Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination


Hurstville, NSW - St Giles Presbyterian

Hurstville, NSW - St Giles Presbyterian

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Park & McMahon Streets, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

The first Presbyterian Church in Hurstville was a wooden building built in 1904 in Forest Road. The second Church was built in 1923 and is now the Youth Centre opposite the current Church. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by his Excellency the Governor of New South Wales Lieut General Sir John Northcott on 5 March…

Read More

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: Croydon Road, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

On 18 December, 1850, Michael Gannon purchased 1905 acres from the estate of Captain John Townson whose grant of crown land took in the whole of the present suburbs of Hurstville and Carlton reaching almost to Kogarah Bay. Michael Gannon then transferred ownership of two acres to the Most Reverend John Bede Polding on 24 November, 1855…

Read More

Hurstville, NSW Church of Christ

Hurstville, NSW Church of Christ

Address: 31 Macmahon Street, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

Thomas Hagger President of the Conference of Christ and David Ewers Home Mission Committee Organising Secretary convened a meeting on Friday evening 30 August in the Hurstville Council Chambers to consider the advisability of organising a Church of Christ in the District. Twenty Two people attended. The Church was opened on 13 October…

Read More

Inverleigh, VIC - Presbyterian

Inverleigh, VIC - Presbyterian

Address: Western Highway, , Inverleigh Victoria, 3321

Read More

Inverleigh, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Inverleigh, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: 71 - 79 High Street, , Inverleigh Victoria, 3321

It was built in 1933, possibly as means of providing work during the Depression, and was designed in a simple restrained Gothic Revival style using typical materials for its time. The present church replaced an earlier timber church on this site which in turn replaced another on a site near the Inverleigh Cemetery.

Read More

Inverleigh, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Inverleigh, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Address: 23 - 41 High Street, , Inverleigh Victoria, 3321

A Foundation stone reads 1858 however it was re laid on 16 July 1889 by Mrs Moriarty. One of the few and earliest church building complexes in the Golden Plains Shire, comprising a distinctive and predominantly intact Victorian Early English Gothic styled church building, moderately intact Victorian styled Vicarage and rudimentary…

Read More

Inverloch, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Inverloch, VIC - Anglican Church of Ascension

Year Built: 1999

Address: The Crescent, , Inverloch Victoria, 3996

The original church was dedicated on 14 May 1924 by the Bishop of Gippsland Harold Cranswick. Further extensions were made in 1957 and 1981. The current building was consecrated on 23 May 1999.

Read More

Inverloch, VIC - Uniting

Inverloch, VIC - Uniting

Address: 10 Williams Street, , Inverloch Victoria, 3996

Read More

Invermay, TAS - Praise Methodist

Invermay, TAS - Praise Methodist

Year Built: 1925

Address: 100 Invermay Road, , Invermay Tasmania, 7248

Formerly an Anglican Church. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs Charles Kent June 20th 1925".

Read More

Invermay, TAS - St Finn Barr's Catholic

Invermay, TAS - St Finn Barr's Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 122 Invermay Road, , Invermay Tasmania, 7248

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed and laid by his race the Most Rev E.V. Tweedy D.D. Archbishop of Hobart on 14th February 1954 W.T. Ryan Parish Priest". A second stone on a brick post reads, " These status were erected by parishioners of St Finn Barrs parish to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the Parish Priest…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Nicholas & Roderwick Streets, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

The first public gathering of Lutherans in the District was held on Reformation day 1858 in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The land on which the church currently stands was granted to the Lutherans on 17 November 1862. A small brick church was erected and dedicated 26 June 1864. The current church was erected in 1960 and dedicated on…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - St Mary's Catholic

Ipswich, QLD - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1849

Address: Corner Elizabeth Street & Roseberry Parade, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

The Church was first established in 1849. Father William McGinty, from Northern Ireland, took charge of Ipswich Parish in 1852 and had the first Saint Mary's Church built. This building was described as "a rude slab building of small dimensions, without glass windows, only shutters." In 1862 this church was later demolished and replaced…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Ipswich, QLD - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 124 Brisbane Street, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

St. Paul’s Church of England was originally constructed in 1859, when Ipswich was still part of New South Wales. The revival gothic building is believed to have been designed by Edmund Blacket with the construction supervised by William Wakeling. The first Church of England services in Ipswich were said to have been conducted in…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Ipswich, QLD - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1864

Address: Corner Limestone & Gordon Streets, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

St Stephens Presbyterian Church stands as the second church to be constructed on the current site in 1864 - 1865. This striking gothic style brick church was designed by architect Joseph Backhouse and continues to be the place of worship for one the oldest congregations in Ipswich. The first Presbyterian church service held in Ipswich was…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - Uniting

Ipswich, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 27 Ellenborough Street, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - Baptist

Ivanhoe, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner Livingston Street & Waterdale Road, , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

The Foundation stone was laid by F.P. Morris Esq 21 March 1925. The architect was L.E. Warner and the builder was G.H. Hannah.

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Ivanhoe, VIC - Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1927

Address: 10 Noel Street , , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

Originally a Presbyterian Church and later a Uniting Church. Prior to the construction of the Knox Presbyterian Church services were held by the Rev. Alex Hardie. in the Old State School, Ivanhoe, in the Old State School during March 1908. Rev. Hardie had been inducted to Heidelberg in September 1907. In April 1908, a Presbyterian school…

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Ivanhoe, VIC - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Waverley & Upper Heidelberg Road, , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

The original church was built in 1915 by Architects Kempson and Connlly. The Pastor was the Reverend M.F. McKenna. The current church was erected in 1961. The foundation stone was laid by the Most Reverend Arthur Fox D.D. on 10 December. Reverend Bernard Geohegan P.P. was the Pastor.

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - St James Anglican

Ivanhoe, VIC - St James Anglican

Address: Corner Upper Heidelberg Road & Noel Street, , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

1908 was the year St James became a parish in it's own right sixty years after the establishment of the City of Melbourne. The Foundation stone was laid by the Governor of Victoria on 21 October 1908. The Vicarage in Noel Street was erected at a cost of 631.The original Rose window was replaced in 2003 with one that commemorates the…

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican (Former)

Ivanhoe, VIC - St Stephen's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 22 Merton Street, , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

The Architect was Louis R. Williams who designed this church in 1926 to be built by T.H. Rowe for its opening by Archdeacon Hindley in April 1927.1 St Stephen's was the second Anglican church built in the Ivanhoe Parish. A vestry was added in 1929. Constructed of clinker brick, the church has a steeply pitched gabled terracotta tiled…

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - Uniting

Ivanhoe, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Seddon Street, , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

In August 1890 Messrs. Thomas Latham and A, R, Fenton made their homes in Ivanhoe, having moved from Collingwood where they were active workers in the Sackville Street, Wesleyan Church, At that time there were no means of public worship in Ivanhoe and the nearest church was the Alphington Wesleyan, about a mile distant. On the 5th…

Read More

Jamestown, SA - Anglican

Jamestown, SA - Anglican

Address: 76 Irvine Street, , Jamestown South Australia, 5491

A Mr Techritz offered to draw the plans for a church for Two Guineas and tenders for the building of a church 30 feet x 15 feet were to be called. By May 1875 a Mrs Riddell was busily collecting funds a harmonium and no doubt the committee felt confident that this would soon be housed in a fine church. The Foundation stone was laid by…

Read More

Jericho, TAS - St James Anglican

Jericho, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1888

The first services were held in a house. Church News of June 1883 states that St. James' was erected in 1826 or 27 but Church News of January 1947 says that building commenced in 1829. The church which was designed by John Lee Archer, was consecrated on the 10th of May, 1838. A plaque on the church reads, "The original church on this…

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Jerilderie, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: West Street, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The Church was formerly a Presbyterian church. The first Minister catering to the pastoral needs of the Protestant faith in this district was a Presbyterian Minister from Deniliquin, the Reverend Peter Mercer, from 2 December, 1863, to 10 August, 1869, under commission from the Castlemaine Presbytery in Victoria. Reverend Mercer's…

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Jerilderie, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Coreen & Kennedy Streets, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The Church was built in 1878 and opened in 1882. It was enlarge in 1898 and the Sacristy added in 1928. Famous people who attended the church included Michael Abney-Hastings 1P Earl of Loudon (said to be the true King of England) was married in St Joseph's Catholic Church on Saturday March 8, 2008.

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Jerilderie, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1897

Address: Corner Brown & Mahonga Streets, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The church was dedicated in August 1897 while the Foundation stone was laid by Ernest Augustus Anderson D.D. Bishop of Riverina on 20 December 1897.

Read More

Jimboomba, QLD - Baptist

Jimboomba, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1949

Address: 23 East Street, , Jimboomba Queensland, 4280

Read More

Jimboomba, QLD - Uniting

Jimboomba, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1949

Address: Bell Street, , Jimboomba Queensland, 4280

Read More

Jugiong, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Jugiong, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1895

Address: Jugiong Road, Jugiong, New South Wales, 2726

In 1863 the first site selected for a church, school and Parsonage was section No 7 bounded by Larmar Renwick and Stapyton streets. This was dedicated on 16 July 1863 but was later revoked and rrserved for the preservation of graves. The Foundation stone was laid on 21 December 1872 by Mr H Howe Esq JP. A further Foundation stone was laid…

Read More

Jugiong, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Jugiong, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Address: Old Hume Highway, , Jugiong New South Wales, 2726

Read More

Junee, NSW - Baptist

Junee, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1939

Address: Corner Orr & Main Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 October 1939 by the Reverend W.H. Wingfield President of the Baptist Union of NSW.

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1903

Address: Corner Lisgar & Denison Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

Constructed of brick the foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1903 by Neil McCallum Esq.

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Junee, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1929

Address: Kitchener Street, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 March 1929 by the Right Reverend J.W. Dwyer Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1889

Address: 26 Denison Street, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Church was built of brick with a shingle roof in 1889 from designs by A Blackett son of E.T. Blackett. In 1911 the chancel and vestries were added and from time to time other improvements have been effected. The Church was licenced on 11/11/1889 by Bishop Thomas. It was consecrated on 29/11/1898 by Bishop Barlow. The east window is a…

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Paul's Uniting

Junee, NSW - St Paul's Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Dalley & Stewart Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The original foundation stone was laid on 2 August 1904 by P Boynton Esq. A subsequent foundation stone was laid on 17 December 1955 by Reverend W.J. Hobbin. Constructed as St Paul's Methodist Church in 1904 and this replaced the old wooden Church on the site. This structure was re-erected on the site behind the new church, facing…

Read More

Kadina, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Kadina, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 26 Hay Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 November 1910 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter.

Read More

Kadina, SA - Church of Christ

Kadina, SA - Church of Christ

Address: 7 Taylor Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

Read More

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Ewing Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The first service was held in the home of Mr F Fiedler and conducted by Pastor J Sabel in 1933. Later that year a congregation was formed. Services were moved to the Protestant Hall in 1945. This hall was later purchased renovated and dedicated on 23 September 1956. This building was not sufficient and it was decided in 1959 a proposal…

Read More

Kadina, SA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Kadina, SA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1936

Address: 19 Goyder Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The Church was built in 1936 to replace the earlier Church, now used as a hall. The Church is built from stone taken from the Mine Powerhouse and has the pews from the original church within its pseudo Gothic interior. The Foundation stone of this church was laid on 13 October 1936 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of…

Read More

Kadina, SA - Wesley Uniting

Kadina, SA - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: Taylor Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid on 14 May 1961 by Reverend A.R. Medson Ex President of the Conference". This church building opened in 1978.

Read More