Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: New South Wales


Aberdeen, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Aberdeen, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Address: Moray Street, , Aberdeen New South Wales, 2336

The Churches centenary was held in 2013.

Read More

Adelong, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Adelong, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Address: Neill Street, , Adelong New South Wales, 2729

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Airds, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Airds, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Address: 1 Riverside Drive, , Airds New South Wales, 2560

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Albion Park, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 253 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

This Gothic Revivalist church was built from sandstone quarried at Yellow Rock. The architect was Mr. E Blacket of Sydney, and the builder Mr. Schadel. The Reverend’s wife, Mrs. Rowsell, laid the foundation stone in the north east corner of the building in 1875. Under the stone was placed a glass bottle time capsule containing a copy of…

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - Presbyterian

Albion Park, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 250 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

The first Presbyterian Church in Albion Park was built of rubble stone in 1866 but was demolished due to disrepair. The new Presbyterian Church was built with half the cost being met by Albion Park pioneer John Russell. It was built of rubble stone in 1866 but was demolished due to disrepair. The Church Gothic style Church was built by F.…

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - Southern Church of Christ

Albion Park, NSW - Southern Church of Christ

Address: 107 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Albion Park, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Address: 247 - 251 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - Uniting

Albion Park, NSW - Uniting

Address: 103 Terry Street, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

Read More

Albury North, NSW - Greek Orthodox

Albury North, NSW - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1964

Address: 378 Olive Street, , Albury North New South Wales, 2640

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid on 22.3.1964 by his Eminence Archbishop Ezekiel".

Read More

Albury North, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Albury North, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1974

Address: 402 Wagga Road, , Albury North New South Wales, 2641

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone was laid by Mr W. Stanley Carnie Elder on 27th May 1973. The Church was opened by The Right Reverend Norman Monsen Moderator Assembly New South Wales and dedicated by the Presbytery of Wagga Wagga on 9th November 1974. Minister Reverend Ian C. Davidson".

Read More

Albury North, NSW - Trinity Uniting

Albury North, NSW - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 1052 Mate Street, , Albury North New South Wales, 2640

The Foundation stone was laid August 9 1958 by Rev E A Bennett and opened November 29 by Rev E H Wood.

Read More

Albury, NSW - Baptist

Albury, NSW - Baptist

Address: Corner Crisp & Macavley Streets, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Luke's Lutheran

Albury, NSW - St Luke's Lutheran

Address: 436 Guinea Street, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

A Foundation stone for a new Church was laid on 28 September 1938.

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Albury, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 4518 Kiewa Street, , Albury New South Wales,

The Albury Anglican Parish was established in February 1850 and by 1851 the first rector Henry Elliott had arrived. By 1856 a plan by Sydney architect Edmund Blacket was accepted and work began in 1857. The first portion: nave, south porch and tower base, was opened on March 13 1859. The external walls were of local Monument Hill…

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Olive & Smolett Streets, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

Father Charles Lovat, a pioneer priest from Yass, celebrated Albury's first Catholic mass on November 25, 1843 in a much smaller building at a different location. The present Church was opened on November 24, 1872. The priest who planned its construction was buried behind the altar. He was Dr. Michael McAlroy, Albury's parish priest from…

Read More

Alexandria, NSW - St Lazarus Serbian Orthodox

Alexandria, NSW - St Lazarus Serbian Orthodox

Address: 14 Renwick Street, , Alexandria New South Wales, 2015

Read More

Alstonville, NSW - Baptist

Alstonville, NSW - Baptist

Address: 108 Wardell Road, , Alstonville New South Wales, 2477

Read More

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

Built between 1886 and 1889 and opened in February 1889 the church was a gift by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie as a memorial to her husband John Baillie who died in 1854. He was a sub-editor of the Colonial Observer and later the Secretary and Inspector of the Bank of New South Wales. The Architect's were Cyril Arthur Blackett son of the…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican

Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 120 Johnston Street, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

A commitment on 2 October 1891 was made to purchase as block of land at the corner of Booth and Johnston Streets for a price of £9 per square foot. A quote was accepted from Archibald Graham. The Foundation stone was to be laid 18 June 1892 however this was delayed due to building delays and a mistake by the builder who said he made a…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Annandale, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.* A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - Uniting

Annandale, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: 82 Johnston Street, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

A wall plaque reads, " National Trust Classified. Annandale Uniting formerly Methodist Church was built in 1891 incorporating the façade of the Bull and Company Warehouse, at 104 – 106 Pitts Street Sydney which was destroyed by fire in 1890. The ornate Victorian stonework was carved by Thomas Wran, the Great Grandfather of Neville Wran a…

Read More

Appin, NSW - St Bed's Catholic

Appin, NSW - St Bed's Catholic

Year Built: 1838

Address: 26 King Street, , Appin New South Wales, 2560

The Foundation of the Roman Catholic Chapel was laid at Appin last week by Bishop Polding”. St Bede’s Catholic Church was officially opened on 8 October 1843. Restoration works were carried out in 1999 with a formal opening occurring in early 2000. A rustic iron sign outside the gorgeous and historically significant St Bede’s reads “The…

Read More

Appin, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Appin, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 1-3 Church Street, , Appin New South Wales, 2560

The site was established in 1839 and the Church commenced in 1841. The Australian (9 January 1841) noted: '...a very neat Episcopalian Church of stone, also a Roman Catholic chapel, are in the course of completion at Appin'. St Mark's was opened 25 April 1843 and dedicated by the Bishop W G Broughton. This is a small dressed sandstone…

Read More

Arding, NSW - Uniting

Arding, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1883

Address: Hawthorne Drive, , Arding New South Wales, 2358

Read More

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Address: 187 Chapel Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

Plans for a church in Armidale were drawn up by Mr R. Hickson according to the Armidale Express 26 April 1918. On December 14, 1918 the Church building was formally opened. On February 20, 1920 a church meeting of the New England Baptist Church resolved that the name be changed to Armidale District Baptist Church and that the 'centre of…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Armidale, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1918

Address: 124 Jessie Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The first Baptist Church in Armidale was built in 1882 on the corner of Brown and Allingham Streets. The current Armidale property, on corner Rusden and Jessie Streets, was purchased by members of the Black Mountain congregation in 1918, and the current Armidale building was opened in December that year. It cost £2,500. A Foundation…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: 136 Dangar Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

Mr Joseph Daly donated £300 to purchase suitable land for the first Cathedral closer to the centre of town and a decision was made to purchase land from Thomas Bryan Fitzgerald on the north-western corner of Dangar and Barney Streets, Armidale. The cathedral, of brick construction and a shingled roof, was duly opened on the Feast of the…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Armidale, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 122 Rusden Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The original St Peter's Church, a timber building, was opened in 1850 near the site of the present cathedral. The foundation stone for the cathedral, designed by Canadian Architect, J. Horbury Hunt, was laid in 1873. Hunt's original concept and alternative design, both stone and in the Anglo-French style, were largely in keeping with…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - Uniting

Armidale, NSW - Uniting

Address: 114 Rusden Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The original church was built in 1864 and is the oldest surviving Church building in Armidale. The Architect was Mr Thomas Rowe. It is now Wesley Hall. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Rev W.H. Beale November 30 1892". A plaque reads, " This plaque was unveiled on 14th February 1988 to commemorate the restoration of the…

Read More

Arncliffe, NSW - St David's Anglican

Arncliffe, NSW - St David's Anglican

Address: 54 Forest Road, , Arncliffe New South Wales, 2205

The original St David's Anglican Church was in Hirst St, on part of the land granted in 1833 to convict overseer Reuben Hannam by Governor Bourke, as a reward for developing the sandstock brick much used in early colonial building. A church was built in 1879, and served for the next thirty years. In March 1906, a larger more prominent…

Read More

Arncliffe, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Arncliffe, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1931

Address: 4 Forest Road, , Arncliffe New South Wales, 2205

The Church was designed by Clement Clancy in the Romanesque style and built in 1931. It features a distinctive 33 metre high round Celtic tower. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was blessed and laid by Archbishop Kelly Dec 3rd 1911".

Read More

Arncliffe, NSW - St Mark's Coptic Orthodox

Arncliffe, NSW - St Mark's Coptic Orthodox

Year Built: 1906

Address: 72 Wollongong Road, , Arncliffe New South Wales, 2205

A Foundation stone reads, This memorial stone was laid by Mrs Marian Davies July 21 1906. A further Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid by His Excellency Admiral Sir Harry Rawson GG3 Governor of NSW July 21 1906". A further foundation stone reads "The God of heaven, He will prosper us therefore we his servants will…

Read More

Ashbury, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Ashbury, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 54 Leopold Street, , Ashbury New South Wales, 2193

The Parish was established in 1928 with Fr McMahon as our first pastor. The foundation stone for the first building was laid in 1929 and into the foundations was buried a stone which had come from the church in Malacca where St. Francis Xavier had preached the Gospel. In 1930 which was to have a significant and continuing influence on…

Read More

Ashbury, NSW - St Matts Anglican

Ashbury, NSW - St Matts Anglican

Address: 4 Leith Street, , Ashbury New South Wales, 21993

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Mrs J.H. Goodlet 17th Oct 1926".

Read More

Ashbury, NSW - Uniting

Ashbury, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 5 Melville Street, , Ashbury New South Wales, 21993

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Rev BR Wyllie MA BD President NSW Conference 26th Oct 1957. The Rev P.F. Gibson Minister". The Hall is called the Peace Memorial Hall and was built around 1962.

Read More

Ashfield, NSW - Baptist

Ashfield, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1937

Address: 19 Holden Street, , Ashfield New South Wales, 2131

The first Baptist Church building in Ashfield was in 1886 at 25 Holden Street, The current Church is the third on this site and was built in 1937. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was unveiled to the Glory of God by Rev R. Goodman Pastor of the Church 28th August 1937". A church of dark brown face brickwork with dressings of…

Read More

Ashfield, NSW - Presbyterian

Ashfield, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 3 Knox Street, , Ashfield New South Wales, 2131

The first Presbyterian service in Ashfield was held in the Oddfellows' Hall in October, 1875, On 12/3/1876 the first weatherboard church was opened by the Revd. Dr John Dummore Lang, the land having been given by John Pope, Ashfield's first Mayor. In 1882, additional land was purchased and a building fund opened for a new church. Knox…

Read More

Ashfield, NSW - St John's Anglican

Ashfield, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 81 Alt Street, , Ashfield New South Wales, 2131

The foundation stone of a church was laid by Bishop Broughton in 1840, but problems with brickwork resulted in Edmund Blacket being called in and the church being re-erected under his direction. The first section was completed in 1843 and consecrated in 1845. The third Rector, the Revd. Fred Wilkinson, carved the reredos and screen to…

Read More

Ashfield, NSW - Uniting

Ashfield, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1865

Address: 180 Liverpool Road, , Ashfield New South Wales, 2131

Formerly a Methodist Church it was established in 1840 and constructed in 1865. The site one which the Church now stands was part of the 1841 subidivion of the Canterbury Estate. Robert Campbell donated the land to the Wesleyan Church in 1842, and a small church was first erected on the site now occupied by the hall. The foundation stone…

Read More

Asquitch, NSW - St John's Anglican

Asquitch, NSW - St John's Anglican

Address: 6 Royston Parade, , Asquith New South Wales, 2077

The foundation stone for the first St John's Anglican Church was laid by Mrs. George (Emily) Pile on 23rd July 1921. The completed church was dedicated by Archbishop Wright in April 1923. A full history can be viewed here.

Read More