Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

State: Victoria


Beaufort, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Beaufort, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Livingstone Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Address: Hill Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Beaufort, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Address: Leichardt Street, , Beaufort Victoria, 3373

Read More

Beaumaris, VIC - Baptist

Beaumaris, VIC - Baptist

Address: 223 Balcombe Road, , Beaumaris Victoria, 3193

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Beechworth, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Ford & Church Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

The first Rector was The Reverend Cooper Searle and a rectory was built for him in 1855. At the time the present church hall was the first church building. The Victorian Government provided two-thirds of the building costs for the current church. The Church was erected in two stages. The foundation stone for the first stage, comprising…

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Beechworth, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Address: 26 Ford Street, , Beeckworth Victoria, 3747

A new Church building was opened in 1878.

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Beechworth, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Corner Ford & Williams Streets, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

St Andrew's Church was built by the Scottish and Ulster Presbyterians who settled in north-east Victoria in the mid-nineteenth century. The church is a five-bay Gothic Revival design of cement stucco, built in 1857. It was designed by local architect Thomas Turnbull and built by Smith, Bank and Cranston. The building comprises an…

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Beechworth, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: Church Street, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

A reference in the Argus Newspaper intimates that a weatherboard chapel was being erected in 1855. The Church was dedicated on Saturday March 2 1872.

Read More

Belgrave South, VIC - Baptist

Belgrave South, VIC - Baptist

Address: 144 Belgrave Hallam Road, , Belgrave South Victoria, 3160

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Belgrave, VIC - St Thomas the More Catholic

Belgrave, VIC - St Thomas the More Catholic

Address: 17 Terry Avenue, , Belgrave Victoria, 3160

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Bellbrae, VIC - Uniting

Bellbrae, VIC - Uniting

Address: 5 School Road, , Bellbrae Victoria, 3228

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church.

Read More

Belmont, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Belmont, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Address: Corner Regent & Thompson Streets, , Belmont Victoria, 3216

In September 1890 the Reverends John Cameron wrote to the Register of the Diocese recommending the purchase of land n the Colac road and indicating the hope that a small successful church of a permanent character could be built as the place increased in population. An Architect's plan for a building estimated to cost £350 was drawn up…

Read More

Belmont, VIC - Uniting

Belmont, VIC - Uniting

Address: Thomson Street, , Belmont Victoria, 3216

The first Methodist Church service in Belmont was held in the home of Mr. Caldwell in the ealy 1880's. By the 3rd of May 1891 first service was held in the new church built in High Street – south of Mt. Pleasant Road. For further history visit the church website here.

Read More

Benalla, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Benalla, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1860

Address: 67 Arundel Street, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The earliest church services for Church of England (Anglicans) in Benalla was recorded in 1849 when Bishop Perry of Melbourne visited the settlement. The service was performed in the original court house. By 1854 an allotment of land at the corner of Bridge, Thomas and Martin Place had been set aside for a church, school and hall.* The…

Read More

Benalla, VIC - Lutheran

Benalla, VIC - Lutheran

Year Built: 1987

Address: 154 Waller Street, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The church was opened and dedicated by Reverend M. V. Jordan President of the Victorian District on 26 April 1987.

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Church & Mitchell Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The Foundation stone was laid David Maughan Esq on 17 May 1905.

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: Corner Wedge & Arundel Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The Church was completed in 1908 in a Romanesque style. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne on 21 July 1907. The Pastor was In 1989 a fire destroyed a large part of the building with many parts being replaced. This included the pressed steel roof.

Read More

Benalla, VIC - Uniting

Benalla, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Church & Carrier Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

Formerly a Methodist church. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John W. Rowse President of the Victorian and Tasmanian Conference on 26 March 1930. The architect was A.S. Eggleston and the builder was R. Mould.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Bendigo, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1930

Address: 26 Myers St, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

A Foundation stone was laid by Mrs William Hunter on 22 March 1930. The Architects of the current Church were G.D. Garvin and C Eathorne. A stuccoed brick church of 1930, which is quite idiosyncratic in detail and gains its distinctive character from the eclectic and not entirely felicitous low relief cement decoration.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1897

Address: 35 - 41 Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were preparred for the demolition of the church and…

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Bendigo, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Address: 487 Napier Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1873

Address: Myer's Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

The cathedral was designed by the architect Robert A. Love. The nave was dedicated in November 1868, the bell tower in 1873 and the chancel and transepts in 1927. Originally a parish church, St Paul's became the diocese's cathedral in 1981. The building is constructed of red brick with stone dressings in an early Gothic style and is…

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - Uniting

Bendigo, VIC - Uniting

Address: Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bentleigh, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: Corner Tucker & Centre Roads, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St Paul's Catholic

Bentleigh, VIC - St Paul's Catholic

Year Built: 1960

Address: 122 Jasper Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

A foundation stone reads " This stone symbol of Christ, Chief corner stone of the church was blessed and set by His Grace Archbishop Simonds 13th November 1960, T O'Sullivan P.P. S. J. Morgan and Associates Architect H.P. Yunken Pty Ltd Builder".

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St Raphael, Nicholas & Irene Greek Orthodox

Bentleigh, VIC - St Raphael, Nicholas & Irene Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1928

Address: 531 Centre Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 June 1928.

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - Uniting

Bentleigh, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1968

Address: 497 Centre Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1968 by H.V. Barnett. The Architect was John Scarborough.

Read More

Berrybank, VIC - Uniting

Berrybank, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Foxhow Road, , Berrybank Victoria, 3323

The former church was destroyed by fire on 14 January 1944. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 21 April 1954 by William M Clark. The Architect was Keith Reid while the builder was A McHolson.

Read More

Berwick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Berwick, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

The first Anglican services held in Berwick took place in 1866 on the site of the (present) Presbyterian Church. A Foundation stone was laid on 5 December 1876.

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Berwick, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 105 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first service was held in 1856 in Narre Warren at the residence of Mr Catenach on a fortnightly basis for about a year and then moved to a hut in Berwick owned by a Mr Gardiner. The Church is the oldest church in Berwick, and the congregation was founded amongst Scottish and English settlers in 1857 by Rev Alexander Duff, an Irish…

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 125 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first church, built of weatherboard, was erected in 1870. It was originally part of the Brighton Parish. St. Michael's Parish was established in 1956, having previously been part of the parish of Dandenong. In 1956 it became part of the Diocese of Sale. The current Church was opened on 29 April 1984 and was blessed by the Bishop of…

Read More

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic

Year Built: 1886

Address: Bridge Street, , Bethanga Victoria, 3691

Read More

Birchip, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Birchip, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 2 Corack Road, , Birchip Victoria, 3483

Read More

Birchip, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Birchip, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1988

Address: 1 Rundle Street, , Birchip Victoria, 3483

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Anglican church of St Paul the Apostle was consecrated on 2nd October 1988 by the Rt Revd O.S. Heywood M.A. Bishop of Bendigo (Foundations were blessed on 8th November 1987) This building replaces the original which was dedicated 28 July 1896 by th RT Revd H.E. Cooper M.A. Assistant…

Read More

Birchip, VIC - Uniting

Birchip, VIC - Uniting

Address: 31 Duncan Street, , Birchip Victoria, 3483

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Blackburn North, VIC - Newhope Baptist

Blackburn North, VIC - Newhope Baptist

Address: 3 Springfield Road, , Blackburn North Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blackburn North, VIC - St Alfred's Anglican

Blackburn North, VIC - St Alfred's Anglican

Address: 107 Springfield Road, , Blackburn North Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - Presbyterian

Blackburn, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 53 Gadenia Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Blackburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: 5 Queens Street, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

The Government granted land in 1861 to the Church of England in Bedford Street - an area which stretched From the present Bedford Street, Box Hill to Canterbury Road, then called Delaney's Road. Charles Bedford was Secretary to the Vestry of the local Church of England for many years. The Bedford Road Church was a brick building also used…

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - St Thomas's Catholic

Blackburn, VIC - St Thomas's Catholic

Address: 57 Central Road, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

Read More