State: New South Wales, Denomination: Roman Catholic
Year Built: 1843
Address: Corner Olive & Smolett Streets, , Albury New South Wales, 2640
Father Charles Lovat, a pioneer priest from Yass, celebrated Albury's first Catholic mass on November 25, 1843 in a much smaller building at a different location. The present Church was opened on November 24, 1872. The priest who planned its construction was buried behind the altar. He was Dr. Michael McAlroy, Albury's parish priest from…
Year Built: 1912
Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038
The first congregation of the newly established parish met for Mass in the Council Chambers on Sunday 6 March 1898. There were about fifty people present.* A block of land at the corner of Trafalgar and Johnson Streets was purchased and it was proposed to build a church school and convent. The Architect was Joseph Sheerin. The Church…
Year Built: 1838
Address: 26 King Street, , Appin New South Wales, 2560
The Foundation of the Roman Catholic Chapel was laid at Appin last week by Bishop Polding”. St Bede’s Catholic Church was officially opened on 8 October 1843. Restoration works were carried out in 1999 with a formal opening occurring in early 2000. A rustic iron sign outside the gorgeous and historically significant St Bede’s reads “The…
Year Built: 1911
Address: 136 Dangar Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350
Mr Joseph Daly donated £300 to purchase suitable land for the first Cathedral closer to the centre of town and a decision was made to purchase land from Thomas Bryan Fitzgerald on the north-western corner of Dangar and Barney Streets, Armidale. The cathedral, of brick construction and a shingled roof, was duly opened on the Feast of the…
Year Built: 1906
Address: 6 Eaton Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041
The first St Augustine's was built in 1848 and designed by Augustus Pugin England's most influential early Victorian architect. In 1848 the Archbishop of Sydney put up a bond of 150 which would be voided unless part of a church or materials worth 400 were on site within 18 months. The "magnificent plot of land [was] beautifully…
Year Built: 1916
Address: Main Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668
The fine brick building was blessed upon its completion by Rev. John Gallagher, Bishop of Goulburn on 19th March 1916, and dedicated to God under the patronage of Saint Joseph. It is not known when Barmedman was connected to the Parish of Temora. The first Mass for the township on record took place in 1882. In the absence of the church…
Address: 136 Gipps Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550
In 1865 St Patrick's parish begins in Bega as a separate parish from Pambula. The Original church was consecrated in 1882. In 1884 The Sisters of Charity established their first school near St Patrick's Church.
Address: 121 Loftus Street, , Bemboka New South Wales, 2550
On Sunday last, April 27th, (1884) the second Sunday after Easter, the Catholic residents at and around the township of Colombo had the proud satisfaction of meeting in their new church, and of witnessing the ceremony by which the church was solemnly opened for Divine service. The very Rev. Dean Healy officiated with the Rev. Father…
Year Built: 1968
Address: 72 Frederick Street, , Bendemeer New South Wales, 2355
A Foundation stone reads, " A. M. D. G. This stone commemorates the solemn blessing of Holy Innocents Church by the Rt Rev Maurice Tully P.P. Vicar Capitular 12th May, 1968 Rev George O'Connor, P.P. Pastor".
Year Built: 1935
Address: Albert Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535
The Church was established in 1870. A Foundation stone reads, "This Foundation stone of St Patrick's Church Berry was solemnly blessed and laid by His Grace The Most Rev M. Sheehan D.D. 24 November 1935".
Year Built: 1913
Address: Monteagle Street, , Binalong New South Wales, 2584
The first church was located on Church Hill and was called the Church of St Peter's and Paul. The foundation stone of that church was laid in March 1859. It was later demolished. The Foundation stone of the existing Federation style church was laid on 17 September 1911 by the Catholic Bishop of Goulburn Dr Gallagher. Built of local…
Year Built: 1907
Address: 15 Adelaide Street, , Bondi Junction New South Wales, 2022
The original church was built in 1907 and enlarged twice. The present church (AUSTIN MACKAY) was opened in 1940 and is of Art Deco style with Romanesque windows and prominent stained glass depicting the 14 Stations of the Cross. The Foundation stone was laid in 1939.
Year Built: 1910
Address: Fagan Drive, , Bookham New South Wales, 2582
A Foundation stone reads, " St Columba's Church Foundation stone blessed and laid 14th Aug 1910 by Right Rev J. Gallagher D.D. Bishop of Goulburn Rev John Sharkey Rector". Today the Church is in private hands.
Year Built: 1877
Address: Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586
The church was established in 1865 and construction of the current church was completed in 1877. The first Mass was conducted in fact iin 1837 by Father Brennan from Yass. Its a Gothic church of blue granite and sandstone both locally quarried. Its 35m in length by 19m wide with ceiling and rafters made from stained timber. The roof is…
Year Built: 1986
Address: 2 Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576
A plaque reads, St Thomas Aquinas Church Bowral dedicated by the Bishop of Wollongong the Most Reverend William E. Murray DD Dsc. STOC on 9th November 1986 Parish Priest: Father John Higgins PP. Builder: Mr. Barry Howard Design and Project Manager: Mr. -Frank McCormack - Volunteers: with thanks to all."
Year Built: 1935
Address: 1 Deacon Street, , Bangalow New South Wales, 2479
A Foundation stone reads, "D O M This foundation stone of St Kevin's Church was laid in 20th January 1935 by the Most Rev John Carroll D.D. Bishop of Lismore Ven Archdeacon Scott PP". A plaque on a rock at the steps to the Church reads, "Church of St Kevins Bangalow Blessed by Bishop P Farrelly 16th June 1935. Archdeacon B Scott PP.…
Address: 50 Tennyson Street, , Byron Bay New South Wales, 2481
The first church in Byron Bay was built in 1900 and was also used as a school in those early years. At this time, the separate parish of Mullumbimby was established in 1917, leaving Bangalow and Byron Bay as the main towns of the parish.
Address: 33 John Street, , Camden New South Wales, 2570
The Church was established in 1859 when the great Archbishop Polding was still in office as Archbishop of Sydney and the indomitable pioneer priest of the Australian Church, Father John Joseph Therry, who had certainly proclaimed the Word of God in the Camden area, was approaching the end of his days as Parish Priest of Balmain. Early…
Year Built: 1915
Address: 7 Evaline Street, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194
Built around 1915 the Church cost 12,000 according to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald of 25 October 1927. The Church was opened by Archbishop Kelly. Romanesque style red brick Church with slate roof. Arched opening at front, small rose window, pilasters alongside walls are features. It is a typical twentieth century Parish…
Year Built: 1875
Address: 16 Kamaroka Street, , Candelo New South Wales, 2550
This is the oldest Catholic Church in the Bega Parish. Designed by Father Patrick Slattery the first Parish Priest of the district. It was opened by Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan on January 31st 1875.
Year Built: 1902
Address: Tilga Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804
A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev J. Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 11th May 1902". A further Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev J. Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst July 27 1913".
Year Built: 1870
Address: Collins Street, , Carcoar New South Wales, 2791
Constructed in 1870 the Church boasts a slim stone bellcote and spire and retains its original cooling system, which was cleverly created by wall cavities through which cooler air passed into outlets in the window sills. A letter to the Editor of the Freemans Journal of 11 March 1871 paints an inspired description of the church and…
Year Built: 1940
Address: 126 Canterbury Street, , Casino New South Wales, 2470
The first Catholic Church was erected in 1876. The current Church was built of local red bricks in 1940. A late Art Deco church with rectangular lines and heavy scale and bulk. Romanesque elements on facade. The Church was consecrated in May, 1940 by the Bishop of Lismore. The bricks came from Coombell, south of Casino.