at a cost of 70 pounds. This church, designed by Architect Alfred Dunn, had been erected in 1888 and it was transported to Koo-Wee-Rup on a large…

Read More

Kootingal, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Kootingal, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Address: 1 Gate Street, , Kootingal New South Wales, 2352

Read More