Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: New South Wales, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: Croydon Road, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

On 18 December, 1850, Michael Gannon purchased 1905 acres from the estate of Captain John Townson whose grant of crown land took in the whole of the present suburbs of Hurstville and Carlton reaching almost to Kogarah Bay. Michael Gannon then transferred ownership of two acres to the Most Reverend John Bede Polding on 24 November, 1855…

Read More

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Address: 2 Croydon Road, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

On 18 December, 1850, Michael Gannon purchased 1905 acres from the estate of Captain John Townson whose grant of crown land “took in the whole of the present suburbs of Hurstville and Carlton reaching almost to Kogarah Bay”.Michael Gannon transferred the ownership of two acres of his land to the Most Reverend John Bede Polding on 24…

Read More

Ingleburn, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Ingleburn, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Address: 136 Oxford Street, , Ingleburn New South Wales, 2565

Fr Frank O’Hara was appointed the first parish priest and took up residence, establishing an old army hut near the Ingleburn railway station as the first parish church in late 1968 named St Christopher’s Catholic Church. The church was blessed and opened by Mgr Herbert O’Reilly, vicar capitular of the Diocese of Wollongong on 26 January…

Read More

Inverell, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Inverell, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 81 Vivian Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360

The Freeman's Journal of Sat Jan 6th 1872 describes the then opening of church at the time in the following terms, " Certainly it was due to the great kindness of the Right Rev. Or. O'Malley, who came at considerable inconvenience to open our new church, that an earlier public recognition should have been made of his Lordship's zeal…

Read More

Jamberoo, NSW - St Matthew's Catholic

Jamberoo, NSW - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1879

Address: 22 Chapel Lane, , Jamberoo New South Wales, 2533

The first Church was erected in 1839 on land donated by the O'Mara family. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 November 1875 by Bishop Vaughan. The church was blessed and opened on 7 September 1879 by Archbishop Roger Vaughan.

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Jerilderie, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Coreen & Kennedy Streets, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The Church was built in 1878 and opened in 1882. It was enlarge in 1898 and the Sacristy added in 1928. Famous people who attended the church included Michael Abney-Hastings 1P Earl of Loudon (said to be the true King of England) was married in St Joseph's Catholic Church on Saturday March 8, 2008.

Read More

Jindabyne, NSW - St Columbkille Catholic

Jindabyne, NSW - St Columbkille Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: Lot 1 Kosciuszko Road, , Jindabyne New South Wales, 2627

‘The old town and church were submerged under dam waters. A new town was established and a church was built in 1966… Resident priests came in 1951 to serve worker camps at Cabramurra, Adaminaby, Guthega and other sites.’

Read More

Jindera, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Jindera, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 2011

Address: 188 Urana Street, , Jindera New South Wales, 2642

A wall plaque reads, " Saint Mary's Catholic Church was blessed and opened by the Most Reverend Gerard Hanna Bishop of Wagga Wagga on the 6th February 2011".

Read More

Jugiong, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Jugiong, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Address: Old Hume Highway, , Jugiong New South Wales, 2726

‘An early settler John Phillip Sheahan donated land for a church, which opened in 1861, and named St John’s Church in appreciation. A resident priest came in 1956. The parish is now cared for by the pastor of Murrumburrah parish.’

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Junee, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1929

Address: Kitchener Street, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 March 1929 by the Right Reverend J.W. Dwyer Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Kangaroo Valley, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Kangaroo Valley, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1888

Address: Moss Valley Road, , Kangaroo Valley New South Wales, 2577

This is the second structure on the site. The first, a wooden structure that seated about 30 people, was built in 1873. It was replaced in 1888 by the Church of St Joseph. Red Cedar cut and milled from the Valley was used for the pews. Fr Harnett rode a horse from Moss Vale to the Valley to conduct weekly Sunday Mass.

Read More

Kellyville, NSW - Our Lady of the Angels Catholic

Kellyville, NSW - Our Lady of the Angels Catholic

Address: 1 Wellgate Avenue, , Kellyville New South Wales, 2155

The beginnings of what we now know as Our Lady of the Angels, Rouse Hill began on 2 May 2007 when Fr Warren Edwards received a letter from Most Reverend Kevin Manning, Bishop of Parramatta Diocese, to establish Catholic services in the parochial district of Rouse Hill.

Read More

Kellyville, NSW - Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic

Kellyville, NSW - Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic

Address: 8 Diana Avenue, , Kellyville New South Wales, 2155

The church was blessed and opened on 10 March 1957 by Cardinal Gilroy. Prior to this, Mass was celebrated in the Memorial Hall and Housie nights were held to raise money for the building of the church. The church was moved from Windsor Road to Diana Avenue in 1976 under the direction of the then Parish Priest, Rev Maximilian…

Read More

Kensington, NSW - Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic

Kensington, NSW - Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic

Address: 4 Roma Avenue, , Kensington New South Wales, 2033

Our Lady of the Rosary (OLR) Parish Kensington was originally part of the Randwick Parish and became a separate Parish in 1906 under the care of the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. The parish then included what is now Daceyville Parish, taking in the area of South Kensington or Kingsford as we now know it.

Read More

Kenthurst, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Kenthurst, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Address: 114 Kenthurst Road, , Kenthurst New South Wales, 2156

Read More

Kenthurst, NSW - St Madeleine's Sophie Barat Catholic

Kenthurst, NSW - St Madeleine's Sophie Barat Catholic

Address: 28 Annangrove Road, , Kenthurst New South Wales, 2156

Read More

Kiama, NSW - St Peter and Paul Catholic

Kiama, NSW - St Peter and Paul Catholic

Address: 94 Manning Street, , Kiama New South Wales, 2533

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was solemnly blessed and laid on the 5th of May 1963 by the Bishop of Wollongong Most Rev T McCabe D.D. Church of St Peter and Paul RT. Rev. Mgr M. Irish P.P. V.F. Pastor".

Read More

Kings Park, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Kings Park, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Address: 14 Bowmans Road, , Kings Park New South Wales, 2148

St Anthony's Church, Bowmans Road, Kings Park (formerly Marayong) was built for the workers at EPT (Electrical Power Transmission. The EPT site has now been subdivided for industrial purposes. The church, listed on the State Heritage Register, represents the development of Blacktown with industry after the post war migration and…

Read More

Kingscliffe, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Kingscliffe, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Year Built: 1993

Address: 16 Pearl Street, , Kingscliffe New South Wales, 2487

A Foundation stone reads, " This Church of St Anthony Kingscliffe for a War Memorial was solemnly blessed and opened on 17th December 1961 by The Most Rev P.J. Farrelly D.D. Bishop of Lismore. Reverend Father B.R. Leonard P.P.". A further Foundation stone reads, " This new St Anthony's Church is also a War Memorial it was solemnly…

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Kingsford, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 45 Sutherland Road, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

The Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1940 by the Most Reverend N. I. Gilroy D.D. Archbishop of Sydney.

Read More

Kingsgrove, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima

Kingsgrove, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima

Year Built: 1970

Address: 89 Shaw Street, , Kingsgrove New South Wales, 2208

Our Lady of Fatima Parish Kingsgrove was founded on the 14th March, 1948, when Father Eamon Clune was appointed Parish Priest of the new Parish of Kingsgrove-Bexley North. The current Church was consecrated by Cardinal Gilroy on September 6, 1970 when it was not fully completed. According to the architects Maclurcan and Brown it was…

Read More

Kirribilli, NSW Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Kirribilli, NSW Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 44 Willoughby Street, , Kirribilli New South Wales, 2061

A wall plaque reads, "This Church Our Lady Star of the Sea was blessed and consecrated by his Eminence N.T. Cardinal Gilroy KBE Archbishop of Sydney on 21 6 70".

Read More

Kootingal, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Kootingal, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 1A Irvine Street, , Kootingal New South Wales, 2352

Read More

Kyogle, NSW - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic

Kyogle, NSW - Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 156 Summerland Way, , Kyogle New South Wales, 2474

A Foundation stone reads, "Our Lady of Sorrows Church This foundation stone was blessed and laid by Most Rev Patrick J Farrelly DD Bishop of Lismore on Sunday 5th August 1956 Feast of Our Lady of the Sorrows". A plaque reads, "This Church has been erected as a memorial to members of The Armed Services who lost their lives in World Wars…

Read More

Lakemba, NSW - St Therese's Catholic

Lakemba, NSW - St Therese's Catholic

Address: 15 Garrong Road, , Lakemba New South Wales, 2195

A Foundation stone on an adjacent building reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed 27th October 1927 N.T. Cardinal Gilroy Archbishop of Sydney". A futher Foundation stone reads, " AMDG Church of St Therese Lakemba This stone was solemnly blessed by His Eminence NT Cardinal Gilroy Archbishop of Sydney".

Read More

Lalor Park, NSW - St Bernadette's Catholic

Lalor Park, NSW - St Bernadette's Catholic

Year Built: 1981

Address: 10 Gardenia Grove, , Lalor Park New South Wales, 2147

A wall plaque reads, " This Church under the title of Saint Bernadette was solemnly dedicated by Bishop Bede Heather on 27th September 1981. Rev T. Crowley Pastor Mr A. Battah Architect".

Read More

Lane Cove, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Lane Cove, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: 204 Longueville Road, , Lane Cove New South Wales, 2066

The Church was built in 1926, after foundation of the parish in 1922. The building was replaced by a new church on the site in 1976.

Read More

Lavender Bay, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Lavender Bay, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: 17 McKenzie Street, , Lavender Bay New South Wales, 2060

The Church was built of sandstone with slate roof and copper spire in Gothic Revival style and was designed by William Wardell. Opened in 1881 as a Catholic school with four classrooms. Large stained glass window, some 20m x 5m, executed by Stephen Moore in 1964. Arched colonnade to Mackenzie Street added in 1964.

Read More

Lavington, NSW - Holy Spirit Catholic

Lavington, NSW - Holy Spirit Catholic

Address: 550 Prune Street, , Lavington New South Wales, 2641

Father Patrick O'Connell opened the doors of the church in Lavington with Mass in the old Scout's hall Mutsch Street on Sunday February 1 1970. This hall was used for Mass by Sacred heart Parish when it was in Buckingham Street. The Church was to be semi circular with a rising six segment roof, backed by a square tower. R & GF Zauner…

Read More

Lawson, NSW - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Lawson, NSW - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Year Built: 1928

Address: 254 Great Western Highway, , Lawson New South Wales, 2783

In 1903 Cardinal Moran blessed and opened the first wooden church dedicated to Our Lady Help of Christians. For all of this time, the area was part of Katoomba Parish. Early in 1928, Mr Richard Meagher offered his Lawson property ‘Durham Lodge’ as the site for a new church. The church Our Lady of the Nativity is in fact a memorial to…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Leeton, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: Wade Avenue, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

A brick church the design of which was by Architects S.J. O'Halloran. The builder was T.J. Ashton. The Foundation stone was laid on 1 May 1955 by the Most Reverend F.A. Henschke D.D.

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - St Columba's Catholic

Leichhardt, NSW - St Columba's Catholic

Address: 213 Elswick Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - St Fiacre's Catholic

Leichhardt, NSW - St Fiacre's Catholic

Address: 96 Catherine Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 2040

Read More

Lennox Head, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Lennox Head, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Address: Ballina Street, , Lennox Head New South Wales, 2478

Read More

Lilyfield, NSW - St Francis Catholic

Lilyfield, NSW - St Francis Catholic

Address: 12 Trevor Street, , Lilyfield New South Wales, 2040

Read More

Lindfield, NSW - Immaculate Heart of Mary and Holy Family Catholic

Lindfield, NSW - Immaculate Heart of Mary and Holy Family Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: Cnr Highfield and Pacific Highway, , Lindfield New South Wales, 2070

A Foundation stone reads, "A.M.D.G. This Foundation stone was laid by Michael Kelly Archbishop of Sydney January 23rd 1927".

Read More

Lismore, NSW - St Carthage's Cathedral Catholic

Lismore, NSW - St Carthage's Cathedral Catholic

Address: 8 Leycester Street, , Lismore New South Wales, 2480

Bishop Jeremiah Doyle laid the foundation stone for the Lismore Cathedral in 1892. St Carthage's Cathedral was named after the Cathedral in Lismore, located in County Waterford, Dublin, Ireland.

Read More

Lithgow, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Lithgow, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1977

Address: 69 Lett Street, , Lithgow New South Wales, 2790

A Foundation stone reads, " St Patrick's Church was solemnly blessed by Most Rev A.R.E. Thomas D.D. Bishop of Bathurst on 17th April 1977 - Rt Rev MGR J. Sexton Pastor Rev T. Ryan Associate".

Read More

Liverpool, NSW - All Saint's Catholic

Liverpool, NSW - All Saint's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 48 George Street, , Liverpool New South Wales, 2170

Read More

Lockington, VIC - St Canice Catholic

Lockington, VIC - St Canice Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 27 Singer Road, , Lockington New South Wales, 2731

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of St Canice This Foundation stone was blessed and laid by Most Rev Bernard Stewart D.D. B.A. LL.B Bishop of Sandhurst 28th July 1957".

Read More