Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia, Denomination: Lutheran


Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: 170 Flinders Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5011

The beginnings of the Church can be traced to 1860 when about six families withdrew membership from Pastor Borgelt's Klemzig congregation on scriptural and confessional grounds. With several families who had been members of the Trinity congregation, as well as a number of others who were not affiliated with any group, they formed the…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Year Built: 1848

Address: 152 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The original congregation of this church was formed in Klemzig in 1848. They remained there iuntil 1862 when their first church was built in Pirie Street. The congregation increased again in size and it was at this point St Stephen's was built. Designed by Architects Williams and Good the church is of Gothic Revival style. The Church…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran

Angaston, SA - Zion Lutheran

Year Built: 1861

Address: 85 Murray Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Church was originally built for joint use however by 1861 there was a divide and only the Baptists kept using it until 1929. For the next 12 years it was used by building contractor G.N. Dallwitz. A Lutheran Church had been built in Hill street but when that was destroyed by fire in 1941 Dallwitz offered this building to the…

Read More

Auburn, SA - St John's Lutheran

Auburn, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: Curling Street, , Auburn South Australia, 5451

The Church was formerly a primitive Methodist church. Made of stone with bluestone quoins and dressings it was built by Joseph Meller in 1869 on part of an Aboriginal corroboree ground. After church union it was used as a Sunday school then sold in 1889 to the Orange Lodge a protestant group of Irish background. Purchased in 1927 by…

Read More

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: Bethany Road, , Bethany South Australia, 5352

The Church was built in 1883. The design is of simple rectangular plan with gable roof, smaller gabled annex to rear, square tower at front with tall pointed spire, rendered features on facades create a strong outline for the building. Construction - coursed rubble walls, rendered corner strips and windows indicate a reasonably…

Read More

Birdwood, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Birdwood, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: 1 Church Street, , Birdwood South Australia, 2446

The town of Birdwood, formerly Blumberg,' was founded in January 1848 after the first settlers of Blumberg arrived from Hamburg, Germany in December of 1847. The first worship services of the congregation were held in the home of one of the elders of the congregation until his death in 1850. A small church was then built about 1.5km…

Read More

Blanchtown, SA - Advent Lutheran

Blanchtown, SA - Advent Lutheran

Year Built: 1903

Address: Paisley Road, , Blanchtown South Australia, 5357

The first Lutheran pastor was Pastor Peter Bonifacuis Hoefner, who lived on the East side of the Paisley river and conducted services at his home from 1896 to 1901. In 1901 Pastor Hoefner moved from the Blanchetown district to Queensland. The congregation then joined the Stonefield Parish whose pastor was Pastor J. P. Lohe. On February…

Read More

Blyth, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Blyth, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1970

Address: South Terrace, , Blyth South Australia, 5462

The Foundation stone was laid in 1970.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Smith & Patterson Streets, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

The beginnings of the church fall to the Hausler family who moved into the district in 1930. With no Lutheran church to speak of they encouraged the Victorian district of the UELCA to conduct services on a regular basis. Pastor E Sprengel of Mt Gambier conducted the first three services in the Hauser home which was located about 8 miles…

Read More

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1890

Address: 8461 Thiele Highway, , Bower South Australia, 5374

The land on which the church is located was once owned by Mr F. W. Kaeding. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1890 by Pastor J. Hansen and it was finished by 1899 when a dedication service was held on 24 September. The Sunday School was opened in 1919. The church is 45 feet x 25 feet and cost approximately 120.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 15 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid in 1961. Extensions to the church were made in 2002.

Read More

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: Corner Marne & Skinner Streets, , Cambrai South Australia, 5353

The original church was built of stone in 1904. The separate hall was erected in 1963.

Read More

Clare, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Clare, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1947

Address: 5 Sabine Street, , Clare South Australia, 5453

On January 1, 1947 members of the UECLA living in the Clare district met in the home of Mr W.B. Wundke to discuss the formation of a Lutheran Church in Clare A building committee was formed in 1948 and plans for the church were already prepared by August of that year. The first sod was turned on 31 May 1951 with the Foundation stone being…

Read More

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1876

The Church was established in 1876. A hall beside the church was erected in 1952 and opened and dedicated on February 8 1953 by Pastor L.H. Leskie.

Read More

Coonalpyn, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Coonalpyn, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1929

Address: Dent Street, , Coonalpyn South Australia, 5265

The first Lutheran's to arrive in this district were in 1929. The first services were held in the old Institute on the west side of the railway line. Moves were made in 1946 and by May 1952 construction had begun. The Builders of the church were Mr Kevin Rohrlach and Mr Peter White. Built of limestone which came from Mr Zanker's and Mr…

Read More

Crystal Brook, SA - St John's Lutheran

Crystal Brook, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Stanley Street, , Crystal Brook South Australia, 5523

The first know existence of Lutheran's in this area forming a church was recorded in February 1881 when several families met for a service in the home of A.F. Noll. For the next 17 years all services were held there. By 1897 the room in the Noll home could not hold all the congregation so it was decided a church was needed. The foundation…

Read More

Elizabeth, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Elizabeth, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1965

Address: 521 Main North Road, , Elizabeth South Australia, 5112

The Foundation stone was laid on 5 December 1965. The Hall foundation stone was laid on 8 June 1975.

Read More

Enfield, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Enfield, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 44 Audrey Avenue, , Enfield South Australia, 5085

Read More

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1979

Address: Corner Hanna & Kapunda Streets, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

A congregation was formed at Emmaus in 1870 by Pastor E.D. Appelt of the Nain-Gnadenberg Parish. The first service was held in the home of Mr. C. Ziersch. A church was built in 1872 at Emmaus during the ministry of Pastor R. Ey and an adjoining school was also built. Eudunda, which had originated with a wine store on busy cross roads…

Read More

Forster, SA - St John's Lutheran

Forster, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: 5146 Angus Valley Road, , Forster South Australia, 5238

Read More

Frances, SA - Lutheran

Frances, SA - Lutheran

The furniture for the church came from the Congregation at Robertstown as the first German settlers to Frances were the Pfitzner family from the Robertstown district.

Read More

Gawler, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Gawler, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Corner Second & Seventh Streets, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The first church was erected in 1863. The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 18 September 1962 and the building was dedicated on 12 May 1963.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Year Built: 1967

Address: Partridge Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1967 by Rev Thomas Horgan P.A. The Lutheran's share this Catholic Church for services.

Read More

Greenacres, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Greenacres, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Address: Mullers Road, , Greenacres South Australia, 5086

Read More

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1897

Address: Frederick Street, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

The first meeting was held on 31 March 1897 to consider forming a congregation. The first services were held in the Daveyston School from 1897 to 1898 and then in the Wesleyan Church on a monthly basis. By 1899 land was purchased and tenders were called to build a church. The tender of Mr E Graetz of Keyneton was accepted. The cost of the…

Read More

Hahndorf, SA - St Michael's Lutheran

Hahndorf, SA - St Michael's Lutheran

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Balhannah Road & Church Street, , Hahndorf South Australia, 5245

The first Church was a mud-wall building of 1840. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid in 1858. The Church was founded by Prussian Lutheran dissenters, the church still services the oldest existing Lutheran congregation in Australia.

Read More

Hahndorf, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Hahndorf, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1859

Address: 10 Main Street, , Hahndorf South Australia, 5245

In 1838 a ship called the "Prince George" sailing from Tschichnrzig, not far from Zueaichau, between Brandenburg and Siiesia (Schleswig) in Germany, and berthed at Plymouth Sound, England, on its way to Australia. Here a pastor August Kavel joined the ship. It was this Pastor who was the founder of the congregation of St. Paul's,…

Read More

Hallett Cove, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Hallett Cove, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Address: 20 Ragamuffin Drive, , Hallett Cove South Australia, 5158

Read More

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Ewing Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The first service was held in the home of Mr F Fiedler and conducted by Pastor J Sabel in 1933. Later that year a congregation was formed. Services were moved to the Protestant Hall in 1945. This hall was later purchased renovated and dedicated on 23 September 1956. This building was not sufficient and it was decided in 1959 a proposal…

Read More

Kapunda, SA - St John's (Trinity) Lutheran

Kapunda, SA - St John's (Trinity) Lutheran

Address: South Terrace, , Kapunda South Australia, 5373

Regular services commenced as early as 1880 at Bagot Well, mainly in the homes of various members including those of J.H. Schultz and Mr and Mrs Rudolf Hoffmann. In 1900, Pastor J. J. Stolz came to Light Pass and the services at Bagot Well ceased. In 1905, members of Immanuel Synod settled near Kapunda, and desired a church of their…

Read More

Keith, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Keith, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Poplar Street, , Keith South Australia, 5267

The first Lutheran's recorded in the Keith area were that of J August Rohde's family in 1888. Between then and 1948 a visiting Pastor conducted services in the Keith area. Between then and the close of the Second World War there is no records of Lutheran activities in the Keith area. The first substantive service was held on 15 August…

Read More

Keyneton, SA - Lutheran

Keyneton, SA - Lutheran

Address: 801 Keyneton Road , , Keyneton South Australia, 5353

Read More

Kingston SE, SA - St John's Lutheran

Kingston SE, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Cameron Street, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 October 1963 by Rev K.E. Thamm.

Read More

Largs Bay, SA - St Peter's Lutheran
Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Laura, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1880

Address: Main Street, , Laura South Australia, 5480

The Lutheran's of Laura first attended church at Appila. By the early 1880's several more Lutheran families had moved into Laura and this prompted Pastor Kaibel of Appila to conduct services there. By 1891 there were 19 communicant members at Laura and by 1903 the Laura families severed their ties with the Appila congregation. Services…

Read More

Leigh Creek, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran
Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1886

Address: Immanuel Way, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

The first church was opened and dedicated on 29 November 1886. The tower was erected in 1930. The Church hall was opened in 1949.

Read More

Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Straight Gate Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: Light Pass Road, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

This church was formed by a breakaway group in 1860 from the Immanuel Light Pass Lutheran Church. This church is just 200m from the Immanuel Church. Their first church was dedicated in 1861. A new church replaced the original church and the foundation stone of that church was laid on 14 August 1960. The Tower was erected in 1887 and…

Read More

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1925

Address: 1B Falcon Ave,, , Loxton South Australia, 5031

The Church was first set up in 1897 by E.J.P. Kaesler before the town of Loxton was formally planned. It originally met for worship in the houses of John Drabsch of Loxton and A Stanitzki of Bookpurnong. In 1904, a stone church measuring 40ft x 20ft x 14ft (12.2m x 6.1m x 4.27m) at a cost of 180.00 having a seating capacity of 150 was…

Read More

Lyndoch, SA - St Jacob's Lutheran

Lyndoch, SA - St Jacob's Lutheran

Year Built: 1913

Address: Lyndoch Valley Road, , Lyndoch South Australia, 5351

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 September 1913 by Pastor E Beorg. This complex consists of two church buildings, the early one was constructed for the Baptists in 1859 and purchased by the Lutherans in 1867 when they moved from Hoffnungstahl. This was used as a church and school until 1913 when the adjacent church was built.…

Read More