Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Tasmania, Denomination: Uniting


Bagdad, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Bagdad, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1842

Address: 2 Chauncy Vale Road, , Bagdad Tasmania, 7073

Constructed from stone circa 1842 the church was built as a result of the efforts of Mr George Armytage and Mr John Palmer.

Read More

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1909

Address: 125 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

Gold mining attracted many Methodist Cornishmen to settle in this district. In 1861 services were held at Supply River with preachers provided from Launceston. In 1878 the Primitive Methodists came to Beaconsfield and by 1880 the Rev C.R. Rice took up ministry there as part of the Launceston Mission. By 1891 Beaconsfield was created a…

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Lukes Uniting

Bothwell, TAS - St Lukes Uniting

Year Built: 1830

Address: 10 Market Place, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

The Church was opened in 1830 and was built by the Colonial Government for joint use by the Anglican and Presbyterian congregations. The Church was built jointly for the established church of England and the Presbyterians. The builder was William Foorde and the cost was £147. Lt Govt Arthur directed the architect John Lee Archer to…

Read More

Bridport, TAS - Uniting

Bridport, TAS - Uniting

Address: 2 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Uniting

Burnie, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: 60 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

A Primitive Methodist Church was built in Mount street in 1869 and a second church was built alongside the earlier church in 1891. A Wesleyan Methodist Church built in Cattley Street in 1894. They were removed to the rear in 1900. The Grand Opening of the first church took place in May, 1869. The erection of this Methodist Chapel by a…

Read More

Clarence, TAS - Uniting

Clarence, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1860

Address: 2 York Street, Clarence, Tasmania, 7270

The original foundation stone on the first church was laid on 18 April 1860 by Henry Hopkins. It was later attached to the current church on 15 October 1909 by Sir Albert Spicer M.P.

Read More

Cranbrook, TAS - Uniting

Cranbrook, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1845

Address: 14876 Tasman Highway, , Cranbrook Tasmania, 7190

Gala Kirk was built in 1845 & is the oldest church in Glamorgan/Spring Bay Municipality. As early as 1844, a meeting was held to build a church & as many of the residents were Scots, they decided on a Presbyterian Kirk. A gift of 5 acres of land was made by Adam Amos of Glen Gala. The church was built by Mr Thorbury, a carpenter and…

Read More

Cressy, TAS - Uniting

Cressy, TAS - Uniting

Address: 105 Main Street, , Cressy Tasmania, 7302

Read More

Cygnet, TAS - Uniting

Cygnet, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1951

Address: 41 Mary Street, , Cygnet Tasmania, 7112

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid on 15 December 1951 by the Reverend A.W.R. Milligan Chairman of the Methodist Assembly Tasmania. It replaced a weatherboard building. Overnight services were being conducted during 1864 and the need for a chapel was felt. A building was constructed during the 1870s. During 1902…

Read More

Devonport, TAS - Uniting

Devonport, TAS - Uniting

Address: 12 Forbes Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

Read More

Devonport, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Devonport, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1932

Address: 45 Steele Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

The foundation stone was laid by Rev W.H.E. Abbey Circuit minister and Chairman of Mersey district June 27 1931. The current church building was opened on March 1932 . The Church was closed in 2018. This is now a Community Wellness centre. A Tasmanian, multi-faceted media production company.

Read More

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Evandale, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1839

Address: 9 High Street, , Evandale Tasmania, 7212

The Scottish Community of Evandale had raised funds for the building of a Kirk (Church) and along with a grant from the Government this enabled the laying of a foundation stone in 1838 by the Governor, Sir John Franklin and from this the Kirk (Church) became a reality with the dedication of St. Andrews on 5th September 1840. The church…

Read More

Exeter, TAS - Uniting

Exeter, TAS - Uniting

Address: 108 Main Road, , Exeter Tasmania, 7275

Opened for service on 11 March 1916. After the war years quite a revival occurred ans congregations increased ans quite a large Sunday School came into being. For use as a hall and Sunday School the Winkleigh Methodist Church was brought to Exeter and re erected behind the exisiting church.

Read More

Fingal, TAS - Uniting

Fingal, TAS - Uniting

Address: Grant Street, , Fingal Tasmania, 7214

A small wooden structure constructed on a stone base. There is a bell - cote on the iron gabled roof. Services were first conducted in Fingal in October 1876. It was not until 1879 that plans were drawn up for the construction of a permanent building. The Foundation stone was laid in 1881. The first Sunday School was held October 1885…

Read More

Franklin, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Franklin, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Address: 3406 Huon Highway, , Franklin Tasmania, 7113

Records show that the cause in this centre was established prior to 1859 and that a Sunday-school Home Mission Station. During 1879 the Longley church was attached to the Franklin Home Mission station. In 1902 the Rev. F. Delbridge was appointed to the Franklin Circuit.

Read More

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 101 Macquarie Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A Foundation stone reads," To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Reverend Allan Martin Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Tasmania 22nd June 1958".

Read More

Glenorchy, TAS - Uniting

Glenorchy, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: 446 Main Road, , Glenorchy Tasmania, 7010

The first Methodist church at Glenorchy opened in 1831 at O’Brien’s Bridge. The foundation stone of the current church was laid on 16 April 1910 by John Hallam Esq.

Read More

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 75 Meander Road, , Hagley Tasmania, 7292

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Reverend C.L. Turner B.A. Superintendent Minister 6th April 1957".

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Scot's Memorial Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Scot's Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1834

Address: 29 Bathurst Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The Church was built between 1834 and 1836 and the architect was J.E. Addison. The brick constructed hall was built in 1824 and was the original St Andrew's Presbyterian church and is the oldest Presbyterian church in Australia. It features a central tower-like parapet and four small spires. The church was lengthened by 6m in 1860 to…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1870

Address: Brisbane Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

Formerly a Congregational Church. It was built in 1870 and rebuilt in 1936 & enlarged in 1939. The congregation of this church first met in 1836 in the small Beraea Chapel in Liverpool Street, which has since been demolished. In 1837 a new church was built in lower Collins Street. By the 1850s this proved too small to meet the…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Wesley Uniting

Hobart, TAS - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1837

Address: 56 Melville Street, Hobart, Hobart Tasmania, 7000

On 29 October 1820 a Class meeting was held under the sponsorship of laymen Benjamin Nokes and George Waddy. The continuity of Wesleyan Methodism in Hobart is dated from this occasion. On 12th February 1821 the first meeting in the Argyle Street chapel was held. This building was a rented carpenter's shop owned by one Charles Donn. The…

Read More

Kettering, TAS - Church of the Holy Spirit Uniting

Kettering, TAS - Church of the Holy Spirit Uniting

Year Built: 1969

Address: Channel Highway, , Kettering Tasmania, 7155

In 1863 Dr Crowther and Mr M. Holmes made land available for a place of public worship and a cemetery. The resulting building served as a schoolroom as well as a chapel. This Union Chapel, for protestants of any denomination, serviced the scattered rural environment. The structure survived the 1897 bushfires, but in 1900 was replaced…

Read More

Kingston Beach, TAS - Uniting

Kingston Beach, TAS - Uniting

Address: 42 Jindabyne Road, , Kingston Beach Tasmania, 7050

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Pilgrim Uniting

Launceston, TAS - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1866

Address: 34 Paterson Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Built in the Gothic style the church is made from polychrome brick with stucco dressings and was designed by the notable firm of Melbourne architects Crouch & Wilson and based upon St Peter's Church, Woolwich in the UK. Opened 21 February 1868, after the congregation outgrew the original Wesleyan Chapel next door, which is now the…

Read More

Legana, TAS - Uniting

Legana, TAS - Uniting

Address: 797 W Tamar Highway, , Tamar Tasmania, 7277

Read More

Longford, TAS - Uniting

Longford, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 3 High Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

The first Church was built in Wellington Street on land donated by Joseph Heazlewood. By 1870 it had been demolished and a new church built in High Street. A full history at the website Churches of Tasmania can be viewed here.

Read More

Mole Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Mole Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1878

Address: 46 Pioneer Drive, , Mole Creek Tasmania, 7304

Construction of the church began on donated land, and an associated cottage in late 1876.] It was completed in 1878, then enlarged in 1880, at which time the original building was moved to the rear and used as a supper room. An adjacent church hall was added in 1919. The Wesleyan chapel was rented by the Government for a school from at…

Read More

New Norfolk, TAS - St Paul's Uniting

New Norfolk, TAS - St Paul's Uniting

Address: 9 Burnett Street, , New Norfolk Tasmania, 7140

Read More

Newnham, TAS - Uniting

Newnham, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1903

Address: 128 George Town Road, , Newnham Tasmania, 7248

The Original Church was built in 1881 but destroyed by fire in 1903. A plaque on the building testifies to its origins.

Read More

North Hobart, TAS - Uniting

North Hobart, TAS - Uniting

Address: 2 Swan Street, , North Hobart Tasmania, 7000

Read More

Oatlands, TAS - Uniting

Oatlands, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1860

Address: 32 High Street, , Oatlands Tasmania, 7120

A plaque on the fence reads, " The Manse erected 1860 by George Wilson of Mt Seymour for his daughter, Margaret, who married Reverend Lauchlin McKinnon Campbell, first minister of the Oatlands parish from 1853 - 1889. After Reverend Campbell's death in 1907 the congregation purchased the Manse".

Read More

Parattah, TAS - Uniting

Parattah, TAS - Uniting

Address: 671 Tunnack Road, , Parattah Tasmania, 7120

Information pending

Read More

Penguin , TAS - Uniting

Penguin , TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1903

Address: 50 Main Road, , Penguin Tasmania, 7316

The original Primitive Methodist Church opened on 14 January 1866 but was later destroyed by fire. Prominent north-west architect and builder William Henry Morris created the current structure which opened on 10 May 1903.

Read More

Ross, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Ross, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1882

Address: 43 Church Street, , Ross Tasmania, 7209

A foundation stones reads, "This memorial stone was laid by Elizabeth Pridden Horton Dec 15 1882". The Church was opened in 1885. Thomas Parramore gave the land and the first stone was quarried from the Beaufront Quarries. Percy Oakden, (son of Phillip, an old Horton College Student) was the architect. The foundation stones were…

Read More

Sandy Bay, TAS - Uniting

Sandy Bay, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: 22 Princes Street, , Sandy Bay Tasmania, 7005

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 February 1904 by Chas E. Walch esq. Today the church is known as the Korean Uniting Church.

Read More

Sanford, TAS - St Martin's Uniting

Sanford, TAS - St Martin's Uniting

Year Built: 1924

Address: 18 School Road, , Sanford Tasmania, 7020

A dedication service was held on 28th of September 1924 with over 200 persons including the Bishop of Tasmania the Rt Reverend E Hay attending. The building was 48ft in length, and 23ft in width exclusive of the vestry and porch. The ceiling and furniture was of polished Tasmanian with two stained glassed windows. The church is now in…

Read More

Sassafras, TAS - Uniting

Sassafras, TAS - Uniting

Address: 75 Chapel Road, , Sassafras Tasmania, 7307

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Scottsdale, TAS - Uniting

Scottsdale, TAS - Uniting

Address: 14 King Street, , Scottsdale Tasmania, 7260

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Hon R.S. Scott M.L.C. February 13th 1901 W.H. Taylor Pastor F.W.Briggs Circuit Stewart".

Read More

Sheffield, TAS - Uniting

Sheffield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1937

Address: 77 Main Street, , Sheffiled Tasmania, 7306

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Sir Walter Lee K.C.M.C. on the 6th of February 1937 Rev F.R. Woolhouse L.th Minister".

Read More

Sisters Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Sisters Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Address: 17795 Bass Highway, , Sisters Creek Tasmania, 7325

Boat Harbour Uniting has now moved to a new location. This church maybe in private hands.

Read More