Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Saint: George


Alberton, SA - St George's Anglican

Alberton, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 88 Port Road, , Alberton South Australia, 5014

Read More

Annerley, QLD - St George Ethiopian Orthodox

Annerley, QLD - St George Ethiopian Orthodox

Address: 15 Eric Crescent, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

Read More

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1847

Address: 30 Cromwell Street, Hobart, Battery Point Tasmania, 7004

Located on the highest point of Battery Point, once known as Kermode's Hill the Church was designed by two of Hobart's earliest and best known architects. The land was in fact purchased from William Kermode for 250.00. It was designed in the Neo-Classical style by the Government architect, John Lee Archer, designing the body of the…

Read More

Bexley, NSW - St George North Anglican

Bexley, NSW - St George North Anglican

Address: Corner Dunmore & Albyn Streets, , Bexley New South Wales, 2207

Read More

Boisdale, VIC - St George's Anglican

Boisdale, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: Main Street, , Boisdale Victoria, 3860

A plaque on the brick fence reads, " This fence is erected in memory of Trevor Harvey Died Dec 9th 1952".

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner High & Hamilton Streets, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The original church was a small wooden Methodist church built in 1895, opened on 9 June and demolished in 1912. The Builder was Mr McDonald of Broadford. A Foundation stone was laid by M McKenzie MLA on 1 June 1912 when a newer church was erected. The builder was James Sutherland. The foundation stone was laid by MK McKenzie MLA on 1…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 52 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

The first moves for the provision of an Anglican church at Burnie began in the mid-1840s after the visits of the Rev. Grigg from Circular Head and the Rev. Waterfield from the settlement at the Forth River. The Launceston Advertiser of 9 November 1844 under the heading Churches of the Interior reported: At the new but populous settlement…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 6 Lee Street, Campania, Campania Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920. The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have…

Read More

Corinella, VIC - St George's Anglican

Corinella, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1952

Address: 24 Smythe Street, , Corinella Victoria, 3984

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Right Reverend D.B. Blackwood M.A. TH.D. V.D. 9th October 1952. Vicar The Reverend J.H. Shilton TH.L.".

Read More

Donald, VIC - St George's Anglican

Donald, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 8 Blair Street, , Donald Victoria, 3480

Read More

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: Warncliffe Road, , East Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

East Ivanhoe Anglican convened a meeting on 12 December 1929 in the home of Mr A Judd in Warnclifffe Road to form a committee to arrange for church services and Sunday school classes to be held in the new area. Land owned by Mt Bainbridge in Warncliffe Road was available for a church site and an assurance was given that, if the Diocese…

Read More

Eden, NSW - St George Uniting

Eden, NSW - St George Uniting

Year Built: 1866

Address: Chandos Street, , Eden New South Wales, 2551

The Foundation stone was laid on 24th May, 1865 and the Church was opened for services on 24th May 1866. It was the first church built after the Union of the Presbyterian Churches in NSW in 1865. The building was first cement rendered in 1931 due to crumbling of the original brickwork and the original roof replaced in 1961. In 2007,…

Read More

Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican

Gawler, SA - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Orleana Square, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The Church was built where Colonel Light had planned. The first part of the church (the nave) was built in 1858-64. In 1885 the transept and chancel were added and the tower was finally erected in 1908, with the bells being installed in 1921. One of the largest parish churches in South Australia constructed of roughly coursed bluestone…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Geelong, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1861

Address: Corner La Trobe Tce & Ryrie Streets, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

St George's Presbyterian Church was formed in 1861 by a breakaway group from the St Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Yarra Street. The large and finely constructed Church reflects the wealth of many of the Church's foundation patrons, which included Francis Ormond and other western district squatters. The Church is a significant and intact…

Read More

Gerringong, NSW - St George's Anglican

Gerringong, NSW - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 103 Fern Street, , Gerringong New South Wales, 2534

The Church was built in 1856 but was destroyed in 1872, and rebuilt in 1874.

Read More

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 117 Goodwood Street, , Goodwood South Australia, 5034

Read More

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St George's Anglican

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 273 Rossiter Road, , Koo Wee Rup Victoria, 3981

Read More

Magill, SA - St George's Anglican

Magill, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 43 St Bernards Road, , Magill South Australia, 5072

The land on which the Church was built was given by John Finlay Duff, Captain of the Barque Africaine. The Church has the distinction of being the first Anglican Church consecrated in the colony of South Australia. It was performed by Bishop Augustus Short on 30 January 1848, within weeks of his arrival in South Australia. The…

Read More

Malvern, VIC - St George's Anglican

Malvern, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1857

Address: 296 Glenferrie Road, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

In 1857 the local committee representing the Church of England acquired an acre of land in Glenferrie Road (the northern half of this site is occupied by the parish hall), and built a school room, which in 1858 was licensed for Church services. The priest in charge was the Reverend Henry Liddiard, who also had charge of the district of…

Read More

Monbulk, VIC - St George's Anglican

Monbulk, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 75 Main Street, , Monbulk Victoria, 3793

Read More

Mount Tamborine, QLD - St George's Anglican

Mount Tamborine, QLD - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1992

Address: 2 Dapsang Drive, , Mount Tamborine Queensland, 4272

Services have been held on Tamborine Mountain since 1900 and the original St. George’s church was a community hall, relocated and rebuilt on the present site in 1938. A Foundation stone reads, "This Church of St George Tamborine Mountain was erected through the benefaction of Miss Jean Evelyn Dunlop and consecrated to the Glory of God…

Read More

Nhill, VIC - St George's Anglican

Nhill, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: Corner McPherson & Clarence Streets, , Nhill Victoria, 3418

Read More

Nowa Nowa, VIC - St George's Anglican

Nowa Nowa, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1950

The Anglican Ministry commenced in 1930 with fortnightly services conducted by Mr Charles Partridge. Mr Partridge walked 20 miles from Buchan. Services were suspended between 1939 and 1944. The Church was built in 1950 and dedicated on 10 March 1951.

Read More

Numurkah, VIC - St George's Anglican

Numurkah, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Brenton Street, , Numerkah Victoria, 3636

The earliest Church of England services were held in the dining room of the original Numurkah Hotel, a weatherboard building which occupied the whole of the site, where stands today the present Numurkah Hotel and the old State Savings Bank occupied by Maurice McNamara & Co. In the early 1880's services were held in the State School…

Read More

Old Beach, TAS - St George's Anglican

Old Beach, TAS - St George's Anglican

Address: 237 Briggs Road, , Old Beach Tasmania, 7017

One acre of land as a site for the church was given by J. F. Gage. This land had been part of 407 acres 2 roods formerly owned by his father, John Ogle Gage, and known as "Gagebrook". J. F. Gage had bought it at public auction for £ 1854.2.6 after the death of his father who had lived at Old Beach since 1824. The conveyance of the land,…

Read More

Parattah, TAS - St George's Anglican (Former)

Parattah, TAS - St George's Anglican (Former)

Address: 669 Tunnack Road, , Parattah Tasmania, 7120

The Foundation stone was laid in February 1903. The Church was sold in 2004 and is now a private dwelling.

Read More

Perth, WA - St George's Cathedral Anglican

Perth, WA - St George's Cathedral Anglican

Address: 38 St George's Terrace, , Perth Western Australia, 6000

In 1841, on January first, Governor John Hutt laid the Foundation Stone of the first Church of St George. About 600 people were present when the church was opened on 22 January 1845. This building stood adjacent to the City of Perth library. The old church faced north and south and stretched from approximately the west end of the present…

Read More

Queenscliff, VIC - St George the Martyr Anglican

Queenscliff, VIC - St George the Martyr Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: 22 Hobson Street, , Queenscliff Victoria,

In 1858 Wesleyan ministers visited the town and services were held at Pilot Reid's home. and also at Mr Simpkin Snr's home. The congregation soon became too large to meet in private homes, and so the Queenscliff Reading Room was rented for services. The Rev. Francis Tuckfield arranged to build a wooden church measuring 18 feet by 30 feet,…

Read More

Red Hill, VIC - St Georges Anglican

Red Hill, VIC - St Georges Anglican

Year Built: 1979

Address: 201 Arthurs Seat Road, , Red Hill Victoria, 3937

In March 1948 the first recorded Anglican service took place when the priest from the Parish of Flinders celebrated Holy Communion in the Mechanic's Hall, Red Hill. St. George's was adopted as the name for the future church. The current church was dedicated by the Regional Bishop on Dedication Day in 1979.

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St George's Anglican

Reservoir, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Corner of Ralph & Byfield Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Reverend Frank Woods M.A. D.D. on 14 November 1964.

Read More

Richmond, VIC - St George's Uniting

Richmond, VIC - St George's Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 271 Burnley Street, , Richmond Victoria, 3121

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by Alexander Smith Esq an Elder of this Church, August 29th 1925. Rev R.A. Green B.A. Minister. Builders Pittard and Sons. Architect H.A. Norris Esq".

Read More

Sorell, TAS - St George's Anglican

Sorell, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 16 Gordon Street, Sorell, Tasmania, 7172

A small stone Gothic Revival church constructed in 1826 and re-built in 1883. This replaced a larger church on the same site that dated back to 1825. The contract was awarded to Messrs Grubb Bros of Hobart for 925 and most of the construction work was carried out by convicts. The first services were held in a barn. In 1826 St. George's…

Read More

Tamanick, VIC - St George's Anglican

Tamanick, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: Upper Tamanick Road, , Tamanick Victoria, 3675

Read More

Theodore, QLD - St George Anglican

Theodore, QLD - St George Anglican

Address: 49 The Blvd, , Theodore Queensland, 4719

The Church was dedicated on 4 January, 1931 by Bishop Fortescue Leo Ash Fourth Bishop of Rockhampton. Members of the Bush Brotherhood of S.Andrew 1931 - 1949 ( from 1931 - 1949 Theodore was part of the Westwood Mission District and from 1949 -1958 it was part of the Rockhampton Mission District, by 1949 the Brotherhood had ceased to have…

Read More

Travancore, VIC - St George's Anglican

Travancore, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: Corner Lucknow & Baroda Streets, , Travancore Victoria, 3032

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 May 1925 by his Excellency the Earl of Stradbroke Governor of Victoria. The church is constructed of red brick and was designed by architect Louis Williams and opened for worship in 1925. Williams envisaged a large church with tower, church hall and vicarage however, the church was never built and a…

Read More

Wonthaggi, VIC - St George's Anglican

Wonthaggi, VIC - St George's Anglican

Address: 2 Broome Crescent, , Wonthaggi Victoria, 3995

The earliest recorded minutes state that Reverend Rogers conducted the first opening service on June 19th 1910. The church was licensed in March 1911. On May 15th the First Rectory organ was purchased for twenty-eight pounds and the church was named St George's. A loan of 500 pounds from a member of our church in Melbourne [as stated…

Read More