Year Built: 1916
Address: Main Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668
The fine brick building was blessed upon its completion by Rev. John Gallagher, Bishop of Goulburn on 19th March 1916, and dedicated to God under the patronage of Saint Joseph. It is not known when Barmedman was connected to the Parish of Temora. The first Mass for the township on record took place in 1882. In the absence of the church…
Year Built: 1908
Address: Corner Wedge & Arundel Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672
The first St Joseph's was built in 1866. The current Church was completed in 1908 in a Romanesque style at a cost of £9,000. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne on 21 July 1907 assisted by Bishop Reville and Dean Davey 1907. In 1989 a fire destroyed a large part of the building…
Year Built: 1875
Address: 16 Kamaroka Street, , Candelo New South Wales, 2550
This is the oldest Catholic Church in the Bega Parish. Designed by Father Patrick Slattery the first Parish Priest of the district. It was opened by Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan on January 31st 1875.
Year Built: 1941
Address: 362 Station Street, , Chelsea Victoira, 3196
St Joseph's was attached to Mentone until 1927 when Frankston was made a parish. The first church was erected in 1914 and later badly burnt in 1965. The current church was opened on 5 Januaury 1941 with a cost of £10,500. The Architect was Mr Cyril Kelly and the Builder was Mr W.J. Kelly.
Address: 4 William Street, , Cobram Victoria, 3644
Cobram and Katamatite were part of Yarrawonga Parish. From 1910 - 1922 Cobram was part of Numurkah Parish, the first Church being built in 1911. Ten years later, in 1921, the convent and school were built and in 1922 the Sisters of Mercy arrived from Bendigo to open the school. A Foundation stone on the old church reads, " St Josephs…
Year Built: 1880
Address: 10 Gray Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214
Sighted on the highest vantage point of the township, the church stands out as a prominent feature and reminder of the wealth of our local history. Taking three years to complete the building was constructed by local Michael Lattin following the design of Henry Hunter. During this time the Catholic Church used the Commandant's cottage as…
Year Built: 1983
Address: 19 O'Connell Road, , Foster Victoria, 3960
A plaque on the wall reads, " This Church of St Joseph was consecrated and Parish Centre blessed by +Eric Darcy Bishop of Sale on 30 January 1983 Parish Priest Father Peter A.M. Kooloos Architect Algis A. Klimas Builder E.P. & L.A. Brennan".
Year Built: 1906
Address: Weddin Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810
As early as 1838 when Yass was established as the first Ecclesiastical district in the interior of Australia, the whole area from Yass to Melbourne was served by a solitary dedicated priest. The first of these was Fr Brennan followed in 1839 by Fr Lovatt and in 1847 by Fr Magennis. In July 1884 Grenfell and Gooloogong were cut off…
Address: Gunn Street, , Helidon Queensland, 4344
The local Hotel owner Mr Daniel Lynch donated the land where the church is located. Initially known as St Andrews St Josephs was opened in December 1866. In mid 1874 the Sisters of St Joseph came to Helidon and a convent was established in 1884. A cyclonic hail storm hit Helidon in 1914 completely demolishing the Church and causing a…
Year Built: 1841
Address: 165 Macquarie Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000
A sandstone church built in Gothic style. Has a Nave with featured stonework to arched openings and pilasters to side walls. The church was built in 1841 and opened by Father Therry on Christmas morning 1841. It was designed by James Thomson, a former convict with convict labour employed to carry out the work. The tower is 60 feet…
Year Built: 1940
Address: 1215 Bunyip River Road, , Iona Victoria, 3815
The first church was constructed in 1900 and followed by a convent for the Sisters of St Joseph in 1914. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This church was blessed and opened by the Most Rev D. Mannix D.D.L.L.D Archbishop of Melbourne 14th April 1940 Revd P. Cremin P.P.". A Foundation stone on the church hall next door reads, "…
Year Built: 1878
Address: Corner Coreen & Kennedy Streets, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716
The Church was built in 1878 and opened in 1882. It was enlarge in 1898 and the Sacristy added in 1928. Famous people who attended the church included Michael Abney-Hastings 1P Earl of Loudon (said to be the true King of England) was married in St Joseph's Catholic Church on Saturday March 8, 2008.
Year Built: 1939
Address: 20 Guys Road, , Korumburra Victoria, 3950
A timber church had been built in 1893 when Fr. Coyne was parish priest. The new church was under the jurisdiction of the parish priest of Dandenong and even though half of the town and a great area of the country east and north of the town was still in the Warragul parish, in effect this area was lost to the parish because of the…
Year Built: 1908
Address: 47 Stanhope Street, , Malvern Victoria, 3144
The Foundation stone was laid on 16 February 1908 by his Grace The Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was A.A. Fritsh and the builders were Swanson Brothers.
Address: 79 Main Street, , Merimbula New South Wales, 2548
Until 1962 the village of Merimbula was without a church. St Joseph's Church was opened and blessed by the Most Reverend J Cullinane D.D. in December 1963 and was extended in the 1980's. A Foundation stone reads, " Blessed and opened by Most Rev J. Cullinane D.D. Auxiliary Bishop on 22nd November 1963. Rev D. Fitzgerald P.P.".
Year Built: 1860
Address: 59 Polding Street, , Murrurundi New South Wales, 2338
Thomas Haydon donated the land to the church and had a small wooden chapel built on the site in 1841. He oversaw the laying of foundations for a new church in 1855. The current building, St Joseph's Church, is made of local sandstone and was completed in 1860. It was consecrated by Bishop Polding after whom the street is named.
Address: 140 Westbourne Grove, , Northcote Victoria, 3070
The first Northcote Catholic Church services were held in 1891 in a small wooden church in Arthurton Road. In 1897 a more suitable site for a church was chosen and on January 15 1899, St Josephs was opened at 140 Westbourne Grove, Ruckers Hill. A Foundation stone in Latin reads in part, A.M.D.G. Revd Thomas Joseph Carr Archbishop…
Address: 84 Hill Street, , Orange New South Wales, 2800
A plaque reads "The Foundation stone was laid on 4th April 1869. The original Naive section of the Church was opened and blessed by Archbishop John Bede Polding GBS of Sydney and Bishops of Ballarat, Goulburn and Maitland Dioceses 30th April 1871. St Joseph had been declared Universal Patron of the Church by Pope Pius IX in 1870. St Mary…