Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1926

Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A site at the corner of Stanhope Grove and Canterbury Road was contemplated initially. The current site was purchased at auction in 1912. The first service was conducted at 11am on Sunday 27 April 1913 when 29 people attended. At the 7pm service 55 people attended. Rev Brooksbanks conviend a public meeting in Adam's assembly hall…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Archbishop of Melbourne April 25th S Mark's Day 1914". Another Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by The Most Reverend Harrington C Lees D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne September 10th 1927 - Rev J.A. Schofield M.A. Vicar".

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 581 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for 375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of 566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…

Read More

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Cambrai, SA - St John's Lutheran

Address: Corner Marne & Skinner Streets, , Cambrai South Australia, 5353

The original church was built of stone in 1904. The separate hall was erected in 1963.

Read More

Camden, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Camden, NSW - St Paul's Catholic

Address: 33 John Street, , Camden New South Wales, 2570

The Church was established in 1859 when the great Archbishop Polding was still in office as Archbishop of Sydney and the indomitable pioneer priest of the Australian Church, Father John Joseph Therry, who had certainly proclaimed the Word of God in the Camden area, was approaching the end of his days as Parish Priest of Balmain. Early…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 6 Lee Street, Campania, Campania Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920. The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Year Built: 1880

Address: 105 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church was built by funds left by Joseph Brickhill a successful local Businessman. His shop which used to be on High Street was built in 1859at a cost of £6,000 and was said to be the finest country store in Tasmania. Brickhill died in 1865 at the age of 65 after being attcked by his Alsatian dog. £1,400 was left in his estate to…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Campbell Town, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1858

Address: 55 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church opened for worship on 30 May 1858. The Church was sold in 2018 and is now a cafe and function venue.

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Campbell Town, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1835

Address: 70 National Highway, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

From a plaque at the front of the church reads, "John Lee Archer the Civil Engineer under Governor Arthur had the plans drawn up for this church and the foundation stone was laid in 1835. It was then discovered that part of the base had been laid down with no foundations and a new contractor was called to complete the building which was…

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - St Michael's Catholic

Campbell Town, TAS - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1857

Address: 4 King Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

Bishop Willson rode on horseback from Hobart to Campbell Town to lay the foundation stone of the church on June 25 1856. He was assisted by six priests, the pastor John Fitzgerald and Fathers Butler, Hogan, Bond, Dunne and Keohan. The land was secured in 1857 by Bishop Willson and was consecrated in September of that year.

Read More

Camperdown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Camperdown, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 2 Missenden Road, , Camperdown New South Wales, 2050

The baptismal font in the Church was designed and erected by renowned Australian sculptor Tom Bass in 1959 and is one of many objects that form the parish’s history.

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Camperdown, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1863

Address: Corner Church & Fergusson Streets, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

The building of St Paul's Parish Church commenced in 1863 with substantial contributions from families whose descendants still worship in the parish. With local tradesmen directing the stonework and carpentry, both the church and the vicarage were completed within four months. The Church was built in three stages with chancel and…

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - Uniting

Camperdown, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner Barkly & Leura Street, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

The Foundation stone was laid by Miss J Curdie of Tanderook on 18 April 1901.

Read More

Campsie, NSW - Baptist

Campsie, NSW - Baptist

Address: 11 Claremont Street, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

Mrs Annie White donated the site for the present Church.

Read More

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Campsie, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Anzac Square, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John Charles Wright D.D. Archbishop of Sydney on 22 April 1911.

Read More

Campsie, NSW - St Mels Catholic

Campsie, NSW - St Mels Catholic

Year Built: 1915

Address: 7 Evaline Street, , Campsie New South Wales, 2194

Built around 1915 the Church cost 12,000 according to an article in the Sydney Morning Herald of 25 October 1927. The Church was opened by Archbishop Kelly. Romanesque style red brick Church with slate roof. Arched opening at front, small rose window, pilasters alongside walls are features. It is a typical twentieth century Parish…

Read More

Cann River, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Cann River, VIC - St John the Evangelist Anglican

The Church was licenced and dedicated on 29 February 1928.

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Canowindra, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Address: Lola Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

The church tower was a gift of Emma Robinson on the death of Hilton Robinson.

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: Tilga Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

The Church has two foundations stones attached to it. The first was laid on 11 May 1902 by the Bishop of Bathurst the Right Reverend J Dunn. The other was laid on 27 July 1915 by the same Bishop.

Read More

Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Canterbury, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1858

Address: Church Street, , Canterbury New South Wales, 2193

Built on part of Robert Campbell's Canterbury estate on land donated by his daughter Sophia Ives Campbell. The Church was designed by Edmund Blacket. Built from local sandstone it was completed between 1858 and 1859 and consecrated on 12 April 1860. Of Gothic Revival Church style with steeply pitched roof which was originally covered…

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - Baptist

Canterbury, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1962

Address: 1A Balwyn Road, , Canterbury Victoria, 3126

By the early 1930s the Sunday School to the rear of the Church was deemed inadequate due to community growth and a new brick structure was proposed. The foundation stone for the present Sunday School was laid in June 1933. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by S.J. Mortley Esq Life Deacon 24th February…

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - Habitat Uniting

Canterbury, VIC - Habitat Uniting

Address: 706 Warrenheip St, , Canterbury Victoria, 3357

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - Presbyterian

Canterbury, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: 137 Canterbury Road, , Canterbury Victoria, 3126

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - St David's Habitat Uniting

Canterbury, VIC - St David's Habitat Uniting

Address: 3 Mont Albert Road, , Canterbury Victoria, 3126

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - Tongan Uniting

Canterbury, VIC - Tongan Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: 15A Balwyn Road, , Canterbury Victoria, 3126

In 1890, a Methodist Church was built on the site with funding supplied by local residents. The current church was built in 1928. The Architect was Louis Williams and the Builder was A Richardson. The walls are of clinker brick with bands of grilles in the brickwork to the gable ends. The steeply pitched roof is clad in glazed tiles…

Read More

Carisbrook, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Carisbrook, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 4 Urquhart Street, , Carisbrook Victoria, 3464

Anglican services were first held in Carisbrook in 1851. In 1854 church services and a school were conducted in the Parish Hall. In 1864 - 1866 the present blue stone church was erected. The interior was renovated in 1966 and the vestry was added in 1972. On October 2015 St Paul’s Carisbrook was deconsecrated as a place of worship,…

Read More

Carisbrook, VIC - Uniting

Carisbrook, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner Chapel St & Pyrenees Highway, , Carisbrook Victoria, 3464

Read More

Carlisle, WA - Holy Name Catholic

Carlisle, WA - Holy Name Catholic

Address: 54 Solar Way, , Carlisle Western Australia, 6101

Read More

Carlisle, WA - Uniting

Carlisle, WA - Uniting

Address: Star Street, , Carlisle Western Australia, 6101

Read More

Carlton, VIC - St Judes Anglican

Carlton, VIC - St Judes Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: 351 Lygon Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

The church was built in two stages, the first between 1866 and 1867 and the second between 1869 and 1870. It was designed by Joseph Reed and Barnes. The builder was John Pigdon. The tower at the northeast corner was never erected and in 1935 was substituted by the present porch and Bell-cote. A foundation stone was laid on 14 September…

Read More

Carlton, VIC - Uniting

Carlton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: Drummond Street, , Carlton Victoria, 3053

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church it was designed by Joseph Reed and built between 1869 and 1870. The first church, seating 120 people was opened on 17 February 1861. It cost 260 on completion. This church later became half the Sunday School Hall. Construction commenced on 29 December 1860 and it took only 6 weeks to build.

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 23 Wattle Avenue, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163

A Private dwelling. A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by A.W.F. Smith Esq Oct 1922".

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1938

Address: 142 Grange Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Moderator The Right Rev F.W. Bolland M.C.M.A. 5th March 1938 Rev S.A. Vertigan Minister. Architects H.H. and F.B. Kemp. Builder Norman Miller".

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Carnegie, VIC - St Anthony's Catholic

Address: 172 Neerim Road, , Carnigie Victoria, 3163

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Carnegie, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1924

Address: 371 Neerim Road, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone of the Parish Church of St Peter's built for the worship of God and the teaching of the Catholic faith was laid by Harrington Clare Archbishop of Melbourne on Whitsun Eve A.D. 1924. Pasce Oves Meas. Louis R Williams Architect, R,J, Werner Builder".

Read More

Carrick, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Carrick, TAS - St Andrews Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: 1 Liffey Street, , Carrick Tasmania, 7291

Built in 1843 and consecrated in 1845 after its conversion from a schoolhouse. Services were first held c1843 in a blacksmith's shop and subsequently in a schoolhouse, whose building was later transformed into St Andrew's. Thomas Reibey had the schoolhouse converted by 1845, though the tower was added in 1863. The church's burial ground…

Read More

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Casterton, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1909

Address: 174 Glenelg Highway, , Casterton Victoria, 3311

The first church was erected in 1865 and was opened on 1 April. The second church built in the Gothic style was opened in March 1909. The Foundation stone was laid by Mr Gillespie on Wednesday 7 October 1908.

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Baptist

Castlemaine, VIC - Baptist

Address: 20 Templeton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Church of Christ

Castlemaine, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: Kennedy Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

Read More

Castlemaine, VIC - Presbyterian

Castlemaine, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1858

Address: Lyttleton Street, , Castlemaine Victoria, 3450

The earliest building was constructed in 1855 as a temporary church, Sunday and day school. Designed by architect and surveyor, Clement Wilks, the foundation stone was laid on 7th March 1855. The first church building is constructed of unadorned brick and designed in a simple Georgian style. Step buttresses divide the nave into bays,…

Read More