Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Bardon, QLD - Pilgrim Congregational

Bardon, QLD - Pilgrim Congregational

Year Built: 1914

Address: Corner Simpson & Boundary Roads, , Bardon Queensland, 4065

The land on which this church stands is part of a 38 acre block originally purchased from the Crown in 1862 by Francis Lyon. A year later the whole parcel of land was transferred to Joshua Jeays. Jeays was a notable colonial architect, Brisbane councillor, and eventually, Mayor of Brisbane.. Believed to have been originally constructed…

Read More

Bargara, QLD - Baptist

Bargara, QLD - Baptist

Address: 596 Windermere Road, , Bargara Queensland, 4670

Read More

Bargara, QLD - St James' Catholic

Bargara, QLD - St James' Catholic

Address: 38 See Street, , Bargara Queensland, 4670

Read More

Bargara, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Bargara, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 19 Bauer Street, , Bargara Queensland, 4670

Read More

Bargara, QLD - Uniting

Bargara, QLD - Uniting

Address: Corner Hughes & Blain Street, , Bargara Queensland, 4670

Read More

Bargo, NSW - Anglican
Bargo, NSW - Baptist

Bargo, NSW - Baptist

Address: 21 Silica Road, , Bargo New South Wales, 2574

Read More

Barham, NSW - Baptist

Barham, NSW - Baptist

Address: 52 Mellool Street, , Barham New South Wales, 2732

Read More

Barham, NSW - Catholic

Barham, NSW - Catholic

Address: 18 Wakool Street, , Barham New South Wales, 2732

Read More

Barham, NSW - St John's Anglican

Barham, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1956

Address: 27 Niemur Street, , Barham New South Wales, 2732

A Foundation stone reads, " AMDG This Foundation stone of St John the Evangelist was laid by the Right Reverend the Bishop of Riverena 11th March 1956". A wall plaque reads, " In Memory of their ministry in this Parish Canon Julius Courteen Stonehouse 1953 - 1985, Archdeacon David Richard Bond 1996 - 2016, Well done good & faithfull…

Read More

Barham, NSW - Uniting

Barham, NSW - Uniting

Address: 17 Thule Street, , Barham New South Wales, 2732

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Barmedman, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: Main Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The fine brick building was blessed upon its completion by Rev. John Gallagher, Bishop of Goulburn on 19th March 1916, and dedicated to God under the patronage of Saint Joseph. It is not known when Barmedman was connected to the Parish of Temora. The first Mass for the township on record took place in 1882. In the absence of the church…

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 32 - 34 Queen Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The first St Paul's Presbyterian Church Barmedman was a timber structure which was used from late 1890. The present brick structure was opened in March 1927. The Foundation stone was laid on 20 October 1926 by John Stewart. The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Barmera, SA - St Edmun's Anglican

Barmera, SA - St Edmun's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 1 Langdon Terrace, , Barmera South Australia, 5345

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Right Reverend Thomas Thornton Reed M.A. D Litt ThD Bishop of Adelaide 18th August 1957".

Read More

Barmera, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Barmera, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 8 Joyce Street, , Barmera South Australia, 5345

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G St Francis Xaviers Memorial Church was consecrated 28th March and opened on Palm Sunday 30th March 1969 by The Bishop of Port Pirie Most Rev Bryan Gallagher D.D. D.P.H. Rev Shane O'Connor Parish Priest".

Read More

Barmera, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Barmera, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 19 Fowles Street, , Barmera South Australia, 5345

A Foundation stone on the church hall reads, " For no other Foundation can any one lay than that which is laid which is Jesus Christ 1 Corinthians 3 V II 16th August 1981". A further foundation stone reads, " I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth Romans 1 16 9th March…

Read More

Barmera, SA - Uniting

Barmera, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1922

Address: 80 Nookamka Terrace, , Barmera South Australia, 5345

A wall plaque reads, " The first solid construction church built in Bamera opened 10 September 1922 as the Congregational Church Barmera National Trust of S.A. A foundation stone reads " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Rev G. Rayner Chairman of the Congregational Union S.A. March 4 1922".

Read More

Barooga, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Barooga, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 7 McFarland Street, , Barooga New South Wales, 3644

Read More

Barrabool, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican (Former)

Barrabool, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1855

Address: 410 Merrawarp Road, , Barrabool Victoria, 3221

One of Victoria's earliest rural Anglican churches, The Church was begun with the construction of the nave in 1855 in local Barrabool sandstone. It was designed by early Victorian architect, Charles Vickers, in Gothic style. The chancel, vestry and porch were added in1857 by Geelong architects, Shaw & Dowden. The entire church was…

Read More

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 48 Barrington Road, , Barrington Tasmania,

Barrington is regarded as the birthplace of Methodism in the Sheffield district. The first settlers were led by John and Charles Coleman and were later joined by Alexander Smith, John Harmon, Benjamin Green, John Reeves, Charles Packett and William Smith, all members of the Methodist Church.

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Barwon Heads, VIC - All Saints' Anglican

Address: 61 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3227

Services were held monthly in the Mount Colite Hotel hall by the Vicar of Marshall before 1936, when a committee was called to collect money for a new church. Efforts continued through the Depression and in 1937 the Vicar of Marshall, the Rev D.D. Carruthers, whose parish included Barwon Heads was offered a building from Sparrovale Farm…

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Address: 103 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3226

The Advocate Newspaper recorded on January 5th 1939 the Church was formally opened by His Grace the Archbishop on New Years Day. His Grace blessed the new church, assisted by the Right Rev. Mgr. R.S. Benson, P.P., V.F.; Very Rev. Dr. Lyons, Rev. J.H. O'Halloran, P.P.; Rev. Norman Hoare, P.P.; Rev. J. McDonald, P.P.; Rev. J.H. Cleary, Rev.…

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC Uniting

Barwon Heads, VIC Uniting

Address: 65 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3226

Read More

Bass Hill, NSW - Crest Community Baptist

Bass Hill, NSW - Crest Community Baptist

Address: 59 Johnston Road, , Bass Hill New South Wales, 2198

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Bass, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 20 Bass Road, , Bass Victoria, 3991

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Hade Avenue, , Bass Victoria, 3991

Read More

Batehaven, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Batehaven, NSW - St Bernard's Catholic

Address: 2 David Avenue, , Batehaven New South Wales, 2536

Read More

Batemans Bay, NSW - Uniting

Batemans Bay, NSW - Uniting

Address: 2 Catlin Avenue, , Batemans Bay New South Wales, 2536

Read More

Batemans Bay, NSW Anglican

Batemans Bay, NSW Anglican

Year Built: 1986

Address: 6 Herarde Street, , Batemans Bay New South Wales, 2536

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by Bishop Bruce Wilson Assistant Bishop of the Diocese Of Canberra and Wollongong on 7th September 1986".

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Catholic (Former)

Batesford, VIC - Catholic (Former)

Address: 30 Cross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 40 Ross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

First services were held in private homes such as "Darriwill" home of the Hope family. Later Reve Sutherland conducted services in a tin shed on top of Batesford Hill until he left in 1887. In December 1859 tenders were let by the Architect Joseph Lowe Shaw for the erection of a bluestone church. A plaque on the upper section of the…

Read More

Bathurst, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Bathurst, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Address: 3 Church Street, , Bathurst New South Wales, 2795

The cathedral building was originally designed by Edmund Blacket in 1845 as a parish church, but became a cathedral in 1870 with the creation of the Diocese of Bathurst. An organ was installed in 1886 and bells were hung in 1855. In the 1890s, however, the bell tower was found to be unstable, so the bells could not be "rung full circle"…

Read More

Bathurst, NSW - Presbyterian

Bathurst, NSW - Presbyterian

Address: 72 George Steet, , Bathurst New South Wales, 2795

The Architect was Thomas Rowe.

Read More

Bathurst, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican (Former)

Bathurst, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1881

Address: 36A Bant Street, , Bathurst New South Wales, 2795

The present Church was built in 1881 to replace an earlier weather-board church building dating from 1875. This weatherboard building was afterwards used as the Parish Hall until it was replaced in 1918 by the present brick Parish Hall, the foundation of which was laid by the Primate, the Most Revd, J. C. Wright, D.D., on 21st September…

Read More

Bathurst, NSW - Uniting

Bathurst, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: 140A William Street, , Bathurst , 2795

In 1857, the foundations of the present church were laid by William Thomas Senior. The work was completed in 1860 and officially opened on Thursday 31st May of that year, the Reverend Joseph Oram conducting the service. The internal measurements were 78 feet by 52 feet, with a seating capacity of 700, and the cost was £7,040.

Read More

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1847

Address: 30 Cromwell Street, Hobart, Battery Point Tasmania, 7004

Located on the highest point of Battery Point, once known as Kermode's Hill the Church was designed by two of Hobart's earliest and best known architects. The land was in fact purchased from William Kermode for 250.00. It was designed in the Neo-Classical style by the Government architect, John Lee Archer, designing the body of the…

Read More

Baulkham Hills, NSW - Baptist

Baulkham Hills, NSW - Baptist

Address: 39 Sarah Crescent, , Baulkham Hills New South Wales, 2153

Read More

Baulkham Hills, NSW - Norwest Anglican

Baulkham Hills, NSW - Norwest Anglican

Address: 19 Chapel Lane, , Baulkham Hills New South Wales, 2153

Read More

Baulkham Hills, NSW - St Matthew's Uniting

Baulkham Hills, NSW - St Matthew's Uniting

Year Built: 1975

Address: Cnr Charles & Edgar Streets, , Baulkham Hills New South Wales, 2153

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was unveiled by Mrs Gwen Stephens a Trustee of the Church 20th April 1975".

Read More

Baulkham Hills, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Baulkham Hills, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: 1 Chapel Lane, , Baulkham Hills New South Wales, 2153

A Foundation stone reads, " St Michael's Church Baulkham Hills dedicated by His Eminence Sir James Cardinal Freeman Archbishop of Sydney assisted by His Lordship Bishop Bede Heather Sunday 27th July 1980 Rev P.J. Bryne P.P.".

Read More