Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1880 and 1900


Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: Station Place, Alberton, South Australia, 5014

The Foundation stone was laid by J Formby Esq on 6 April 1880.

Read More

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: New England Highway, Allora, Queensland, 4362

St. David's Church, Allora is a timber, Gothic Revival style church prominently located at the end of the main thoroughfare of the town, was constructed in 1887-88 to the design of leading Queensland colonial architect F.D.G Stanley. This building is the second church to be built on the site, which also contains a rectory designed by…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, Sydney, Annandale New South Wales, 2038

Built between 1886 and 1889 and opened in February 1889 the church was a gift by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie as a memorial to her husband John Baillie who died in 1854. He was a sub-editor of the Colonial Observer and later the Secretary and Inspector of the Bank of New South Wales. The Architect's were Cyril Arthur Blackett son of the…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1898

Address: 88 Kooyong Road, Melbourne, Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 July 1898 by Mrs Westmore G. Stephens. The Architect was Sydney Smith and Ogg and the builder was A Parker. It was designed in an advanced Romanesque style in red brick with stucco dressings, dark brick diapering, chequerboard gable treatment and fleche on the roof ridge. The building was later linked…

Read More

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: Main Road, Ashbourne, South Australia, 5157

The Church was formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church. It was built in 1891.

Read More

Avenel, VIC - Uniting

Avenel, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1886

Address: Queen Street, Avenel, Victoria, 3664

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church built in 1886. A meeting of the building commit was held in Mr Vearings Saw Mill on 6 March 1886. It was decided to accept the tender of Mr Shatlock. By May 1886 the rear windows were being installed and anew font door had been order. In the same year Mr Graham bought the old church for 11 pounds.…

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: James Road, Adelaide, Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1898 by the Bishop of the Diocese.

Read More

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: Bethany Road, Bethany, South Australia, 5352

The Church was built in 1883. The design is of simple rectangular plan with gable roof, smaller gabled annex to rear, square tower at front with tall pointed spire, rendered features on facades create a strong outline for the building. Construction - coursed rubble walls, rendered corner strips and windows indicate a reasonably…

Read More

Boonah, QLD - Church of Christ

Boonah, QLD - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1900

Address: Coronation Drive, Boonah, Queensland, 4310

Read More

Boonah, QLD - Trinity Lutheran

Boonah, QLD - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1880

Address: Rathdowney Road, Boonah, Queensland, 4310

The church was established in the 1880's.

Read More

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1890

Address: 8461 Thiele Highway, Bower, South Australia, 5374

The land on which the church is located was once owned by Mr F. W. Kaeding. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1890 by Pastor J. Hansen and it was finished by 1899 when a dedication service was held on 24 September. The Sunday School was opened in 1919. The church is 45 feet x 25 feet and cost approximately 120.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 12 Wilson Street, Melbourne, Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 October 1889 by the Honourable Sir James McBain MLC.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Leonard's Uniting

Brighton, VIC - St Leonard's Uniting

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner New & Wolseley Streets, Melbourne, Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - Unnamed

Brighton, VIC - Unnamed

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner North & New Streets, Melbourne, Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq.

Read More

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Broadford, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1895

Address: Corner High & Hamilton Streets, Broadford, Victoria, 3658

The original church was a small wooden Methodist church built in 1895, opened on 9 June and demolished in 1912. The Builder was Mr McDonald of Broadford. A Foundation stone was laid by M McKenzie MLA on 1 June 1912 when a newer church was erected. The builder was James Sutherland. The foundation stone was laid by MK McKenzie MLA on 1…

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: 184 Bungaree Wallace Road, Bungaree, Victoria, 3352

The Parish was established in 1890. A few years before in 1878 Dean Moore purchased a block of land for a church and school. This land now holds the Bungaree hall and some adjoining houses. The first recorded baptism in Bungaree was that of Ellena Rice performed by Fr J Cleary on 31 August 1890. When Fr Linane retired in 1965 Fr Paddy…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 581 Riversdale Road, Melbourne, Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for 375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of 566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: Lee Street, Campania, Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of 450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated 300 towards the completion of the church.

Read More

Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Gammie Street, Clifton, Queensland, 4361

The first church was erected in 1890. The second was built in 1909. The successful contractor was Mr. Stay of Allora. The floor has a vestry 'raised to 6 feet. A noticeable feature of the building is its great height compared to its size. This ensures breathing space and ventilation. The church proper, which seats 300, was built on 4 feet…

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican

Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: 123 Brook Street, Sydney, Coogee New South Wales, 2034

The Foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Sydney Bishop Alfred Barry D.D. on 18 December 1886. The following year St. Nicolas Anglican was consecrated. In 1905 the church building was almost completed destroyed by fire. The Church was reopened in 1906. Between 1917 and 1944, St. Nicolas Coogee was instrumental in establishing other…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: Kendal Street, Cowra, New South Wales, 2794

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1889 by Mrs Schofield.

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: Grenfell Road, Cowra, New South Wales, 2794

Formerly a Methodist church it was erected at Brundah Creek in 1887 and moved to its current site in 1916. Closed for regular services in 1969 it now forms part of the Uniting Church.

Read More

Crows Nest, QLD - St Mathews Catholic

Crows Nest, QLD - St Mathews Catholic

Year Built: 1900

Address: Esk Street, Crows Nest, Queensland, 4355

The church was built, and opened in 1900, and named St Matthew's in honour of the donor of the land. The Sisters of St. Joseph to the Parish, and the building of the Convent school was opened on 15 July, 1917. As of 2007 the church did not have a resident Priest.

Read More

Crystal Brook, SA - St John's Lutheran

Crystal Brook, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1881

Address: Stanley Street, Crystal Brook, South Australia, 5523

The first know existence of Lutheran's in this area forming a church was recorded in February 1881 when several families met for a service in the home of A.F. Noll. For the next 17 years all services were held there. By 1897 the room in the Noll home could not hold all the congregation so it was decided a church was needed. The foundation…

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Year Built: 1892

Address: 51 Victoria Street, Melbourne, Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first church was built in 1858. The new church was built in 1892. The Architect was J.A. Koch. Built of red brick the building has rendered dressings and mouldings with a slate roof. The church has belfry made of timber with scale slates on the lower section and a cast iron wall vents at mid-wall.

Read More

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner Point Nepean & Odonohue Roads, Melbourne, Dromana Victoria, 3936

Construction of St Mark's of Dromana was commenced in 1892. Prior to this, regular services had been held in private homes. Between 1885 and 1892, the Union church on the corner of Heales Street and Point Nepean Road was used by the Anglican congregation. In August 1892 George Morce won the tender for the building of the new church to the…

Read More

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Drouin, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1880

Address: 4 Frances Avenue, Drouin, Victoria, 3818

The original Christ Church was built in 1880 on land donated on cnr Grant St and Albert Road by Mrs Richard Higgs. It was dedicated on 18 January 1880 by Dean McCartney of Melbourne. In 1888, land was purchased in Main St Drouin. By 1906 a proposal to build a new church was made after the old church was in a bad state of repairs and by…

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: High Street, Drysdale, Victoria, 3222

The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by Rev J.D. Dodgson Ex President of the Conference. This was the fourth site of the Wesleyan and Methodist church and was opened in 1888.

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Herbert & Seaview Streets, Sydney, Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

A timber hall on the site of the present church where services where held (this hall was then divided up, part of which is now the Jennifer Russell Hall standing behind the Holy Trinity, 1886 church building. The first Holy Trinity Anglican Church was on the opposite side of the present day church and was dedicated by Bishop Barry on 10…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, Melbourne, East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English Decorated…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

Year Built: 1883

Address: Corner Powlett & Hotham Streets, Melbourne, East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

An article in the Melbourne Argus newspaper of 10 October 1881 reads, "A section of the congregation of Chalmera' Church having been granted permission by the Presbetry of Melbourne to form themselves into a separate congregation, they met for the first time yesterday morning, at the Orderly room, corner of Powlett-street and…

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1897

Address: 71 Orrong Road, Melbourne, Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 November 1897 by his Grace the Most Reverend T.J. Carr D.D.

Read More

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 11 Stanmore Road, Sydney, Enmore New South Wales, 2042

In 1882 the land for the present site on Enmore Road was purchased. The Foundation Stone was laid on 4 March 1882. It took less than three months to complete the church building which was opened in 18 June 1882. The total cost was over 3 200 Pounds. As with most churched, renovations were carried out over the years however exact dates…

Read More

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Ward Street, Eudunda, South Australia, 5374

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1883 and the church is the oldest stand church in Eudunda. The church was dedicated as St Trinitatis Lutheran Church in 1884. It was sold to the Church of England in 1888 and dedicated in 1889. The Vestry dates fr0m 1885.

Read More

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Wedderburn- Logan Road, Fenton's Creek, Victoria, 3518

A local saw miller Mr John Brown obtianed the timber form a location called the rocky water hole. Mr George Catto a local carpenter erected the building. The church was offically opened on March 18 1887 by the Bishop of Ballarat. The second church was opened on March 20 1965.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - Salvation Army

Forbes, NSW - Salvation Army

Year Built: 1890

Address: 128 Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

A foundation stone attached to the church was laid on 3 July 1890 by Commissioner Coombs.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Forbes, NSW - St Lawrence O'Toole Catholic

Year Built: 1880

Address: 13 Johnson Street, Forbes, New South Wales, 2871

There were two church buildings erected before the current one. The first was located in Camp street and the second was in Harold Street. Of Gothic Revival style the church was erected in 1880. A sanctuary was added in 1905 and a gallery in 1923.

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Saint Francis Xavier Catholic

Frankston, VIC - Saint Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 60 Davey Street, Melbourne, Frankston Victoria, 3199

The first Catholic church to open in Frankston on 15 December 1889 after land was purchased for 60.00 the year before. The opening Ceremony was conducted by his Grace Archbishop Carr.* The church was of brick construction with freestone dressings and measured 45 feet x 25 feet. The architects were Tappin, Gilbert and Denchy.*

Read More

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Upper Freestone Road, Freestone, Queensland, 4370

On June 5th 1883, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge based in London, made a grant of 20 pounds towards the cost of constructing a wooden Church at Freestone Creek, the total cost of this Church was 175 pounds. The land was donated by the Palmer family. Services prior to the building of St Lukes were held at the home of Mr…

Read More

Gardenvale, VIC - St James Catholic

Gardenvale, VIC - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1882

Address: 73 North Road, Melbourne, Gardenvale Victoria, 3185

The first Church was a wooden building constructed by the Very Reverend M Carey on the site facing North Road in 1882. It was a temporary building, used as a Church on Sundays and a schoolhouse on weekdays. Extensions were made in 1889. It was blessed by Dr Reville, the Co-adjutor Bishop of Sandhurst, in 1892. Construction of the present…

Read More