Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Tasmania


Jericho, TAS - St James Anglican

Jericho, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1888

The first services were held in a house. Church News of June 1883 states that St. James' was erected in 1826 or 27 but Church News of January 1947 says that building commenced in 1829. The church which was designed by John Lee Archer, was consecrated on the 10th of May, 1838. A plaque on the church reads, "The original church on this…

Read More

Kettering, TAS - Church of the Holy Spirit Uniting

Kettering, TAS - Church of the Holy Spirit Uniting

Year Built: 1969

Address: Channel Highway, , Kettering Tasmania, 7155

In 1863 Dr Crowther and Mr M. Holmes made land available for a place of public worship and a cemetery. The resulting building served as a schoolroom as well as a chapel. This Union Chapel, for protestants of any denomination, serviced the scattered rural environment. The structure survived the 1897 bushfires, but in 1900 was replaced…

Read More

Kingston Beach, TAS - Christ the Priest Catholic

Kingston Beach, TAS - Christ the Priest Catholic

Address: 2 Jindabyne Road, , Kingston Beach Tasmania, 7050

Read More

Kingston Beach, TAS - Uniting

Kingston Beach, TAS - Uniting

Address: 42 Jindabyne Road, , Kingston Beach Tasmania, 7050

Read More

Kingston, TAS - St Aloysius Catholic

Kingston, TAS - St Aloysius Catholic

Year Built: 1874

Address: Church Street, , Kingston Tasmania, 7051

The church was established in 1873 and opened in 1874.

Read More

Kingston, TAS - St Clements Anglican

Kingston, TAS - St Clements Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: Corner Channel Highway & Beach Street, , Kingston Tasmania, 7051

The first church was designed by James Blackburn and was dedicated in October 1852. It was consecrated in December 1856. It was repaired in S89,, but by 1892 it was falling down, so it was pulled down. A new church of wood, designed by George Fagg, was built and opened in 1894 and consecrated in February 1895. The choir and vestry were…

Read More

Koonya, TAS - St Alban's Anglican

Koonya, TAS - St Alban's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Henry Street, , Koonya Tasmania, 7187

On July 23 1894 a public meeting was held and the initial steps were taken to erect an Anglican Church in Koonya. Mr J.R. McClymont kidley donated three acres of land for that purpose and for a cemetery. This was supplemented with a quantity of materials. On March 6 1904 the Church was opened and dedicated to St Alban by the Right…

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - Baptist

Latrobe, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 125 Gilbert Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

The work of the Baptist Union was commenced at Latrobe on December 19, 1886, when Pastor Wood of Longford introduced Mr. H. G. Blackie. Extract from first Minute book. On March 28, 1887, a meeting was held in the Oddfellow Hall when the Church of the baptised believers in Latrobe was formed by Launceston. There were 1 Rev A. Bird of…

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - St David's Presbyterian

Latrobe, TAS - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1879

Address: 7 Hamilton Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

Churches in circuit covered by the Latrobe Minister were Latrobe, Sassafras, Harford, Melrose, Aberdeen & Greenbanks. First Mission was held in Latrobe Circuit in 1910 by Rev. V. Trigge. The Church is built of brick, with freestone facings and a slate roof, after a design by Mr. Gadsby, and has seating for 200 people. The Foundation…

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Latrobe, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: 2 Cotton Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

The first Anglican services in the Latrobe district were held at Ballahoo on the western bank of the Mersey River. In 1868 Latrobe School Church was opened at a cost of £145 and in 1871 it was still a school church. A Church was consecrated in 1887 and in 1892 Church News stated that there were plans for a new Church. Plans for a new…

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Latrobe, TAS - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 195 Gilbert Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

Bishop Willson applied for two acres at Latrobe, on October 22, 1864, as the site for a church, school and cemetery. The following February, he asked for another block in lieu of a section of land not granted "on account of the proposed tramway running near the land". The total land grant to the Catholics of Latrobe was five acres.…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Apostolic

Launceston, TAS - Apostolic

Year Built: 1898

Address: 80 Margaret Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The church was built in 1898 for the Catholic Apostolic Church. In 1913, it was purchased by the Church of Christ, which had been active in the Launceston since 1884. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone to commemorate church extension laid by Mrs D Shields 1913". The building remains a church and now operates as the Bible Salvation…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Baptist

Launceston, TAS - Baptist

Address: 81 Cimitiere Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Baptist

Launceston, TAS - Baptist

Address: 11 Frederick Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

A Gothic-Revival designed church built of red brick to the design of Melbourne Architect Granger & D’Ebro in 1883-5. It replaced an earlier chapel (St John's-now Milton Hall next door). External details are Gothic with turrets, buttresses, and pointed label moulded windows. It has a side tower supporting an octagonal spire with…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Church of the Apostles Catholic

Launceston, TAS - Church of the Apostles Catholic

Year Built: 1865

Address: 44 Margaret Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The foundation stone for the St Joseph's church was laid on 19 March 1839 by Rev. Gentleman, and the church was inaugurated in October 1842. Two decades later, St. Joseph's Church began to show signs of decay, and it was decided to replace it with a larger church. The plans for the new church were drawn by the Tasmanian architect Henry…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Gateway Baptist

Launceston, TAS - Gateway Baptist

Year Built: 1885

Address: 22 Wellington Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Work began on the Church building in 1883, it was to seat 1200 and was built under the guidance of Mr. F. Tyson (Architect) and J. T. Farmilo (Builder) at a cost of £17,500 . It was first called “The Temple” but its name was then changed to “The Memorial Church.” It was officially opened in July, 1885, when 1200 people are said to have…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Launceston, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1901

Address: 32 Cameron Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Of Gothic-Revival design and built of red brick and sandstone in 1901 replacing an earlier building. It was opened in the following year. One of Alexander North's most successful architectural works. It has the chancel, transepts and crossing. He was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England. The building incorporates a five-bay aisled…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Lutheran

Launceston, TAS - Lutheran

Address: 25 Frankland Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The first divine service was conducted in St. Andrew’s Sunday School hall. The first divine service was conducted in St. Andrew’s Sunday School hall. In the early fifties, services were conducted once a month, in German and English. There were only five members then. Some of the early attenders were Mrs A Woodman, Mrs Bartley, Mr H Trey…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Pilgrim Uniting

Launceston, TAS - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1866

Address: 34 Paterson Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Built in the Gothic style the church is made from polychrome brick with stucco dressings and was designed by the notable firm of Melbourne architects Crouch & Wilson and based upon St Peter's Church, Woolwich in the UK. Opened 21 February 1868, after the congregation outgrew the original Wesleyan Chapel next door, which is now the…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Presbyterian

Launceston, TAS - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1859

Address: 5A Frederick Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The church was named after Thomas Chalmers, the leader of the Great Disruption. In Gothic Revival style, the architect was William Henry Clayton. The foundation stone was laid in 1859, and it was built over 1859 and 1860 by Messrs Roe and Rhodes with the buiding containing about 600,000 convict made bricks. The building, including the…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Launceston, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1849

Address: 36 St John Street, , Launceston Tasmania,

It was the second Presbyterian church to be built in the city of Launceston following the Scotch National Church on Charles Street (built 1831). The land was secured with a petition to Lieutenant-Governor, Sir William Thomas Denison for a lot of land occupied by one of the colony's original watch houses. The Building Committee…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - St John's Anglican

Launceston, TAS - St John's Anglican

Address: 157 St John Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The first foundation stone was laid on the 28th of December 1824 by the Governor of Van Dieman's Land, Sir George Arthur, on land consecrated by the Reverend Samuel Marsden of New South Wales. Construction of the first church was carried out by convict labour. The bricks were made from clay dug n the area opposite the church. The tower…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Launceston, TAS - St Paul's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1861

Address: Cleveland Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The first recorded meeting of parishioners was held November, 1854, those present being the Chairman Rev G.B. Smith, Austin, Barnes, Cleveland, Henty, Palmer and Turnbull. Cleveland and Turnbull were appointed Churchwardens. At a meeting on 9th February, 1855, it was proposed that school be opened in the temporary Church in Frankland…

Read More

Lawitta, TAS - Unknown

Lawitta, TAS - Unknown

Address: 49 Larwitta Road, , Larwitta Tasmania, 7140

Ten First Fleeters are buried in the Chapel.

Read More

Legana, TAS - Uniting

Legana, TAS - Uniting

Address: 797 W Tamar Highway, , Tamar Tasmania, 7277

Read More

Lindisfarne, TAS - Anglican

Lindisfarne, TAS - Anglican

Address: 54 Lincoln Street, , Lindisfarne Tasmania, 7015

Early services were held in a recreation pavilion then the local Stare School until St Aiden's church hall was erected in 19

Read More

Lindisfarne, TAS - Incarnation Catholic

Lindisfarne, TAS - Incarnation Catholic

Address: 1 Bay Road, , Lindisfarne Tasmania, 7015

The current church was designed by parishioner and architect Lindsay Wallace Johnston. The church adopted the progressivist ideals of New Brutalism in design.

Read More

Longford, TAS - Baptist

Longford, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 2000

Address: 159 Wellington Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

A Foundation stone reads, " Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever, Hebrews 13 8 AD 2000".

Read More

Longford, TAS - Baptist (Former)

Longford, TAS - Baptist (Former)

Year Built: 1880

Address: 7 Smith Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

The first services were held in what were then known as the Assembly Rooms, and are now the front rooms of the Town Hall. During Pastor Wood's ministry the Sunday School Hall, erected at a cost of four hundred pounds, was received by the pastor as a gift from Mrs. Gibson. The main church building had previously been provided as a gift by…

Read More

Longford, TAS - Christ Church Anglican

Longford, TAS - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 2 William Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

The first services were held in the open in 1826, then in a two roomed cottage for five people. The first small church was built in 1829 to 1832 and named St Augustine's. This brick church which had a tower was demolished in 1842. The corner stone was laid by Lieutenant-Governor Sir John Franklin on March 16, 1839. The church was…

Read More

Longford, TAS - Christ Church Anglican

Longford, TAS - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1842

Address: 1179 Ilawarra Road, , Longford Tasmania, 7291

The Church was built by Captain Edward Dumaresq with Government assistance as a school cum chapel in 1841-2. The chancel was added in 1888 and the church was consecrated in February that year. Mr Dumaresq gave the land and the ironstone and freestone church to the Diocese. In 1905 a new chancel was added at a cost of £350 and dedicated in…

Read More

Longford, TAS - St Augustine Catholic

Longford, TAS - St Augustine Catholic

Year Built: 1867

Address: 24 Goderich Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

The first of the imposing bluestones which bind St Augustine's Church at Longford was laid in 1864 under the guidance of Longford's energetic parish priest, Fr John Butler. It was a simple act yet a grand occasion, bringing to an end a 50-odd year battle for land and funding for a church to serve the growing number of Catholic families in…

Read More

Longford, TAS - Uniting

Longford, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 3 High Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

The first Church was built in Wellington Street on land donated by Joseph Heazlewood. By 1870 it had been demolished and a new church built in High Street. A full history at the website Churches of Tasmania can be viewed here.

Read More

Longford, TAS - Wesleyan Chapel

Longford, TAS - Wesleyan Chapel

Year Built: 1887

Address: 107 Wellington Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

Opened in 1887 the Longford Methodist Church, or, as it was then known, the Wesleyan Methodist Society, was founded in 1834. Now in private hands.

Read More

Lower Barrington, TAS - Baptist

Lower Barrington, TAS - Baptist

Address: 1056 Sheffield Road, , Lower Barrington Tasmania, 7306

Read More

Lower Sandy Bay, TAS - St Stephen's Anglican

Lower Sandy Bay, TAS - St Stephen's Anglican

Address: 520 Sandy Bay Road, , Lower Sandy Bay Tasmania, 7005

The Church was sold in 2021.

Read More

Margate, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Margate, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1933

Address: Corner Channel Highway & Van Morey Road, , Margate Tasmania, 7054

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 July 1933 by D.B. Blackwood Archdeacon and the church was consecrated the following November.

Read More

Marrawah, TAS - Baptist

Marrawah, TAS - Baptist

Address: 826 Comeback Road, , Marrawah Tasmania, 7330

Read More

Marrawah, TAS - St Oswalds Protestant

Marrawah, TAS - St Oswalds Protestant

Address: 773 Comeback Road, , Mallawah Tasmania, 7330

Frederick Wilbraham Ford of Marrawah gifted this land for the purposes of erecting a church building as a Memorial to those residents of Marrawah who lost their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918. The Church known as St Oswalds was erected and consecrated on the site and the building remains a Memorial to those residents of the Marrawah…

Read More

Mole Creek, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Mole Creek, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 49 Caveside Road, , Mole Creek Tasmania, 7304

The Church was consecrated on the 12th of September 1932 and celebrated its 40th Anniversary in 1972.

Read More