Year Built: 1850
Address: Bulla Road, , Bulla Victoria, 3428
The land was donated by Anne Greene of Woodlands Homestead. The foundation stone was laid by Bishop Perry on 15 January 1850 but has never been found. A Gothic church of random coursed squared bluestone rubble designed by Thomas M Taylor and opened in 1858. The church was originally situated on the corner of Oaklands and Bulla Roads.…
Year Built: 1858
Address: 1 Uniting Lane, , Bulla Victoria, 3428
Formerly a Presbyterian Church it was built between 1858 and 1859 to the design of Thomas M Taylor. Notable for its bellcote, flanking pinnacles, with meringue-like terminations and very fine window tracery, all executed in rough bluestone.
Address: Corner Thompson & Marcus Roads, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105
In 1956 the North Balwyn Church under the pastorship of Rev Smith saw the need for a church in the Bulleen area. The first service was a Sunday School service on 24 February 1960 in the home of Mr and Mrs Taylor. In the following year Church services were commenced in the home of Mr and Mrs Harrison.
Address: 1 - 9 Prospect Road, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105
Address: 169 Thompson's Road, , Bulleen Victoria, 3105
Before it was known as St. Timothy’s Anglican Church Bulleen, the Bulleen Anglican Centre was situated in an empty grocer’s shop in the Kalay Shopping Centre. The location of services was later moved to the doctor’s surgery adjacent to the original shop. On July 29, 1962, the Vicar announced that the Bishop had approved the name of…
Address: Corner Grimshaw Street & Alma Road, , Bundoora Victoria, 3083
The first recorded meeting of the parish was held on the 27th of June 1962 and the first service was held in the Bundoora Hall on August 19th 1962. On the 16th of December 1967 the corner stone for the Hall/Chapel building was laid.
Year Built: 1869
Address: 335 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352
A meeting of locals was held in November of 1865 and the committee decided to purchase land where todays church is located. The first church service was held at Mr Benham's home on 6 January 1867. In April, 1866 it was proposed that the church be of stone, 25 feet by 40 feet with a hardwood floor and shingle roof. The walls to be 18…
Year Built: 1890
Address: 184 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352
The Parish was established in 1890. A few years before in 1878 Dean Moore purchased a block of land for a church and school. This land now holds the Bungaree hall and some adjoining houses. The first recorded baptism in Bungaree was that of Ellena Rice performed by Fr J Cleary on 31 August 1890. When Fr Linane retired in 1965 Fr…
Year Built: 1902
Address: 26 A'Beckett Street, , Bunyip Victoria, 3815
The Bunyip Parish of St. Thomas' was originally part of the Gippsland Fort mission in 1879 and early church services were held In Kraft's Hall. By the early 1890': a-proper church was being planned, and fund raising began In December 1891. On 15 October 1902, Mrs W. A. A'Beckett Snr of Brighton laid the foundation block for the new…
Year Built: 1957
Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, , Camberwell South Victoria, 3124
The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 2 November 1957 by Reverend CRC Tidmarsh. The Architect was Loius Williams and the builder was CA Johnson.
Year Built: 1918
Address: 548 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124
The church is built of Barrabool stone, from Waurn Ponds, Geelong. The most prominent external feature is the cupola – the rounded copper dome adorning the church roof. The foundation stone was laid on 25 May 1913, replacing an earlier church-school building dedicated to St John Berchman opened in 1887. The cost of the building was…
Address: 552 Burke Road, , Camberwell Victoria,
The first church opened on 8 February 1863, but Anglican worship in Camberwell began in 1856 in the home of Mr. James Price in what is now Burke Road. Mr. Price, who was later known in family memory as a lay reader at St John's, possibly conducted the first worship himself. The following year, the first church, then known simply as the…
Year Built: 1926
Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124
A site at the corner of Stanhope Grove and Canterbury Road was contemplated initially. The current site was purchased at auction in 1912. The first service was conducted at 11am on Sunday 27 April 1913 when 29 people attended. At the 7pm service 55 people attended. Rev Brooksbanks conviend a public meeting in Adam's assembly hall…
Year Built: 1885
Address: 581 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124
The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for 375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of 566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…
Year Built: 1863
Address: Corner Church & Fergusson Streets, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260
The building of St Paul's Parish Church commenced in 1863 with substantial contributions from families whose descendants still worship in the parish. With local tradesmen directing the stonework and carpentry, both the church and the vicarage were completed within four months. The Church was built in three stages with chancel and…
Year Built: 1864
Address: 4 Urquhart Street, , Carisbrook Victoria, 3464
Anglican services were first held in Carisbrook in 1851. In 1854 church services and a school were conducted in the Parish Hall. In 1864 - 1866 the present blue stone church was erected. The interior was renovated in 1966 and the vestry was added in 1972. On October 2015 St Paul’s Carisbrook was deconsecrated as a place of worship,…
Year Built: 1866
Address: 351 Lygon Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053
The church was built in two stages, the first between 1866 and 1867 and the second between 1869 and 1870. It was designed by Joseph Reed and Barnes. The builder was John Pigdon. The tower at the northeast corner was never erected and in 1935 was substituted by the present porch and Bell-cote. A foundation stone was laid on 14 September…
Year Built: 1869
Address: Drummond Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053
Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church it was designed by Joseph Reed and built between 1869 and 1870. The first church, seating 120 people was opened on 17 February 1861. It cost 260 on completion. This church later became half the Sunday School Hall. Construction commenced on 29 December 1860 and it took only 6 weeks to build.
Year Built: 1938
Address: 142 Grange Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Moderator The Right Rev F.W. Bolland M.C.M.A. 5th March 1938 Rev S.A. Vertigan Minister. Architects H.H. and F.B. Kemp. Builder Norman Miller".
Year Built: 1924
Address: 371 Neerim Road, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone of the Parish Church of St Peter's built for the worship of God and the teaching of the Catholic faith was laid by Harrington Clare Archbishop of Melbourne on Whitsun Eve A.D. 1924. Pasce Oves Meas. Louis R Williams Architect, R,J, Werner Builder".
Year Built: 1909
Address: 174 Glenelg Highway, , Casterton Victoria, 3311
The first church was erected in 1865 and was opened on 1 April. The second church built in the Gothic style was opened in March 1909. The Foundation stone was laid by Mr Gillespie on Wednesday 7 October 1908.
Year Built: 1858
Address: Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450
The earliest building was constructed in 1855 as a temporary church, Sunday and day school. Designed by architect and surveyor, Clement Wilks, the foundation stone was laid on 7th March 1855. The first church building is constructed of unadorned brick and designed in a simple Georgian style. Step buttresses divide the nave into bays,…
Address: 78 Hargraves Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450
The first temporary chapel was built in 1853. The wooden church remained in service until 1857 when plans for "a magnificent cathedral in the Elizabethan style" were announced. Frederick Poepel was chosen as the architect, and the first stone laid on September 13th 1857..