Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: New South Wales, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Bondi Junction, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Bondi Junction, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 15 Adelaide Street, , Bondi Junction New South Wales, 2022

The original church was built in 1907 and enlarged twice. The present church was opened in 1940 and is of Art Deco style with Romanesque windows and prominent stained glass depicting the 14 Stations of the Cross. The Foundation stone was laid in 1939.

Read More

Bondi, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Bondi, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1929

Address: 2 Wellington Street, , Bondi New South Wales, 2026

The Church was established as a parish in 1917 from territory originally belonging to the care of the Franciscan fathers and then to a larger parish which comprised all of Rose Bay and Woollahra. The Catholic Press reported on Thursday 8th August 1929 that the blessing of the Foundation stone was to be held at 3.30pm Sunday 18th. The…

Read More

Bookham, NSW - St Columba's Catholic (Former)

Bookham, NSW - St Columba's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1910

Address: Fagan Drive, , Bookham New South Wales, 2582

A Foundation stone reads, " St Columba's Church Foundation stone blessed and laid 14th Aug 1910 by Right Rev J. Gallagher D.D. Bishop of Goulburn Rev John Sharkey Rector". Today the Church is in private hands.

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Boorowa, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1877

Address: Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

‘A church was built 1854 as an outpost of Yass Mission, but a resident priest came in 1864. That old church became unstable and too small and was later replaced. A stain-glassed window of the Irish Saints Patrick, Bridget and Columba is a fine element, but there is within it a surprising inset panel of the ‘Liberator’ Daniel O’Connell,…

Read More

Botany, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Botany, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 4 Ramsgate Street, , Botany New South Wales, 2019

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. St Bernard's Church was blessed and opened 3rd April 1955 by His Eminence N.T. Cardinal Gilroy Archbishop of Sydney Rev T. Everard Priest in Charge".

Read More

Bowning, NSW - St Columba's Catholic (Former)

Bowning, NSW - St Columba's Catholic (Former)

Address: Silver Street, , Bowning New South Wales, 2582

Now in Private hands.

Read More

Bowral, NSW - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Bowral, NSW - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: 2 Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576

A plaque reads, St Thomas Aquinas Church Bowral dedicated by the Bishop of Wollongong the Most Reverend William E. Murray DD Dsc. STOC on 9th November 1986 Parish Priest: Father John Higgins PP. Builder: Mr. Barry Howard Design and Project Manager: Mr. -Frank McCormack - Volunteers: with thanks to all."

Read More

Bulli, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Bulli, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 48 Park Road, , Bulli New South Wales, 2516

The first Roman Catholic Church at Bulli was sited “on the Woonona side of Mailbag Hollow” – near main road (now Princes Highway). The first Parish priest, Dean Michael Flanagan, arrived in 1885. On 21 October 1897, a new site for the church was purchased on Park Road, Bulli. The foundation stone of a new church was laid on 1 January…

Read More

Bundanoon, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Bundanoon, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1895

Address: 16 Hill Street, , Bundanoon New South Wales, 2578

Church was built in 1895; prior to that, Roman Catholic services were conducted at Sutton Forest. A wall plaque reads, " In grateful recognition of the generous contributions made by the townspeople of Bundanoon towards the building of this Church. Blessed & Opened on 31st March 1895 by Most Rev. Joseph Higgins W Bishop of Maitland. On…

Read More

Bundeena, NSW - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Bundeena, NSW - Our Lady of the Way Catholic

Address: 73 Bundenna Drive, , Bundeena New South Wales, 2230

Read More

Bungalow, NSW - St Kevin's Catholic

Bungalow, NSW - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: 1 Deacon Street, , Bangalow New South Wales, 2479

A Foundation stone reads, "D O M This foundation stone of St Kevin's Church was laid in 20th January 1935 by the Most Rev John Carroll D.D. Bishop of Lismore Ven Archdeacon Scott PP". A plaque on a rock at the steps to the Church reads, "Church of St Kevins Bangalow Blessed by Bishop P Farrelly 16th June 1935. Archdeacon B Scott PP.…

Read More

Bungendore, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Bungendore, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Turallo Terrace, , Bungendore New South Wales, 2621

Read More

Burrawang, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Burrawang, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: 45 Church Street, , Burrawang New South Wales, 2577

The Church is the original building, after two acres of ground were purchased at 20 pounds per acre. Allen and Lawler built the church at a cost of £280. The timber was milled below the park at Burrawang by the late C. Moule. The shingles were split by the champion shingle splitter of the day, Ned Moses and the windows had shutters on…

Read More

Byron Bay, NSW - St Finbarr's Catholic

Byron Bay, NSW - St Finbarr's Catholic

Address: 50 Tennyson Street, , Byron Bay New South Wales, 2481

The first church in Byron Bay was built in 1900 and was also used as a school in those early years. At this time, the separate parish of Mullumbimby was established in 1917, leaving Bangalow and Byron Bay as the main towns of the parish.

Read More

Camden, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Camden, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Address: 33 John Street, , Camden New South Wales, 2570

The Church was established in 1859 when the great Archbishop Polding was still in office as Archbishop of Sydney and the indomitable pioneer priest of the Australian Church, Father John Joseph Therry, who had certainly proclaimed the Word of God in the Camden area, was approaching the end of his days as Parish Priest of Balmain. Early…

Read More

Campbelltown, NSW - St John's Catholic

Campbelltown, NSW - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 35 Cordeaux Street, , Campbelltown New South Wales, 2560

Father James Dunne took charge of Campbelltown parish in 1886 and one of his first tasks was to look to a new parish church. In March 1886 he signed a contract with Mr Oliver Harley of Darlinghurst for the erection and completion of St John’s Church, Cordeaux Street for a sum of £1686. The architect was Mr J.B. Barlow and Mr Harley was…

Read More

Campbelltown, NSW - St John's Catholic (Former)

Campbelltown, NSW - St John's Catholic (Former)

Address: 13 George Street, , Campbelltown New South Wales, 2560

A stuccoed brick Church of simple Georgian design. The arched window openings and pilasters are marked by projecting render work and quoins represent ashlar work. In 1886 it was converted to a convent school, a mezzanine floor being added at the same time. Church built by Father Therry between 1825 and 1841 an important ecclesiastical…

Read More

Camperdown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Camperdown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 2 Missenden Road, , Camperdown New South Wales, 2050

The Church was erected and established in 1889, it remains one of the oldest and historical Churches in Sydney today. The baptismal font in the Church was designed and erected by renowned Australian sculptor Tom Bass in 1959 and is one of many objects that form the parish’s history.

Read More

Campsie, NSW - St Mels Catholic

Campsie, NSW - St Mels Catholic

Year Built: 1915

Address: 7 Evaline Street, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

Built around 1915 the Church cost 12,000 according to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald of 25 October 1927. The Church was opened by Archbishop Kelly. Romanesque style red brick Church with slate roof. Arched opening at front, small rose window, pilasters alongside walls are features. It is a typical twentieth century Parish…

Read More

Candelo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Candelo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: 16 Kamaroka Street, , Candelo New South Wales, 2550

This is the oldest Catholic Church in the Bega Parish. Designed by Father Patrick Slattery the first Parish Priest of the district. It was opened by Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan on January 31st 1875.

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: Tilga Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev J. Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 11th May 1902". A further Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev J. Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst July 27 1913".

Read More

Carcoar, NSW - Church of the Immaculate Conception Catholic

Carcoar, NSW - Church of the Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1870

Address: Collins Street, , Carcoar New South Wales, 2791

Constructed in 1870 the Church boasts a slim stone bellcote and spire and retains its original cooling system, which was cleverly created by wall cavities through which cooler air passed into outlets in the window sills. A letter to the Editor of the Freemans Journal of 11 March 1871 paints an inspired description of the church and…

Read More

Cargo, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Cargo, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 15 Church Street, , Cargo New South Wales, 2800

Read More

Caringbah, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Caringbah, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Address: 389 Port Hacking Road, , Caringbah New South Wales, 2229

In 1949, the then priest of the Cronulla parish, Monsignor James Donovan, proposed to establish a building on the site of the current school to be used as a church and school. The building was completed in 1949. A Foundation stone reads, “This Church of Our Lady of Fatima was opened and solemnly dedicated by His Eminence Edward Bede…

Read More

Caringbah, NSW - St Phil's Anglican

Caringbah, NSW - St Phil's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 402 Port Hacking Road, , Caringbah New South Wales, 2229

The Church started in nearby Burns Hall in October 1924. The foundation stone on our current site was laid on 2nd July 1927, and the first Minister, Rev Arthur Reeves was appointed in 1933. A new church building was constructed and opened by Archbishop Gough on 24th June 1961 and this is where we still meet to this day. A wall plaque…

Read More

Carlingford, NSW - St Gerard Majella Catholic

Carlingford, NSW - St Gerard Majella Catholic

Address: 426 N Rocks Road, , Carlingford New South Wales, 2118

Read More

Casino, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Casino, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 126 Canterbury Street, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

The first Catholic Church was erected in 1876. The current Church was built of local red bricks in 1940. A late Art Deco church with rectangular lines and heavy scale and bulk. Romanesque elements on facade. The Church was consecrated in May, 1940 by the Bishop of Lismore. The bricks came from Coombell, south of Casino.

Read More

Cassilis, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Cassilis, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: Scott Street, , Cassilis New South Wales, 2329

The Foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Maitland Dr Murray on 28th January 1894. The building was to be of wood with a stone foundation at a cost of around £800.

Read More

Castle Hill, NSW - St Bernadette's Catholic

Castle Hill, NSW - St Bernadette's Catholic

Address: 367 Old Northern Road, , Castle Hill New South Wales, 2154

The history of St Bernadette’s parish began in Baulkham Hills, in the year 1849. For “Ten Pounds of Lawful British Money”, a contract was signed and sealed for the purchase of one and a half acres of land on the New Windsor Road which was to be the site for the first St Michael’s Church. In 1948 the purchase of seven acres (2.83…

Read More

Cathcart, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Cathcart, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Address: Eden Street, , Cathcart New South Wales, 2632

The Church was built around 1880. The Church closed in 1970.

Read More

Chatswood, NSW - Our Lady of Dolours Catholic

Chatswood, NSW - Our Lady of Dolours Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 94 Archer Street, , Chatswood New South Wales, 2067

The Catholic Church acquired property in Archer Street in 1888. The building of first church/school took place in 1895 on a portion of an 1863 cemetery grant of some three and a half acres in Archer/Anderson Streets. The Church was opened in 1921 but not finished until 1961. Architects were Messrs Hennessy and Hennessy.…

Read More

Clovelly, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Clovelly, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Address: 58 Arden Street, , Clovelly New South Wales, 2031

Read More

Cobargo, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Cobargo, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1896

Address: 58 Wandella Road, , Cobargo New South Wales, 2550

Read More

Coffs Harbour, NSW - St Augustine War Memorial Catholic

Coffs Harbour, NSW - St Augustine War Memorial Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 12 Gordon Street, , Coffs Harbour New South Wales, 2450

The first Church was erected in 1908. It was opened on 26 January 1908 and blown down on Christmas Eve 1908. The Catholic Life magazine featured the solemn occasion in its October 1961 issue of the Blessing and laying of the Foundation stone of the current Church. "The foundation stones of the new St Augustine's Church and the Good…

Read More

Coleambally, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Coleambally, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1982

Address: 20 Kingfisher Avenue, , Coleambally New South Wales, 2707

The church was opened on 12 December 1982 by the Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D. Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Collaroy Plateau, NSW - St Rose of Lima Catholic

Collaroy Plateau, NSW - St Rose of Lima Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 4 Rose Avenue, , Collaroy Plateau New South Wales, 2097

Sometime in the late 1950’s approval was sought from the then Cardinal to purchase land for a church and a little time after approval was received and 4 Rose Ave Collaroy Plateau was purchased. Architects, Fowell, Mansfield, Jarvis, & Maclurcan to design the church. The porch was designed by parishioner Nick Ciko and built by parishioner…

Read More

Collector, NSW - St Bartholomew's Catholic

Collector, NSW - St Bartholomew's Catholic

Year Built: 1851

Address: Bourke Street, , Collector New South Wales, 2581

The Church was built in 1851

Read More

Collie, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Collie, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Address: Coonamble Street, , Collie New South Wales, 2827

Read More

Concord, NSW - Our Lady of Mercy Catholic

Concord, NSW - Our Lady of Mercy Catholic

Address: 102 Burwood Road, , Concord New South Wales, 2137

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Coogee, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: Corner Brook & Waltham Streets, , Coogee New South Wales, 2034

The Church was opened in 1922 and consecrated by the then Archbishop of Sydney, the Rev. J. Kelly. With the Church being completed Fr. Gilbert commenced on the school project, the main portion being completed in 1923, followed by the new presbytery in 1924. During this period the statue of St. Brigid on the north-west exterior corner of…

Read More