Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Ballina, NSW - Uniting

Ballina, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1920

Address: 54 Cherry treet, , Ballina New South Wales, 2478

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by W.J. Towner Esq 14.2.1920"

Read More

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1868

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first church was erected in 1842 at a cost of £25.00 and was the first church to be built in Balmain. An early stone Early English Gothic Revival style Church constructed in 1867-1868. The Church significantly retains its original form, scale and details particularly the stone façades and roof and associated details and prominent…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: 6 Eaton Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first St Augustine's was built in 1848 and designed by Augustus Pugin England's most influential early Victorian architect. In 1848 the Archbishop of Sydney put up a bond of 150 which would be voided unless part of a church or materials worth 400 were on site within 18 months. The "magnificent plot of land [was] beautifully…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

Balmain, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: 85 Darling Street East, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first settlements in Balmain took place around 1840 in the viciinity of Peacocks Point. The first Anglican services at Balmain were conducted by the Rev Frederick Wilkinson, MA, in 1841, in a small slab and bark building at Waterview Bay, in the vicinity of Mort's Dock. It was soon realized that Waterview Bay was too remote from…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - Uniting

Balmain, NSW - Uniting

Address: 344 Darling Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

Until the mid 1980's the Church worshipped in the Methodist Mission in Montague Street. The mission was sold and the congregation moved into its current location.

Read More

Balmain, NSW, St Andrews Congregational

Balmain, NSW, St Andrews Congregational

Year Built: 1854

Address: 217 - 233 Darling Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The foundation stone was laid on 3 August 1854. The architects were Messrs Goold and Field. The Church building is an example of early sandstone Gothic Revival style constructed in 1854-55. It consists of nave with tower, two vestries. Diagonal buttresses clasp the tower and articulate the nave walls. Windows of two lights under…

Read More

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: Hume Highway, , Balmattum Victoria, 3666

The Church is part of the the Benalla Presbyterian Parish since its inception, but at the time was knows as duck pond the name derived from a chain of water holes crossing the route of the Sydney Road. The first srvices were held in the school. The wooden church building was erected in 1878 and opeend on 6 October 1878 by Reverend Reid.…

Read More

Balnarring, VIC - Uniting

Balnarring, VIC - Uniting

Address: 10 Balnarring Beach Road, , Balnarring Victoria, 3926

Formerley a Methodist Church. Between 1915 and 1920 the Methodist's hired the Balnarring Mechanics hall for services. In 1924 2 acres of land was purchased at Balnarring Beach Road. in 1929 services were moved to St Mark's Church of England in Balnarring however by 1934 services were moved to Warrawee Homestead. The new Church was…

Read More

Balwyn North, VIC - St Hilary's St Silas Anglican

Balwyn North, VIC - St Hilary's St Silas Anglican

Address: 16 Osburn Avenue, , Balwyn North Victoria, 3104

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by R. W. Thomson Esq on the 15th October 1927. In this place I will give peace. B.H & M. H. King Architects, Rev P. L Forster Minister". A further Foundation stone reads, " To the greater Glory of God and in honour of St Silas this stone was laid by the Most Rev J.J.…

Read More

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Corner Belmore & Winfield Road, , Balwyn North Victoria, 3104

The vision for a church occurred in 1950 with the land being purchased on 27 July 1951. A portable building was erected on the site on 17 February 1952. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend H. Slarnette President of the Conference 12 July 1953. The three bay church hall was opened in 1954. Additions to the Church were completed in…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Year Built: 1930

Address: 19 Brenbeal Street, , Balwyn Victoria,

The church was presumably named after the Irish theological college, All Hallows College in Dublin, where the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix, had studied. The building and site, together with furnishings and ground improvements, cost £3964 in total (Advocate 16 January 1930:22). The Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1938

Address: 517 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3127

The Church was opened at 3pm on April 30th 1938 by Mr C Harley of the Congregation and the service was conducted by the President of the Baptist Union Mr C.H. Book. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by G.W.Green Esq 13 November 1937. Rev E.R. Thorne, Pastor".

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Balwyn, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 208 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

The Church was opened on October 8th 1922. A Foundation meeting was held on 16 May 1922 at the present site while on 2 July a special Foundation Service was held at 11.00am The Mission opened that night in the tent on a site on Whitehorse Road near Weir Street. The Church has now been sold and due for demolition in 2021.

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - St Barnabas Anglican

Balwyn, VIC - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: 86 Balwyn Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

In 1870 Balwyn came under the care of St John's Mr Herbert E. Taylor who was preparing for Holy Orders became Lay Reader in the district and took services for two years. During his time as Lay Reader, Mr. Taylor collected £200 for the erection of a church. On December 22, 1872, the church, with its shingled roof and seating for about…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Balwyn, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 172 Doncaster Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

The Foundation stone was laid by the Reverend H.G. Mackay B.A. on 16 December 1961.

Read More

Balwyn, VIC, Wesleyan Methodist

Balwyn, VIC, Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 184 Balwyn Rd, , Balwyn Victoria,

Read More

Banana, QLD - Uniting

Banana, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1968

Address: North Street, , Banana Queensland, 4702

A plaque in the grounds of the church reads in part, " In 1969 local folk felt the need for a place where they could gather for worship. So this humble building came into being under the umbrella of the Methodist Church. Construction was undertaken by a Biloela carpenter with the assistance of willing volunteers. The cost of the building…

Read More

Bangalow, NSW - All Soul's Anglican

Bangalow, NSW - All Soul's Anglican

Year Built: 1928

Address: 1 Ashton Street, , Bangalow New South Wales, 2479

The Church was built in 1928.

Read More

Bangalow, NSW - Presbyterian

Bangalow, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 73 Byron Street, , Bangalow New South Wales, 2479

Read More

Bangalow, NSW - Uniting

Bangalow, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1916

Address: 17 Station Street, , Bangalow New South Wales, 2479

Read More

Bangor, NSW - Menai Baptist

Bangor, NSW - Menai Baptist

Address: 77 Billa oad, , Bangor New South Wales, 2234

Read More

Bankstown, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Bankstown, NSW - St Brendan's Catholic

Address: 54 Northam Avenue, , Bankstown New South Wales, 2200

Read More

Bankstown, NSW - St Felix de Valois Catholic

Bankstown, NSW - St Felix de Valois Catholic

Address: 550 Chapel Road, , Bankstown New South Wales, 2200

The first church was built in 1857 on land donated by John Abbott. This church, of sandstone construction, was erected directly in front of the present church.. The present Church was built in 1925 while the old church was demolished in 1944 with parts of it being used in the Grotto. Further renovations were carried out in 1980 and 1998.

Read More

Bankstown, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Bankstown, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 461 Chapel Road, , Bankstown New South Wales, 2200

The original weatherboard hall was built in 1914. The main church was built between 1938-1961 and designed by church architect Morman Welland McPherson. The rectory was added in 1945.

Read More

Bankstown, NSW - War Memorial Uniting

Bankstown, NSW - War Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 2020

Address: 41 Meredith Street, , Bankstown New South Wales, 2200

The current Church replaces an older church dating from 1945. The opening ceremony in 2020 was led by Minister, the Rev Gaby Kobrossi, followed by a scripture reading by Cr George Zakhia, with the actual dedication taking the form of a flag raising by Navy Chaplain Rev Andrew Waters and Defence Force Chaplain, Rev Mick Flew. Bankstown…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds. The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev.…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 23 Byron Street, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

On July 13th 1878 tenders were called for the construction of a timber building measuring 25ft by 18ft with wood paling roof. The church was built on gazetted land in Byron Street with the Rev Robert Shackleton as vicar and opened later in 1878.

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - Uniting

Bannockburn, VIC - Uniting

Address: 18 Moore Street, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

Read More

Banyo, QLD - Baptist

Banyo, QLD - Baptist

Address: 22 Hartley Street, , Banyo Queensland, 4014

Read More

Banyo, QLD - Presyterian

Banyo, QLD - Presyterian

Address: 314 St Vincents Road, , Banyo Queensland, 4014

Read More

Banyo, QLD - St Oswald's Anglican

Banyo, QLD - St Oswald's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: 9 Froude Street, , Banyo Queensland, 4014

This timber interwar church was opened in 1929, eleven years after the land was purchased for the purpose of providing the Nundah/Banyo parish with a hall. Designed by local architect W.C. Nicholls, the church was extended in 1954 and became a separate parish to Nundah in 1974.

Read More

Banyo, QLD - Uniting Community

Banyo, QLD - Uniting Community

Address: 425 Earnshaw Road, , Banyo Queensland, 4014

Read More

Barcaldine, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Barcaldine, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 89 Elm Street, , Barcaldine Queensland, 4725

The first Sacred Heart Church was one of the buildings that was moved from one stop on the railway line to the next as it advanced westwards. It was re-erected after it arrived from Jericho with the railway in 1886 on the corner of Willow and Yew streets. In 1889 a second church was built nearby and that was replaced by the current…

Read More

Barcaldine, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Barcaldine, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1899

Address: 83 Elm Street, , Barcaldine Queensland, 4725

At first, services at Barcaldine were held in the court house. In 1898 a handsome bequest from England, known as the Marriott bequest, contributed £250 to the cost of a church and a committee was formed to begin the work. Plans were drawn up with input from Archdeacon George Halford. In 1913 the church was completed by extending the nave…

Read More

Barcaldine, QLD - Uniting

Barcaldine, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 7 Maple Street, , Barcaldine Queensland, 4725

The second Church on this site was built in 1893 and is now the Church Hall. The current Church was built in 1961.

Read More

Barden Ridge, NSW - Menai Anglican

Barden Ridge, NSW - Menai Anglican

Address: 21 Broughton Place, , Barden Ridge New South Wales, 2234

Read More

Barden Ridge, NSW - Menai Anglican

Barden Ridge, NSW - Menai Anglican

The Church was founded in October 1982 in the downstairs rumpus room of a local house in Reid Place Illawong.

Read More

Bardon, QLD - Pilgrim Congregational

Bardon, QLD - Pilgrim Congregational

Year Built: 1914

Address: Corner Simpson & Boundary Roads, , Bardon Queensland, 4065

The land on which this church stands is part of a 38 acre block originally purchased from the Crown in 1862 by Francis Lyon. A year later the whole parcel of land was transferred to Joshua Jeays. Jeays was a notable colonial architect, Brisbane councillor, and eventually, Mayor of Brisbane.. Believed to have been originally constructed…

Read More

Bargara, QLD - Baptist

Bargara, QLD - Baptist

Address: 596 Windermere Road, , Bargara Queensland, 4670

Read More

Bargara, QLD - St James' Catholic

Bargara, QLD - St James' Catholic

Address: 38 See Street, , Bargara Queensland, 4670

Read More