Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Tasmania


Richmond, TAS - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Richmond, TAS - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Year Built: 1837

Address: 29 St Johns Circuit, , Richmond Tasmania, 7025

St John's Church can be traced back to Australia's first Catholic bishop, John Polding who visited Van Diemen's Land, as Tasmania was then known, in 1835. He visited the Richmond area pledging to erect a church of behalf of the local Catholics. A local by the name of John Cassidy gave land for church building purposes. The church…

Read More

Richmond, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Richmond, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1834

Address: Church Street, , Richmond Tasmania, 7025

Of Georgian design the church is built of sandstone from a design by colonial architect John Lee Archer and erected between 1834 and 1836. The foundation stone was laid on 3 February 1834 by Governor Arthur. The church was still uncompleted when the sexton William Chambers and Mary Heyward were married on 11 March 1836. The subscribers…

Read More

Rocky Cape, TAS - Apolstolic

Rocky Cape, TAS - Apolstolic

Address: Bass Highway, , Rocky Cape Tasmania,

Read More

Rocky Cape, TAS - Unknown

Rocky Cape, TAS - Unknown

Address: 23 Montumana Road, , Rocky Cape Tasmania, 7321

Read More

Rokeby, TAS - St Matthew's Anglican

Rokeby, TAS - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: King Street, , Rokeby Tasmania, 7019

The building of a Church for the district of Clarence Plains was first contemplated in 1828 when Venerable T. H. Scott was Archdeacon of New South Wales. At this time Australia, including Van Diemen's Land, as Tasmania was known, formed a part of the diocese of Calcutta, Scott having been appointed the first Archdeacon in 1824. In…

Read More

Ross TAS - St John's Anglican (Former)

Ross TAS - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1869

Address: 11 Church Street, , Ross Tasmania, 7209

In 1832 both Ross and Campbell Town applied for government help to build a church, and the Rev. William Bedford Jr. was appointed to take charge, building himself a home, Howley Lodge at Campbell Town. The first plans had been too ambitious and had to be scaled down, Charles Atkinson was allowed a carpenter and two sawyers by the…

Read More

Ross, TAS - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Ross, TAS - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 42 Church Street, , Ross Tasmania, 7209

The most prominent Catholic at Ross in the early 1850s was Doctor Edward Swarbreck Hall, the noted Biblical scholar. Hall held the post of Government medical superintendent. The Doctor agitated in the Ross - Campbell Town district for the Anti-Transportation League. John Mitchel describes the devout Catholic, who "on Sundays walked to…

Read More

Ross, TAS - Uniting

Ross, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: 43 Church Street, , Ross Tasmania, 7209

A foundation stones reads, "This memorial stone was laid by Elizabeth Pridden Horton Dec 15 1882". The Church was opened in 1885. Thomas Parramore gave the land and the first stone was quarried from the Beaufront Quarries. Percy Oakden, (son of Phillip, an old Horton College Student) was the architect. The foundation stones were…

Read More

Sandy Bay, TAS - Holy Spirit Catholic

Sandy Bay, TAS - Holy Spirit Catholic

Address: 275 Sandy Bay Road, , Sandy Bay Tasmania, 7005

The Parish of Sandy Bay came into existence officially on 28th January 1934. Father T.J. O'Donnell celebrated the first Mass in a temporary structure in the garden where the present site is located on 1st April 1934. Archbishop Hayden laid the foundation stone for the new Penticost hall on 20 May that same year. and the building was…

Read More

Sandy Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Sandy Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1918

Address: Corner Lord & Grosvenor Streets, , Sandy Bay Tasmania, 7005

Services were first held in a school room and in St Mattias' Church (now a Baptist church). In 1917 the old Mariners Church of 1862 on the wharfwas pulled down. The stone and bricks costing 50 were brough by Mr ans Mrs Edward Pearce and were given for St Peter's which was erected in 1918 in memory of their son Clyde who was killed in…

Read More

Sandy Bay, TAS - Uniting

Sandy Bay, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: 22 Princes Street, , Sandy Bay Tasmania, 7005

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 February 1904 by Chas E. Walch esq. Today the church is known as the Korean Uniting Church.

Read More

Sanford, TAS - St Martin's Uniting

Sanford, TAS - St Martin's Uniting

Year Built: 1924

Address: 18 School Road, , Sanford Tasmania, 7020

A dedication service was held on 28th of September 1924 with over 200 persons including the Bishop of Tasmania the Rt Reverend E Hay attending. The building was 48ft in length, and 23ft in width exclusive of the vestry and porch. The ceiling and furniture was of polished Tasmanian with two stained glassed windows. The church is now in…

Read More

Sassafras, TAS - Baptist

Sassafras, TAS - Baptist

Address: 14 Chapel Road, , Sassafras Tasmania, 7307

Sassafras Pioneer Henry Rockliff, established the first church in the district. The Skelbrook Chapel was opened on 1st January 1865 by Wesleyan Minister Rev Isaac Rooney. it was built for Henry Rockliff on his property Skelbrook to be used as an interdenominational chapel. Since the 1890's it has been used regularly by the Baptist church.…

Read More

Sassafras, TAS - Uniting

Sassafras, TAS - Uniting

Address: 75 Chapel Road, , Sassafras Tasmania, 7307

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Scottsdale, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Scottsdale, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Address: 35 George Street, , Scottsdale Tasmania, 7260

Read More

Scottsdale, TAS - St Barnabas Anglican

Scottsdale, TAS - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: 57 King Street, , Scottsdale Tasmania, 7260

A Foundation stone on Church Hall reads, " This stone was laid by His Excellency Sir W.G. Ellison MaCartney P.C. KOMC Govenor of Tasmania 18th Feb 1916. C.W. Wilson B.A. Rector".

Read More

Scottsdale, TAS - Uniting

Scottsdale, TAS - Uniting

Address: 14 King Street, , Scottsdale Tasmania, 7260

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Hon R.S. Scott M.L.C. February 13th 1901 W.H. Taylor Pastor F.W.Briggs Circuit Stewart".

Read More

Sheffield, TAS - Baptist

Sheffield, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1930

Address: 102 Main Street, , Sheffield Tasmania, 7306

Two foundation stones reads, " This stone was laid by the Rev V.G. Britton as a memorial to the late William Gibson who on this site built the Tabernacle in 1891 which was destroyed by fire March 23rd 1930". The other stone reads, " This stone was laid by John Soundy Esq, M.H.A. October 11th 1930".

Read More

Sheffield, TAS - Holy Cross Catholic

Sheffield, TAS - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1921

Address: 42 High Street, , Sheffield Tasmania, 7306

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed and laid by the Most Rev Archbishop William Barry on November 13th 1921 DEO Grattas".

Read More

Sheffield, TAS - Uniting

Sheffield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1937

Address: 77 Main Street, , Sheffiled Tasmania, 7306

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Sir Walter Lee K.C.M.C. on the 6th of February 1937 Rev F.R. Woolhouse L.th Minister".

Read More

Sisters Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Sisters Creek, TAS - Uniting (Former)

Address: 17795 Bass Highway, , Sisters Creek Tasmania, 7325

Boat Harbour Uniting has now moved to a new location. This church maybe in private hands.

Read More

Smithton, TAS - Circular Head Anglican

Smithton, TAS - Circular Head Anglican

Address: 93 Emmett treet, , Smithton Tasmania, 7330

Read More

Smithton, TAS - Protestant

Smithton, TAS - Protestant

Year Built: 1940

Address: 36 King Street, , Smithton Tasmania, 7330

The Church was built in 1940 and constructed of concrete block on approx 800m square. The property was sold in 2017.

Read More

Smithton, TAS - St Peter Chanel Catholic

Smithton, TAS - St Peter Chanel Catholic

Address: 12 Sampson Avenue, , Smithton Tasmania, 7330

Read More

Smithton, TAS - Uniting

Smithton, TAS - Uniting

Address: 54 Goldie Street, , Smithton Tasmania, 7330

Read More

Snug, TAS - St John's Anglican

Snug, TAS - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1969

Address: Frost Street, , Snug Tasmania, 7054

In 1927 the Church was built and was dedicated in April 1927 having cost £400. In 1967 St. John's was burnt down in disasterous bush fires. In 1969 the new brick modern design was constructed in April. The church cost $28,000 and was designed by Harry Oldmeadow. It has a cross of burnt timber. The Church is now closed.

Read More

Sorell, TAS - Scot's Uniting

Sorell, TAS - Scot's Uniting

Year Built: 1842

Address: 43 Arthur Street, , Sorell Tasmania, 7172

Formerly a Presbyterian church this sandstone pure Romanesque styled church was built and completed in 1842. Architect was James Blackburn a convict architect. It has a gabled roof and central tall square tower with semi-circular arch topped entrance. The foundation stone was laid in 1840 by the Reverend John Lillie of Hobart and was…

Read More

Sorell, TAS - St George's Anglican

Sorell, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 16 Gordon Street, Sorell, Tasmania, 7172

A small stone Gothic Revival church constructed in 1826 and re-built in 1883. This replaced a larger church on the same site that dated back to 1825. The contract was awarded to Messrs Grubb Bros of Hobart for 925 and most of the construction work was carried out by convicts. The first services were held in a barn. In 1826 St. George's…

Read More

Sorell, TAS - St Thoma's Catholic

Sorell, TAS - St Thoma's Catholic

Year Built: 1864

Address: 22 Arthur Street, , Sorell Tasmania, 7172

Bishop Willson asked the Government for a church allotment at Sorell. Four years later, he sent a detailed plan of the land he required, four lots for "a minister's house, school and other Church purposes'', and the same number of lots for a cemetery. It was pointed out that the Catholics had not received any grant from the Government in…

Read More

South Hobart, TAS - St Peter's Lutheran

South Hobart, TAS - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1870

Address: 207 Davey Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. St. Peter's Lutheran Church (SPLC) is now located in Warrane, Tasmania. The church stands on the site of an 1838 Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School, one of about eight Methodist Sunday Schools in Hobart alone. Construction was by John Anderson. The Superintendent of Works was former convict Edward…

Read More

South Launceston, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

South Launceston, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 2 Hobart Road, , South Launceston Tasmania, 7249

Tenders were called for the erection of a new church (8 being received in all) and, upon the recommendation of the architect, that of E. Lewis and Sons (Roy and Geoff) at a figure, of £21,995 was accepted. A loan with the M. L. C. Assurance Company Ltd. was negotiated for £15,000 under the guarantee of the Diocese. A Foundation stone…

Read More

South Launceston, TAS - Unknown

South Launceston, TAS - Unknown

Address: 89 Merridith Street, , South Launceston Tasmania, 7249

Read More

Spreyton, TAS - All Saint's Anglican

Spreyton, TAS - All Saint's Anglican

Address: 30 Sheffield Road, , Spreyton Tasmania, 7310

The church of All Saints was originally a private chapel at 'Woodrising' built by Reverend Claude Roberts. The original church measured 13 x 4 meters. It has now closed and is up for sale.

Read More

Spreyton, TAS - Baptist

Spreyton, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1909

Address: 96 Mersey Main Road, , Spreyton Tasmania, 7310

The church was built entirely out of donated material. Mr J.B. Graves of the Spreyton brickworks agreed to donate 16 000 bricks on condition that the church was established debt free. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Rev F Miles August 4 1909". For a full history visit Churches of Tasmania. Click here.

Read More

St Helens, TAS - St Helena and St Stanislaus Catholic

St Helens, TAS - St Helena and St Stanislaus Catholic

Year Built: 1921

Address: 69 Cecillia Street, , St Helens Tasmania, 7216

Father Martial Mary went to live at St. Helens (George's Bay) in 1878. He built a small timber church and presbytery. One of the most prominent Catholics at St. Helens at the turn of the century was Thomas Haley, "Manager for Messrs. Thureau's Deep Lead Tin Mining Company, the Carson De Bells Wolfram Company, and the New Zealand Fire…

Read More

St Helens, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

St Helens, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 56 Cecillia Street, , St Helen's Tasmania, 7216

The earliest record of the Church having taken any interest in this district is to be found in the Church News, 4/3/1901 when it mentions that in 1871 the Rev. John Chambers made visits to St. Helens, though it is probable this gentleman made occasional visits from 1862, that being the year he took charge of Cullenswood, Fingal and…

Read More

St Leonards, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

St Leonards, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 313 St Leaonards Road , , St Leonards Tasmania, 7250

The first parish church, dedicated to St. Peter, was opened for service on April 18, 1847. The foundation stone having been laid by Archdeacon Marriott on December 9, 1846. The site was then in the middle of the sprawling "Mount Esk Estate (now Nazareth House). This advertisement appeared in "The Examiner" the following week: "Saint…

Read More

St Mary's, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

St Mary's, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: 13 Main Street, , St Marys Tasmania, 7215

Read More

St Mary's, TAS - Unknown

St Mary's, TAS - Unknown

Year Built: 1854

Address: 13 Story Street, , St Marys Tasmania, 7215

The Church has been in private hands since 2010.

Read More

St Marys, TAS - St Mary's of the Assumption

St Marys, TAS - St Mary's of the Assumption

Year Built: 1975

Address: 76 Main Street, , St Marys Tasmania, 7215

A Foundation stone reads, "The Most Rev G Young D.D. Archbishop of Hobart blessed this stone of the new St Mary's built by the people from the ashes of the old 9th May 1975".

Read More