Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

State: Victoria


Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Donald, VIC Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1914

Address: 20 McCulloch Street, , Donald Victoria, 3480

The first services were held in the home of Mr Thomas Bath at Swanwater West prior to 1873 and were services conducted by Ministers from St Arnaud. There were local Methodist churches in Swanwater, Jeffcott and Avon. A Church for Donald was also under consideration but an effort to raise subscriptions in November 1876 was not…

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - Baptist

Doncaster East, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 2017

Address: 103 Andersons Creek Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - Baptist

Doncaster East, VIC - Baptist

Address: 47 Tunstall Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - St David's Anglican

Doncaster East, VIC - St David's Anglican

Address: 1111 Doncaster Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster East, VIC - Uniting

Doncaster East, VIC - Uniting

Address: 152 Andersons Creek Road, , Doncaster East Victoria, 3109

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Church of Christ

Doncaster, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1956

Address: Doncaster Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first service was held in the home of Thomas Porter senr on Sunday August 30 1863. In addition to the meetings at the Porter home, gospel services were held in the Chapel owned by the Baptists who had discontinued meetings. The Church commenced in 1863 and by 1864 a small weatherboard chapel was built on the present site. In 1889 a…

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Doncaster, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Address: Church Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

Gothic Revival in design the original church had pointed arched windows, a slate roof built of dark brown brickwork and stone. The front porch was removed in the 1950's.* Largely as a result of agitation by Mr Pickering a church building committee was formed in 1867. Mr E. Tatham chaired a meeting at which subscription lists were drawn…

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Year Built: 1892

Address: 51 Victoria Street, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first church was built in 1858. The new church was built in 1892. The Architect was J.A. Koch. Built of red brick the building has rendered dressings and mouldings with a slate roof. The church has belfry made of timber with scale slates on the lower section and a cast iron wall vents at mid-wall.

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Pilgrim Uniting

Doncaster, VIC - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1970

Address: 29 Westfield Drive, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 October 1970 by H.G. Mackay B.A.

Read More

Donvale, VIC - Presbyterian

Donvale, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: McGowans Street, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

Read More

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Donvale, VIC - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1907

Address: 272 Springvale Road, , Donvale Victoria, 3111

The land at 283 Springvale Rd on which the 110 year old church and hall sits was sold to Manningham Council in the 1970’s for the use of and care by the Council. It reflects poorly on councils past that in 2006, a property heritage report was ignored and the property was sold in 2008. The Church was built by volunteer labour. At 3…

Read More

Doreen, VIC - Hazelglen Uniting

Doreen, VIC - Hazelglen Uniting

Year Built: 1872

Address: Corner Yan Yean & Chapel Road, , Doreen Victoria, 3754

The land upon which the Hazelgen Uniting Church, Mernda Parish, stands was purchased from Henry Walker for 10 shillings. The church was built in 1872. The church was built during the ministry of Wesleyan Minister, the Rev. Charles Dubourg, who also oversaw the erection of churches at Thomastown, Whittlesea and Wollert. It replaced a…

Read More

Dromana, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic

Dromana, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic

Year Built: 1993

Address: Foote Street, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 May 1993 by the most Reverend Sir T.F. Little Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner Point Nepean & Odonohue Roads, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

Construction of St Mark's of Dromana was commenced in 1892. Prior to this, regular services had been held in private homes. Between 1885 and 1892, the Union church on the corner of Heales Street and Point Nepean Road was used by the Anglican congregation. In August 1892 George Morce won the tender for the building of the new church to the…

Read More

Dromana, VIC - Uniting

Dromana, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1965

Address: 305 Point Nepean Highway, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 May 1965.

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Baptist

Drouin, VIC - Baptist

Address: 25 Bennett Street, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

The Church was opened on 19 February 1994 by the Rev John Simpson General Superintendent of Victoria.

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1936

Address: 4 Frances Avenue, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

The original Christ Church was built in 1880 on land donated on cnr Grant St and Albert Road by Mrs Richard Higgs. It was dedicated on 18 January 1880 by Dean McCartney of Melbourne. In 1888, land was purchased in Main St Drouin. By 1906 a proposal to build a new church was made after the old church was in a bad state of repairs and…

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Presbyterian

Drouin, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 1 Church Street, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

Read More

Drouin, VIC - St Ita's Catholic

Drouin, VIC - St Ita's Catholic

Year Built: 2007

Address: Victoria Street, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

Church was opened on 16 December 2007 by the Bishop of Sale the Right Rev Jeremiah Coffey D.D. The Architects were Graeme Law and Associates and built by McCorkell Constructions.

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Uniting

Drouin, VIC - Uniting

Address: 9 Sinclair Street, , Drouin Victoria, 3818

Formerly a Methodist Church.

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - St James Anglican

Drysdale, VIC - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 43 Collins Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

The Foundation stone was laid by Bishop Perry. The actual foundations of the church were completed on 18 November 1871 and construction was completed the following year.

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Drysdale, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Address: 37 Wyndham Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: High Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by Rev J.D. Dodgson Ex President of the Conference. This was the fourth site of the Wesleyan and Methodist church and was opened in 1888.

Read More

East Bentleigh, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

East Bentleigh, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Address: 844 Centre Road, , East Bentleigh Victoria, 3165

Read More

East Camberwell, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic

East Camberwell, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic

Address: 816 Riversdale Road, , East Camberwell Victoria, 3126

In 1924, the Dominican Fathers took possession of Sir John Higgins' residence (now the front section of the Priory) and the first Parish Mass was celebrated in the front parlour on March 16th that year. Twenty nine people were present.

Read More

East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: Corner Thear & McKillop Street, , East Geelong Victoria, 3219

Officially opened on 6 February 1890 by Canon Goodman Vicar of Christ Church, the original building was situated on the corner of Fitzroy Street with Services being conducted by the Vicar of Christ Church or the Curate or Mr G.F. Belcher. In 1919 negotiations were opened for the purchase of part of the old Geelong Grammar School sports…

Read More

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: Warncliffe Road, , East Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

East Ivanhoe Anglican convened a meeting on 12 December 1929 in the home of Mr A Judd in Warnclifffe Road to form a committee to arrange for church services and Sunday school classes to be held in the new area. Land owned by Mt Bainbridge in Warncliffe Road was available for a church site and an assurance was given that, if the Diocese…

Read More

East Ivanhoe, VIC - Uniting (Former)

East Ivanhoe, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1941

Address: 6 King Street, , East Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

The newer church was built in the early 1960s to replace a smaller brick church of 1941, still standing next to the new one, which the then Methodist congregation had outgrown. The Church was designed by Bates, Smart and McCutcheon in a plain but pleasing functional style; it is very similar to the Methodist church they designed in…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Olive & Darling Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 February 1960 by the Most Reverend Frank Woods D.D. M.A. The Architect was Louis Williams.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Ewing Memorial Uniting

East Malvern, VIC - Ewing Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: Corner Burke Road & Coppin Streets, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 July 1910 by the Honourable John Mark Davies M.L.C. The Builder was T Stabb and the Architect was H.W. and F.B. Tompkins.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Holy Eucharist Catholic

East Malvern, VIC - Holy Eucharist Catholic

Address: 1241 Dandenong Road, , Malvern East Victoria, 3145

A Foundation stone was laid on 12 September 1962 by the Archbishop of Melbourne J.D. Simonds D.D. The church, designed by architects Alan Robertson & Associates and built by Holywood Constructions, cost 55,000. It was blessed and officially opened by Archbishop Simonds in September 1962.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Catherine's Greek Orthodox

East Malvern, VIC - St Catherine's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1921

Address: 3 Epping Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Church was formerly the Peace Memorial Methodist Church. The Foundation stone was laid on 12 November 1921 by Reverend A.P. Bladen President of the Conference. Constructed of red brick with cement tracery, and built in 1921-2. Comprises a broad nave, aisle, chancel, vestries and imposing facade incorporating a deeply overhanging arch…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 91 Manning Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

In 1891, on Sunday, December 13th, Archbishop Thomas Carr blessed and opened a new timber station church (on the site of the current presbytery) for the parish of St. Stephen’s, Oakleigh at a place named Emo, after the Emo Estate. Today, on that same block of land purchased for £542, the buildings of St. Mary’s Catholic Parish stand. They…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Uniting

East Malvern, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: Serrell Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

One foundation stone was laid on 29 March 1958 by the Reverend G.B. Campbell.

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 193 Hotham Street, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

It is recorded the first church services were held in the school buildings on the corner of Victoria Parade and Hoddle Street. The Church was erected of bluestone and had been originally designated for a Cathedral, but Holy Trinity was erected on it with the intention that it was later to be converted to the Cathedral library or…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1852

Address: Corner Parliament & Cathedral Place, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

In 1852, a site was granted for a church at 22-36 Parliament Place, East Melbourne by Governor La Trobe. The original 1853 structure was built by William Hellings to the specifications of architects Bellairs, Krsteiner & Co and was replaced in 1874 by a bluestone church, designed by Charles Blachmann, which houses an historic organ.…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

Year Built: 1883

Address: Corner Powlett & Hotham Streets, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

An article in the Melbourne Argus newspaper of 10 October 1881 reads, "A section of the congregation of Chalmera' Church having been granted permission by the Presbetry of Melbourne to form themselves into a separate congregation, they met for the first time yesterday morning, at the Orderly room, corner of Powlett-street and…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

East Melbourne, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Gisborne Street & Cathedral Place, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

St Patrick's Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia, and seat of its archbishop. In 1847 the Colonial Secretary granted two acres of land for a church on Eastern Hill, where St Patrick's Cathedral now stands and by 1850 an additional two acres were granted. In 1848,…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

East Melbourne, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Albert and Gisborne street, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

In September and October 1843 the Bishop of Australia, Dr William Grant Broughton visited Port Phillip and suggested there should be a second Anglican church in Melbourne. The foundation stone was laid on 18 June 1846 by the Superintendent of the settlement, Charles Joseph La Trobe. Dr Broughton had hoped to be present for the occasion…

Read More