Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Bridgewater, SA - Anglican

Address: Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 15 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid in 1961. Extensions to the church were made in 2002.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 1 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 March 1966 by the most Reverend J.W. Gleeson C.M.G. Co Adjutor Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 407 Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Originally a Methodist Church. The foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1929 by Miss Carvosso.

Read More

Bridgewater, TAS - St Paul's Catholic

Bridgewater, TAS - St Paul's Catholic

Address: Paice Street, , Bridgewater Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Bridgewater, TAS, St Mary's Anglican

Address: 19 Old Main Road, , Bridgewater Tasmania, 7140

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bridport, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: 99 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

A wooden church with an iron roof. It was built in 1931 and the chancel and first bay of the nave were dedicated the same year. The church was designed and built by local contractors and was dedicated by Bishop Hay on Sunday 19 July 1931. A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. In Fid D.N.I.C. Apidis SVMM Anglvaris X1V KAL IVN A.D.…

Read More

Bridport, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Bridport, TAS - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 15 Westwood Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

Read More

Bridport, TAS - Uniting

Bridport, TAS - Uniting

Address: 2 Main Street, , Bridport Tasmania, 7262

Read More

Bright, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Bright, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Address: 1 Church Street, , Bright Victoria, 3741

Read More

Bright, VIC - Our Lady of the Snows Catholic

Bright, VIC - Our Lady of the Snows Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: Coronation Avenue, , Bright Victoria, 3741

A Foundation stone reads, " Our Lady of the Snows, This Church was consecrated by The Most Rev Francis Thomas DD BA DOEC Bishop of Geraldton W.A. on the 1st May 1966 in the presence of The Most Rev Bernard D. Stewart DD LLB Bishop of Sandhurst Rev B.A. Thomas P.P.".

Read More

Bright, VIC - Uniting

Bright, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: Ireland Street, , Bright Victoria, 3741

The first church was a wooden structure with a shingle roof and situated behind present-time "Outdoor & Disposals." Later when this land was sold, probably to finance our present building, it was transferred to behind today's church. The Foundation stone of the new brick church was laid by Mrs Worth on 10th day of March, 1884. The…

Read More

Brighton Beach, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Brighton Beach, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 77 Were Street, , Brighton Beach Victoria, 3186

In the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Brighton Beach’s Anglicans worshipped at St Peter’s Chapel of Ease in Lynch Street, which formed part of the Parish of Saint Andrews in Brighton.

Read More

Brighton, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Brighton, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 44 North Road, , Brighton Queensland, 4017

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by Reginald Archbishop of Brisbane 14th November 1959 J.L. Farrell and J.G. Taylor Church Wardens J.C. Thomson Rector".

Read More

Brighton, SA - Church of Christ

Brighton, SA - Church of Christ

Address: 65 Sturt Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Read More

Brighton, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Brighton, SA - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1964

Address: Strathmore Terrace, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1964 by the Right Reverend W.J. Russell V.G.

Read More

Brighton, SA - St Jude's Anglican

Brighton, SA - St Jude's Anglican

Address: 443 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Read More

Brighton, SA - Uniting

Brighton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1864

Address: 442 Brighton Road, , Brighton South Australia, 5048

Built as a Methodist Church, the foundation stone was laid on the 1st of May, 1864. It was the for runner of the first church built in Sturt Road in 1847. The first members of the church met in private homes on Sturt Road. As a rural community the first service was held in the 1840's in a dugout with an upturned boat serving as a roof.…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - Baptist

Brighton, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1851

Address: 164 Bay Road, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Church was formed in September of 1851.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Brighton, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Year Built: 1923

Address: 58 Wilson Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

A Brighton Church of Christ was first established in 1859. A Foundation stone in part reads, " Church of Christ Est in Brighton 1859 For the Glory of God and the salvation of Men, That they will all be one, just as you and I are one — as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1896

Address: Corner North & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq. John Knox church (built 1876) Original Architect - Charles Webb

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Brighton, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1850

Address: Corner Church & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

In 1842, the first St Andrew's Church building was opened on 30 November. The second church was opened on 29 August 1850, The Right Reverend Charles Perry, Bishop of Melbourne, laid the foundation stone for a rectangular ironstone church, designed by architect, Melbourne city surveyor and St Andrew's parishioner, Charles Laing.[8] This…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 12 Wilson Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The earliest recorded Anglican service to be held in Brighton, formerly known as `Waterville' was held in 1842 in a simple slab and shingle home, owned by Henry Dendy, near the corner of New and Well Streets. The Reverend Adam Compton Thompson, the only clergyman in the colony at the time was the first to offer ministry in Brighton. He…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Joan of Arch Catholic

Brighton, VIC - St Joan of Arch Catholic

Year Built: 1938

Address: 118 New Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 November 1938 by the Most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architect was P.J. O'Connor.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Leonard's Uniting

Brighton, VIC - St Leonard's Uniting

Address: Corner New Street & Wolseley Grove, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Wolseley Grove site was purchased for £300. Towards this amount the people contributed £130. and the Church and Manse Loan Fund promised a loan of £200. The first intention was to build a wooden structure and Church hall at a cost of £350. The architect appointed by the meeting advised that little extra cost would be involved in…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Brighton, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican

Address: 111 North Road, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

Read More

Brighton, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Brighton, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 17 Black Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

In 1853 a Church, the Independents (later Congregational Church) began services in a tent measuring 10ft x 12ft which they erected in Carpenter street. Their Minister was the Reverend Henry Kidgell recently arrived from England. In April that year it was resolved to erect a small wooden chapel on a quarter acre block of land in Male…

Read More

Brisbane East, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Brisbane East, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Address: 20 Norman Street, , Brisbane East Queensland, 4169

The East Brisbane Primitive Methodist congregation was established in 1888, following estate sales in East Brisbane which freed up land and encouraged residential development. The parish, originally in temporary accommodation in Didsbury Street, relocated to Norman St in 1890. The church was designed by architectural firm Hall and…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - Churches of Christ

Brisbane, QLD - Churches of Christ

Address: 430 Ann Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian

Brisbane, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: 141 Ann Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

In September 1854, the congregation purchased three allotments in Ann Street. Four years later, a simple stone building in the Gothic style was erected by Joshua Jeays for a cost of £960. It was 36 by 47 feet (11 by 14 m). The church was opened on Sunday 25 July 1858 and became known as the Ann Street Presbyterian Church. On Thursday 21…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - St Andrew's Lutheran

Brisbane, QLD - St Andrew's Lutheran

Address: 25 Wickham Terrace, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

In 1857, the first Lutheran service was held in the city, and this led to the formation of the congregation in 1858. An application in 1859 secured a Crown Grant of land from the colony of New South Wales, prior to the separation of Queensland later in that year. The foundation stone of the second church was laid on the Feast Day of St…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Brisbane, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1905

Address: 299 Ann Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

The church is a well-composed building, relying more for its character relying on the intrinsic characteristics of natural materials and the bold massing of simple forms than on ornamentation and decoration, which are often characteristic of ecclesiastical architecture. The architect, was much influenced by the late Victorian interest in…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - St John's Anglican Cathedral

Brisbane, QLD - St John's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1909

Address: 373 Ann Stret, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

St John's Cathedral is unique in Australia as the completion of the building design was achieved through collaboration between clergy, stonemasons and architects over a period of almost 100 years, as with Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals in the Middle Ages and, more recently, 20th-century cathedrals such as Liverpool Cathedral in England.…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - St Stephen's Catholic Cathedral

Brisbane, QLD - St Stephen's Catholic Cathedral

Address: 249 Elizabeth Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

Work began on the little stone church in November 1848, using a design of Gothic revival architect, AWN Pugin. The first St Patrick’s Church in Fortitude Valley was a wooden structure built around 1860 with a frontage in Wickham Street, opposite where Duncan Street now adjoins it. The Church Cathedral is a gothic revival cathedral…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - Uniting

Brisbane, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: 319 Albert Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

The Church was originally known as Albert Street Methodist Church and Central Methodist Mission. It was designed by George Henry Male Addison and built from 1888 to 1889 by Thomas Pearson & Sons. The first Methodist church in Brisbane, a modest brick chapel, was constructed in 1849 on the corner of Albert Street and Burnett Lane. It…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD -St Paul's Presbyterian

Brisbane, QLD -St Paul's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 43 St Paul's Terrace, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

The congregation initially worshipped in a wooden Church in Creek Street and then built a handsome stone church in 1876. Their church building stood originally near the corner of Creek and Adelaide Streets in the city. Former Queensland Colonial Architect Francis Drummond Greville Stanley was commissioned to design a building well…

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1912

Address: Corner High & Hamilton Streets, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The original church was a small wooden Methodist church built in 1895, opened on 9 June and demolished in 1912. The Builder was Mr McDonald of Broadford. A Foundation stone was laid by M McKenzie MLA on 1 June 1912 when a newer church was erected. The builder was James Sutherland. The foundation stone was laid by MK McKenzie MLA on 1…

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Broadford, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: High Street, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The (new) Church was opened on 26 April 1874. It was built by a Mr Woods. In 1892 Kilmore and Broadford seperated and on Easter Sunday the Rev H. Braddock was inducted as Broadford's first resident Priest. The Church was consecrated 19 years after it opened by Bishop Goe.

Read More

Broadford, VIC - Uniting

Broadford, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: High Street, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

Originally a Methodist church, the Broadford Uniting Church is located next to the Library. Construction of the current building commenced in November of 1956, and the Foundation stone was laid by the President of the Conference, the Rev. Norman Lade MA, BD on 16 February 1957. The dedication of the church took place in September 1957.

Read More

Brockley, NSW - Protetant

Brockley, NSW - Protetant

Address: Brockley Road, , Brockley New South Wales, 2365

Read More