Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: New South Wales, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Narrabeen, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Narrabeen, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 21 Lagoon Street, , Narrabeen New South Wales, 2101

A Foundation stone on the earlier church building reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was solemnly blessed by The Most Rev M. Kelly D.D. Archbishop of Sydney on 5th Feb 1938".

Read More

Narrandera, NSW - St Mel's Catholic

Narrandera, NSW - St Mel's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: Audley Street, , Narrandera New South Wales, 2700

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1908 by the Most Reverend J. Gallagher Bishop of Goulburn. The Architects were Kempson and Connelly of Melbourne.

Read More

Narraweena, NSW - St John the Apostle Catholic

Narraweena, NSW - St John the Apostle Catholic

Address: 57 Waratah Road, , Narraweena New South Wales, 2099

Read More

Narromine, NSW - Catholic

Narromine, NSW - Catholic

Year Built: 1933

Address: 20 Dandaloo Street, , Narromine New South Wales,

A Church plaque reads, " St Augustines Church first Church was wooden building built 1894 - replaced by a brick structure on site of present presbytery 1912 - 1932 destroyed by Tornado 1932 - Church rebuilt on present site opened 16th July 1933".

Read More

Neutral Bay, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Neutral Bay, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 14 Lindsay Street, , Neutral Bay New South Wales, 2089

In 1906, Cardinal Moran opened the church and school at Neutral Bay which was built at a cost of almost ₤1,000. This building is now the parish hall. In 1914 Fr. Francis McDermott was appointed parish priest of Neutral Bay parish and remained there until he died in 1938. The present church building was opened in 1940.

Read More

Neville, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Neville, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Address: 13 Couch Street, , Neville New South Wales, 2799

The Church was built in 1897. The Church is now privately owned.

Read More

Newtown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Newtown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1869

Address: Cnr Bedford & Station Streets, , Newtown New South Wales, 2042

The Church was designed by architect Thomas Rowe and was opened by Archbishop John Bede Polding in May, 1869.

Read More

Nimmitabel, NSW - St Andrew's Catholic

Nimmitabel, NSW - St Andrew's Catholic

Address: Kirke Street, , Nimmitabel New South Wales, 2631

The first Church was erected in 1856. A plaque on the Church wall reads, This plaque commemorates the 150th anniversary of the laying of the original foundation stone of St Andrew's Church Nimmitabel by Father Patrick Newman, Parish Priest of Cooma on 14th July 1863 - 14th 2013. Father Paul Huthnance Parish Priest Cooma.".

Read More

Normanhurst, NSW - Queen of Peace Catholic

Normanhurst, NSW - Queen of Peace Catholic

Address: 18 Stuart Avenue, , Normanhurst New South Wales, 2076

Read More

North Albury, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

North Albury, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 330 Swan Street, , North Albury New South Wales, 2640

The Sacred Heart Parish of North Albury was established in 1955, with the Rev. Fr. S.A. Bongiorno as the Parish Priest. The “presbytery” was actually a house in Kokoda St North Albury, and all meetings and general business was conducted from there. The Church was finished in 1959 at a cost of ₤39,000. The bricks for the church came…

Read More

North Parramatta, NSW - St Monica's Catholic

North Parramatta, NSW - St Monica's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 8 Daking Street, , North Parramatta New South Wales, 2151

St Monica's Catholic Primary was established in 1892 by the Sisters of Mercy. It consisted of a small lean-to at the back of the Sacristy. The first Pastor was Fr James Joseph Mahoney. The present church was built in 1960 on the site of the Ancient Inn which had been pulled down. A wall plaque reads, " This plaque commemorates the…

Read More

North Tamworth, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

North Tamworth, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1939

Address: 13 Bligh Street, , North Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This Church dedicated to Our Lady of Victories was solemnly blessed and opened by his Lordship the Most Rev Dr Coleman on 21st May 1939".

Read More

Nowra, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Nowra, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 187

Address: 30 North Street, , Nowra New South Wales, 2541

The Church opened on 30 September 1877. In 1921 additions were made and the shingle roof was re­placed with tiles.

Read More

Oaklands, NSW - St Columba's Catholic

Oaklands, NSW - St Columba's Catholic

Year Built: 1915

Address: Buller Street, , Oaklands New South Wales, 2646

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend J Gallagher Bishop of Goulburn on 31 October 1915.

Read More

Oatley, NSW - St Josephs Catholic

Oatley, NSW - St Josephs Catholic

Year Built: 1950

Address: 21C Frederick Street , , Oatley New South Wales, 2223

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed and laid by the Right Reverend Monsignor Collender PP VGPA Sunday 8th October 1950"

Read More

Orange, NSW - St Jospeh's Catholic

Orange, NSW - St Jospeh's Catholic

Address: 84 Hill Street, , Orange New South Wales, 2800

A plaque reads "The Foundation stone was laid on 4th April 1869. The original Naive section of the Church was opened and blessed by Archbishop John Bede Polding GBS of Sydney and Bishops of Ballarat, Goulburn and Maitland Dioceses 30th April 1871. St Joseph had been declared Universal Patron of the Church by Pope Pius IX in 1870. St Mary…

Read More

Padstow, NSW - St Therese's Catholic

Padstow, NSW - St Therese's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 11 Harvey Avenue, , Padstow New South Wales, 2211

Padstow was made a separate parish from St Luke' s Revesby in 1962 after Fr Patrick Carr had secured the land for the Parish building and built the original school and Church, with the voluntary help of parishioners. The beginnings of a Catholic Church in Padstow, can be traced to a small wooden chapel at One Tree Point, which was part of…

Read More

Pambula, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Pambula, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1867

Address: 16 Monaro Street, , Pambula New South Wales, 2549

The first Catholic church was of slab construction near the bridge at Pambula. It was destroyed by huge floods in the early 1850's. A second timber church was built opposite Pambula Court House but was burnt down in the 1862 town fires. The present church was built in 1867. During the 1990's parishioners raised money by cutting…

Read More

Panania, NSW - St Christopher's Catholic

Panania, NSW - St Christopher's Catholic

Address: 213 Tower Street, , Panania New South Wales, 2213

The Parish of Panania was formed on February 1st, 1952 with the arrival of Fr Patrick Landers to his first appointment as Parish Priest. A weatherboard cottage on the site became the church and then the presbytery in the early years. In 1967 the Parish purchased the ‘Panania Star’ theatre and it was converted to become the new St…

Read More

Parkes, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Parkes, NSW - Holy Family Catholic

Year Built: 1942

Address: 29 Currajong Street, , Parkes New South Wales, 2870

The first recorded Mass was held in 1869 by Father Nugent. The foundation stone of the current Church was laid in 1941, by the then Bishop of Wilcannia-Forbes, The Most Rev. T.M. Fox D.D. and it was consecrated and opened in November 1942. The Architects were Messrs J. T. Powell, McClurcan and Mansfield. The site of the Church was the old…

Read More

Parramatta, NSW - St Patrick's Cathedral Catholic

Parramatta, NSW - St Patrick's Cathedral Catholic

Address: 1 Marist Place, , Parramatta New South Wales, 2150

Established as a church in 1836, the site was modified several times and consecrated as a cathedral in 1986. Destroyed by a 1996 fire, the old St Patrick's Cathedral became a Blessed Sacrament Chapel and adjoining it is a large contemporary Cathedral, completed in 2003. A tower was built on the original St Patrick's Church which was…

Read More

Peak Hill, NSW - St Jame's Catholic

Peak Hill, NSW - St Jame's Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: 151 Caswell Street, , Peak Hill New South Wales, 2869

Church services were originally held at the home of Denis McAuliffe on his grazing property at Bulgandramine until 1894. The Old St James Catholic Church was located at 116 Derribong Street Peak Hill and was built probably in c.1894 and in use in early 1895 and continued until c1936. The parish map of 1893 shows that John Dunne…

Read More

Peakhurst, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Peakhurst, NSW - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 825 Forrest Road, , Peakhurst New South Wales, 2210

A Foundation plaque reads, A.M.D.G. Our Lady of Fatima Church Peakhurst This Church was solemnly blessed by His Eminence Norman Thomas Cardinal Gilroy Archbishop of Sydney on 13th October 1968. Rev Joseph A. O'Shea P.P".

Read More

Penrith, NSW - St Nicholas of Myra Catholic

Penrith, NSW - St Nicholas of Myra Catholic

Address: 326 High Street, , Penrith New South Wales, 2750

In 1835, Reverend Corcoran was appointed the first priest at Windsor. Part of his parish included Penrith. The foundation stone of the first St Nicholas Church was laid by Archbishop Polding on 9 December, 1839. The first St Nicholas' Church was consecrated by Archbishop Polding on 13 November, 1850.

Read More

Phillip Bay, NSW - Reconciliation Catholic

Phillip Bay, NSW - Reconciliation Catholic

Address: 11 Yarra Road, , Phillip Bay New South Wales, 2036

Read More

Picton, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Picton, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: 69 Menangle Street, , Picton New South Wales, 2571

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. St Anthony's Church (Francis Sheil Memorial) blessed and opened by Cardinal Patrick Moran D.D. on September 1st 1901 Rev Edward Hanrahan Pastor".

Read More

Plumpton, NSW - The Good Shepherd Catholic

Plumpton, NSW - The Good Shepherd Catholic

Year Built: 1988

Address: 136 Hyatts Raod, , Plumpton New South Wales, 2761

The Church was opened and blessed by Bishop Bede in 1988.

Read More

Prospect, NSW - St Mark's Coptic Catholic

Prospect, NSW - St Mark's Coptic Catholic

Year Built: 2019

Address: 533 Reservoir Road, , Prospect New South Wales, 2148

Patriarch of the Coptic Catholic Church, Ibrahim Isaac Sidrak, travelled from Egypt to Sydney in March 2019 to consecrate the newly-built St Mark’s Coptic Catholic Church in the western Sydney. It is the first purpose-built Coptic Catholic church in Australia.

Read More

Pymble, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Pymble, NSW - Catholic (Former)

Address: 1188 Pacific Highway, , Pymble New South Wales, 2073

Read More

Pymble, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Pymble, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1991

Address: 2 Richard Porter Way, , Pymble New South Wales, 2073

A Foundation stone reads, " This Church of the Sacred Heart was solemnly dedicated by The Most Rev Patrick Lawrence Murphy DD First Bishop of Broken Bay on Sunday 27 October 1991. Rev Father HG Davis Parish Priest Rev FR Borg Assistant Priest Glendenning King & Tully Pty Ltd Architects".

Read More

Pyrmont, NSW - St Bede Catholic

Pyrmont, NSW - St Bede Catholic

Year Built: 1867

Address: 43 Pyrmont Street, , Pyrmont New South Wales, 2009

Pyrmont was isolated from the city initially and early development in the area was generally related to waterfront industries, such as shipyards. The construction of the Church in 1867 was by volunteer labour. A small, early, Victorian Gothic style Church constructed of dressed ashlar sandstone with a slate tile gable roof. It is…

Read More

Quakers Hill, NSW - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Quakers Hill, NSW - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Address: 125 Barnier Drive, , Quakers Hill New South Wales, 2763

Read More

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Raphael's Catholic

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Raphael's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 47 Lowe Street, , Queanbeyan New South Wales, 2620

‘The original church, St. Gregory’s, built of rubblestone in 1850 is based upon a Pugin design. A new church was opened in 1956 (St. Raphael’s).’

Read More

Quirindi, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Quirindi, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: 3 Thomas Street, , Quirindi New South Wales, 2343

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. The Foundations of this Church erected to the Glory of God under patronage of St Brigid the Mary of Ireland by the Ven Archdeacon T. Harrington P.P. and his faithful parishioners were blessed by the Most Rev John Coleman D.D. Bishop of Armidale on Sunday March 17th 1935".

Read More

Randwick, NSW - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Randwick, NSW - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 193 Avoca Street, , Randwick New South Wales, 2031

The first church building was a brick school church, designed by Mr Aston Watkins and able to hold 300 people. In May 1888 the new church was opened with the name of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart. This building now forms the Nave of the present church, including the baptistry and the steeple

Read More

Rankins Springs, NSW - Catholic

Rankins Springs, NSW - Catholic

Address: Mid Western Highway, , Rankins Springs New South Wales, 2669

Read More

Revesby Heights, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Revesby Heights, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 294 The River Road, , Revesby New South Wales, 2212

Read More

Revesby, NSW - St Luke's Catholic

Revesby, NSW - St Luke's Catholic

Address: 1 Beaconsfield Street, , Revesby New South Wales, 2212

Read More

Rooty Hill, NSW - Our Lady of Consolation Catholic

Rooty Hill, NSW - Our Lady of Consolation Catholic

Address: 32 Evans Road, , Rooty Hill New South Wales, 2766

On July 25th 1959 Our Lady of Consolation was officially opened and the residents moved from the inner city to their new environment at Rooty Hill. In 1962 – 1963 the original buildings were extended to cater for up to 300 aged care residents.

Read More

Rose Bay, NSW - St Mary Magdalene's Catholic

Rose Bay, NSW - St Mary Magdalene's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 835 New South Head Road, , Rose Bay New South Wales, 2029

The Church was opened for worship on 21 October 1871. The Preacher was Rev John Graham of the Pitt Street Congregational Church. The Church was built to the designs of Architect J. Barlow. The tower was added in 1932 and additions made in 1938 by Leslie Wilkson.

Read More