Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Saint: James


Northdown, TAS - St James Anglican

Northdown, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: 829 Port Sorell Road, , Northdown Tasmania, 7307

The church was opened in May 1878 and the church and burial ground were consecrated on 30 January 1879 by Bishop Charles Bromby. One gate post has the inscription "To the glory of God" with the opposite post having the inscription, "And in memory of all those who served 1939 - 1945". The present church was built by public subscription…

Read More

Orbost, VIC - St James Anglican

Orbost, VIC - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: 34 Browning Street, , Orbost Victoria, 3888

With the parsonage all but complete, another important meeting of the Board of Guardians was held on June 9th, 1891. The business of the meeting was to discuss the advisability of building a Church. As usual, matters moved quickly for, on June 15th, 1891, plans for a building "for Church purposes" were submitted. Mr. Power was asked to…

Read More

Peak Hill, NSW - St Jame's Catholic

Peak Hill, NSW - St Jame's Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: 151 Caswell Street, , Peak Hill New South Wales, 2869

Church services were originally held at the home of Denis McAuliffe on his grazing property at Bulgandramine until 1894. The Old St James Catholic Church was located at 116 Derribong Street Peak Hill and was built probably in c.1894 and in use in early 1895 and continued until c1936. The parish map of 1893 shows that John Dunne…

Read More

Ranelagh, TAS - St James Anglican

Ranelagh, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1896

Address: 1 Louisa Street, , Ranelagh Tasmania, 7109

In 1853 a there was a bark church built for a hundred people was built at Victoria and consecrated in June 1854. The Church Chronicle reported in December 1878, "Victoria church to be built at In 1853 a hear bark church for a hundred people was built at Victoria and consecrated in June 1854. The Church Chronicle reported in December 1878,…

Read More

Stanley, TAS - St James Presbyterian

Stanley, TAS - St James Presbyterian

Year Built: 1855

Address: 3 Fletcher Street, , Stanley Tasmania, 7331

The Church sits on land granted by the Van Diemen's Land Company. The building was bought in London in 1855 the first pre fabricated church to be brought to Tasmania and transported to Stanley at a total cost of £400. On anniversary days the church would overflow while the hall next door was frequently booked for wedding breakfasts and…

Read More

Stockinbingal, NSW - St James Anglican

Stockinbingal, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Corner Britannia & Duadman Streets, , Stockinbingal New South Wales, 2725

The Church was opened in 1911. Prior to the building of St James, Anglicans worshipped in a small building situated on the Grogan Road and used by all denominations. The foundation stone for the building was laid on May 25, 1910 by the Bishop of Goulburn the Right Reverend C.C. Barlow and the opening date was March 15, 1911. The…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - St Jame's Anglican

Sydney, NSW - St Jame's Anglican

Year Built: 1819

Address: 173 King Street, Sydney, Sydney New South Wales, 2000

Of Georgian style the Church was constructed between 1819 and 1824 and is the oldest church building in the City. St James' is an example of the architectural work of the Macquarie period, completely designed and built by convict labour. The Foundation stone was laid by Governor Macquarie on 7 October 1819 on a site originally chosen…

Read More

Tongala, VIC - St James Anglican

Tongala, VIC - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: St James Street, , Tongala Victoria, 3621

The first church was built in 1913. During 1882 - 1883 an attempt by the Church of England to establish services in the Tongala area proved unsucessful and so it continued for a time under Rochester then in the 1890's under Tatura and later under Kyabrum. By 1912 services and Sunday school were being held in the Public Hall in Magan…

Read More

Townsville, QLD - St James Anglican

Townsville, QLD - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: 36 Cleveland Terrace, , Townsville Queensland, 4810

The first Anglican church was established on Melton Hill, purchased with the aid of parishioners at a sale of crown lands and work began on the on 24 May 1871. The structure was constructed of weatherboard with a shingle roof. The current Church was designed by Arthur Blacket and was built in 1887 by MacMahon & Cliffe. It was added to the…

Read More

Traralgon, VIC - St James Anglican (Former)

Traralgon, VIC - St James Anglican (Former)

Address: 100 Grey Street, , Traralgon Victoria, 3844

The first incumbent appointed was the Reverend Thomas Moorehouse (spelt differently than Bishop Moorhouse) and it is said that he built St James in 1879 - 80, largely with his own hands. The first St James church was licenced on 28 February 1880. The second St James was licenced on 7 October 1922. The business centre of Traralgon…

Read More

Turramurra, NSW - St James Anglican

Turramurra, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1941

Address: 15 King Street, , Turramurra New South Wales, 2074

The church was designed in English Gothic style by the architects Adam, Wright, and Apperly of Sydney, was opened on Saturday 27 September 1941. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by The Most Rev H.W.K. Nowll D.D. Archbishop of Sydney 8th March 1941 R. L. Cameron Rector".

Read More

Uranquinty, NSW - St James Uniting

Uranquinty, NSW - St James Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 16 Yarragundry Street, , Uranquinty New South Wales, 2652

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 June 1960 by Mrs Thomas Rodham.

Read More

Wandin North, VIC - St James Anglican

Wandin North, VIC - St James Anglican

Address: 84 Beenak Road, , Wandin North Victoria, 3139

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Wellington Point, QLD - St James Anglican

Wellington Point, QLD - St James Anglican

In 1889 the building now known as St James’, Wellington Point was originally St George’s Church of England in Redland Bay in the Parish of Cleveland, established during the Episcopate of William Webber, third Bishop of Brisbane (1885 – 1903). The building was designed by the Diocesan Architect John Hingeston Buckeridge. The church was…

Read More

Wyong, NSW - St James Anglican

Wyong, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 2000

Address: 25 Byron Street, , Wyong New South Wales, 2259

A mention of the church was made in the Gosford Times in January 1915 that the ouside and roof of the church was to be painted by a Mr Albert Warner as a gift. The original church was destroyed by fire in 1994 and a new church was erected four years later. The Church celebrated its centenary in 2006.

Read More

Yackandandah, VIC - St James Uniting

Yackandandah, VIC - St James Uniting

Year Built: 1868

Address: 25 Hammond Street, , Yackandandah Victoria, 3749

Read More

Yamba, NSW - St James Catholic

Yamba, NSW - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1975

Address: 34 Yamba Street, , Yamba New South Wales, 2464

A stone plaque reads, "St James Church solemnly blessed by The Most Rev John Satterthwaite Bishop of Lismore 3rd December 1975".

Read More

Yeppoon, QLD - St James Anglican

Yeppoon, QLD - St James Anglican

Address: 15 Housden Place, , Yeppoon Queensland, 4703

Read More

Youngtown, TAS - St James Anglican

Youngtown, TAS - St James Anglican

Address: 418 Hobart Road, , Youngtown Tasmania, 7249

The booklet reads in part, On Monday, the 13th October 1844, the Bishop laid the first stone of one of these ten new oratories' at Franklin Village. An account of this is given in the "Launceston Examiner" of the 23rd October, 1844. "Franklin Village. On Monday, at three o'clock, the Bishop, attended by the Rural Dean (the Rev. R.…

Read More