Year Built: 1966
Address: 161 Park Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192
At a meeting of the congregation on 1st February, 1865, the Rev. S. Taylor was authorized to apply for a grant of land on which to build a church. Part of the Government Reserve was chosen — the triangular piece of land on which St Matthew's now stands In 1867, a separate Parish of Cheltenham was created, and baptisms (of adults as…
Address: 501 Hamilton Road, , Chermside Queensland, 4032
About 1906-7 Church services began at Chermside in the Public Hall, later School of Arts, on the corner of Hall St and Gympie Road where the original Council Library was built in 1952. The services were conducted by the Rev Cyril Mahew from St Francis' College at Nundah.7 The church paid a rent of £1/5/0 ($2.50 or $115 in 2001 values)8…
Address: 24 Macrossan Street, , Childers Queensland, 4660
It was designed by John Hingeston Buckeridge and built from 1900 to 1958. It is a timber church constructed to the design of Anglican Church architect John H Buckeridge in 1900 is the second church to be built on the site. Initial tenders submitted for Buckeridge's design for Christ Church were considered too high and the plans were…
Year Built: 1941
Address: 44 Bruce Highway, , Childers Queensland, 4660
The Foundation stone of this Church erected to the Glory of God and in honour of the sacred heart by the people of Childers was blessed and laid by Most Rev James Duhig D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane 28 - 3 - 41. R.W. Lyons P.P.".
Year Built: 1871
Address: High Street, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683
The former Presbyterian church was erected 1871-1875 by Smith and Houston. It replaced a timber and bark structure erected in 1860 some distance west of the site. The present orange-coloured brick structure comprises a buttressed hall with the west front punctuated by a pinnacled octagonal bell-cote on the gable apex and a small…
Address: 144 North Road, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683
A Church was opened in March 1872 with dimentions of 60 x 25 feet excluding the outer and inner sanctuary. It cost £1,200. The current Church building appears to have been built in 1966. Smith and Tracey of Melbourne were the architects of the current Church and N. & M. O'Neil of Wodonga the building contractor. The church cost $54,000…
Year Built: 1870
Address: Albert Road, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683
During 1869 services were held in the Old Fellows hall. Erected over a period between 1870 and 1875, the design was adapted from a church in Ireland. Construction was by James Fitzpatrick. The Foundation stone was laid on 25 April 1870 by Sir William Foster Stawell Chief Justice of the Colony of Victoria. The architects were…
Year Built: 1852
Address: 25 Farrell Flat Road, , Clare South Australia, 5453
Built in 1851, in simple Gothic Revival design, St Barnabas was the outcome of much active lobbying by the founder of Clare, E. B. Gleeson, and other local people of influence. It is one of the earliest surviving rural Anglican churches of its type and reflects the religious aspirations of settlers at the time. Land was granted for a…
Year Built: 1947
Address: 5 Sabine Street, , Clare South Australia, 5453
On January 1, 1947 members of the UECLA living in the Clare district met in the home of Mr W.B. Wundke to discuss the formation of a Lutheran Church in Clare A building committee was formed in 1948 and plans for the church were already prepared by August of that year. The first sod was turned on 31 May 1951 with the Foundation stone being…
Address: Victoria Road, , Clare South Australia, 5453
The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1857 and listed by State Heritage. The chapel is located next to the Methodist Church which was opened in 1867. In recent times the two churches have been joined. The Foundation stone was laid on 22nd July 1866 and opened on 17th March 1867.
Year Built: 1958
Address: 27 Wyndham Road, , Claremont Tasmania, 7011
The Marist Fathers took charge of St. Bernard's Parish, Claremont, when Father O'Halloran, SM, came as parish priest in February 1958. Archbishop Guilford Young blessed and opened St. Bernard's Church, in Wyndham Road on April 20, 1958. Working bees organised by Father J. C. Wallis (Claremont was served from Glenorchy before the Marists…
Year Built: 1959
Address: Castle Street, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039
The Foundation stone was laid on 3 May 1959 by the Most Reverend M. Beovich D.D. Phd.
Year Built: 1964
Address: Dinwoodie Avenue, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039
The Foundation stone was laid on 23 February 1964 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed.
Year Built: 1889
Address: 29 Bellevue Terrace, , Clayfield Queensland, 4011
The original Scots Presbyterian Church was designed by AB Wilson, architect, and built by James Watterson in Balmain Street, Maida Hill. It was opened for worship on Sunday May 18, 1889. The congregation decided to enlarge the church in the early 1900s and this site at the corner of Bellevue Terrace and Queens Rd was acquired. The church…
Year Built: 1924
Address: 52 Orial Road, , Clayfield Queensland, 4011
The foundation stone of the new church was laid by Duhig on 10 August 1924. A sum of £1,150 was collected at the ceremony towards the cost of the building. This amount had increased to £2,400 by the church's opening. Donations ranged from small amounts to £200, including £25 from Hennessy and Hennessy, and £25 from Mrs T.C. Beirne. The…
Year Built: 1899
Address: 23 Victoria Street, , Clayfield Queensland, 4011
The Church was designed in 1899 by J.H. Buckeridge, the Brisbane Anglican Diocesan Architect. The church was situated originally in Franz Road, but was moved to its current location in December 1920.
Year Built: 1960
Address: 103 Bonney Avenue, , Clayfield Queensland, 4011
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Greater Glory of God the War Memorial Church of Saint Mark the Evangelist. This stone was set and blessed by John Coadjutor Bishop of Brisbane on the twentieth day of October 1960. Rev CJE Hogan Rector." A plaque reads, " A.M.D.G. The War Memorial Church of St Mark the Evangelist was consecrated by…
Address: 170 Bonney Avenue, , Clayfield Queensland, 4011
A Foundation stone reads, "The Uniting Church in Australia To the glory of God this stone was laid by The Rev Leslie T Vickery OBE MA L.Th on Sunday 2nd March 1986. Minister Rev Clive W Ayre B.A. BD". A plaque reads' "Clayfield Uniting Church This building was dedicated to the glory of God by The Moderator Rev Barry Dangerfield BD Dip…
Year Built: 1986
Address: 50 Fairway Drive, , Clear Island Waters Queensland, 4226
A Foundation stone reads, "This Church dedicated to the Sacred heart of Jesus was blessed and opened by His Grace the Most Reverend F.R. Rush D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday 22nd June 1986 Rev O.K. Oxenham DCL OBE Parish Priest Surfers Paridis Broadbeach". A plaque reads, “ The rose window faces the mountains to the west: the…
Address: 52 Daintree Street, , Clermont Queensland, 4721
The original was a wooden structure which by 1917 was in a poor state of repair. It was situated in that part of the town built close to two creeks & when these flooded in 1916, killing 56 of the town's citizens, the remaining buildings were moved to higher ground.
Address: 40 Box Street, , Clermont Queensland, 4721
Rev Thomas Brassington arrived on 11th March 1885 and a Methodist Church was built in Box St just opposite St Joseph’s School and dedicated on 19th September 1886. The new Methodist Church was built in 1975 by Joe Sporne and Gordon Murray.
Address: 4 Cross Street, , Cleveland Queensland, 4163
The Church was constructed in 1873–1874 on land donated in 1870 by George Thorn of Ipswich. Prior to this, services were held on the verandahs of the former Court House (c.1853) (now Ye Olde Court House Restaurant) and the Grandview Hotel (c.1852). It was designed by James Furnival and built in 1873; it was extended in 1924 to a design by…
Address: 36 Passage Street, , Cleveland Queensland, 4163
A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This stone was placed on 30th March 1980 by Rev D F Kirkup BA L Th Secretary, Qld, Synod, Uniting Church in Aust Rev R G C Smith Pastor R B Swain Secretary N A C Dean Treasurer R M Oliver". A further Foundation stone reads on the current Hall, "To the Glory of God This stone was laid on…
Year Built: 1855
Address: 12819 Midland Highway, , Cleveland Tasmania, 7211
Built in 1855 by James and David Gibson the neat very little brick church originally only measured 22 feet by 6 inches but was extended to 33 feet later. Known as Cleveland Union Chapel, the Church only has windows down one side of the building and was originally used by the Presbyterian faith as their centre of worship but later used…
Year Built: 1886
Address: Corner Hodgkinson & Wellington Streets, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068
The foundation stone of this former Wesleyan Church, was laid on 13 December 1886. The parsonage in Hodgkinson Street was built in 1881. Due to low attendances, the Wesleyan Church closed down in October 1961.
Address: South Terrace, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068
St Andrew's Church was constructed in reinforced concrete and bluestone to the designs of North & Williams. The foundation stone was laid on 4 March 19161 and the building dedicated on 30 September of that year.