Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: New South Wales


Stockinbingal, NSW - St James Anglican

Stockinbingal, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Corner Britannia & Duadman Streets, , Stockinbingal New South Wales, 2725

The Church was opened in 1911. Prior to the building of St James, Anglicans worshipped in a small building situated on the Grogan Road and used by all denominations. The foundation stone for the building was laid on May 25, 1910 by the Bishop of Goulburn the Right Reverend C.C. Barlow and the opening date was March 15, 1911. The…

Read More

Surry Hills, NSW - Baptist

Surry Hills, NSW - Baptist

Address: Corner Buckingham & Belvoir Streets, , Surry Hills New South Wales, 2010

Read More

Surry Hills, NSW - St Michael's Anglican

Surry Hills, NSW - St Michael's Anglican

Address: 209 Albion Street, , Surry Hills New South Wales, 2010

Read More

Surry Hills, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Surry Hills, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Address: 235 Devonshire Street, , Surry Hills New South Wales, 2010

The Catholic Church and parish of St Peter’s Surry Hills was established in 1880. It arose out of the need to serve a very densely settled and highly Catholic Surry Hills, which had a strong Irish population. On the 19th of September 1880, Archbishop Vaughan laid the foundation stone.

Read More

Sutton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Sutton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: Camp Street, , Sutton New South Wales, 2620

The Foundation stone was laid in September 1925 by Reverend A.H. Champion.

Read More

sydney, NSW - Catholic test

sydney, NSW - Catholic test

Address: 1 kent street, Sydney, New South Wales, 2000

kjhkhkhkh hello

Read More

Sydney, NSW - Christ Church St Laurence Anglican

Sydney, NSW - Christ Church St Laurence Anglican

Year Built: 1838

Address: 812 George Street, Sydney, Sydney New South Wales, 2000

First service was held by William Grant Broughton in a brewery storeroom in Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills on 28 October 1838. The foundation stone was laid on 1 January 1840 and the partially completed building was consecrated on 10 September 1845. Architects included Henry Robinson followed by Edmund Blacket in the period 1844-1880…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - Lutheran

Sydney, NSW - Lutheran

Year Built: 1881

Address: 90 Goulburn Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2024

The foundation-stone of the first German Evangelical Lutheran church to be erected in Sydney, was laid in North Goulburn Street on Saturday last by Mrs. R Krauel, wife of the German Consul-General. Built in 1881. The design on the building was in accordance with designs prepared by Mr. T. Dixon Chater. It cost about £2,000 and was…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian

Sydney, NSW - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1824

Address: 44 Margaret Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000

The Church was founded in the 1820's by the Reverend John Dunmore Lang and is the oldest Presbyterian Church in Australia. The foundation stone for the original church was laid by Governor Brisbane on 1st July 1824. A stone church, with a plain tower, seating 1000 people, was opened on 16th July 1826. The actual cost was 3000 and it…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican Cathedral

Sydney, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican Cathedral

Address: Corner George & Bathurst Streets, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000

A small but pleasant Gothic Revival Cathedral in Sydney Freestone of late Colonial and early Victorian periods. Original portion of nave designed by Hume. Substantially completed under Blacket. Exterior has weathered to warm brown colour. Delicate Gothic windows, well proportioned towers and buttressing and a multiplicity of decorated…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - St Francic of Assisi Catholic (former)

Sydney, NSW - St Francic of Assisi Catholic (former)

Year Built: 1905

Address: Oxford Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000

Believed to be the church of St Frances Church of Haymarket, but not the current one. The building next door appears to have St Vincent de Paul Society sign on the wall (which would be linked with the Catholic church next door note the joining brick wall). People appear to be waiting to go into church, thus this would be a morning…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - St Jame's Anglican

Sydney, NSW - St Jame's Anglican

Year Built: 1819

Address: 173 King Street, Sydney, Sydney New South Wales, 2000

Of Georgian style the Church was constructed between 1819 and 1824 and is the oldest church building in the City. St James' is an example of the architectural work of the Macquarie period, completely designed and built by convict labour. The Foundation stone was laid by Governor Macquarie on 7 October 1819 on a site originally chosen…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Sydney, NSW - St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1869

Address: College Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000

William Wilkinson Wardell was commissioned by Archbishop Polding to design a new St Mary's following the fire of 1865 which ruined the original Cathedral. It was constructed of dressed local sandstone in the "Gothic Revival" style. There were to be two intermediate stages. A temporary wooden church was constructed, which was also…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Sydney, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Grosvenor Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000

Read More

Sydney, NSW - St Phillip's Anglican

Sydney, NSW - St Phillip's Anglican

Year Built: 1848

Address: 3 York Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2000

The original church was located in Lang Park across the road from the present church. No information available. The foundation stone of the current church was laid on 1 May 1848, by the Rector, Reverend William Cowper. In the Gothic Perpendicular style architectural style the church was designed by Edmund Blacket and cost £16,000. It…

Read More

Tangmangaroo, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Tangmangaroo, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: Lachlan Valley Highway, , Tangmangaroo New South Wales, 2582

The first church was built in 1889 and was replaced by a second in 1904.

Read More

Tarago, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Tarago, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Braidwood Road, , Tarago New South Wales, 2580

The Church was built in 1931.

Read More

Tarcutta, NSW - St Columbus Presbyterian

Tarcutta, NSW - St Columbus Presbyterian

Year Built: 1932

Address: Argent Street, Tarcutta, New South Wales, 2652

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 February 1932 by Mrs S.S. Whitehead.

Read More

Tarcutta, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Tarcutta, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Address: Centenary Avenue, Tarcutta, New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Tarcutta, NSW - St Mark's Mate Memorial Anglican

Tarcutta, NSW - St Mark's Mate Memorial Anglican

Year Built: 1902

As early as 8 January 1875 land was dedicated on the present site of St Mark's for an Anglican Church and Parsonage. The Church was consecrated on 15 November 1902. The name of the Church reflects a family who lived in the district who donated a £1,000 to the established of the church.

Read More

Temora, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Temora, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Address: Loftus Street, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

Read More

Temora, NSW - Baptist

Temora, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1909

Address: Corner Victoria & Baker Streets, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 June 1909 by Reverend A. J. Waldock.

Read More

Temora, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Temora, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: 111 Loftus Street, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

The first church was built in 1881and opened by the Right Reverend Dr Lanigan on 9 October 1881 The arrival of Fr. McDwyer from Young as Curate in early 1906, allowed Fr. Fallon to apply himself more readily to the mammoth task of organising the new (church) venture. "Plans for the church were prepared by Messrs Kempson & Conolly of…

Read More

Temora, NSW - Salvation Army

Temora, NSW - Salvation Army

Address: Corner Victoria & Baker Streets, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

Read More

Temora, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Temora, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1930

Address: DeBoos Street, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

The first church of 1881 was the current church hall. The Foundation stone was laid on 11 June 1930 by the Right Reverend C.A. White B.A. Moderator Presbyterian Church in NSW. The Presbyterian Hall was originally the church. It was built in 1881 and dedicated in 1882.

Read More

Temora, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Temora, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: Corner DeBoos & Loftus Streets, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

A Brick church consisitng of nave, chancel, vestry and tower-porch. Built in 1906 from the designs by Henry Laker, Shire Engineer at a cost of £2,000. It was licenced on 8/2/1907 and dedicated two days later. The pulpit is a memorial to Sergt Randal Watterson (Fleurbaix 18/7/1916). There is a window to the memorial of Sergt Thomas…

Read More

Temora, NSW - Trinity Lutheran

Temora, NSW - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1955

Address: Loftus Street, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 October 1955.

Read More

Temora, NSW - Uniting

Temora, NSW - Uniting

Address: Corner Doboos & Polaris Streets, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

Read More

Tocumwal, NSW - St Alban's Anglican

Tocumwal, NSW - St Alban's Anglican

Year Built: 1899

Address: Duff Street, , Tocumwal New South Wales, 2714

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Mrs H.E. Casey 19th October 1899".

Read More

Tocumwal, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Tocumwal, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Address: Charlotte Street, , Tocumwal New South Wales, 2717

A Foundation stone reads, " A.D. 4th May 1890".

Read More

Tocumwal, NSW - Uniting

Tocumwal, NSW - Uniting

Address: 71 Deniliquin Street, , Tocumwal New South Wales, 2714

Read More

Towrang, NSW - St John's Anglican (Former)

Towrang, NSW - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1928

Address: 492 Towrang Road, , Towrang New South Wales, 2580

Read More

Tumbarumba, NSW - All Saints Catholic

Tumbarumba, NSW - All Saints Catholic

Address: 40 Murray Street, , Tumbarumba New South Wales,

Read More

Uranquinty, NSW - St James Uniting

Uranquinty, NSW - St James Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 16 Yarragundry Street, , Uranquinty New South Wales, 2652

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 June 1960 by Mrs Thomas Rodham.

Read More

Uranquinty, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Uranquinty, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Morgan Street, , Uranquinty New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Baptist

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Baptist

Address: 131 Tarcutta Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Bethlehem Lutheran

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1972

Address: Athol Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

In 1969 the Bethlehem congregation was formed in Wagga on May 4, following the dissolving of the Our Redeemer (ELCA) and St Paul’s (UELCA) congregations. By 1973 the Bethlehem Lutheran Church was dedicated on Palm Sunday. The Foundation stone was laid on 8 October 1972 by Pastor R.K. Schmidt.

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Aidan's Presbyterian

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Aidan's Presbyterian

Address: Coleman Street South, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: Church Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was constructed in about 1890 and is designed in Victorian Academic Gothic style and is built of brick and sandstone. The Original Foundation stone was laid on 6 October 1869 by Sir Alfred Steven Chief Justice of New South Wales. The steep, gabled roof is clad with slate. St Andrew's has a landmark tower…

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St John's Evangelist Anglican

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St John's Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Church Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

Anglican Church services began in Wagga in 1839. In 1855 it became a separate Parish, and in 1858 it was decided to proceed with the construction of the first church. The Church of St John the Evangelist was commenced in 1859 on land granted to the church by the Colonial Government of NSW on Church Hill, a high point on the Murrumbidgee…

Read More