Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination


Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1860

Address: 170 Flinders Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5011

The beginnings of the Church can be traced to 1860 when about six families withdrew membership from Pastor Borgelt's Klemzig congregation on scriptural and confessional grounds. With several families who had been members of the Trinity congregation, as well as a number of others who were not affiliated with any group, they formed the…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel Greek Orthodox

Adelaide, SA - Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel Greek Orthodox

Address: 286 Franklin Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The Church is circular in plan, with an inner circle forming the gallery and an arc forming the Sanctuary. It is a reinforced concrete structure with brick walls which allows a band of windows at the base of the Dome. The roof is covered with sheet copper. The freestanding Bell Tower was constructed under a later contract.

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1838

Address: North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The first Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1838 by the Governor of South Australia Governor Hindmarsh. A subsequent Foundation stone was laid on 7 May 1887 by George Mayo F.R.C.S England. This is the first church in South Australia. The original structure was built 1838, rebuilt and enlarged 1844-45 rebuilt again in 1888 (raised…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: 12 Flinders Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Pilgrim Church traces its roots back to Adelaides early Wesleyans and Congregationalists. A Wesleyan chapel in Pirie Street was opened in 1851 and became known as the Pirie Street Methodist Church. Stow Memorial Congregational Church, in Flinders Street, was dedicated in 1867. The two churches were back-to-back and were divided by a high…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Scots Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Scots Uniting

Year Built: 1851

Address: 237 North Terrace, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Scots Church Adelaide was originally called Chalmers Free Church. It was built by a group of Presbyterians who supported the Free Church of Scotland. They called Reverend John Gardner from Scotland to establish a church in South Australia. He arrived in Adelaide in March 1850 and immediately set about purchasing the land on the corner of…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: 33 Wakefield Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

Built progressively, from the laying of the original foundation in 1851 to the completion of the bell-tower in 1996, this cathedral is considered a major Australian work of the Gothic Revival style. It is linked with a number of designers and builders, including the eminent English architects Charles Francis Hansom and Peter Paul Pugin.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 14 St John Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The land on which the church is built was donated by Osmond Gillies to the Church of England. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1839 by Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, Governor of the Province. The church was opened on Sunday, 24th October, 1841 by the Rev C.B. Howard assisted by the Rev Jas. Farrell. In 1886 the original…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1855

Address: 21 Whitmore Square, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The Church is one of the most significant in Adelaide. The first part of it was built in 1855. It remains one of the earliest Anglican Churches in Adelaide. Divine Service appears to have been first conducted in a Schoolroom in Hobson's Place, between Sturt and Wright Streets. In December, 181-)3, a meeting was held in Hole Trinity…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Year Built: 1841

Address: 26 Moore Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

1841 - 1846 One of the oldest buildings in South Australia, the church was originally built in 1841 on the site on which St John's, Halifax Street now stands where it was commonly known as "St John's in the Wilderness" for its remoteness from the busier northern part of Adelaide. The church was poorly built, for it was condemned and its…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 261 Grote Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

After the original church, that was located in West Terrace became too small it was decided to build a new one in Grote St. The Foundation stone was laid in November 1912 and the building was completed in 1914. Constructed of stone and brick, St Patrick's is Classical-neo Baroque in style, based on a Brunelleschi composition.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Year Built: 1848

Address: 152 Wakefield Street, Adelaide, South Australia, 5000

The original congregation of this church was formed in Klemzig in 1848. They remained there iuntil 1862 when their first church was built in Pirie Street. The congregation increased again in size and it was at this point St Stephen's was built. Designed by Architects Williams and Good the church is of Gothic Revival style. The Church…

Read More

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 1 Bonney Street, Canberra, Ainslie Australian Capital Territory, 2602

Originally built as the Necropolis Receiving House as part of the Gothic Mortuary Railway Station at Rookwood, Sydney. It was designed by James Barnet in 1869. Built of stone the mortuary station fell into disrepair and by the 1950s the building's roof had been destroyed in a bushfire. The Anglican Rector of North Canberra successfully…

Read More

Ainslie, ACT - Church of Christ

Ainslie, ACT - Church of Christ

Address: 82 Limestone Avenue, Canberra, Ainslie Australian Capital Territory, 2602

Read More

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: 4 Fahey's Road East, Brisbane, Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

Read More

Albany Creek, QLD - Uniting

Albany Creek, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1980

Address: 652 Albany Creek Road, Brisbane, Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

Read More

Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Address: Corner Bridport & Ferrars Streets, Melbourne, Albert Park Victoria, 3206

First services were held in the Albert Hall, Bevan Street, then for 50 years in a wooden building on the site of the present service station. It was enlarged in stages. The present building was constructed by Melbourne church architect Louis Williams in 1925. In 1969 the Hall was incorporated into the lower part of the Church building.…

Read More

Alberton, SA - Anglican

Alberton, SA - Anglican

Address: 88 Port Road, Alberton, South Australia, 5014

Read More

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: Station Place, Alberton, South Australia, 5014

The Foundation stone was laid by J Formby Esq on 6 April 1880.

Read More

Albury, NSW - Baptist

Albury, NSW - Baptist

Address: Corner Crisp & Macavley Streets, Albury, New South Wales, 2640

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Albury, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Address: 402 Wagga Rd, Albury, Lavington New South Wales, 2641

Reverand Peter Gunn of the Gaelic Church Melbourne first visited Albury and it was he who laid the foundations of the church. He had already visited and baptised at Kilmore, Seymour, Longwood, Benalla, Wangaratta and Albury. The first mention of the Albury - Lavington area was made St David's Kirk Chronicle September 1936 where it says…

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Luke's Lutheran

Albury, NSW - St Luke's Lutheran

Address: 436 Guinea Street, Albury, New South Wales, 2640

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Mathew's Anglican

Albury, NSW - St Mathew's Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 4518 Kiewa Street, Albury, New South Wales, 2640

The Albury Anglican Parish was established in February 1850 and by 1851 the first rector Henry Elliott had arrived. By 1856 a plan by Sydney architect Edmund Blacket was accepted and work began in 1857. The first portion: nave, south porch and tower base, was opened on March 13 1859. The external walls were of local Monument Hill…

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Olive & Smolett Streets, Albury, New South Wales, 2640

Father Charles Lovat, a pioneer priest from Yass, celebrated Albury's first Catholic mass on November 25, 1843 in a much smaller building at a different location. The present Church was opened on November 24, 1872. The priest who planned its construction was buried behind the altar. He was Dr. Michael McAlroy, Albury's parish priest from…

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Church of Christ

Aldgate, SA - Church of Christ

Address: 54 Strathalbyn Road, Adelaide, Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Address: 4 Arkaba Road, Adelaide, Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting

Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting

Address: Sherlaw Avenue, Adelaide, Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Main South Road, Aldinga, South Australia, 5173

In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was 785 pounds. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated. The Church is a simple stone chapel…

Read More

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Address: Old Coach Road, Aldinga, South Australia, 5173

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 37 Downey Street, Alexandra, Victoria, 3714

The commemoration stone was laid by the Reverends K.O. Williams and Reverend W.C. Paul on 20 November 1966.

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Alexandra, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 39 Downey Street, Alexandra, Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend Douglas Blake on 18 November 1937.

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 36 Nihil Street, Alexandra, Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.

Read More

Allansford, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Allansford, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Address: Frank Street, , Allansford Victoria, 3277

Read More

Allansford, VIC - Uniting

Allansford, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Caroline & Frank Streets, Allansford, Victoria, 3277

Read More

Allora, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Allora, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: 44 Warwick Street, Allora, Queensland, 4362

Read More

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: New England Highway, Allora, Queensland, 4362

St. David's Church, Allora is a timber, Gothic Revival style church prominently located at the end of the main thoroughfare of the town, was constructed in 1887-88 to the design of leading Queensland colonial architect F.D.G Stanley. This building is the second church to be built on the site, which also contains a rectory designed by…

Read More

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Allora, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Warwick Street, Allora, Queensland, 4362

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church

Anakie, VIC - Church of the Redeemer Anglican Church

Address: 2310 Ballan Road, , Anakie , 3213

The Building was designed by Laird and Barlow, architects from Geelong and was opened on 9 December 1891 by Bishop Goe. The Church was closed in October 2003 and is now a private residence.

Read More

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Anakie, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1865

Address: 1975 - 1985 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

A meeting was held in August 1864 and tenders were called for a bluestone church to be build from plans by architect John Young.The Foundation stone was laid 4 January 1865 by Mrs John Brown. Its built in a primitive Gothic style.

Read More

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

The first church was a wooden structure. The brick church was built in 1871 with extensive renovations carried out in 1914 that included a sanctuary.

Read More

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Angaston, SA - Church of St Hugh Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Schilling Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1931 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter.

Read More