Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: South Australia


Blyth, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Blyth, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1970

Address: South Terrace, , Blyth South Australia, 5462

The first church was built in 1909. The Church foundation stone was laid on 20th September 1970 by Rev P A Scherer, architects Drogemuller & Pudney, opened 21 Feb 1971. Former St Petri bell in bell tower. First Trinity Lutheran in district opened 1881 in former Wesleyan chapel.

Read More

Blyth, SA- St Peter's Lutheran

Blyth, SA- St Peter's Lutheran

This Church is a separate church from the Trinity Lutheran Church in Blyth. A bell was presented to the church by the German Emperor in 1929.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Church of Christ

Bordertown, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1965

Address: West Terrace, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

The church was erected in 1965.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: McLeod Street, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Mary's Catholic

Bordertown, SA - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: Victoria Parade, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 February 1969 by the Archbishop of Adelaide the most Reverend J.W. Gleeson D.D.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Paul's Lutheran
Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Smith & Patterson Streets, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

The beginnings of the church fall to the Hausler family who moved into the district in 1930. With no Lutheran church to speak of they encouraged the Victorian district of the UELCA to conduct services on a regular basis. Pastor E Sprengel of Mt Gambier conducted the first three services in the Hauser home which was located about 8 miles…

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Uniting

Bordertown, SA - Uniting

Address: Corner Decourcey & McLeod Streets, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

Read More

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1890

Address: 8461 Thiele Highway, , Bower South Australia, 5374

The land on which the church is located was once owned by Mr F. W. Kaeding. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1890 by Pastor J. Hansen and it was finished by 1899 when a dedication service was held on 24 September. The Sunday School was opened in 1919. The church is 45 feet x 25 feet and cost approximately 120.

Read More

Brahma Lodge, SA - Baptist

Brahma Lodge, SA - Baptist

Address: Corner Park Terrace & Cheam Street, , Brahma Lodge South Australia, 5109

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Address: Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 15 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid in 1961. Extensions to the church were made in 2002.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 1 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 March 1966 by the most Reverend J.W. Gleeson C.M.G. Co Adjutor Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 407 Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Originally a Methodist Church. The foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1929 by Miss Carvosso.

Read More

Brighton, SA - Church of Christ

Brighton, SA - Church of Christ

Address: 65 Sturt Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Read More

Brighton, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Brighton, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1964

Address: Strathmore Terrace, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1964 by the Right Reverend W.J. Russell V.G. Vojtěch (Voitre) Marek was responsible for the copper figurines on the Church wall . He was born in Dolní Oldřichov in Czechoslovakia, now the Czech Republic, in 1919 and came to Australia in 1948. From 1962 to 1975, he worked full-time on…

Read More

Brighton, SA - St Jude's Anglican

Brighton, SA - St Jude's Anglican

Address: 443 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Read More

Brighton, SA - Uniting

Brighton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1864

Address: 442 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Built as a Methodist Church, the foundation stone was laid on the 1st of May, 1864. It was the for runner of the first church built in Sturt Road in 1847. The first members of the church met in private homes on Sturt Road. As a rural community the first service was held in the 1840's in a dugout with an upturned boat serving as a roof.…

Read More

Burnside, SA - Protestant

Burnside, SA - Protestant

Address: 88 Lockwood Road, , Burnside South Australia, 5066

Read More

Burnside, SA - St David's Uniting

Burnside, SA - St David's Uniting

Address: 492 Glynburn Road, , Burnside South Australia, 5066

A foundation stone was laid on 9 September 1962 by the Bishop of Adelaide C.W. Muceke.

Read More

Burra, SA - Redruth Methodist (former)

Burra, SA - Redruth Methodist (former)

Year Built: 1874

Address: Ludgvan Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

Redruth first appeared in the quarterly minute book on 24 June 1851. No members are listed and the income was 5/4. Three months later there were 4 members and the circuit income was 1-6-6. In February 1851 the Kooringa trustees had begun to build a church opposite the police station and 1-17-10 was collected at the laying of the corner…

Read More

Burra, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Burra, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1873 - 1874

Address: 7 Market Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 May 1873 by Fr Christopher Reynolds and the Church was opened on 8th November 1874.

Read More

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 8 Market Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

The original church of St Mary’s was located at the junction of Ware and Church Streets in 1849. The land for the present church was donated by the South Australian Mining Association. It was built in the Gothic style and by the local firm of Sara & Dunstan to the design by G.F. McLagan, who came to live in Kooringa from Melbourne. The…

Read More

Bute, SA - Uniting

Bute, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1902

Address: Corner First & Third Streets, , Bute South Australia, 5560

A Foundation stone was laid on 27 August 1902 by P Jackson Esq J.P. There is another on the corner of the building that is dated 1894. The church was opened on 16th November 1902 and replaced an earlier timber framed iron building opened on 15/11/1885. Prior to the erection of this building, Primitive Methodist services had begun about…

Read More

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: Corner Marne & Skinner Streets, , Cambrai South Australia, 5353

The original church was built of stone in 1904. The separate hall was erected in 1963.

Read More

Clare, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Clare, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1852

Address: 25 Farrell Flat Road, , Clare South Australia, 5453

Built in 1851, in simple Gothic Revival design, St Barnabas was the outcome of much active lobbying by the founder of Clare, E. B. Gleeson, and other local people of influence. It is one of the earliest surviving rural Anglican churches of its type and reflects the religious aspirations of settlers at the time. Land was granted for a…

Read More

Clare, SA - St Michael's Catholic

Clare, SA - St Michael's Catholic

Address: Victoria Road, , Clare South Australia, 5453

Read More

Clare, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Clare, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1947

Address: 5 Sabine Street, , Clare South Australia, 5453

On January 1, 1947 members of the UECLA living in the Clare district met in the home of Mr W.B. Wundke to discuss the formation of a Lutheran Church in Clare A building committee was formed in 1948 and plans for the church were already prepared by August of that year. The first sod was turned on 31 May 1951 with the Foundation stone being…

Read More

Clare, SA - Uniting

Clare, SA - Uniting

Address: Victoria Road, , Clare South Australia, 5453

The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1857 and listed by State Heritage. The chapel is located next to the Methodist Church which was opened in 1867. In recent times the two churches have been joined. The Foundation stone was laid on 22nd July 1866 and opened on 17th March 1867.

Read More

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Anthony's of Padua Catholic

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Anthony's of Padua Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: Castle Street, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 May 1959 by the Most Reverend M. Beovich D.D. Phd.

Read More

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Francis of Assisi Anglican

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Francis of Assisi Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Dinwoodie Avenue, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 February 1964 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed.

Read More

Clarence Park, SA - Church of the Trinity Uniting

Clarence Park, SA - Church of the Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 318 Goodwood Road, , Clarence Park South Australia, 5034

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1925 by Mrs Andrew Linn. The Architect was Hurbert Henry Cowell.

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - All Saints' Anglican

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - All Saints' Anglican

Address: Bedford Square, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Church of Christ

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1964 - 1965

Address: 539 Goodwood Road, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

The Church of Christ was built in 1965-1966 on the site of an earlier 1920s Colonel Light Gardens Church of Christ chapel. A galvanised iron Independent Order of Rechabites Hall (c.1925) and tennis courts also previously stood on the site. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 November 1964.

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - St Therese's Catholic

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - St Therese's Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: 3 Oxford Circus, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 August 1962 by the Most Reverend M Beovich D.D. PhD Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Uniting

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 560 Goodwood Road, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

The land was bought for $1,211.00 (£25.00) and other than the names of the trustees, little is known of the first seventy five years. The old Church was built in 1854, and is one of the oldest suburban Churches in the State. When the section of ground opposite was purchased by the Government and sub divided into residential blocks and…

Read More

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1876

The Church was established in 1876. A hall beside the church was erected in 1952 and opened and dedicated on February 8 1953 by Pastor L.H. Leskie.

Read More

Coonalpyn, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Coonalpyn, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1929

Address: Dent Street, , Coonalpyn South Australia, 5265

The first Lutheran's to arrive in this district were in 1929. The first services were held in the old Institute on the west side of the railway line. Moves were made in 1946 and by May 1952 construction had begun. The Builders of the church were Mr Kevin Rohrlach and Mr Peter White. Built of limestone which came from Mr Zanker's and Mr…

Read More

Coonalpyn, SA - Uniting

Coonalpyn, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1921

Address: Western Highway, , Coonalpyn South Australia, 5265

Formerly a Congregational church the foundation stone was laid on 21 February 1921 by the Mr G.E. Venning.

Read More

Crafers, SA - Church of the Epiphany Anglican

Crafers, SA - Church of the Epiphany Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Epiphany Place, , Crafers South Australia, 5152

The Church was built in 1878 on land donated by Henry Scott. It has a splendid music tradition, a lively choir and one of the finest pipe-organs in South Australia. Two Foundation stones on the northern wall commemorate the extensions, 11.11.1893, laid by Mrs Henry Scott (nee Emily Gooch), wife of Mr Scott M.P. of Goode How (later…

Read More