Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1881 and 1890


Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Wedderburn- Logan Road, , Fenton's Creek Victoria, 3518

A local saw miller Mr John Brown obtianed the timber form a location called the rocky water hole. Mr George Catto a local carpenter erected the building. The church was offically opened on March 18 1887 by the Bishop of Ballarat. The second church was opened on March 20 1965.

Read More

Footscray, VIC - Uniting

Footscray, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: 302 Barkly Street, , Footscray Victoria, 3011

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Hon James MacBain M.L.C. August 29th 1885".

Read More

Forbes, NSW - Salvation Army

Forbes, NSW - Salvation Army

Year Built: 1890

Address: 128 Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

A foundation stone attached to the church was laid on 3 July 1890 by Commissioner Coombs.

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Frankston, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Bay & High Streets, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

The site was the location of the first church in Frankston in 1854. The foundation stone for a Church building was laid on 2nd February 1875 by Miss A.M. Baxter but the Church was not completed until 5th February 1887.

Read More

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Upper Freestone Road, , Freestone Queensland, 4370

On June 5th 1883, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge based in London, made a grant of £20 towards the cost of constructing a wooden Church at Freestone Creek, the total cost of this Church was £175. The land was donated by the Palmer family. Services prior to the building of St Lukes were held at the home of Mr Shelley. The…

Read More

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Year Built: 1885

Address: 200 Military Road, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The original foundation stone was laid by the Bishop on August 1 1885. The Jubilee Foundation stone was laid by the Very Reverend Dean Young on 15 September 1936.

Read More

Grange, SA - Uniting

Grange, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Beach Street, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1880 by Mrs C Fowler.

Read More

Gulgong, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Gulgong, NSW - St John the Baptist Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2853

The Church was built in 1885 at a cost of £2250. The design is Flemish bonding on red brickwork. It replaced an earlier Catholic Church which was built during the town's first goldrush.

Read More

Gunbar, NSW - Uniting

Gunbar, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Formerly a Presbyterian church, the first church was located just north of its current location however due to swampy water it was later relocated. It was built in 1884. Though nominally Presbyterian, services by Anglican and Methodist ministers were occasionally also held at the church. By 1933 it was decided to build a new church of…

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: 121 Sheridan Street, Gundagai, New South Wales, 2722

The original church was built in 1885. Opened in 1885, the church is of neo-gothic style. The architect EC Manfred studied under Edmund Blackett who also designed the Church of England in Tumut, and the St Andrew’s Cathedral, George Street Sydney.

Read More

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Harp & Morning Street, , Gundaroo New South Wales, 2620

Established in 1881.

Read More

Hawthorn, VIC - Congregational (former)

Hawthorn, VIC - Congregational (former)

Year Built: 1881

Address: 500 Burwood Road, , Hawthorn Victoria, 3122

Built in 1881 the church was sold around 2003. Its now a Commercial enterprise.

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1889

Address: 284 Elizabeth Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The original Tabernacle on this site was constructed in 1883 and took just six days. It was cobbled together from packing cases, old timber and tin with salvaged iron beams as supports. In 1884 the foundation stone was laid for a new building to be used as a church. Later it became tine Sunday School when the larger Tabernacle was…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St David's Mission Anglican

Hobart, TAS - St David's Mission Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The foundation stone of St. David’s Mission chapel was laid on the 24th of November 1884 by the Bishop of Tasmania, Rev. Dr. Daniel Fox Sandford. The design of the church was entrusted to Mr H Hunter, architect of Macquarie Street who prepared plans for a building to cost £1,500. In basic Gothic style and built of brick with stone…

Read More

Holbrook, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Holbrook, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Young Street, , Holbrook New South Wales, 2644

Original built in 1887 the church was opened in 1887. A Sanctuary was added in 1967. Other alterations took place in 1958 and 1964. The Rev. Julius Scott took charge early in 1884, and appears to have been the first occupant of the Parsonage. He must have been a capable man and of strong personality, for it was he who had largely…

Read More

Horsham, VIC - Church of Christ

Horsham, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Urquhart & Baillie Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first service was held on 30 January 1887 by Mr D. W. Little in the Horsham Temperance Hall. Only 6 locals attended however by the evening service more than a dozen showed up. During the first three months thirteen baptisms had been carried out. Until 1915 only local men including Mr Butler, Spicer and Millar, carried out conducing…

Read More

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: Croydon Road, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

On 18 December, 1850, Michael Gannon purchased 1905 acres from the estate of Captain John Townson whose grant of crown land took in the whole of the present suburbs of Hurstville and Carlton reaching almost to Kogarah Bay. Michael Gannon then transferred ownership of two acres to the Most Reverend John Bede Polding on 24 November, 1855…

Read More

Jericho, TAS - St James Anglican

Jericho, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1888

The first services were held in a house. Church News of June 1883 states that St. James' was erected in 1826 or 27 but Church News of January 1947 says that building commenced in 1829. The church which was designed by John Lee Archer, was consecrated on the 10th of May, 1838. A plaque on the church reads, "The original church on this…

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Jerilderie, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: West Street, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The Church was formerly a Presbyterian church. The first Minister catering to the pastoral needs of the Protestant faith in this district was a Presbyterian Minister from Deniliquin, the Reverend Peter Mercer, from 2 December, 1863, to 10 August, 1869, under commission from the Castlemaine Presbytery in Victoria. Reverend Mercer's…

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1889

Address: 26 Denison Street, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Church was built of brick with a shingle roof in 1889 from designs by A Blackett son of E.T. Blackett. In 1911 the chancel and vestries were added and from time to time other improvements have been effected. The Church was licenced on 11/11/1889 by Bishop Thomas. It was consecrated on 29/11/1898 by Bishop Barlow. The east window is a…

Read More

Kalbar, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Kalbar, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: 256 Teviotville Road, , Kalbar Queensland, 4309

Formerly Engelsburg in the Fassifern District. The German settlers who settled in and around Engelsburg at first attended services at Hoya but becuase of the distance and bad roads they organised themselves into a congregation.

Read More

Kaniva, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Kaniva, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Western Highway, , Kaniva Victoria, 3419

The first services were held on 28 June 1885 by H.F. Baker and in August by William Puttocks. By February 9 1889 the Nhill Advertiser newspaper carried an add calling for tenders for a stone and brick church.

Read More

Kew, VIC - Chinese Baptist

Kew, VIC - Chinese Baptist

Year Built: 1887

Address: 75a Cotham Road, , Kew Victoria, 3101

Originally a Presbyterian Church. Early in 1874 steps were taken by a number of the Presbyterian Church followers living in Kew to establish a charge, and services were commenced in the Town Hall in June, 1874. Among those who were leaders in the movement may be mentioned Hon. R. S. Anderson, Messrs. Thomas Austin, David Beath, W. H.…

Read More

Kew, VIC - Uniting

Kew, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1890

Address: 23 Highbury Grove, , Kew Victoria, 3101

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1889 by Reverend John Harcourt.

Read More

Kingston SE, SA - Uniting

Kingston SE, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner McFarlane & Holland Streets, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

The Church was opened in 1887.

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Gateway Baptist

Launceston, TAS - Gateway Baptist

Year Built: 1885

Address: 22 Wellington Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Work began on the Church building in 1883, it was to seat 1200 and was built under the guidance of Mr. F. Tyson (Architect) and J. T. Farmilo (Builder) at a cost of £17,500 . It was first called “The Temple” but its name was then changed to “The Memorial Church.” It was officially opened in July, 1885, when 1200 people are said to have…

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - All Souls Anglican

Leichhardt, NSW - All Souls Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 126 Norton Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

On January 7th, 1882 the original All Souls' church was opened for worship. The building and the land together cost 800. The church was designed by the architectural firm founded by Edmund T. Blacket, the great Anglican Church architect of the nineteenth century. Designed in the early English gothic style and built in brick masonry…

Read More

Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1886

Address: Immanuel Way, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

The first church was opened and dedicated on 29 November 1886. The tower was erected in 1930. The Church hall was opened in 1949.

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Lilydale, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Jones & Castella Streets, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140

Land for an Anglican church was purchased in February 1867 and construction commenced the following year. The first service in the completed building was held in October 1868. The memorial stone was laid by Baroness De Pury on 25 September 1886.

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Lilydale, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: Corner Jones & Clarke Street, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140

The first services were held in the Commerford family home in Edwards Street and on occasions in the de Castella's home. In 1863 Dr Fitzpatrick applied for 2 acres at the corner of Jones and Clarke Streets. In May 1864 work commenced on a small wooden building which was completed in January 1865. In mid 1869 Father Finn was suggesting…

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - Uniting

Lilydale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: Corner George & Anderson Streets, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140

Formerly a Presbyterian Church the Foundation stone was laid on 22 December 1882 by the Honarable J Balflour M.L.C.assisted by Rev, Peter Mercer Moderator of the General Assembly. The Church was opened and dedicated one year later on 9 December 1883.* Mr J.R. Crouch of Melbourne was the architect and Messrs Sebire and Morton of Lilydale…

Read More

Longford, TAS - Wesleyan Chapel

Longford, TAS - Wesleyan Chapel

Year Built: 1887

Address: 107 Wellington Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

Opened in 1887 the Longford Methodist Church, or, as it was then known, the Wesleyan Methodist Society, was founded in 1834. Now in private hands.

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - Baptist

Marrickville, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1887

Address: 107 Silver Street, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Church was founded in 1887 as an offshoot of Petersham Baptist Church, being formed into a recognised Baptist Church in July of that year. Initially the church met at Winkies' Hall in Illawarra Road, which was near or next to the tram depot. In 1889, the church moved to the building on the current site. This site was purchased…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Brigit's Catholic

Marrickville, NSW - St Brigit's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 153 Livingstone Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Passionists came to Australia in 1887 at the invitation of Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney. He separated the present parish of St. Brigid's from the parish of Newtown. They originally occupied a small house on the corner of Fletcher St and Petersham Rd. The foundation stone of the Church was laid in October 1887 in…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Marrickville, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Year Built: 1888

Address: 90 Petersham Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

A large Gothic Revival Church built around 1888 and designed by architects Spain & Cosh. Styled in the early English style constructed of red brick with stone, brick and terracotta detailing. The tall corner spire has two tiers of windows and is clad in interlocking zinc sheets. The hall, a simple rectangular building, incorporates the…

Read More

Mentone, VIC - Davies Memorial Uniting

Mentone, VIC - Davies Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: 74 Venice Street, , Mentone Victoria, 3194

The church is styled after the Gothic Revival approach by architect Charles Figgis, who also created the Mentone Hotel. Mentone was moved by news of the passing of Mrs Mary Davies in 1887. Mother to nine children, she had been a tireless worker for the community and devoted member of the Presbyterian church. In honour of her name,…

Read More

Mentone, VIC - St Augustines Anglican

Mentone, VIC - St Augustines Anglican

Year Built: 1888

Address: 90 Como Parade W, , Mentone Victoria, 3194

A Church window portrait of St Alban was unveiled during a service on Sunday 16 December 1917 with 61 names inscribed. The window now has 70 names, suggesting that a supplementary group was added after the cessation of hostilites. A Foundation stone reads, " This Memorial stone was laid by Mrs M.H. Davies November 26th 1888. N Billings…

Read More

Mernda, VIC - Uniting

Mernda, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1888

Address: Schotters Road, , Mernda Victoria, 3754

Formerly a Wesleyan Church built in 1888. In 1856 Mr King of "Fair View" gave an acre of land along West Bridge Inn Road and the first church was erected in timber and stood for 33 years.

Read More

Merriwa, NSW - St Anne's Catholic

Merriwa, NSW - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: 9 Vennacher Street, , Merriwa New South Wales, 2329

The first Catholic church in town dates from 1858. The current Church was built in 1879-81 to a design by J.W. Pender, with extensions in 1938 which cost over £5,000. The Freemans Journal of 25 June 1881 records "the new Catholic Church at Merriwa was solemnly blessed and opened on Sunday week by his Lordship the Bishop of Armidale…

Read More

Mile End, SA - St Jame's Anglican

Mile End, SA - St Jame's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 1B Falcon Avenue, , Mile End South Australia, 5031

The Church was opened by Bishop Kennion on 1 February 1884. Many years before Mr Justice Gwynne had given an acre of land in the village of Cowandilla for church purposes. This was sold for £150 and an allotment bought in a more central position in the Thebarton area. This is the present site of the church. Due to the energeic work of…

Read More