Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: Tasmania


Aberdeen, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Aberdeen, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Address: 160 Melrose Road, , Aberdeen Tasmania, 7310

The foundation stone was laid on the 2nd July 1914 by Mrs John Denney relict of Mr John Denney who was one of the Pioneer Metodists of the North West Coast. Today the church is in private hands and called Aberdeen Abbey.

Read More

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 1404 Lower Marshes Road, , Apsley Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Aspley, TAS - St Bartholomew's Anglican

Aspley, TAS - St Bartholomew's Anglican

Address: 316 Lower Marshes Road, , Aspley Tasmania,

Read More

Avoca, TAS - St Thomas Anglican

Avoca, TAS - St Thomas Anglican

Year Built: 1842

Address: 7 Falmouth Street, , Avoca Tasmania, 7213

The booklet in part reads, On November 1st 1838 a meeting (notified in the Hobart town Gazette) was called to consider the erection of a church at Avoca.The meetings chairman was Capt. A Gardiner S•P•M. Out of this meeting, a building committee was formed, and three men stood as guarantors for the cost: Simeon Lord the Younger and…

Read More

Baden, TAS - Unknown

Baden, TAS - Unknown

Address: Woodsdale Road, , Baden Tasmania, 7120

Read More

Bagdad, TAS - St Michael and all Angels Anglican

Bagdad, TAS - St Michael and all Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1903

Address: Midland Highway, , Bagdad Tasmania, 7030

The Church was first called St Thomas'. Services were held in the public hall but in 1897 there were plans to build a church. The Foundation stone was laid in November 1903 and the building dedicated in April 1094. In July 1919 the foundation stone of the Chancel was laid.

Read More

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 48 Barrington Road, , Barrington Tasmania,

Barrington is regarded as the birthplace of Methodism in the Sheffield district. The first settlers were led by John and Charles Coleman and were later joined by Alexander Smith, John Harmon, Benjamin Green, John Reeves, Charles Packett and William Smith, all members of the Methodist Church.

Read More

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1847

Address: 30 Cromwell Street, Hobart, Battery Point Tasmania, 7004

Located on the highest point of Battery Point, once known as Kermode's Hill the Church was designed by two of Hobart's earliest and best known architects. The land was in fact purchased from William Kermode for 250.00. It was designed in the Neo-Classical style by the Government architect, John Lee Archer, designing the body of the…

Read More

Beaconsfield, TAS - St Francis Xaviers Catholic

Beaconsfield, TAS - St Francis Xaviers Catholic

Address: 188 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1909

Address: 125 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

Gold mining attracted many Methodist Cornishmen to settle in this district. In 1861 services were held at Supply River with preachers provided from Launceston. In 1878 the Primitive Methodists came to Beaconsfield and by 1880 the Rev C.R. Rice took up ministry there as part of the Launceston Mission. By 1891 Beaconsfield was created a…

Read More

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 23 Clarence Street, , Bellerive Tasmania, 7018

(Known firslty as Kangaroo Point) St. Mark's was formerly Clarence). In 1826 there was a small Chapel of Ease at Clarence Plains, one of the only five churches in Tasmania. In June 1852 S. Mark's Chapel, Kangaroo Point was consecrated. This building still stands and in 1932 it was restored by Toc H. to be used by scouts and guides. In…

Read More

Blackmans Bay, TAS - Salvation Army

Blackmans Bay, TAS - Salvation Army

Address: 3 Opal Avenue, , Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

Read More

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1968

Address: Corner Roslyn & Pearsall Avenue, , Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 August 1968 by the Archdeacon of Hobart I.J.B. McDonald.

Read More

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Pius X Catholic

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Pius X Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 98 Chennel Highway, , Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

The Church was designed by the well known Tasmanian architect J.H.E. Dorney and constructed in 1957.

Read More

Bothwell, TAS _ St Lukes Uniting

Bothwell, TAS _ St Lukes Uniting

Year Built: 1830

Address: 10 Market Place, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

The Church was opened in 1830 and was built by the Colonial Government for joint use by the Anglican and Presbyterian congregations. Lt Govt Arthur directed the architect John Lee Archer to change the rounded windows which he considered un Christian . Daniel Herbert a convict sculpture who carved the Ross Bridge heads reputedly carved the…

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Andrew's Catholic

Bothwell, TAS - St Andrew's Catholic

Year Built: 1939

Address: 19 Patrick Street, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

In 1864 Henry Hunter designed a stone church for Bothwell and later that year Bishop Wilson offered the first Mass. The church stood for seventy four years but because there were said to be problems with the foundations and the church was too small, John Goggin's was contracted in 1939 to build a new church using some of the original…

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 2 Dennistoun Road, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

The Church was consecrated by Bishop Montgomery in 1891. The French Gothic revival small country Cathedral was designed by Alexander North and built by Lewis and Son and Hallet. The sandstone for this church was quarried locally. The tower was added and dedicated in 1923 however is un finsiehd due to costs. Before construction of the…

Read More

Bridgewater, TAS - St Paul's Catholic

Bridgewater, TAS - St Paul's Catholic

Address: Paice Street, , Bridgewater Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Address: 19 Old Main Road, , Bridgewater Tasmania, 7140

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: 99 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

A wooden church with an iron roof. It was built in 1931 and the chancel and first bay of the nave were dedicated the same year. The church was designed and built by local contractors and was dedicated by Bishop Hay on Sunday 19 July 1931. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. In Fid D.N.I.C. Apidis SVMM Anglvaris X1V KAL IVN A.D.…

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Bridport, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 15 Westwood Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

Read More

Bridport, TAS - Uniting

Bridport, TAS - Uniting

Address: 2 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

Read More

Buckland, TAS St John the Baptist Anglican

Buckland, TAS St John the Baptist Anglican

Address: 1 Duke Street, , Buckland Tasmania, 7190

On 22nd March, 1846, Mr. Cox conducted the first Service in the Buckland Parish, and the only place in which it could be held was the local Police Station. as conducting his Services in a solid little stone Sunday School, and as if this were not enough, the foundation stone had been laid of a Church, which was in later years to be known…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Baptist

Burnie, TAS - Baptist

Address: 57 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

The church, capable of accommodating 350 or more people,opened on 12 December 1925. It was built almost entirely by men of the Church. Henry Dowling as general overseer, Fred Parsons in charge of the carpentering and Jim Baylis and Ray Haslock in charge of the brick work. It was completed at a cost of £1675 pounds.Seventeen years later…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Salvation Army

Burnie, TAS - Salvation Army

Address: 109 Wilson Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 52 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

The first moves for the provision of an Anglican church at Burnie began in the mid-1840s after the visits of the Rev. Grigg from Circular Head and the Rev. Waterfield from the settlement at the Forth River. The Launceston Advertiser of 9 November 1844 under the heading Churches of the Interior reported: At the new but populous settlement…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Burnie, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1891

Address: 96 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

There are several foundation / plaques on the church building. The church foundation stone reads, " St Mary's Star of the Sea blessed and opened by the Most Rev Daniel Murphy D.D. Archbishop of Hobart 1st January 1891, T Kenner builder, Matthew O'Callahan Parish Priest". Another reads, " Erected to the memory of the very Revd,…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Uniting

Burnie, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: 60 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

A Primitive Methodist Church was built in Mount street in 1869 and a second church was built alongside the earlier church in 1891. A Wesleyan Methodist Church built in Cattley Street in 1894. They were removed to the rear in 1900. The Grand Opening of the first church took place in May, 1869. The erection of this Methodist Chapel by a…

Read More

Bushy Park, St Augustines Anglican

Bushy Park, St Augustines Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 388 Gordon River Road, , Bushy Park Tasmania, 7140

The Foundation stone was laid by Rt Rev J Edward Mercer D.D. Bishop of Tasmania on July 20th 1904. Reverend Walter Hooker was inducted Rector on this day and he remained until 1908. As early as 1895 services were held in the railway waiting room while being financially supported by the New Norfolk parish with R.W.G. Shoobridge deeding…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 6 Lee Street, Campania, Campania Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920. The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Year Built: 1880

Address: 105 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church was built by funds left by Joseph Brickhill a successful local Businessman. His shop which used to be on High Street was built in 1859at a cost of £6,000 and was said to be the finest country store in Tasmania. Brickhill died in 1865 at the age of 65 after being attcked by his Alsatian dog. £1,400 was left in his estate to…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Campbell Town, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1858

Address: 55 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church opened for worship on 30 May 1858. The Church was sold in 2018 and is now a cafe and function venue.

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1835

Address: 70 National Highway, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

From a plaque at the front of the church reads, "John Lee Archer the Civil Engineer under Governor Arthur had the plans drawn up for this church and the foundation stone was laid in 1835. It was then discovered that part of the base had been laid down with no foundations and a new contractor was called to complete the building which was…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Michael's Catholic

Campbell Town, TAS - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1857

Address: 4 King Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The land was secured in 1857 by Bishop Wilson and was consecrated in September of that year.

Read More

Carrick, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Carrick, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 1 Liffey Street, , Carrick Tasmania, 7291

Built in 1843 and consecrated in 1845 after its conversion from a schoolhouse. Services were first held c1843 in a blacksmith's shop and subsequently in a schoolhouse, whose building was later transformed into St Andrew's. Thomas Reibey had the schoolhouse converted by 1845, though the tower was added in 1863. The church's burial ground…

Read More

Claremont, TAS - Baptist

Claremont, TAS - Baptist

Address: 16 Cullen Street, , Claremont Tasmania, 7011

Read More

Claremont, TAS - St Alban's Anglican

Claremont, TAS - St Alban's Anglican

Address: 56 Main Road, , Claremont Tasmania, 7011

Read More

Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic

Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1958

Address: 27 Wyndham Road, , Claremont Tasmania, 7011

The Church was officially blessed by Archbishop Guilford Young and opened on 20th April 1958.

Read More

Clarence, TAS - Uniting

Clarence, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1860

Address: 2 York Street, Clarence, Tasmania, 7270

The original foundation stone on the first church was laid on 18 April 1860 by Henry Hopkins. It was later attached to the current church on 15 October 1909 by Sir Albert Spicer M.P.

Read More

Cleveland, TAS - Presbyterian (Former)

Cleveland, TAS - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1855

Address: 12819 Midland Highway, , Cleveland Tasmania, 7211

Built in 1855 by James and David Gibson the neat very little brick church originally only measured 22 feet by 6 inches but was extended to 33 feet later. Known as Cleveland Union Chapel, the Church only has windows down one side of the building and was originally used by the Presbyterian faith as their centre of worship but later used…

Read More