Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1871 and 1880


Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: 170 Flinders Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5011

The beginnings of the Church can be traced to 1860 when about six families withdrew membership from Pastor Borgelt's Klemzig congregation on scriptural and confessional grounds. With several families who had been members of the Trinity congregation, as well as a number of others who were not affiliated with any group, they formed the…

Read More

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: Station Place, , Alberton South Australia, 5014

The Foundation stone was laid by J Formby Esq on 6 April 1880.

Read More

Albion Park, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Albion Park, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1875

Address: 253 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

This gothic revivalist church was built from sandstone quarried at Yellow Rock. The architect was Mr. E Blacket of Sydney, and the builder Mr. Schadel. The Reverend’s wife, Mrs. Rowsell, laid the foundation stone in the north east corner of the building in 1875. Under the stone was placed a glass bottle time capsule containing a copy of…

Read More

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Anakie, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1871

Address: 2439 Ballan Road, , Anakie Victoria, 3213

In 1857 the parish was formed under the care of Father Ronald Rankin. He purchased a site and in September of the same year a tender was let for the construction of a 25ft by 12ft wooden building at a cost of 210 pounds. From 1858 the building was used as a church under the patronage of St James on Sundays and from the 1st of September…

Read More

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Angaston, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1878

Address: Corner Fyfe & Sturt Street, , Angaston South Australia, 5353

Formerly a Congregational church the first church was a red brick chapel built in 1861 at the rear of the current church. The foundation stone of this church was laid by Mr J H Angas Esq J.P. on 13 May 1878. It cost £2162.00. It is of Gothic Revival style with bluestone walls and rendered dressings. The leadlight windows were shipped…

Read More

Armidale, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Armidale, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 122 Rusden Street, , Armidale New South Wales, 2350

The original St Peter's Church, a timber building, was opened in 1850 near the site of the present cathedral. The foundation stone for the cathedral, designed by Canadian Architect, J. Horbury Hunt, was laid in 1873. Hunt's original concept and alternative design, both stone and in the Anglo-French style, were largely in keeping with…

Read More

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1872

Address: 61 Lerderderg Street, , Bacchus Marsh Victoria, 3340

The 1841 Census for this area recorded that there were only 14 Catholics out of a population of 112, an area that extended from the Upper Werribee to Melton. By 1851 a register entry listed the names of five infants who, were baptised:- James, the son of James and Fanny Toomey; Patrick, son of John and Margaret Leahy; Elizabeth,…

Read More

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Year Built: 1874

Address: Victoria Street, , Ballarat East Victoria, 3350

The Church is part of the Parish of Ballarat East and the Diocese of Ballarat. The Church dates from November 1852 when Father Matthew Downing arrived on the Ballarat gold fields. The foundation stone of this impressive Redan bluestone building was laid on 3rd March 1873 by Bishop Goold, who held the title of the Bishop of Victoria.…

Read More

Ballarat, VIC - St Johns Lutheran

Ballarat, VIC - St Johns Lutheran

Year Built: 1876

Address: 203 Doveton Street, , Ballarat Victoria, 3350

Built in 1876 the Architect was Henry Richard Caselli.

Read More

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Bass, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1878

Address: Hade Avenue, , Bass Victoria, 3991

Read More

Beechworth, VIC - Baptist (Former)

Beechworth, VIC - Baptist (Former)

Year Built: 1873

Address: 14 Ford Street, , Beechworth Victoria, 3747

The former Baptist Church, 1873 [later Assemblies of God] was built of red brick with only the front elevation stuccoed and scored to resemble ashlar. This church also served followers of the Church of Christ. Now in Private Hands. Now in Private Hands.

Read More

Bega, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Bega, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: 12 Church Street, , Bega New South Wales, 2550

The first ministrations of the Church on the South Coast, were rendered by the Rev. William George Nott, in 1842, who worked for some months in the "District of Maneroo, beyond the limits of location." When in 1843 the Rev. E. G. Pryce was appointed, his charge comprised the whole of the Monaro and South Coast, and beyond, too, for there…

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Bendigo, VIC - St Paul's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1873

Address: Myer's Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

The cathedral was designed by the architect Robert A. Love. The nave was dedicated in November 1868, the bell tower in 1873 and the chancel and transepts in 1927. Originally a parish church, St Paul's became the diocese's cathedral in 1981. The building is constructed of red brick with stone dressings in an early Gothic style and is…

Read More

Berserker, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Berserker, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1880

Address: Musgrave Street, , Berserker Queensland, 4701

From 1880 to 1887 the North Rockhampton Methodist Circuit remained under the control of the Fitzroy Street Primitive Methodist Church. In 1887 North Rockhampton was declared a separate Circuit, and the Rev.I.Castlehow was appointed as its first Minister. He later became President of the Queensland Methodist Conference in 1908. The first…

Read More

Bethania, QLD - Lutheran

Bethania, QLD - Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: 73 Church Road, , Bethania Queensland, 4205

The church was built in 1872 from locally sourced handmade bricks, timber and shingles. It replaced an earlier slab church built in 1864. The building consists of a rectangular double height nave with square projections at both ends. The gable roofs over the two projecting rooms are lower than the nave roof. At the eastern end is a 1972…

Read More

Blackstone, QLD - Methodist

Blackstone, QLD - Methodist

Year Built: 1879

Address: 14 Mary Street, , Blackstone Queensland, 4304

A plaque reads, " The original Blackstone Congregational Church designed by architect Will Haenke was built in 1879 and faced Thomas Street. Around 1900 the church was expanded by adding a larger structure which faced Mary Street. The original building was retained and incorporated into this addition, and used as a hall. The Samoan…

Read More

Blandford, NSW - St Luke's Anglican (Former)

Blandford, NSW - St Luke's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1880

Address: 90 Salidbury Street, , Blandford New South Wales, 2338

Sold in 2016.

Read More

Bodalla, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Bodalla, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: 42 Princess Highway, , Bodalla New South Wales, 2545

The foundation stone was laid by Thomas Mort's widow, Marianne (second wife) on 18 March, 1880. The service was conducted by John Selwyn, second Bishop of Melanesia, who later married Mort's elder daughter, Annie, to whose memory the window in the Baptistry is dedicated. The building was finished in 1901. Still lacking the intended spire,…

Read More

Boorowa, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Boorowa, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1877

Address: Queen Street, , Boorowa New South Wales, 2586

‘A church was built 1854 as an outpost of Yass Mission, but a resident priest came in 1864. That old church became unstable and too small and was later replaced. A stain-glassed window of the Irish Saints Patrick, Bridget and Columba is a fine element, but there is within it a surprising inset panel of the ‘Liberator’ Daniel O’Connell,…

Read More

Boort, VIC - Presbyterian, (Former)

Boort, VIC - Presbyterian, (Former)

Year Built: 1876

Address: 24 Godfrey Street, , Boort Victoria, 3537

Presbyterian services were conducted in the district from 1876, and in a permanent church building in Boort from 1881. It is believed this building was sold to the Anglican Church c1905 (see history of St. Andrew's Anglican church). A new wooden Presbyterian church, St. Andrews, was designed and built in 1901 by Mr. A. E. DeGruchy for…

Read More

Botany, NSW - Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Botany, NSW - Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1880

Address: 1561 Botany Road, , Botany New South Wales, 2019

The Church was built in 1880 for about £1000 and was sold in 2019.

Read More

Branxton, NSW - St John's Anglican

Branxton, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 45 Cessnock Road, , Branxton New South Wales, 2335

Read More

Brighton, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Brighton, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1875

Address: 17 Black Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

In 1853 a Church, the Independents (later Congregational Church) began services in a tent measuring 10ft x 12ft which they erected in Carpenter street. Their Minister was the Reverend Henry Kidgell recently arrived from England. In April that year it was resolved to erect a small wooden chapel on a quarter acre block of land in Male…

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Broadford, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: High Street, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

The (new) Church was opened on 26 April 1874. It was built by a Mr Woods. In 1892 Kilmore and Broadford seperated and on Easter Sunday the Rev H. Braddock was inducted as Broadford's first resident Priest. The Church was consecrated 19 years after it opened by Bishop Goe.

Read More

Burra, SA - Redruth Methodist (former)

Burra, SA - Redruth Methodist (former)

Year Built: 1874

Address: Ludgvan Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

Redruth first appeared in the quarterly minute book on 24 June 1851. No members are listed and the income was 5/4. Three months later there were 4 members and the circuit income was 1-6-6. In February 1851 the Kooringa trustees had begun to build a church opposite the police station and 1-17-10 was collected at the laying of the corner…

Read More

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Burra, SA - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: Market Street, , Burra South Australia, 5417

The original church of St Mary’s was located at the junction of Ware and Church Streets in 1849. The land for the present church was donated by the South Australian Mining Association. It was built in the Gothic style and by the local firm of Sara & Dunstan to the design by G.F. McLagan, who came to live in Kooringa from Melbourne. The…

Read More

Burrawang, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Burrawang, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: 45 Church Street, , Burrawang New South Wales, 2577

Read More

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Campbell Town, TAS - Brickhill Memorial

Year Built: 1880

Address: 105 High Street, , Campbell Town Tasmania, 7210

The Church was built by funds left by Joseph Brickhill a successful local Businessman. His shop which used to be on High Street was built in 1859at a cost of £6,000 and was said to be the finest country store in Tasmania. Brickhill died in 1865 at the age of 65 after being attcked by his Alsatian dog. £1,400 was left in his estate to…

Read More

Candelo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Candelo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: 16 Kamaroka Street, , Candelo New South Wales, 2550

This is the oldest Catholic Church in the Bega Parish. Designed by Father Patrick Slattery the first Parish Priest of the district. It was opened by Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan on January 31st 1875.

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Caulfield, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1871

Address: 281 Glen Ira Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

The first Anglican service held in Caulfield was conducted by the Reverend Samuel Taylor (from St Andrew's Brighton) and Reverend David Seddon (of Christ Church St Kilda) in Park Street. In 1859 steps were taken to build a Church, which for some years was known as '"All Saints." Sir George Stephen gave a quarter of an acre of land, on…

Read More

Charlton, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Charlton, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1871

In the spring of the year 1871 as inhabitants of stations around Charlton crossed southwards over the recently constructed Avoca bridge they saw the beginnings of the first House of Worship in Charlton. The contractor James Paterson, of Nardoo, Buckrabnayule, a builder who learnt his trade in Scotland was putting the final touches to the…

Read More

Chiltern, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Chiltern, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1871

Address: High Street, , Chiltern Victoria, 3683

The former Presbyterian church was erected 1871-1875 by Smith and Houston. It replaced a timber and bark structure erected in 1860 some distance west of the site. The present orange-coloured brick structure comprises a buttressed hall with the west front punctuated by a pinnacled octagonal bell-cote on the gable apex and a small…

Read More

Clarendon, VIC - St Mary's Catholic (Former)

Clarendon, VIC - St Mary's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1871

Address: 6301 Midland Highway, , Clarendon Victoria, 3352

Built in 1871 the church is composed of rendered stone, with Lal Lal white brick facings, is 43ft long by 20ft wide, including a chancel, and cost about £500.

Read More

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Clifton Hill, VIC - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1876

Address: 61 Queens Parade, , Clifton Hill Victoria, 3068

Construction commenced in 1876 and by July the walls were being erected. The Foundation stone was laid in 1876. The Architect was J.B. Denny. The spire was added in 1907.

Read More

Clunes, VIC - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic (Former)

Clunes, VIC - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1872

Address: 90 Bailey Street, , Clunes Victoria, 3370

The first Church was erected in 1858. The second Church was opened Sunday July 1st 1866. The Church was made of wood and was 58 foot long by 20 foot wide with the walls rising 12 feet. The third church was constructed in bluestone and was designed by Henry R. Caselli and W. B. Tappin and was built between 1872 and 1873. It's based on…

Read More

Colac, VIC - Uniting

Colac, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1877

Address: Corner Hesse & Manifold Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. In 1852 the very firstr chapel Gows Chapel was destroyed by fire. The new church opened on 5 November 1854 on the south east corner of the present site and cost 1,750.00 to erect. By 1876 a new church was needed and a tender of 3,284.00 was accepted from Mr Bullings. The Foundation stone was laid on 19…

Read More

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Condowie, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1876

The Church was established in 1876. A hall beside the church was erected in 1952 and opened and dedicated on February 8 1953 by Pastor L.H. Leskie.

Read More

Cooma, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Cooma, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: 61 Soho Street, , Cooma New South Wales, 2630

The Church was opened in 1882 as a Presbyterian Church. The west wall includes a beautiful stained glass window, and other features include a timber pulpit, choir, and a 623 pound bell. In 1997 the tower clock was replaced and flood lighting of the stained glass window was fitted. The cost of the building was £l,545 but including all…

Read More

Cooma, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Cooma, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1872

Address: 136 Commissioner Street, , Cooma New South Wales, 2630

The Church was completed in 1872, the nave being consecrated by Bishop Thomas, the first Bishop of Goulburn, during the incumbency of the Ven. Archdeacon Druitt. Until 1891 the nave had no tower, - but on October 21st in that year, the last stone of the spire was laid by Mr. C. F. Welch, then Mayor of Cooma. Completion took place in 1892.…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St Raphel's Catholic

Cowra, NSW - St Raphel's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: Lachlan Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The first St Raphael's was built along Gothic lines and opened in 1861. The Architect was Edward Gell. Built entirely of stone it was dedicated by Archbishop Polding in 1865. It was replaced by a new church in 1875. The current and third church had its foundation stone laid in 1938 with the stone of the second church forming the…

Read More