Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria, Denomination: Roman Catholic


Newstead, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Newstead, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Address: 16 Simpson Street, , Newstead Victoria, 3462

Read More

Nhill, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Nhill, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: 33 Leahy Street, , Nhill Victoria, 3418

The original church was destroyed by a cyclone on 19 November 1897. Plans for a new church were supplied by Michael Ryan. Brickwork was carried out by W.A. Lamber and James Fyvie, carpentry and plumbing by W.G. Gunn and the bricks were supplied by Sawyer and Co of Horsham. Work commenced in August 1898 and the dedication service ok…

Read More

Noble Park, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Noble Park, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Address: 90 Buckley Street, , Noble Park Victoria, 3174

The first Catholic Mass was celebrated in Noble Park in 1918 by Fr Francis Merner from St Mary's. By 1919 a block of land in Joy Parade, Noble Park was purchased (where the existing Uniting Church now stands). In 1961 St Anthony's Church number three was constructed. Archbishop Justin Simonds blessed and opened the new Church. On…

Read More

Norlane, VIC - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Norlane, VIC - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Address: Corner Plume & Gerbera Streets, , Norlane Victoria, 3214

Read More

North Fitzroy, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

North Fitzroy, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1870

Address: 378 Nicholson Street, , North Fitzroy Victoria,

The foundation stone of St Brigid's Church was laid in 1869, North Fitzroy however the parish did not become a separate entity until 1883. A Church constructed of bluestone with cement dressings, in the Decorated Gothic style. The original nave was designed by architect T.A. Kelly and built in 1870, with the two aisles added in 1881 and…

Read More

North Geelong, VIC - St John the Evangelist Catholic

North Geelong, VIC - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: 19 St David Street, , North Geelong Victoria, 3215

The land had cost £1080 in 1920; the building £3,700, furniture and fencing £800 in 1935. Much of the latter money had been raised by Ashby parishioners by Queen Competitions, Parish Balls and lesser functions, so that they developed a proprietary interest in the project. The architect Mr C. Kelly designed a Romanesque building which…

Read More

North Melbourne, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

North Melbourne, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: Corner Dryburgh & Brougham Streets, , North Melbourne Victoria, 3051

The Church was designed by the Melbourne Architects Grainger, Kennedy and Little. The Architects drawing's show a spire on the corner and mulit coloured brick work across the facade. The spire was never built. The cost of the building was 7,250 and was built by Tom Saunders of Carlton. The Foundation stone was laid in June 1907 and the…

Read More

Northcote, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Northcote, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 140 Westbourne Grove, , Northcote Victoria, 3070

The first Northcote Catholic Church services were held in 1891 in a small wooden church in Arthurton Road. In 1897 a more suitable site for a church was chosen and on January 15 1899, St Josephs was opened at 140 Westbourne Grove, Ruckers Hill. A Foundation stone in Latin reads in part, A.M.D.G. Revd Thomas Joseph Carr Archbishop…

Read More

Nullawil, VIC - St Josephs Catholic

Nullawil, VIC - St Josephs Catholic

Address: 22 North Road, , Nullawil Victoria, 3529

Read More

Numurkah, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Numurkah, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: 16 Tocumwal Road, , Numurkah Victoria, 3636

A Foundation stone reads, " St John Bts Church This stone was laid by the Right Revd S Reville O.S.A. Bishop of Sandhurst 23rd March 1902 Jas P.M. Carthy C.C. John A Clarke Architect John C Duncan Contractor".

Read More

Oakleigh, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Oakleigh, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1923 - 26

Address: 76 Warrigal Road, , Oakleigh Victoria, 3166

The Church was opened in 1926. The parishes of Oakleigh and Oakleigh East were twinned in 2006. A Foundation stone reads, " Memorial stone of this Church erected in honour of the Sacred Heart of Jesus was blessed and laid by The Most Revd Daniel Mannix DD LDD on 27th May 1923 R Harper Architect Revd Thomas Quinn PP".

Read More

Orbost, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Orbost, VIC - St Colman's Catholic

Address: 4 Raymond Street, , Orbost Victoria, 3888

Read More

Ormond, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Ormond, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 76 Glen Orme Avenue, , Ormond Victoria, 3204

A Foundation stone reads, " This Church was blessed and opened by his Grace The Most Rev D Mannix D.D. LLD Archbishop of Melbourne on December 4th 1955 Rev J OBrien P.P. ".

Read More

Park Orchards, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Park Orchards, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1943

Address: 54 Knees Road, , Park Orchards Victoria, 3114

A plaque outside the church reads, " In June 1970, a Catholic church with an interesting history opened its doors on Knees Road. It was originally constructed at Camp Pell in Melbourne's Royal Park which accommodated American troops stationed in Australia throughout World War II. It was the only purpose built Australian Army chapel. All…

Read More

Parkville, VIC - Mar Thoma Syrian Christian

Parkville, VIC - Mar Thoma Syrian Christian

Address: 149 Royal Parade, , Parkville Victoria, 3052

The College Church congregation initially worshipped in Ormond College in 1891. In 1895 they purchased the site of the present building. Architects were R.A. Lawson. The building, constructed by Lang Brothers of Parkville at a cost of 2,170, and was opened in 1898. The church is constructed of red brick and Oamaru sandstone with a…

Read More

Pascoe Vale, VIC - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Pascoe Vale, VIC - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Landells Road, , Pascoe Vale Victoria, 3044

A Foundation stone reads, " Blessed Oliver Plunket Church Blessed and opened by Most Rev Arthur Francis Fox D.D. Auxiliary to His Grace Archbishop Mannix 9th July 1961 - Rev Fr T. Keogh P.P.".

Read More

Paynesville, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Paynesville, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: King Street, , Paynesville Victoria, 3880

Read More

Paynsville, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Paynsville, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: 47 - 49 King Street, , Paynsville Victoria, 3880

Read More

Pirron Yallock, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Pirron Yallock, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: Princes Highway, , Pirron Yallock Victoria, 3249

Read More

Port Melbourne, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Port Melbourne, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: 95 Stokes Street, , Port Melbourne Victoria, 3207

Opened in 1881. Refurbished in 1999. On 7 May 1882 the Carmelites celebrate their first Mass in St Joseph's Church, Port Melbourne, Fathers Butler and Shaffrey having accepted charge of the newly-formed parish of Sandridge. Fr John Scanlon was prior and parish priest in Port Melbourne from 1909-1919, and after his term of office in…

Read More

Preston, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Preston, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 333 Bell Street, , Preston Victoria, 3072

The first Church was built in 1889 in Bell Street and Archbishop Carr officiated at the opening. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 October 1925 by the Most Reverend Dr McCarthy Bishop of Sandhurst. The Architect was W. P. Connelly while the builder was Reynolds Brothers. The old wooden church met the needs of the congregation until…

Read More

Purnim, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Purnim, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 1716 Hopkins Highway, , Purnim Victoria, 3278

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 May 1940 by the most Reverend D. Foley D.D. Bishop of Ballarat.

Read More

Pyramid Hill, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Pyramid Hill, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1928

Address: 5 Victoria Street, , Pyramid Hill Victoria, 3575

A Foundation stone reads, " This Memorial stone of St Patrick's Church was blessed and laid on 23rd of May 1928 by Most Rev John McCarthy DD Bishop of Sandhurst Rev James Gremin Pastor".

Read More

Queenscliff, VIC - Holy Trinity Catholic

Queenscliff, VIC - Holy Trinity Catholic

Year Built: 1851

Address: 34 Stevens Street, , Queenscliff Victoria, 3225

The first Mass in Queenscliff was held in 1851. In 1854, an initial application for land "for a church, school and a clergyman's House" was rejected but a second application in March 1855 was successful and land was set aside in Stevens Street.* An appeal for funds went further than the local area and Pilot O'Neill who was…

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - Holy Name Catholic

Reservoir, VIC - Holy Name Catholic

Address: 28 Robb Street, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The foundations of the parish were laid in pre-war days when the late Father O'Grady purchased land in Robb St, for future developments. On 2nd April 1939, His Grace, Archbishop Mannix blessed and opened the Church-School, with sanctuary, sacristy and three classrooms. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone symbol of Christ Chief corner…

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St Gabriel's Catholic

Reservoir, VIC - St Gabriel's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner of Spring & Viola Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The parish was founded in 1936. The first recorded Mass in Reservoir was celebrated about 1919 1920 in what was then the Church of England Hall. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace Archbishop Simonds on 24 January 1960. The church was built by Fred Dixon. The original name for the parish decided by the late Father Ryan of…

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St Joseph the Worker Catholic

Reservoir, VIC - St Joseph the Worker Catholic

Address: 79 Wilson Boulevard, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The parish began on 4 February 1970 when it was cut off from the neighbouring parish of St Gabriel’s in Spring Street Reservoir. On 8 August 1971, Archbishop Knox blessed and opened the first Church which now serves as the parish hall. The Church was opened on 1 May 1990 by Archbishop Frank Little.

Read More

Richmond, VIC - St Ignatius Catholic

Richmond, VIC - St Ignatius Catholic

Year Built: 1867

Address: Richmond Hill Church Street, , Richmond Victoria, 3121

The church was designed by English born architect William Wardell who had already made a name for himself in England and was also responsible for many of Melbourne's most important early buildings including St Patrick's Cathedral. Like St Patrick's it is in the Gothic Revival style and constructed from local bluestone. The foundation…

Read More

Riddells Creek, VIC - St Ambrose Catholic

Riddells Creek, VIC - St Ambrose Catholic

Address: Sutherlands Road, , Riddells Creek Victoria, 3431

Read More

Ringwood North, VIC - Holy Spirit Catholic

Ringwood North, VIC - Holy Spirit Catholic

Address: 120 Oban Road, , Ringwood North Victoria, 3134

Read More

Ringwood, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic

Ringwood, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic

Address: 14 Bedford Road, , Ringwood Victoria, 3134

A Foundation stone on the rear Hall reads, "This stone was laid and blessed by The Archbishop of Melbourne Most Rev D.D. Mannix D.D. L.L. November 24th 1929".

Read More

Robinvale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Robinvale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 19 Watkin Street, , Robinvale Victoria,

Read More

Rochester, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Rochester, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1910

Address: 22 Fraser Street, , Rochester Victoria, 3561

The first church Church was blessed and opened on 10th July 1881. A Foundation stone was laid on 16 January 1910. R.E. Symons and Co were the builders and A.A. Feltch were the Architects. The cost of the church was £3,730 and was built by Messrs Moore Bros and Symonds of Echuca. The Church was built of brick with a Romanesque style.…

Read More

Romsey, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Romsey, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: Main Street, , Romsey Victoria, 3434

The first services in the Romsey district were conducted by Father Michael Brannigan in early 1860 in the house of Owen Doolan. A weatherboard church was built in 1868 and demolished in 1967. A new church in the Gothic style and built of brick with a tiled roof was erected in 1924. The Foundation stone was laid on 7 September 1924 by the…

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Rosanna, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 292 Lower Plenty Road, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

The idea of a Church in Rosanna was formed on the Macleod railway station in 1954 and the first meeting of the Macleod Catholic building group was held in the pavilion of the Macleod Rosanna football ground. Early services were held in the Rosanna Macleod RSL hall. Search for a parish site began in early 1956. Four blocks of land in…

Read More

Rosebud, VIC - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Rosebud, VIC - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Address: 16 Hinton Street, , Rosebud Victoria, 3939

Read More

Rosedale, VIC - St Rose of Lima Catholic

Rosedale, VIC - St Rose of Lima Catholic

Address: 2 Queen Street, , Rosedale Victoria, 3847

Read More

Rupanyup, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic (Former)

Rupanyup, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic (Former)

Address: 8 Frayne Avenue, , Rupanyup Victoria, 3388

From the Rupanyup Spectator, On Sunday last the new Roman Catholic Church at Rupanyup was formally opened and blessed by His Lordship the Bishop of Ballarat (Doctor Higgins), this being his first visit to this portion of the diocese. At 8.30 a.m. Mass was celebrated by the Bishop, at which there was a good attendance, but at 11…

Read More

Rushworth, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Rushworth, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1897

Address: 13 Phillips Street, , Rushworth Victoria, 3612

The first Roman Catholic church was planned in 1861 on the corner of School and Moora Streets, but was eventually burnt down. A new location was found at the corner of Phillips and Hume Streets. The foundation stone for this church was laid by the very Reverend TJ O'Connell on 16 September 1896. The construction was completed in 1897.

Read More

Rutherglen, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Rutherglen, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 82 High Street, , Rutherglen Victoria, 3685

A Foundation stone on the church reads, " St Mary's Church consecrated by th e Most Reverend Bernard D. Stewart D.D. A.L.L.B. Bishop of Sandhurst opened for the public worship of God and the honour of the blessed Virgin by the same Bishop September 15th 1963 Rev Francis J Owens Pastor". A Latin foundation stone reads "ecclesiae s.…

Read More