Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination


Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Ballarat, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: Corner Sturt & Dawson Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Although Catholic Services were conducted in Ballarat from 1851 onwards, the parish of Ballarat was not instituted until 1852. The first Parish Priest was Father Matthew Downing, who in 1853, selected the two acre site for the church, which was granted under a Crown Grant in 1855. The style of the church is early Gothic from the era of…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: Humffray South Street Bakery Hill, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

St Paul's is closely associated with the early Ballarat goldfields and mining at Bakery Hill. It features a plain exterior that hides an unusual internal structural timber post and truss system, extensive and intact 1860s stencilled decoration, and a magnificent and very early stained glass window. The congregation of St Paul's was…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Ballarat, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 1307 Sturt Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

In contemplation of its earliest beginning's of St Peter's Church Ballarat the credit for its foundation must undoubtedly be given to Rev John Potter and his curate the Rev H.C.M. Watson some time during the year 1861. It is upon the erection of a school house in 1861 on the Yuille's Swamp Reserve which was sometimes called a school…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - Uniting

Ballarat, VIC - Uniting

Address: Corner of Dana & Lydiard Streets, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid December 11 1883 by the Honourable James Campbell M.L.C. A Gothic Revival church, listed on the Victorian Heritage Register, and constructed in 1883-1884 to a design by prominent local architects, Terry and Oakden. The elaborate structure of polychromatic brickwork with…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1868

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first church was erected in 1842 at a cost of £25.00 and was the first church to be built in Balmain. An early stone Victorian Free Gothic style Church constructed in 1867-1868. The Church significantly retains its original form, scale and details particularly the stone façades and roof and associated details and prominent tower…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: 6 Eaton Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first St Augustine's was built in 1848 and designed by Augustus Pugin England's most influential early Victorian architect. In 1848 the Archbishop of Sydney put up a bond of 150 which would be voided unless part of a church or materials worth 400 were on site within 18 months. The "magnificent plot of land [was] beautifully…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

Balmain, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1848

Address: 85 Darling Street East, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first settlements in Balmain took place around 1840 in the viciinity of Peacocks Point. The first Anglican services at Balmain were conducted by the Rev Frederick Wilkinson, MA, in 1841, in a small slab and bark building at Waterview Bay, in the vicinity of Mort's Dock. It was soon realized that Waterview Bay was too remote from…

Read More

Balmain, NSW, St Andrews Congregational

Balmain, NSW, St Andrews Congregational

Year Built: 1854

Address: 217 - 233 Darling Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The foundation stone was laid on 3 August 1854. The architects were Messrs Goold and Field. The Church building is an example of early stone Victorian Free Gothic style constructed in 1854-55. The Church and associated Halls retain their original form, scale and details particularly the stone façade. The dimensions were quoted as…

Read More

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Balmattum, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1938

Address: Hume Highway, , Balmattum Victoria, 3666

The Church is part of the the Benalla Presbyterian Parish since its inception, but at the time was knows as duck pond the name derived from a chain of water holes crossing the route of the Sydney Road. The first srvices were held in the school. The wooden church building was erected in 1878 and opeend on 6 October 1878 by Reverend Reid.…

Read More

Balnarring, VIC - Uniting

Balnarring, VIC - Uniting

Address: 10 Balnarring Beach Road, , Balnarring Victoria, 3926

Formerley a Methodist Church. Between 1915 and 1920 the Methodist's hired the Balnarring Mechanics hall for services. In 1924 2 acres of land was purchased at Balnarring Beach Road. in 1929 services were moved to St Mark's Church of England in Balnarring however by 1934 services were moved to Warrawee Homestead. The new Church was…

Read More

Balwyn North, VIC - St Hilary's St Silas Anglican

Balwyn North, VIC - St Hilary's St Silas Anglican

Address: 16 Osburn Avenue, , Balwyn North Victoria, 3104

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by R. W. Thomson Esq on the 15th October 1927. In this place I will give peace. B.H & M. H. King Architects, Rev P. L Forster Minister". A further Foundation stone reads, " To the greater Glory of God and in honour of St Silas this stone was laid by the Most Rev J.J.…

Read More

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Corner Belmore & Winfield Road, , Balwyn North Victoria, 3104

The vision for a church occurred in 1950 with the land being purchased on 27 July 1951. A portable building was erected on the site on 17 February 1952. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend H. Slarnette President of the Conference 12 July 1953. The three bay church hall was opened in 1954. Additions to the Church were completed in…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Year Built: 1930

Address: 19 Brenbeal Street, , Balwyn Victoria,

The church was presumably named after the Irish theological college, All Hallows College in Dublin, where the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix, had studied. The building and site, together with furnishings and ground improvements, cost £3964 in total (Advocate 16 January 1930:22). The Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Balwyn, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1938

Address: 517 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3127

The Church was opened at 3pm on April 30th 1938 by Mr C Harley of the Congregation and the service was conducted by the President of the Baptist Union Mr C.H. Book. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by G.W.Green Esq 13 November 1937. Rev E.R. Thorne, Pastor".

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Balwyn, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 208 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

A Foundation meeting was held on 16 May 1922 at the present site while on 2 July a special Foundation Service was held at 11.00am The Mission opened that night in the tent on a site on Whitehorse Road near Weir Street. The Church has now been sold and due for demolition in 2021.

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - St Barnabas Anglican

Balwyn, VIC - St Barnabas Anglican

Address: 86 Balwyn Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Balwyn, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 172 Doncaster Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

The Foundation stone was laid by the Reverend H.G. Mackay B.A. on 16 December 1961.

Read More

Balwyn, VIC, Wesleyan Methodist

Balwyn, VIC, Wesleyan Methodist

Address: 184 Balwyn Rd, , Balwyn Victoria,

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds. The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev.…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Bannockburn, VIC - St John's Anglican

Address: 23 Byron Street, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - Uniting

Bannockburn, VIC - Uniting

Address: 18 Moore St,, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

Read More

Bardon, QLD - Pilgrim Congregational

Bardon, QLD - Pilgrim Congregational

Year Built: 1914

Address: Corner Simpson & Boundary Roads, , Bardon Queensland, 4065

The land on which this church stands is part of a 38 acre block originally purchased from the Crown in 1862 by Francis Lyon. A year later the whole parcel of land was transferred to Joshua Jeays. Jeays was a notable colonial architect, Brisbane councillor, and eventually, Mayor of Brisbane.. Believed to have been originally constructed…

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Barmedman, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1916

Address: Main Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The fine brick building was blessed upon its completion by Rev. John Gallagher, Bishop of Goulburn on 19th March 1916, and dedicated to God under the patronage of Saint Joseph. It is not known when Barmedman was connected to the Parish of Temora. The first Mass for the township on record took place in 1882. In the absence of the church…

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1926

Address: Main Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The first St Paul's Presbyterian Church Barmedman was a timber structure which was used from late 1890. The present brick structure was opened in March 1927. The Foundation stone was laid on 20 October 1926 by John Stewart.

Read More

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Barrington, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1885

Address: 48 Barrington Road, , Barrington Tasmania,

Barrington is regarded as the birthplace of Methodism in the Sheffield district. The first settlers were led by John and Charles Coleman and were later joined by Alexander Smith, John Harmon, Benjamin Green, John Reeves, Charles Packett and William Smith, all members of the Methodist Church.

Read More

Barton, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Barton, ACT - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1934

Address: Corner State Circle & Canberra Avenue, , Barton Australian Capital Territory, 2600

A sandstone Church in an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style. The side tower is square with a sandstone spire. The interior fills the usual sanctuary area and has fine joinery, particularly in the pulpit and screens. It contains many memorials of National importance. The Foundation stone was laid on 27 November 1929 by His Excellency…

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Barwon Heads, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Address: 61 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3227

Services were held monthly in the Mount Colite Hotel hall by the Vicar of Marshall before 1936, when a committee was called to collect money for a new church. Efforts continued through the Depression and in 1937 the Vicar of Marshall, the Rev D.D. Carruthers, whose parish included Barwon Heads was offered a building from Sparrovale Farm…

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Barwon Heads, VIC Holy Family Catholic

Address: 103 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3226

The design demonstrates original qualities of the interwar Carpenter Gothic style. These qualities include the crowstepped parapetted gable roof, with a minor parapetted gable porch projecting to the side north.

Read More

Barwon Heads, VIC Uniting

Barwon Heads, VIC Uniting

Address: 65 Hitchcock Avenue, , Barwon Heads Victoria, 3226

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Bass, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 20 Bass Road, , Bass Victoria, 3991

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Hade Avenue, , Bass Victoria, 3991

Read More

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Batesford, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1860

Address: 40 Ross Street, , Batesford Victoria, 3213

First services were held in private homes such as "Darriwill" home of the Hope family. Later Reve Sutherland conducted services in a tin shed on top of Batesford Hill until he left in 1887. In December 1859 tenders were let by the Architect Joseph Lowe Shaw for the erection of a bluestone church. A plaque on the upper section of the…

Read More

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Battery Point, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1847

Address: 30 Cromwell Street, Hobart, Battery Point Tasmania, 7004

Located on the highest point of Battery Point, once known as Kermode's Hill the Church was designed by two of Hobart's earliest and best known architects. The land was in fact purchased from William Kermode for 250.00. It was designed in the Neo-Classical style by the Government architect, John Lee Archer, designing the body of the…

Read More

Bayswater, VIC - Church of Christ

Bayswater, VIC - Church of Christ

Address: 643 Mountain Highway, , Bayswater Victoria, 3153

Church of Christ services commenced among the settlers around 1872 and the Church of Christ was one of the first. Meetings were held in 1871 in Ambrose Lischke's bark hut, which was on Schultz's land on the South Western corner of Mountain Highway and Stud Rd. For two years the services were conducted by a Mr Ball who baptised Mr and Mrs…

Read More

Beaconsfield, TAS - St Francis Xaviers Catholic

Beaconsfield, TAS - St Francis Xaviers Catholic

Address: 188 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

Catholic families began moving into the mining town of Beaconsfield during the 1880s. Within a decade, they had built a solid timber Church dedicated to St Francis Xavier. On May 11, 1890, Monsignor Daniels Beechinor of Launceston accompanied his uncle, Archbishop Daniei Murphy, to the West Tamar town for the laying of the foundation…

Read More

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1909

Address: 125 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

Gold mining attracted many Methodist Cornishmen to settle in this district. In 1861 services were held at Supply River with preachers provided from Launceston. In 1878 the Primitive Methodists came to Beaconsfield and by 1880 the Rev C.R. Rice took up ministry there as part of the Launceston Mission. By 1891 Beaconsfield was created a…

Read More

Beagle Bay, WA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Beagle Bay, WA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1917

Address: Bishop Place, , Beagle Bay Western Australia, 6725

The community was established by Trappist Monks around 1890. In 1884, the first ever priest arrived to serve the Catholics in the Kimberley to try and convert the Aboriginal people. Bishop Matthew Gibney founded the Beagle Bay mission, developed in the land of the Nyul Nyul people. The Pallottine fathers and brothers took charge of the…

Read More

Beaudesert, QLD - Baptist

Beaudesert, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1949

Address: 13 Eaglesfield Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

The Foundation of one of the churches was laid on 8 October 1949 by Mr G.C. Sweetman President of the Queensland Baptist Union.

Read More

Beaudesert, QLD - St Thomas' Anglican

Beaudesert, QLD - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: 7 Albert Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

The Foundation stone to commemorate the consecration of the church took place on 4 July 1965. It was conducted by the Most Reverend P.N. W. Strong Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Beaudesert, QLD - Uniting

Beaudesert, QLD - Uniting

Address: 1 Duckett Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

Read More