Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: New South Wales


Jugiong, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Jugiong, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1895

Address: Jugiong Road, Jugiong, New South Wales, 2726

In 1863 the first site selected for a church, school and Parsonage was section No 7 bounded by Larmar Renwick and Stapyton streets. This was dedicated on 16 July 1863 but was later revoked and rrserved for the preservation of graves. The Foundation stone was laid on 21 December 1872 by Mr H Howe Esq JP. A further Foundation stone was laid…

Read More

Jugiong, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Jugiong, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Address: Old Hume Highway, , Jugiong New South Wales, 2726

Read More

Junee, NSW - Baptist

Junee, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1939

Address: Corner Orr & Main Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 October 1939 by the Reverend W.H. Wingfield President of the Baptist Union of NSW.

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1903

Address: Corner Lisgar & Denison Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

Constructed of brick the foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1903 by Neil McCallum Esq.

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Junee, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1929

Address: Kitchener Street, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 March 1929 by the Right Reverend J.W. Dwyer Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1889

Address: 26 Denison Street, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Church was built of brick with a shingle roof in 1889 from designs by A Blackett son of E.T. Blackett. In 1911 the chancel and vestries were added and from time to time other improvements have been effected. The Church was licenced on 11/11/1889 by Bishop Thomas. It was consecrated on 29/11/1898 by Bishop Barlow. The east window is a…

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Paul's Uniting

Junee, NSW - St Paul's Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Dalley & Stewart Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The original foundation stone was laid on 2 August 1904 by P Boynton Esq. A subsequent foundation stone was laid on 17 December 1955 by Reverend W.J. Hobbin. Constructed as St Paul's Methodist Church in 1904 and this replaced the old wooden Church on the site. This structure was re-erected on the site behind the new church, facing…

Read More

Kempsey, NSW - Uniting

Kempsey, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1953

Address: 59 Tozer Street, , Kempsey New South Wales, 2440

Formerley a Methodist Church it was built in 1953, with the foundation stones laid by Frank O. Secomb and the Revd Wesley Tredinnick.

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Kingsford, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 25 Sturt Street, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - St Spyridon Greek Orthodox

Kingsford, NSW - St Spyridon Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1973

Address: 78 Gardeners Road, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

Daceyville was Crown land in the 1880's and was named Raggetty Flat. In January of 1913, the Government Housing Board asked Archbishop Kelly if the Catholic Church was interested in participating in a ballot for sites to erect religious buildings in the then named Dacey Garden Suburb. The Archbishop accepted the invitation and the…

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Kingsford, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 45 Sutherland Road, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

The Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1940 by the Most Reverend N. I. Gilroy D.D. Archbishop of Sydney.

Read More

Kingsgrove, NSW - Baptist

Kingsgrove, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1962

Address: 9 Shackel Avenue, , Kingsgrove New South Wales, 2208

Known today as Clempton Park Baptist church the Church was opened on 22 September 1962 by the President of the Baptist Union of Australia the Reverend G.H. Morling M.A.

Read More

Kingsgrove, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Kingsgrove, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Address: Morgan Street, , Kingsgrove New South Wales, 2208

The Church includes the Chinese Southwest Christian Church.

Read More

Kingsgrove, NSW - Uniting

Kingsgrove, NSW - Uniting

Address: Corner Moreton Avenue & Kingsgrove Road, , Kingsgrove New South Wales, 2208

Read More

Laguna, NSW - St Marks Anglican

Laguna, NSW - St Marks Anglican

Address: 3774 Great N Road, , Laguna New South Wales, 2325

A large, well-designed church, it features panelled reredos and wall tablets. Local cedar is much in evidence in the interior. The church was consecrated in 1884.

Read More

Lavington, NSW - Holy Spirit Catholic

Lavington, NSW - Holy Spirit Catholic

Address: 550 Prune Street, , Lavington New South Wales, 2641

Father Patrick O'Connell opened the doors of the church in Lavington with Mass in the old Scout's hall Mutsch Street on Sunday February 1 1970. This hall was used for Mass by Sacred heart Parish when it was in Buckingham Street. The Church was to be semi circular with a rising six segment roof, backed by a square tower. R & GF Zauner…

Read More

Lavington, NSW - Salvation Army

Lavington, NSW - Salvation Army

Address: 325 Union Road, , Lavington New South Wales, 2641

Early meetings of the Corps were held in the old Ballroom in Townsend Street. The Citadel was opened in June 1977 by Commissioner L Pindred, DC Major and Mrs E Maxwell and CO Captain and Mrs K Middleton.

Read More

Lavington, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Lavington, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Address: 402 Wagga Rd, , Lavington New South Wales, 2641

Reverand Peter Gunn of the Gaelic Church Melbourne first visited Albury and it was he who laid the foundations of the church. He had already visited and baptised at Kilmore, Seymour, Longwood, Benalla, Wangaratta and Albury. The first mention of the Albury - Lavington area was made St David's Kirk Chronicle September 1936 where it says…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Leeton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Cypress & Sycamore Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 September 1957 by the Right Reverend E.H. Vines Moderator of the General Assembly of NSW.

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Leeton, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1962

Address: Maiden Street, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

Built of brick the church was opened on 8 July 1962.

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Leeton, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: Wade Avenue, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

A brick church the design of which was by Architects S.J. O'Halloran. The builder was T.J. Ashton. The Foundation stone was laid on 1 May 1955 by the Most Reverend F.A. Henschke D.D.

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1973

Address: Corner Church & Oak Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The first Church was opened in 1915. Its foundation stone was laid in 1913 and was constructed of sun dired mud bricks. The Foundation stone of the next Church was laid on 3 March 1973 by the Right Reverend B.R. Hunter Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Leeton, NSW - Uniting

Leeton, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1937

Address: Church Street, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

A Mr J.R. Lee first entered Leeton in 1912 with the express intention of setting up a Methodist Church on the town. Undeterred by the prediction on his arrival "that there was no room in Leeton for Methodism," he went ahead with a building scheme. The Home Mission Department agreed to advance an interest-free loan for the building, but…

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - All Souls Anglican

Leichhardt, NSW - All Souls Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 126 Norton Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

On January 7th, 1882 the original All Souls' church was opened for worship. The building and the land together cost 800. The church was designed by the architectural firm founded by Edmund T. Blacket, the great Anglican Church architect of the nineteenth century. Designed in the early English gothic style and built in brick masonry…

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - Congregational

Leichhardt, NSW - Congregational

Year Built: 1891

Address: Corner Allen & Elswick Streets, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

The Church was established between 1880 1881. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 March 1891 by Harry C Kent Esq M.A.

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - St Columba's Catholic

Leichhardt, NSW - St Columba's Catholic

Address: 213 Elswick Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - Uniting

Leichhardt, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1905

Address: 3 Wetherill Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

Formerly a Methodist Hall the foundation stone was laid on 4 November 1905 by Mrs W.J. Jenner.

Read More

Marrar, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Marrar, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 5 Lime Street, , Marrar New South Wales, 2652

Early services were conducted in the waiting room of the Coolamon Railway Station and at Winchendon Vale in private homes. The church was officially opened and blessed by the Bishop, the Rt. Rev. Dr. Johm. Gallagher D.D. on 28th February, 1912.

Read More

Marrar, NSW - Uniting

Marrar, NSW - Uniting

Address: York Street, , Marrar New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - Baptist

Marrickville, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1887

Address: 107 Silver Street, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Church was founded in 1887 as an offshoot of Petersham Baptist Church, being formed into a recognised Baptist Church in July of that year. Initially the church met at Winkies' Hall in Illawarra Road, which was near or next to the tram depot. In 1889, the church moved to the building on the current site. This site was purchased…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - Church of Christ

Marrickville, NSW - Church of Christ

Address: 389 Illawarra Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - Roseby Memorial Uniting

Marrickville, NSW - Roseby Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1871

Address: 388 Illawarra Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Church was built between 1871 and 1890 and is named after Dr. Roseby MA, LLD FRAS, a notable Congregational preacher and scientist who was minister for 23 years from 1888. The foundation stone was laid n 1871. Built of Rockfaced sandstone with Gothic detailing, the pointed arches, butresses and strings are detailed with smooth cut…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Brigit's Catholic

Marrickville, NSW - St Brigit's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 153 Livingstone Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Passionists came to Australia in 1887 at the invitation of Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney. He separated the present parish of St. Brigid's from the parish of Newtown. They originally occupied a small house on the corner of Fletcher St and Petersham Rd. The foundation stone of the Church was laid in October 1887 in…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Marrickville, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Year Built: 1888

Address: 90 Petersham Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

A large Gothic Revival Church built around 1888 and designed by architects Spain & Cosh. Styled in the early English style constructed of red brick with stone, brick and terracotta detailing. The tall corner spire has two tiers of windows and is clad in interlocking zinc sheets. The hall, a simple rectangular building, incorporates the…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Nicholas Greek Orthodox

Marrickville, NSW - St Nicholas Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1965

Address: 203 Livingstone Street, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

Between 1961 and 1966, the original house on the land acquired was converted into a Church. The foundation Stone was laid on June 6th, 1965 by His Eminence Archbishop Ezekiel of Australia and New Zealand, with the Official Opening taking place on the 3rd October 1966 by His Grace Bishop Dionysios of Nazianzos. The church has a white…

Read More

Matong, NSW - Anglican

Matong, NSW - Anglican

Year Built: 1916

Address: Wood Street, , Matong New South Wales, 2652

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 October 1916 by the Bishop of Goulburn the Right Reverend John Gallagher.

Read More

Matong, NSW - Uniting

Matong, NSW - Uniting

Address: Devlin Street, , Matong New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Millers Point, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Millers Point, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1840

Address: 60 Lower Fort Street, , Millers Point New South Wales, 2000

The Garrison Church is a heritage-listed active Anglican church building located at Argyle Street in the inner city Sydney suburb of Millers Point. It was designed by Henry Ginn (1st stage), Edmund Blacket (2nd stage) and built from 1840 to 1846 by Edward Flood and George Patton. The church was constructed from locally quarried…

Read More

Moree, NSW - Grace Lutheran

Moree, NSW - Grace Lutheran

Address: 68 Jones Avenue , , Moree New South Wales, 24900

Read More

Mulwala, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Mulwala, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Address: 25 Melbourne Street, , Mulwala New South Wales, 2647

Read More