Saint: John the Baptist
Address: 9 Francis Street, , Bairnsdale Victoria, 3875
In May 1866 tenders were called for the erection of a church and the contract was won by Barry and Sons of Sale. The foundation stone was laid by John Davison Smith of "Lindenow" on 9 October 1866. The Church was established in 1867.
Address: 1 Duke Street, , Buckland Tasmania, 7190
On 22nd March, 1846, Mr. Cox conducted the first Service in the Buckland Parish, and the only place in which it could be held was the local Police Station. as conducting his Services in a solid little stone Sunday School, and as if this were not enough, the foundation stone had been laid of a Church, which was in later years to be known…
Year Built: 1885
Address: Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2853
The Church was built in 1885 at a cost of £2250. The design is Flemish bonding on red brickwork. It replaced an earlier Catholic Church which was built during the town's first goldrush.
Year Built: 1852
Address: Corner Goulburn & Forest Road, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000
This former church is now a set of private residences. A modest stone church in Gothic-Revival style set on irregular corner site, the major aspect of the building reveals an unusual occurrence in Gothic design - the building is visually very heavy, the result of a naturally steep site and creating a level across the contours. The…
Year Built: 1886
Address: Corner Jones & Castella Streets, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140
Land for an Anglican church was purchased in February 1867 and construction commenced the following year. The first service in the completed building was held in October 1868. The memorial stone was laid by Baroness De Pury on 25 September 1886.
Year Built: 1860
Address: 6 Church Street, , Mudgee New South Wales, 2850
Influential men in Mudgee recognised the need for a permanent church to be built and a meeting was called. An amount of six hundred pounds was raised and a building committee was formed. In just over three years the first church of St John the Baptist was designed and built. On 16th May 1841 St John's was consecrated by the Bishop of…
Year Built: 1887
Address: Mannum Road, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254
In 1884 Anglicans held services at the newly-opened Bridge-port Hotel. Their first Church, the Church of St. John the Baptist,was built in 1887 at a cost of £434-l0-0. It is a plain, small limestone building with an unfinished porch. For several years it was under the control of the River Murray Mission, which also used a steamboat…
Year Built: 1902
Address: 16 Tocumwal Road, , Numurkah Victoria, 3636
A Foundation stone reads, " St John Bts Church This stone was laid by the Right Revd S Reville O.S.A. Bishop of Sandhurst 23rd March 1902 Jas P.M. Carthy C.C. John A Clarke Architect John C Duncan Contractor".
Year Built: 1871
Address: 88 Darling Street, , Wentworth New South Wales, 2648
The Parish of Wentworth was formed in 1871 and Reverend William Cocks organised the building of the Church (believed to be based on an English structure). The materials were brought to the site by barge, although locally made bricks were also used in the construction. It was designed by Reverend A. D. Soares of Queanheyan and built in…
Year Built: 1892
Address: Corner Mercer & Harding Streets, , Winchelsea Victoria, 3241
As early as 1842, Catholic pioneers living in the isolated and sparsely settled Western District of Victoria received occasional visits from a priest, to minister to their spiritual needs. He was Fr Michael Stephens O.S.A. who moved to Geelong in September that year. As far back as 1855, Dean Fitzpatrick V.G. had applied for a grant of…