Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Tasmania, Denomination: Anglican


Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 1404 Lower Marshes Road, , Apsley Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Aspley, TAS - St Bartholomew's Anglican

Aspley, TAS - St Bartholomew's Anglican

Address: 316 Lower Marshes Road, , Aspley Tasmania,

Read More

Avoca, TAS - St Thomas Anglican

Avoca, TAS - St Thomas Anglican

Year Built: 1842

Address: 7 Falmouth Street, , Avoca Tasmania, 7213

The booklet in part reads, On November 1st 1838 a meeting (notified in the Hobart town Gazette) was called to consider the erection of a church at Avoca.The meetings chairman was Capt. A Gardiner S•P•M. Out of this meeting, a building committee was formed, and three men stood as guarantors for the cost: Simeon Lord the Younger and…

Read More

Bagdad, TAS - St Michael and all Angels Anglican

Bagdad, TAS - St Michael and all Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1903

Address: Midland Highway, , Bagdad Tasmania, 7030

The Church was first called St Thomas'. Services were held in the public hall but in 1897 there were plans to build a church. The Foundation stone was laid in November 1903 and the building dedicated in April 1094. In July 1919 the foundation stone of the Chancel was laid.

Read More

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1847

Address: 30 Cromwell Street, Hobart, Battery Point Tasmania, 7004

Located on the highest point of Battery Point, once known as Kermode's Hill the Church was designed by two of Hobart's earliest and best known architects. The land was in fact purchased from William Kermode for 250.00. It was designed in the Neo-Classical style by the Government architect, John Lee Archer, designing the body of the…

Read More

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 23 Clarence Street, , Bellerive Tasmania, 7018

(Known firslty as Kangaroo Point) St. Mark's was formerly Clarence). In 1826 there was a small Chapel of Ease at Clarence Plains, one of the only five churches in Tasmania. In June 1852 S. Mark's Chapel, Kangaroo Point was consecrated. This building still stands and in 1932 it was restored by Toc H. to be used by scouts and guides. In…

Read More

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1968

Address: Corner Roslyn & Pearsall Avenue, , Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 August 1968 by the Archdeacon of Hobart I.J.B. McDonald.

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 2 Dennistoun Road, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

The Church was consecrated by Bishop Montgomery in 1891. The French Gothic revival small country Cathedral was designed by Alexander North and built by Lewis and Son and Hallet. The sandstone for this church was quarried locally. The tower was added and dedicated in 1923 however is un finsiehd due to costs. Before construction of the…

Read More

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Address: 19 Old Main Road, , Bridgewater Tasmania, 7140

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: 99 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

A wooden church with an iron roof. It was built in 1931 and the chancel and first bay of the nave were dedicated the same year. The church was designed and built by local contractors and was dedicated by Bishop Hay on Sunday 19 July 1931. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. In Fid D.N.I.C. Apidis SVMM Anglvaris X1V KAL IVN A.D.…

Read More

Buckland, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican

Buckland, TAS - St John the Baptist Anglican

Address: 1 Duke Street, , Buckland Tasmania, 7190

On 22nd March, 1846, Mr. Cox conducted the first Service in the Buckland Parish, and the only place in which it could be held was the local Police Station. as conducting his Services in a solid little stone Sunday School, and as if this were not enough, the foundation stone had been laid of a Church, which was in later years to be known…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 52 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

The first moves for the provision of an Anglican church at Burnie began in the mid-1840s after the visits of the Rev. Grigg from Circular Head and the Rev. Waterfield from the settlement at the Forth River. The Launceston Advertiser of 9 November 1844 under the heading Churches of the Interior reported: At the new but populous settlement…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 6 Lee Street, Campania, Campania Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920. The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1835

Address: 70 National Highway, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

From a plaque at the front of the church reads, "John Lee Archer the Civil Engineer under Governor Arthur had the plans drawn up for this church and the foundation stone was laid in 1835. It was then discovered that part of the base had been laid down with no foundations and a new contractor was called to complete the building which was…

Read More

Carrick, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Carrick, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 1 Liffey Street, , Carrick Tasmania, 7291

Built in 1843 and consecrated in 1845 after its conversion from a schoolhouse. Services were first held c1843 in a blacksmith's shop and subsequently in a schoolhouse, whose building was later transformed into St Andrew's. Thomas Reibey had the schoolhouse converted by 1845, though the tower was added in 1863. The church's burial ground…

Read More

Claremont, TAS - St Alban's Anglican

Claremont, TAS - St Alban's Anglican

Address: 56 Main Road, , Claremont Tasmania, 7011

The original church was built in 1913.

Read More

Colebrook, TAS - St James of Jerusalem Anglican

Colebrook, TAS - St James of Jerusalem Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 7 Richmond Street, , Colebrook Tasmania, 7027

Services were first held in the old probation church of 1835. The plans of this church were given to the Diocesan Registry in 1921 by the Public Works and are now in the State Archives. In 1882 the foundation stone of the church was laid and in March 1884 the new stone church costing £800 was consecrated.

Read More

Cooee, TAS - St David's Anglican (Former)

Cooee, TAS - St David's Anglican (Former)

Address: 7 Poke Street, , Cooee Tasmania, 7320

In 1931 the Anglican Church was offered £4000 by Mrs Anna Maria Boston of Cooee to build a church in memory of her daughter Alice. A Foundation stone reads, "To the greater glory of God and in memory of Alice Boston this church was erected by her mother Mrs A.M. Boston. The Foundation stone being unveiled by Archdeacon Atkinson B.A.…

Read More

Copping, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Copping, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 2202 Arthur Highway, , Copping Tasmania, 7174

Read More

Cressy, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Cressy, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 110 Main Street, , Cressy Tasmania, 7302

The original church cost £434/4/6 and although it was sup-posed to have been built by general subscription, J. D. Toosey paid for most of it, giving also the original 200 acres glebe and land for the church and cemetery which was made available by the Cressy Company. No charges for cartage were made, as most of the work was given as a…

Read More

Cygnet, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Cygnet, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: George Street, , Cygnet Tasmania, 7112

The church building was begun in 1874, opened in 1875 and dedicatcd in 1876 at a cost of 1,208, Additions were made in October 1894 and the church consecrated. Further additions were made in 1913, and in April 1918 a new vestry was dedicated as a memorial to the Lymington church which had been destroyed by fire. A Foundation stone was…

Read More

Deloriane, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Deloriane, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 7 E Westbury Place, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304

The foundation stone was laid by the Lord Bishop of the Diocese in 1856, but, from various causes incidental to a new country, the work was delayed much longer than Was at first anticipated. The exterior, however, is completed and interior in such a state of forwardness that it is expected it would be ready for opening about Christmas.…

Read More

Devonport, TAS - St John's Anglican

Devonport, TAS - St John's Anglican

Address: 9B Fenton Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

The Church opened on Sunday 15 May 1887 and by 1913, the foundation stone for a tower was laid by Bishop Mercer. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set by the Right Rev G.F. Cranswick BA. TH D Lord Bishop of Tasmania 26 February 1956, H.A. Jerrim Rector". The church hall next door has a foundation stone that reads,…

Read More

Don, TAS - St Olaves Anglican (Former)

Don, TAS - St Olaves Anglican (Former)

Address: 200 Forth Road, , Don Tasmania, 7310

The church opened in 1869. Now closed and up for sale.

Read More

Dover, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Dover, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 6963 Huon Highway, , Dover Tasmania, 7117

The church was consecrated in May 1892. The church bell is a relic of the Hopetoun mill. The building was restored both outside and inside in 1974. This church was built on the land purchased in 1884 from the Stubbs Family. The Reverend Edward Thompson was the Incumbent of the Huon Parish, who with the three Church Wardens (W.P. Clennett,…

Read More

Dunalley, TAS - St Martin's Anglican (Former)

Dunalley, TAS - St Martin's Anglican (Former)

Address: 116 Arthur Highway , , Dunalley Tasmania, 7177

A Foundation stone reads, " To the creator the Glory of God and in grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War of 1914 - 1918. This stone was laid by R.W.C. Shoobridge Esq Feby 20th 1924". The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

East Devonport, VIC _ St Paul's Anglican

East Devonport, VIC _ St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 15 Thomas Street, , East Devonport Tasmania, 7319

The Church was built between 1876-79 at a cost of £425 to the design of architect William Gadsby. It was opened in July 1879. A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone reads thus, Church of St Paul foundation stone laid 13th December 1876 Consecrated March 1882 Rev G.F. (?Archer) Incumbent". An arson attack occurred in 2001…

Read More

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Anglican

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 6 High Street, , Evandale Tasmania, 7212

The earliest services were held in a barn and the first schoolroom chapel of brick was built in 1837. in 1931 the Bishop's charge notes Evandale was given the old St. David's font, which was made at Port Arthur. The second church was begun in 1841 and dedicated in April 1844. It was pulled down in 1871. The third and present church…

Read More

Exeter, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Exeter, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1916

Address: 91 Main Road, , Exeter Tasmania, 7075

The first move towards the establishment of a church at Exeter took place during the year 1910 when a meeting was held at the Hotel to discuss the purchase of a piece of land on which to build a church. Those attending that meeting included Rev. C. C. Macmichael, Messrs B. C. Archer, Spencer Priestley, George Bray and Eric Reid. It was…

Read More

Exton, TAS - Christ Church Anglican

Exton, TAS - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 3952 Meander Valley Road, , Exton Tasmania, 7304

Read More

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Year Built: 1893

Address: 725 Huon Road, , Fern Tree Tasmania, 7054

In 1890 services at Fern Tree were being held in private homes and in the Inn. But in 1892 the foundation stone was laid and this Gothic style wooden church. The architect was Alan Walker and the cost was £447. It was consecrated in February 1893 and although surrounded by trees and bushes this church has survived two major bush fires.…

Read More

Fingal, TAS - St Peter's Anglican (Former)

Fingal, TAS - St Peter's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1868

Address: 2 Talbot Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214

On March 7th, 1867, Archdeacon Reibey of Entally laid the foundation stone of this beautiful little Church. The building was expected to cost £1,300, and there were eleven acres of land attached to it as a reserve, as well as five acres for a cemetery. The clergyman of the parish was the Revd. John Chambers of Cullenswood, who used to…

Read More

Forest, TAS - St Bartholomews Anglican

Forest, TAS - St Bartholomews Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 506 Mengah Road, , Forest Tasmania, 7330

Constructed around 1904, the weatherboard building is of Victorian Gothic style. In 2023 the Church was put up for sale.

Read More

Forth, TAS - All Saints Anglican (Former)

Forth, TAS - All Saints Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1868

Address: Leith Road, , Forth Tasmania, 7310

All Saints' Church was erected, and was probably opened and dedicated on or near to the Festival of All Saints, November 1st, 1868. The Church was originally erected amidst beautiful surroundings, a mile or so from Forth, on the Leith Road, and here, in this secluded spot, lie the remains of many pioneers of the district. All Saints'…

Read More

Franklin, TAS - St John's Anglican

Franklin, TAS - St John's Anglican

Address: Huon Highway, Franklin, Tasmania, 7113

The Architect was Henry Hunter.

Read More

George Town, TAS - All Saints Anglican

George Town, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Address: 3 Anne Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

The Original church was Saint Mary Magdalene's. The present Anglican Church is believed to be the fourth one. A chapel was erected in 1832, and used by visiting clergy from Launceston. This was replaced in 1838, and in 1841 the first resident priest was appointed, who was the Revd. J. Walker. Records of sacramental administrations go…

Read More

Gretna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Gretna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1848

Address: 31 Church Road, , Gretna Tasmania, 7140

Gretna was called Stoney Hut Plains and later The Woolpack after the Inn. The Church was consecrated by Bishop Nixon on June 1st 1848 and the Minister and Chaplain of Macquarie Plains at the time was the Rev. William Tancred. Other clergy at the consecration were the Archdeacon Marriott and Rev. G. Wright, of Hamilton. At the service…

Read More

Hagley, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Hagley, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: Church Lane, , Hagley Tasmania, 7292

St Mary's Anglican Church is a bluestone Gothic Revival building that opened for services in 1862. The lands and a significant part of the church's funds were donated by Sir Richard Dry and later by his wife in her will.. Anglican services were first held in Hagley in a small brick church in the village which was the combined gift of…

Read More

Hamilton, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Hamilton, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 15 Ponsonby Street, , Hamilton Tasmania, 7140

The pamphlet in part reads, The construction of a church at Hamilton came as the direct result of concern felt by those who had settled within a wide area, namely from Gretna to Ousebridge. The first meeting was arranged for 26th September 1831, and the formation of a Building Committee was instituted, with David Burn, the dramatist…

Read More

Hillcrest, TAS - Anglican (Former)

Hillcrest, TAS - Anglican (Former)

Address: 2 Payne Street, , Hillcrest Tasmania,

A Foundation stone reads, "A.M.D.G. This stone was laid by Ven Archdeacon Walters 15.3.1953". The church has closed and is now used as storage for a local Theatre Company.

Read More