Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Coburg, VIC - St Alban's & Augustines Merri bek Catholic

Coburg, VIC - St Alban's & Augustines Merri bek Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 250 Reynard Street, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Most Reverend J.J. Booth CMG MC DD 31st March 1957 The Reverend F.H. Morton Th Schol VICAR Wystan Widdows Architect John Newbold Builder".

Read More

Coburg, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Coburg, VIC - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: Mitchell Street, , Coburg Victoria, 3058

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 March 1920 by the Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Reverend Daniel Mannix.

Read More

Cohuna, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Cohuna, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1953

Address: Mead Street, , Cohuna Victoria, 3568

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid and blessed by Most Rev B.D. Stewart DD BA LLD Bishop of Sandhurst on 29th November 1953 Rev J.F. Egan Pastor T.A. Power Architect W.A. O'Donnell Builder". A plaque reads, " The Church of Immaculate Conception was erected in 1904. Architect was Mr A. Bode and contractor was Mr…

Read More

Colac, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Colac, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: Corner Calvert & Gellibrand Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

On February 7 1850 Reverend Nicholas Coffey applied for two acres of land in Colac for the purposes of a Church, Scholl and a clergy residence. By March of the same year approval had been given by the Colonial Secretaries office in Sydney. The population in the Colac region in 1851 was 1,199 residents. 1980. Architect was Brian Dowling.*

Read More

Corryong, VIC Sacred Heart Catholic

Corryong, VIC Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1955

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. Sacred Heart Church was solemnly blessed and opened by Most Rev Bernard Stewart DD LLB Bishop of Sandhurst December 4th 1955. Rev G.L. Sait Parish Priest Alan G. Robertson & Associated Architects".

Read More

Cowes, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Cowes, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 6 Cowes - Rhyll Road, , Cowes Victoria, 3922

Read More

Cowwarr, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Cowwarr, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Address: 13 Church Street, , Cowwarr Victoria, 3857

The Church was established in 1870.

Read More

Cressy, VIC - St Joseph's Memorial Catholic

Cressy, VIC - St Joseph's Memorial Catholic

Address: Cressy Road, , Cressy Victoria, 3322

Read More

Creswick, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Creswick, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Address: 117 Napier Street, , Creswick Victoria, 3363

Creswick Catholics were served first by priests who came form Ballarat when Ballarat itself was still part of Coburg parish. The first traceable ref isa newspaper note in 1855 was that Father Patrick Madden celebrated Mass at Creswick Creek on March 8, in the new store of Messrs. Carter and Walker. Father assisting Fr. Smyth. The latter…

Read More

Croydon, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Croydon, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1939

Address: 35 Wicklow Avenue, , Croydon Victoria, 3136

The Sacred Heart Croydon Monastery was officially opened on Monastery Hill by Archbishop Mannix in April 1939 - a new seminary for the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. The complex featured a chapel, library, cloisters, classrooms, refectory, kitchens and domestic offices. From its very origins, Monastery Hill has been a place where the…

Read More

Dandenong North, VIC - Parish of St Gerard Majella Catholic

Dandenong North, VIC - Parish of St Gerard Majella Catholic

Address: 71 Gladstone Road, , Dandenong North Victoria, 3175

The Blessing of the site for the new Church took place on Sunday 20th October 1968 by Bishop Moran D.D. The church was built of modular steel and is dominated by a 50 ft. steeple. It was built by Kurth Bros. Pty. Ltd. of Mentone, and accommodates a congregation of 750.

Read More

Dandenong, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Dandenong, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 160 Foster Street, , Dandenong Victoria, 3175

The present site was obtained in 1855 and the First Mass was said there in December 1864 by the same Archbishop in a tent. The next day, he laid the first stone for the first St. Mary’s Church, which was completed in 1866.

Read More

Daylesford, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Daylesford, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1863

Address: 13 Duke Street, , Daylesford Victoria, 3460

A Gothic church designed by Willilam Wardell in 1863 rather in the manner of Charles Hansom, but later degraded by the rebuilding of the west end after the collapse of the west wall and turret, The church is a simple form with a five bay gabled nave containing geometric decorated gothic windows and stepped buttressing. The gable roof…

Read More

Daylston, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic (Former)

Daylston, VIC - Holy Cross Catholic (Former)

Address: 72 Daylston Glen Forbes Road, , Dalyston Victoria, 3992

In 1901, the church was built on land donated by Mr P.J. Daly of 'Cloverdale'. It was opened in February 1902. It is now a Function centre and privately owned. The former Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church and presbytery are an subsantialy intact example of a rural church with simple Gothic revival detailing. The church is also notable for…

Read More

Deepdene, VIC - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Deepdene, VIC - Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 10 Whitehorse Road, , Deepdene Victoria, 3103

The first building, on the Whitehorse Rd site, which is now part of the school, was used by the parish as both a church and school. The foundation stone of the first church was blessed by Archbishop Mannix on 26 November 1922. The construction of the current church began in the 1950s, when Fr Godwin was the parish priest. It was…

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Derrinallum, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 December 1922 by most Reverend Dr Foley Bishop of Ballarat.

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Diamond Creek, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Gipson Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

Read More

Dingee, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic (Former)

Dingee, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic (Former)

Address: 16 Mack Street, , Dingee Victoria, 3571

Read More

Dingley, VIC - St Mark's Catholic

Dingley, VIC - St Mark's Catholic

Year Built: 1999

Address: 10 Dimar Court, , Dingley Victoria, 3172

A Foundation stone reads, " This Church of St Mark's was blessed ans consecrated to the greater honour and glory of God and the salvation of man on April 25tn 1999 by his Lordship Bishop Denis J. Hart D.D. with the dedication of the parishioners of St Mark's. Fr Anthony P Fox O.F.M. Conv Parish Priest. Fr Joseph Nguyen O.F.M. Conv…

Read More

Donald, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Donald, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: Corner Wood & Campbell Streets, , Donald Victoria, 3480

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - St Peter and Paul's Catholic

Doncaster East, VIC - St Peter and Paul's Catholic

Address: 23 Leeds Street, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Fr. Gleeson, the Parish Priest of Box Hill, purchased the present site of St Peter and Paul's in 1948 for 2,500 pounds, adjacent to a large block which had been bought in the post-war years by the government for release as housing sites for returned servicemen.

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - St Gregory the Great Catholic

Doncaster, VIC - St Gregory the Great Catholic

Year Built: 1983

Address: 71 Williamsons Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The Church was designed by architect Graeme Law and built by John Bergamin. It was dedicated by Archbishop Little on 17 December, 1983. The main structure of the roof is in the form of a cross and the lighting adds emphasis to it. A plaque on the wall reads, "On the Feast of St. Gregory the Great, to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary…

Read More

Dookie, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Dookie, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1898

Address: 93 Saddleback Road, , Dookie Victoria, 3646

The Church name was changed to St Mary's around 1890. The current Church was designed by Messrs Kempson and Connolly with a cost of £2,000. Of Gothic style it was to have a length of 72 feet a depth of 25 feet with a depth across the transepts of 51 feet. The brick walls were to have cement dado to a height of 4 feet 6ins running around…

Read More

Dromana, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic

Dromana, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic

Year Built: 1993

Address: Foote Street, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

The first church was dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour and completed at a cost of £1,343 on which a debt of £100 remained. It was opened and blessed by the Very Rev. Dean Phelan on Palm Sunday April 5th 1903. He was assisted by Fr. O'Hagan, then parish priest of Mornington, who gave a brief resume of the efforts of the local…

Read More

Drouin, VIC - St Ita's Catholic

Drouin, VIC - St Ita's Catholic

Year Built: 2007

Address: Victoria Street, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

Church was opened on 16 December 2007 by the Bishop of Sale the Right Rev Jeremiah Coffey D.D. The Architects were Graeme Law and Associates and built by McCorkell Constructions.

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Drysdale, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Address: 37 Wyndham Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

Read More

Dunnstown, VIC - St Brendan's Catholic

Dunnstown, VIC - St Brendan's Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Address: 3 Ti Tree Road, , Dunnstown Victoria, 3352

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by The Most Revd Joseph Higgins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat Novr 19th 1905 The Revd D.J. Devane Pastor".

Read More

Eaglehawk, VIC - St Liborius Catholic

Eaglehawk, VIC - St Liborius Catholic

Year Built: 1869

Address: 50 Panton Street, , Eaglehawk Victoria, 3556

On January 31st 1869 The right Reverend Dr Goold, Catholic Bishop of Melbourne with Dr Backhaus and Rev. Dean Fitzgerald, opened the new Roman Catholic Church at Eaglehawk, named St Liborius.

Read More

East Bentleigh, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

East Bentleigh, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 844 Centre Road, , East Bentleigh Victoria, 3165

The present parish of St. Peter's was originally part of Brighton Parish (Est. 1853) and later included in St. Paul's, Bentleigh Parish (Est. 1928). The first Church building in this area was a small wooden school house and hall erected in February, 1865 on Centre Road, opposite the present Moorabbin Hospital. A brick school building…

Read More

East Brunswick, VIC - Our Lady of Help Christians Catholic

East Brunswick, VIC - Our Lady of Help Christians Catholic

Address: 878 Nicholson Street, , East Brunswick Victoria, 3057

In January 1911, the Archbishop of Melbourne, Archbishop Carr appointed Fr Joseph King as founder and first parish priest of the new parish of Our Lady Help of Christians East Brunswick. Fr King celebrated the first Masses in the parish on 22 January 1911, on an altar made up of packing cases, in Excelsior Hall at 767 Nicholson Street.

Read More

East Camberwell, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic

East Camberwell, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: 816 Riversdale Road, , East Camberwell Victoria, 3126

In 1924, the Dominican Fathers took possession of Sir John Higgins' residence (now the front section of the Priory) and the first Parish Mass was celebrated in the front parlour on March 16th that year. Twenty nine people were present. The Church is built of rock-faced basalt ashlar with fine French detailing done in sandstone. The…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Holy Eucharist Catholic

East Malvern, VIC - Holy Eucharist Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: 1241 Dandenong Road, , Malvern East Victoria, 3145

A Foundation stone was laid on 12 September 1962 by the Archbishop of Melbourne J.D. Simonds D.D. The church, designed by architects Alan Robertson & Associates and built by Holywood Constructions, cost £55,000. It was blessed and officially opened by Archbishop Simonds in September 1962. Holy Eucharist and St. Mary's Malvern East are…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 91 Manning Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

In 1891, on Sunday, December 13th, Archbishop Thomas Carr blessed and opened a new timber station church (on the site of the current presbytery) for the parish of St. Stephen’s, Oakleigh at a place named Emo, after the Emo Estate. Today, on that same block of land purchased for £542, the buildings of St. Mary’s Catholic Parish stand. They…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

East Melbourne, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Gisborne Street & Cathedral Place, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

St Patrick's Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia, and seat of its archbishop. In 1847 the Colonial Secretary granted two acres of land for a church on Eastern Hill, where St Patrick's Cathedral now stands and by 1850 an additional two acres were granted. In 1848,…

Read More

Echuca, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Echuca, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: Corner Percy & Hare Street, , Echuca Victoria, 3564

The first St Mary's was a wooden structure built in 1866 on the same location as todays Church stands. The work that was completed by 1877 embraced a Nave 28' wide by 15' long, intercepted by transepts 75' by 24' from which projected ar octagonal apse 28' by 22. The work was completed in 1889 by the removal of the older wooden portion…

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - St Malachy's Catholic

Edenhope, VIC - St Malachy's Catholic

Address: 67 Elizabeth Street, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

Read More

Eganstown, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Eganstown, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Address: 3884 Midland Highway, , Eganstown Victoria, 3461

The St Francis Xavier Chapel and Catholic Cemetery was established on land donated by squatter John Egan. It was built between 1865 - 1867.

Read More

Eldorado, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Eldorado, VIC - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1868

Address: 156 Main Street, , Eldorado Victoria, 3746

Read More

Elmore, VIC - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Elmore, VIC - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner of Hervey & Clarke Streets, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

The first Catholic Church was erected in 1896 on the triangular block opposite the present church where the Office of Housing flats now stand. It was a weatherboard building. The parish was established n 1902 with Monsignor Rooney as Parish Priest. The Foundation stone of the present Church was blessed by Rev S. Reville DD OSA second…

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1897

Address: 71 Orrong Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 November 1897 by his Grace the Most Reverend T.J. Carr D.D.

Read More