Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: New South Wales


Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: Tilga Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

The Church has two foundations stones attached to it. The first was laid on 11 May 1902 by the Bishop of Bathurst the Right Reverend J Dunn. The other was laid on 27 July 1915 by the same Bishop.

Read More

Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Church Street, , Canterbury New South Wales, 2193

Built on part of Robert Campbell's Canterbury estate on land donated by his daughter Sophia Ives Campbell. The Church was designed by Edmund Blacket. Built from local sandstone it was completed between 1858 and 1859 and consecrated on 12 April 1860. Of Gothic Revival Church style with steeply pitched roof which was originally covered…

Read More

Clovelly, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Clovelly, NSW - St Anthony's Catholic

Address: 58 Arden Street, , Clovelly New South Wales, 2031

Read More

Clovelly, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Clovelly, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Address: Corner Arden & Varna Streets, , Clovelly New South Wales, 2031

Read More

Coleambally, NSW - St Mark the Evangelist Anglican

Coleambally, NSW - St Mark the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1969

Address: Kookaburra Street, , Coleambally New South Wales, 2707

The church was opened on 25 April 1969 by the Bishop of Riverina.

Read More

Coleambally, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Coleambally, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1982

Address: 20 Kingfisher Avenue, , Coleambally New South Wales, 2707

The church was opened on 12 December 1982 by the Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D. Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Coleambally, NSW - Uniting

Coleambally, NSW - Uniting

Address: Kingfisher Avenue, , Coleambally New South Wales, 2707

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Coogee, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Address: Corner Brook & Waltham Streets, , Coogee New South Wales, 2034

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Coogee, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic

Address: 246 Malabar Road South, , Coogee New South Wales, 2034

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican

Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: 123 Brook Street, , Coogee New South Wales, 2034

The Foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Sydney Bishop Alfred Barry D.D. on 18 December 1886. The following year St. Nicolas Anglican was consecrated. In 1905 the church building was almost completed destroyed by fire. The Church was reopened in 1906. Between 1917 and 1944, St. Nicolas Coogee was instrumental in establishing…

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Coogee, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 5 Gregory Street, , South Coogee New South Wales, 2034

Read More

Coolamon, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Coolamon, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Mirool & Wade Streets, , Coolamon New South Wales, 2701

Constructed of brick the Foundation stone was laid on 17 April 1928 by the Bishop of Riverena. Another foundation stone dated 1905 is also attached to the church.

Read More

Coolamon, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Coolamon, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: Methul Street, , Coolamon New South Wales, 2701

The first church was built about the year 1888. It was enlarged some years later and served as a church school until the present brick church was built by the Rev Father Griffin in 1911 at a cost of £1,600. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 October 1911. In 1928 the church was added to by the erection of a sanctuary, sacristy and…

Read More

Coolamon, NSW - St Peter's Uniting

Coolamon, NSW - St Peter's Uniting

Address: 35 Loughnan Street, , Coolamon New South Wales, 2701

Read More

Coolamon, NSW - Unknown

Coolamon, NSW - Unknown

Address: Corner Loughnan & Mirrool Streets, , Coolamon New South Wales, 2701

Appears to be a private house.

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Baptist

Cootamundra, NSW - Baptist

Address: 90 Thompson Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Cootamundra, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1972

Address: Bourke Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

The first Church was of sawn slabs. This was pulled down and re-erected as a Mission Church at South Cootamundra, whilst a further Church was built of galvanised iron and was put up and served as a Church. This still exists as an adjunct to the parish hail. The second Church was built in 1877, dedicated on 12/7/1878 and consecrated by…

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Cootamundra, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: Morris Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

The first Roman Catholic was built in 1870. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 8 February 1916.

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Scots Presbyterian

Cootamundra, NSW - Scots Presbyterian

Year Built: 1983

Address: Corner Parker & Francis Streets, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

The Presbyterians in Cootamundra needed a minister, and the first settled minister to be appointed was a Scotsman, the Rev. J. Dykes Paterson, a minister of the Established Church of Scotland. He was inducted to the charge of Temora-Cootamundra in July 1882. A newspaper report of the day when describing Rev. J. Dykes-Paterson's induction…

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting

Cootamundra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1936

Address: Cooper Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

A Foundation stone attached to the current church was laid on 10 June 1936 by John Wilson McClintock. In the 1932 Jubilee Souvenir booklet of the Presbyterian Church, mention was made that the present church building was inadequate for the needs of the growing congregation, and the Board of Management had under review various schemes for…

Read More

Corawa, NSW - Calvery Memorial Uniting

Corawa, NSW - Calvery Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 1 Church Street, , Corawa New South Wales, 2646

In 1878, Rev. Presley was appointed to the Circuit and continued services at Howlang, Rutherglen, Corowa, Barnawartha and Chiltern. Services at Corowa shifted to the Oddfellows Hall at the top end of Sanger Street and were supported by local preachers Messers Trewran, Fraser, Taylor, Thompson, Dr. Whitaker. In April 1879, Rev.J.Leslie was…

Read More

Corawa, NSW - Presbyterian

Corawa, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: 11 Mary Street, , Corawa New South Wales, 2646

The first regular service of the Presbyterian parish was held on the 1st November, 1885 and for three years services were conducted by home missionaries. On Wednesday, 1st December, 1875, Neil Jamieson and a group of Scottish settlers met during a public meeting to consider what steps should be taken to secure a minister for the…

Read More

Corowa, NSW - Baptist

Corowa, NSW - Baptist

Address: 77 Tower Street, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646

Read More

Corowa, NSW - St Andrew's Lutheran (Former)

Corowa, NSW - St Andrew's Lutheran (Former)

Address: 23 Albert Street, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646

Transported to the site at 23 Albert Street Corowa in 1968 from Wodonga, the Church is made of corrugated iron (small profile) construction, with a iron roof and the internal wall are plasterboard. With wooden floors and louvre windows. The Church is closed and has been put up for sale.

Read More

Corowa, NSW - St John's Anglican

Corowa, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Federation Avenue, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646

The Church was built at Corowa on land donated by John Foord. The Church was opened in November 1883. The architects were Gordon and Gordon, of Albury and Corowa. Constructed in red brick, the building is designed in a Gothic style.

Read More

Corowa, NSW - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Corowa, NSW - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 23 Parade Place, , Corowa New South Wales, 2646

The current church was erected on the site of the first church which was built in 1875. While it was being built, Mass was celebrated in the school. It cost £9,000 to construct and built of brick with an imposing front elevation. Almost at the summit is a canopied niche, containing a magnificent statue of the Sacred heart in white Carara…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Baptist

Cowra, NSW - Baptist

Address: 11 Brougham Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1955

Address: 98 Kendall Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The foundation stone was laid on 29 October 1955 by his Excellency the Governor of NSW Lieutenant General Sir John Northcott KC MC.

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St Peter's Presbyterian

Cowra, NSW - St Peter's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: Macquarie Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The original church was opened in 1861 and built by Mr Pinder. The present church had its foundation stone laid in February 1912 by T.E. Clouston D.D. and was opened in 1913 and built by Henry S Francis. It was opened by Reverend James Barr.

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St Raphel's Catholic

Cowra, NSW - St Raphel's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: Lachlan Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The first St Raphael's was built along Gothic lines and opened in 1861. Built entirely of stone it was dedicated by Archbishop Polding in 1865. It was replaced by a new church in 1875. The current and third church had its foundation stone laid in 1938 with the stone of the second church forming the foundation of the third church.

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: Kendal Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The town allotments were surveyed in 1854 and the first land sales were held later in that year. Property for churches was reserved - the site for the Wesleyan Church was on the south east corner of Kendal and Darling Streets, and the site for the Minister's Residence on the corner of Darling Street and Bartlett Lane. It was not until…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: Grenfell Road, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

Formerly a Methodist church it was erected at Brundah Creek in 1887 and moved to its current site in 1916. Closed for regular services in 1969 it now forms part of the Uniting Church.

Read More

Culcairn, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Culcairn, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Balfour Street, , Culcairn New South Wales, 2660

Read More

Culcairn, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Culcairn, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 8 Blair street, , Culcairn New South Wales, 2660

Read More

Culcairn, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Culcairn, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1914

Address: Corner Balfour & Fraser Streets, , Culcairn New South Wales, 2660

The Foundation stone was laid by the right Reverend E.A. Anderson D.D. Bishop of the Riverina on 27 September 1914.

Read More

Culcairn, NSW - St Stephen's Lutheran

Culcairn, NSW - St Stephen's Lutheran

Year Built: 1966

Address: 13 MacBean Street, , Culcairn New South Wales, 2660

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 November 1966.

Read More

Daceyville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Daceyville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1913

Address: 29 Banks Avenue, Daceyville, New South Wales, 2032

Daceyville was Crown land in the 1880's and was named Raggetty Flat. In January of 1913, the Government Housing Board asked Archbishop Kelly if the Catholic Church was interested in participating in a ballot for sites to erect religious buildings in the then named Dacey Garden Suburb. The Archbishop accepted the invitation and the…

Read More

Darlington Point, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Darlington Point, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Year Built: 1925

Address: Hay Road, , Darlington Point New South Wales, 2027

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1925 by the Right Reverend J.W. Dwyer Bishop of Wagga.

Read More

Darlington Point, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Darlington Point, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1923

Address: Carrington Street, , Darlington Point New South Wales, 2027

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1923 by Ernest Augustus Anderson Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Denman, NSW - St Matthais Anglican

Denman, NSW - St Matthais Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 50 Palace Street, , Denman New South Wales, 2328

The name Denman was gazetted in 1855, named after Lord Denman, who was later to become the 5th Governor General of Australia in 1911-1914. Lieutenant William Ogilvie was the first European settler in 1825. The first settlement was known as Merton which was located on the opposite side of the Hunter River to the present-day Denman and was…

Read More