Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: New South Wales


Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Michael's Catholic Cathedral

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Michael's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1885

Address: Church Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

The Cathedral was built as St Michael's Parish Church in 1885-87. The Foundation stone was laid on 26 April 1885. The architects were Tappin, Gilbert & Dennehy, of Melbourne, and it was opened in 1887. The second stage followed in 1922-25, to the designs of architect W.J. Monks, at a cost of 34,894. When the Diocese of Wagga was formed…

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Wesley Uniting

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1948

Address: Corner Johnson & Tarcutta Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 August 1948 by Reverend R.D. Doust President of the Conference.

Read More

Walbundarie, NSW - St Stephen's Uniting

Walbundarie, NSW - St Stephen's Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Queen Street, , Walbundarie New South Wales,

Originally a Presbyterian church. The Foundation stone was laid by Jessie May Gibbons on 20 August 1957.

Read More

Walbundarie, NSW - The Good Sheppard Catholic

Walbundarie, NSW - The Good Sheppard Catholic

Address: Queens Street, , Walbundarie New South Wales,

Read More

Walla Walla, NSW - Zion Lutheran

Walla Walla, NSW - Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: 17 Commercial Street, , Walla Walla New South Wales, 2659

The original Lutheran church was built from white granite in 1872. The present Zion Lutheran Church was built in 1924 and it is the largest Lutheran Church in New South Wales, with seating for almost 600 people. The church is characterised by its stained glass windows and its massive pipe organ. A second church, built of sandstone…

Read More

Wallaroo, NSW - Uniting

Wallaroo, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: 1716 Barton Highway, , Wallaroo New South Wales, 2618

Built in 1882 the Church has an L-shape with extending vestry. The hall was erected in 1928 and extended in 1960. The Foundation stone for the hall was laid by Mr Samuel Southwell on 13 June. The granite memorial wall was constructed in the foreground of the church to hold memorial plaques. The granite memorial gates were erected in…

Read More

Wallenbeen, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Wallenbeen, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Address: Mackay Street, , Wallenbeen New South Wales,

Read More

Waterloo, NSW - Congregational

Waterloo, NSW - Congregational

Year Built: 1865

Address: 103 Botany Road, , Waterloo New South Wales, 2017

The church was established in 1858 and the currrent building was erected in 1884.

Read More

Waverley, NSW - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Waverley, NSW - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: 45 Victoria Street, , Waverley New South Wales, 2024

Constructed between 1890 and 1915 the cathedral is of the Classical Revival style with a faade to lower part of building. Clerestorey level, with its two imposing bell towers, appears to be in a different style. Entrance formed by large, pedimented portico with four, imposing Ionic columns. Ionic pilasters continue around to the sides.…

Read More

Waverley, NSW - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Waverley, NSW - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: 240 Birrell Street, , Waverley New South Wales, 2022

Built in 1890 this church was one of Edmund Blacket's earlier churches. Built by W Bailey its stone church in Ecclesiastical Gothic style. It boasts a long nave with chancel, vestry and two side porches. Dressed sandstone with concrete tiled roof (originally shingled). Paired lancet windows between buttresses. Stained glass with label…

Read More

Weethalle, NSW - Presbyterian

Weethalle, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: Mid West Highway, , Weethalle New South Wales, 2669

Read More

Weethalle, NSW - St Christopher's Anglican

Weethalle, NSW - St Christopher's Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: Mid West Highway, , Weethalle New South Wales, 2669

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 July 1954 by the Bishop of Riverina.

Read More

Weethalle, NSW - St Luke's Catholic

Weethalle, NSW - St Luke's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Built of brick and timber the Foundation stone was laid on 2 December 1956 by the Bishop of Riverina.

Read More

Wentworthville, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Wentworthville, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1923

Address: 7 McKern Street, , Wentworthville New South Wales , 2145

The Church was originally located in Parramatta, but by the 1920s it was too small to accommodate Parramatta’s growing congregation. In 1925, after the new church was built, demolition work began on the old church. It was believed that the old church would be completley demolished, until Presbyterians in Wentworthville, in need of a…

Read More

West Pymble, NSW - St Matthews Anglican

West Pymble, NSW - St Matthews Anglican

Address: 2 Eppleston Place, , West Pymble New South Wales, 2073

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - Lutheran

West Wyalong, NSW - Lutheran

Year Built: 1968

Address: 15 Park Street, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 September 1968 by Reverend N.C. Sander.

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - Pioneer Memorial Presbyterian

West Wyalong, NSW - Pioneer Memorial Presbyterian

Address: 23 Court Street, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

West Wyalong, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: Corner England & Court Streets, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

West Wyalong, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 47 Church Street, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

Read More

Whitton, NSW - St Carthages Catholic
Whitton, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Whitton, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Melbergin Street, , Whitton New South Wales, 2705

The Church was first established in 1885 and the current church was built around 1890 to 1891.

Read More

Windsor, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Windsor, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: 1 Moses Street, , Windsor New South Wales, 2756

A Georgian Church, constructed entirely by convict labour using sandstock bricks and sandstone. Governor Lachlan Macquarie invited Francis Howard Greenway to draw up plans for a permanent church however the contract was awarded to Henry Kitchen, architect and builder. William Cox - who had been commissioned in the New South Wales…

Read More

Wollombi, NSW - St Johns Anglican

Wollombi, NSW - St Johns Anglican

Address: 2985 Paynes Crossing Road, , Wollombi New South Wales, 2325

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 July 1846 by Rev R.T. Bolton. The church was consecrated on 15 February 1849 by the Right Reverend William Tyrell first Lord Bishop of Newcastle. The Architect was Thomas Blackett. The church was constructed in sandstone in the Gothic tradition. The main body of the church was lengthened by 20 feet…

Read More

Wollombi, NSW - St Michael the Archangel Catholic

Wollombi, NSW - St Michael the Archangel Catholic

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 September 1840 by the Reverend John Polding. From 1843 services were held in the Gothic-style church, built of locally quarried sandstone.Erected beside Wollombi Brook, the church suffered damage in the 1893 flood and was moved to higher ground in Maitland Road, where it remains. In October of that year…

Read More

Woollahra, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Woollahra, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1876

Address: 85 Ocean Street, Woollahra, New South Wales, 2025

Architect was Edmund Blacket and construction took place between 1876 and 1882. The Church was mainly paid for by Henry Mort, the brother of Thomas Sutcliffe Mort, as a thanksgiving for the rescue of his wife and child from shipwreak in 1865; as a memorial to his wife, Maria, who died in 1873; and as a church for his clergyman son.…

Read More

Woomargama, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Woomargama, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1888

Address: Hume Highway, , Woomargama New South Wales, 2644

The Church was built in 1888 and opened on 13 May 1888. The porch and belfry were added between 1924 and 1925.

Read More

Wyalong, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Wyalong, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1918

Address: Corner Gilbert & Slee Streets, , Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

The Foundation stone was laid on 8 September 1918 by the Archdeacon Howell.

Read More

Wyong Creek, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Wyong Creek, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: Yarramalong Road, , Wyong Creek New South Wales, 2259

Services at the Church were conducted at St Barnabas for 92 years before the congregation moved to Wyong in 1977. It is estimated that the structure was erected in 1885 and was constructed through voluntary community effort. Recognising its historical importance, Wyong Shire Council acquired the site in 1978 and in 1982 the Heritage…

Read More

Wyong, NSW - Baptist

Wyong, NSW - Baptist

Address: Alison Road, , Wyong New South Wales, 2259

Read More

Wyong, NSW - St Cecilia's Catholic

Wyong, NSW - St Cecilia's Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: 23 Byron Street, , Wyong New South Wales, 2259

The original intention was to build a church on Alison Road in Wyong close to the Old Court House however in 1904 a local resident by the name of Albert Warner purchased the land where the church is today. He donated the land to the church. The Church cost £861 to erect. The foundation stone says it was laid by Cardinal Moran on 6…

Read More

Wyong, NSW - St James Anglican

Wyong, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 2000

Address: 25 Byron Street, , Wyong New South Wales, 2259

A mention of the church was made in the Gosford Times in January 1915 that the ouside and roof of the church was to be painted by a Mr Albert Warner as a gift. The original church was destroyed by fire in 1994 and a new church was erected four years later. The Church celebrated its centenary in 2006.

Read More

Yanco, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Yanco, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1911

Address: Main Street, , Yanco New South Wales, 2703

The first services were held in 1911 and were carried out in the workshop at North Yanko Station, which is where part of Yanco Agricultural High School is situated, and Mr Wade's house. In later years, masses were held at Yanco Hall also known at the time as the School of Arts. Bishop Dwyer of Wagga Wagga consecrated the current St…

Read More

Yass, NSW - St Andrews Uniting

Yass, NSW - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1906

Address: 124 Meehan Street, , Yass New South Wales, 2582

The foundation stone of the current St. Andrews Church was laid on the 17th January 1906 by Alexander McBean of Springmount, a grandson of the first Alexander McBean, the founder of the family in the district. The architects were Messrs. Nixon and Adam. The church was built by Mr. Hastings from Tumut and is of Gothic design, built of…

Read More

Yass, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Yass, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Address: 105 Meehan Street, , Yass New South Wales, 2582

Read More

Yass, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Yass, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Address: Church Street, , Yass New South Wales, 2582

Read More

Yerong Creek, NSW - Trinitiy Presbyterian

Yerong Creek, NSW - Trinitiy Presbyterian

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner Cox & Cole Street, , Yerong Creek New South Wales, 2642

A Foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1959 by Mrs Neil Paton.

Read More

Young, NSW - Baptist

Young, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1965

Address: 76 Nasmyth Street, , Young New South Wales, 2594

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 June 1965 by N.A. Wales President of the Baptist Union on NSW.

Read More

Young, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Young, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1913

Address: Cloete Street, , Young New South Wales, 2594

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 November 1913 by G.S. Whiteman esq. The west wing foundation stone was laid on 23 February 1927 by the Lord Bishop of London Dr AS.F. Winnington Ingram.

Read More

Young, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Young, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: Cambell Street, , Young New South Wales, 2594

In late 1860 to early 1861 a working bee of Catholic diggers erected a temporary wooden church with bark roof which was known as The Bark Chapel. By 1874 a new building was commenced and was blessed in 1876 by Bishop Lanigan. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 26 May 1907, and was blessed Rev. Dr. Gallagher. The…

Read More

Young, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Young, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1920

Address: Corner Lynch & Lovell Streets, , Young New South Wales, 2594

Built of local stone. The foundation stone was laid on 28 April 1920 by Right Reverend G.A. Cordon B.A Moderator of the Assembly.

Read More