Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: New South Wales


Double Bay, NSW - St Columbia Uniting

Double Bay, NSW - St Columbia Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 53 Ocean Street, , Double Bay New South Wales, 2028

The foundation stone was laid by Reverend E Pollard B.A. B.D on 28 August 1960.

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Baptist

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Baptist

Address: 3 Macarthur Parade, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Herbert & Seaview Streets, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

A timber hall on the site of the present church where services where held (this hall was then divided up, part of which is now the Jennifer Russell Hall standing behind the Holy Trinity, 1886 church building. The first Holy Trinity Anglican Church was on the opposite side of the present day church and was dedicated by Bishop Barry on…

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - St Paul of the Cross Catholic

Dulwich Hill, NSW - St Paul of the Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: New Canterbury Road, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

In 1906 locals petitioned Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney, to have their own church in the area. Approval was given and a block of land was purchased on New Canterbury Road in 1907. The Foundation stone was laid in April 1907 by Cardinal Moran Archbishop of Sydney and the church was completed in 1908. Today this is the parish…

Read More

Dungog, NSW - Methodist

Dungog, NSW - Methodist

A Foundation stone was laid on 23 March 1910. No further information currently available. Contributions welcombed.

Read More

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 11 Stanmore Road, , Enmore New South Wales, 2042

In 1882 the land for the present site on Enmore Road was purchased. The Foundation Stone was laid on 4 March 1882. It took less than three months to complete the church building which was opened in 18 June 1882. The total cost was over £3,200. As with most churched, renovations were carried out over the years however exact dates are…

Read More

Eugowra, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Eugowra, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: Pye Street, , Eugowra New South Wales, 2806

Read More

Eugowra, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Eugowra, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: Bowler Street, , Eugowra New South Wales, 2806

Read More

Eugowra, NSW - Welsh Memorial Uniting

Eugowra, NSW - Welsh Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1912

Address: North Street, , Eugowra New South Wales, 2806

Formerly a Presbyterian Church the foundation stone was laid on 3 January 1912 Robert Kay Moderator. The church hall was erected in 1958.

Read More

Finley, NSW - Holy Trinitiy Anglican

Finley, NSW - Holy Trinitiy Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner Coree & Warrmatta Streets, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

Tenders were called by the Church of England for a brick building in March of 1925. The Finley Mail reported on 10 February that Mr Sheppard had been granted the contract to build the church. The Foundation stone was laid in 1925 by the Very Reverend Archdeacon Kitchen. The dedication service was held on Sunday 27 September at 3pm.…

Read More

Finley, NSW - Presbyterian

Finley, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1919

Address: Corner Denison & Wollamai Streets, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

The Foundation stone was laid by Mrs C McAlister 29 October 1919.

Read More

Finley, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Finley, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Denison & Riverina Highway, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

The opening and blessing of the current church took place in 1904. The building was enlarged in 1919.

Read More

Finley, NSW - Uniting

Finley, NSW - Uniting

Address: Corner Coree & Wollamai Streets, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

Read More

Forbes, NSW - Baptist

Forbes, NSW - Baptist

Address: 24 Attlee Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

Read More

Forbes, NSW - Salvation Army

Forbes, NSW - Salvation Army

Year Built: 1890

Address: 128 Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

A foundation stone attached to the church was laid on 3 July 1890 by Commissioner Coombs.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Forbes, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1862

Address: Harold Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

A wooden church was erected at the corner of Cross and Clear Streets in 1862 but was destroyed by a storm and replaced by another. St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was erected in 1877 at a cost of £1,300. Reverend Arthur Aspinall was the first resident Presbyterian clergyman in Forbes (1874-87) and he established the present church; the…

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St John's Anglican

Forbes, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1861

Address: Court Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The first church was a wooden structure built in 1861 in the northwest corner of the church grounds and cost £150.00. St John's Church of England at Forbes was designed by B Backhouse and constructed between 1874 and 1877. It was built on land donated by Josiah Strickland who also gave £500 to the church building fund. The original…

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The first services in the Forbes area were held at Bareenong. In 1931 it was canvassed to move services to Forbes. The first services were held in the CWA Hall. The foundation stone was laid on 5 August 1934 vy Pastor W Lehmann.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Forbes, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 13 Johnson Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

There were two church buildings erected before the current one. The first was located in Camp street and the second was in Harold Street. Of Gothic Revival style the church was erected in 1880. A sanctuary was added in 1905 and a gallery in 1923.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - Uniting

Forbes, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1906

Address: Brown Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The year 1863 and some say 1861, saw the birth of Methodism in Forbes. The first quarterly meeting on the 1 7th July 1863 was presided over by Rev. N' Fidler. The original church was a wooden building and was built to the east of the present church building and was then destroyed by a cyclone in October 1863.* Services were then held…

Read More

Galong, NSW - Uniting

Galong, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1922

Address: McMahon Street, , Galong New South Wales, 2585

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 April 1922 by Mrs G.A. Killick.

Read More

Ganmain, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Ganmain, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Address: 45 Langham Street, , Ganmain New South Wales, 2702

Read More

Ganmain, NSW - Uniting

Ganmain, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1911

Address: Corner Gresham & Langham Street, , Ganmain New South Wales, 2702

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 October 1911 by Richard Higman Esq.

Read More

Glebe, NSW - St Jame's Catholic

Glebe, NSW - St Jame's Catholic

Year Built: 1878

Address: 2 Woolley Street, , Glebe New South Wales, 2037

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 July 1877 by Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan. By 1 September 1878, the church of St James, built in the Venetian Gothic style of Pyrmont stone and New Zealand kauri pine and glowing with stained glass, marble, majolica painted tiles, was ready and formally opened.

Read More

Glebe, NSW - St John's Bishopthorp Anglican

Glebe, NSW - St John's Bishopthorp Anglican

Year Built: 1868

Address: Corner St Johns & Glebe Point Road, , Glebe New South Wales, 2037

Built of Sandstone in Norman Romanesque style the church was designed Edmund Blackett, and was opened in 1857. It was opened by Bishop Barker on 21 December 1870. The church was built in 1868-70 to the design of prominent architects Edmund Blacket and John Horbury Hunt, with the vestry and tower, both designed by Cyril Blacket,…

Read More

Goolgowi, NSW - St Giles Anglican

Goolgowi, NSW - St Giles Anglican

Address: Farrer Street, , Goolgowi New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Goolgowi, NSW - St John Vianney Catholic

Goolgowi, NSW - St John Vianney Catholic

Address: Stipa Street, , Goolgowi New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Goolgowi, NSW - Uniting

Goolgowi, NSW - Uniting

Address: Napier Street, , Goolgowi New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - Baptist

Goulburn, NSW - Baptist

Address: 164 Bourke Street, Goulburn, New South Wales, 2580

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Goulburn, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1924

Address: 25 Clifford Street, , New South Wales, 2580

By order of the Governor in 1839, 2 acres of land for a church, schoolhouse and manse were marked off in the area today bounded by Sloane, Bradley and Craig Streets,and on 21st June, 1839, the first stone of the church was laid. The architect was William Hume, and the cost was £685. After the failure of the first builder to fulfil his…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Peter & Paul's Catholic Cathedral

Goulburn, NSW - St Peter & Paul's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1843

Address: Bourke Street, Goulburn, New South Wales, 2580

The first Mass in the Goulburn District was celebrated by Father Therry in 1833 at Matt Healey's Inn (now called Riversdale). The Cathedral was built in two stages and was constructed around the original 1843 church (when the cathedral exterior was completed the old church was demolished and the materials were removed outside through…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Saviour's Anglican Cathedral

Goulburn, NSW - St Saviour's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1839

Address: 170 Bourke Street, , Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

This is the second of two churches built on this site. The first was erected in 1839. The Foundation stone for the current Cathedral was laid in 1874. The Cathedral was designed by the leading colonial Ecclesiastical Architect, Edmund Blackett. The Church is built of white sandstone and reflects the characteristics of a Victorian…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - Uniting

Goulburn, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: Goldsmith Street, , Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

The original chapel (a Methodist church) was erected in 1848. A new Church was given the go ahead in 1869 with plans provided by Mr Thomas Rowe. This new church was opened on 25 October 1871. The Church is of brick with cement render dressings. In 1891 an organ chamber was built into the northern wall to accommodate the piped Organ.

Read More

Greenthorpe, NSW - St James Anglican

Greenthorpe, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: Tyagong Road, , Greenethorpe New South Wales, 2809

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 June 1910 by the Bishop of Goulburn.

Read More

Greenthorpe, NSW - Uniting

Greenthorpe, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: Collon Street west, , Greenethorpe New South Wales, 2809

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid on 21 March 1928 by John Fisher.

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Grenfell, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1877

Address: Middle Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

The first church was a wooden structure built in 1867 and located at the corner of Forbes and Middle Street. By 1877 tenders were called for a new church and the foundation stone was laid on 24 May. A further foundation stone replaced the original one on 26 January 1878 and laid by Mr J.B. Wood. The architect was John Kirkpatrick. The…

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - Presbyterian

Grenfell, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1870

Address: Weddin Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

The Foundation stone was laid on 7th December 1870 by Miss Kilpatrick.

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - Salvation Army

Grenfell, NSW - Salvation Army

Address: 52 George Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: Weddin Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

As early as 1838 when Yass was established as the first Ecclesiastical district in the interior of Australia, the whole area from Yass to Melbourne was served by a solitary dedicated priest. The first of these was Fr Brennan followed in 1839 by Fr Lovatt and in 1847 by Fr Magennis. In July 1884 Grenfell and Gooloogong were cut off…

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - Uniting

Grenfell, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1927

Address: Camp Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

Several foundation stones are attached to the church. One being laid by S. C. Starr on 13 August 1927.

Read More