Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1881 and 1890


Minyip, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Minyip, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1889

Address: Corner Carroll & Church Street, , Minyip Victoria, 3392

The first church services were held in 1874 in Mr A. Prices home. A wooden church was erected the following year on land donated by Mr C Petering at Kirchham. The Church was originally located at Kirchheim and erected in 1889. In 1935 the church was moved to Minyip. Made of rectangular plan timber and weatherboard with pointed lancet…

Read More

Mount Beppo, QLD - Lutheran

Mount Beppo, QLD - Lutheran

Year Built: 1888

Address: Mount Beppo Road, , Mount Beppo Queensland, 4313

The Church is the largest in the community situated about sixety miles from Hatton Vale. It is the second oldest community founded by Apostle H F Niemeyer. The Church was opened on 12 August 1888. It was extended and re-dedicated in 1930.

Read More

Mt Barker, SA - Dunn Memorial Uniting

Mt Barker, SA - Dunn Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: 13 Mann Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

The church was a former Weslyan Methodist Church. The current Church hall was the first church. For more than 50 years John Dunn was actively committed to the church in Mount Barker and funded the total construction of this church named in his memory. At the time it was made, the gift of the church building was believed to be the…

Read More

Mt Moriac, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Mt Moriac, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1883

Address: Princes Highway, , Mount Moriac Victoria, 3240

In 1856 Fr Patrick Birmingham formerly of Fiery Creek was direct by Bishop Goold to reside at Mount Moriac with the charge of Colac. This continued for just one year when he left Melbourne and travelled to Sydney. Father Barrett took over his parish. The original church was located in Chapel Street and built in 1860. A new Church was…

Read More

Murchison, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Murchison, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Corner Impey & Watson Street, , Murchison Victoria, 3610

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Christ Church Lutheran

Murray Bridge, SA - Christ Church Lutheran

Year Built: 1882, 1938

Address: Swanport Road, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The first Lutheran services were held in 1882 in a shed used by railway construction employees. This continued until 1884 when Mr F.W. Jaench offered a room in his home. He later sold a piece of his land for a church and an even further offer was made by Johann Gottlob Jaensch who subsidsed 10 shillings for every 1.00 raised. The…

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - St John the Baptist Anglican

Murray Bridge, SA - St John the Baptist Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Mannum Road, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

In 1884 Anglicans held services at the newly-opened Bridge-port Hotel. Their first Church, the Church of St. John the Baptist,was built in 1887 at a cost of £434-l0-0. It is a plain, small limestone building with an unfinished porch. For several years it was under the control of the River Murray Mission, which also used a steamboat…

Read More

Murtoa, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Murtoa, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Corner Lake & Marma Streets, , Murtoa Victoria, 3390

In 1884 tenders were offered for the erection of a brick church but none were forthcoming. A revised tender for a wooden church were offered and let to a Messrs Chaffer.

Read More

Murtoa, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Murtoa, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Duncan & Degenhardt Streets, , Murtoa Victoria, 3390

One of the first services in Murtoa was that of 4 October 1875 when Father P Moore took Mass in Murtoa. Construction of the first church took place in 1880 and the formal opening of the building occurred on 10 July 1881 when Dean Moore from Ballarat officiated at the event. Four memebers of the Ballarat Choir attended the celebrations…

Read More

Nagambie, VIC - St John's Anglican

Nagambie, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: High Street, , Nagambie Victoria, 3608

St. John's Church was commenced in 1883, opened for worship on the 8th April 1883, and consecreated in 1887. Services had been conducted in Nagambie as early as 1874 in the Mechanics Institute and also in the home of Mrs Way. The Church was built in a red brick with two curious features of the building being the non alignment of the…

Read More

Nathalia, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Nathalia, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Robertson Street, , Nathalia Victoria, 3638

In January of 1882 the Reverand D. Brown arrived in Nathalia with his wife and child. His firs services were held in the State Schools of Nathalia and Narioka. In 1884 the church building fund was augmented with various sums of money being promised. Land for the church had been donated by Mr Edward Pearce but heated controversy mounted…

Read More

Natimuk, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Natimuk, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Main Street, , Natimuk Victoria, 3409

The first Church of England service was held in a private residence in June 1876. In 1885 the church had its first resident Minister. The current church was built in 1890 and the bell tower was added in 1964 while the stained glass window was dedicated in 1988.

Read More

New Norfolk, TAS - St Peter's Catholic

New Norfolk, TAS - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 2 Hillside Crescent, , New Norfolk Tasmania, 7140

Archbishop Willson's first efforts to obtain priestly ministration for the Norfolk district dated from June 19, 1850, when he suggested to the Comptroller-General of convicts that Fr. Woolfrey or one of the chaplains employed in the convict department, be placed at New Norfolk to itinerate for the spiritual care of pass-holders and…

Read More

Newport, VIC - Baptist

Newport, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1885

Address: 26 Mason Street, , Newport Victoria, 3015

An offer was made by Mr Hugh Ross of Newport to Mr Issac Hopkins, that if there was one allotment of land purchased in Newcastle street he would give an ajoinning allotment if the church was built within 12 months. The subsequent building measured 48 ft x 28ft and had seating for 250 people. it was erected by Mr C.J. Prosser to the…

Read More

Nhill, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Nhill, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: Macpherson Street, , Nhill Victoria, 3418

In the Wimmera the first know church service was held at the Nhill Station Homestead by Reverend James Clow in 1848. The first service was held on 12 July 1889. The land for the present church was purchased in the same year for 100. The present building was erected in 1889, opened on July 12 and cost 468.00. It was built by Mr H Gunn.…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Cyprians Anglican

North Adelaide, SA - St Cyprians Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 70 Melbourne Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The land was purchased in 1872 and the construction took place between 1882 and 1883. The financing was orchestrated by the Christ Church North Adelaide. The Architect was Daniel Garlick a prominent South Australian architect. Most of the students and congregation were working class people who lived nearby, some of whom worked for the…

Read More

North Essendon, VIC - Methodist

North Essendon, VIC - Methodist

Year Built: 1888

Address: 1003 Mount Alexander Road, , North Essendon Victoria, 3040

The area of the church is 57 feet and 37 feet and affords accomadation for about 350 persons. The church was erected using red and white bricks on a bluestone foundation. The total cost was 1,250.00. The memorial stone was laid by Henry Berry Esq of Melbourne and the contractors Messrs Pitt and Henville of Carlton. The Architects were Mr…

Read More

Ocean Grove, VIC - Uniting

Ocean Grove, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1888

Address: Corner The Parade & Eggleston Street, , Ocean Grove Victoria, 3226

The Methodist Church purchased 549 acres of land from the Bank of New South Wales in 1887. This was then subdivide into 2,500 blocks and sold off. On 1 January 1888 the first Wesleyan Church service was held in the Coffee Palace. On 23 December 1888 the first service was held in the new Gothic styled church. It was resolved to build…

Read More

Port Melbourne, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Port Melbourne, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: 95 Stokes Street, , Port Melbourne Victoria, 3207

Opened in 1881. Refurbished in 1999. On 7 May 1882 the Carmelites celebrate their first Mass in St Joseph's Church, Port Melbourne, Fathers Butler and Shaffrey having accepted charge of the newly-formed parish of Sandridge. Fr John Scanlon was prior and parish priest in Port Melbourne from 1909-1919, and after his term of office in…

Read More

Port Wakefiled, SA - Uniting

Port Wakefiled, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: Mine Street, , Port Wakefield South Australia, 5550

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church the Foundation stone was laid on 15 April 1885.

Read More

Portarlington, VIC - St John's Anglican

Portarlington, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Corner Brown & Fenwick Streets, , Portarlington Victoria, 3223

A meeting of local residents in the Portarlington Mill in 1874 eventually resulted in plans being produced seven years later for a wooden church building when Mr James Austin gave the church half an acre. In September of 1883 the Foundation stone of the new Church of England (now Anglican) was laid by Rev H.B. Macartney D.D. Dean of…

Read More

Preston, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Preston, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 333 Bell Street, , Preston Victoria, 3072

The first Church was built in 1889 in Bell Street and Archbishop Carr officiated at the opening. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 October 1925 by the Most Reverend Dr McCarthy Bishop of Sandhurst. The Architect was W. P. Connelly while the builder was Reynolds Brothers. The old wooden church met the needs of the congregation until…

Read More

Preston, VIC - Saint Cyril and Methodius Greek Orthodox

Preston, VIC - Saint Cyril and Methodius Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1888

Address: Yann Street, , Preston Victoria, 3072

This church was formerly a Methodist church. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 12 November 1888 by the Honourable C.H. James M.L.C. The Architect was A Dunn. The South Preston Methodists built their first church in High Street Preston which served them until 1879 when a new one was built. In 1889 this was replaced by…

Read More

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Ilija Macedonian

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Ilija Macedonian

Year Built: 1884

Address: 265 Crawford Street, , Queanbeyan New South Wales, 2620

A single storey hall constructed of handmade brick. The Salvation Army used the hall as its first barracks from 1884 until the end of the decade. The front facade has been rendered and painted, with imitation ashlar blocking. Since its building it has served a variety of purposes within the town. Originally opened in 1877 as the…

Read More

Red Hill, QLD - Baptist

Red Hill, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1888

Address: 16 Windsor Road, , Red Hill Queensland, 4059

In 1877 the church was formed with just 19 members, pastored by Rev Thomas Leitch. By 1888 the church building was constructed debt-free, on the present Windsor Road site, Its seats 400. The style is Victorian Carpenter Gothic. By 1973 it was considered that the church should close however the persistence e of the 30 members kept it open.…

Read More

Rosevale, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Rosevale, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1881

Address: 572 Rosevale Road, , Rosevale Queensland, 4340

The Church was originally called St Laurentius (1881 - 1928) then St Paul's from 1929 until the present day. It was served from Laidley until 1900, when it realigned with Ipswich Parish. For more information click here.

Read More

Ross, TAS - Uniting

Ross, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: 43 Church Street, , Ross Tasmania, 7209

A foundation stones reads, "This memorial stone was laid by Elizabeth Pridden Horton Dec 15 1882". The Church was opened in 1885. Thomas Parramore gave the land and the first stone was quarried from the Beaufront Quarries. Percy Oakden, (son of Phillip, an old Horton College Student) was the architect. The foundation stones were…

Read More

Rozelle, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Rozelle, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Gordon Street, , Rozelle New South Wales, 2039

Built in 1881.

Read More

Rye, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Rye, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: Lyons Street, , Rye Victoria, 3941

St Andrew's Church of England, Lyons Street, Rye, is a small limestone Church built in 1882 to the design of architects Henderson and Smart. A simple rectangle in plan, with attached porch and rectangular chancel, the Church is constructed of random coursed local limestone with flush quoins and corrugated iron roof. The large gable foot…

Read More

Sale, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Sale, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 149 Cunninghame Street, , Sale Victoria, 3850

The Parish came into being in 1854 and was licenced in 1857. A substantial brick church, designed by prominent architect Nathaniel Billing and built in 1884. Extensions were added in 1907. A memorial stone reads, " This memorial stone was laid by the Right Revd J. Doorhouse D.D. Bishop of Melbourne Dec 17th 1883".

Read More

Seymour, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Seymour, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: Crawford Street, , Seymour Victoria, 3661

In 1855 a grant of land was given by the Government. It was situated at the northern end of Emily Street, but it was found to be unsatisfactory because it was too far from the town and was subject to flooding. This grant was later cancelled and in 1869 another grant was made of the present site. Patrick Hanna who donated the church bell…

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - Scot's Uniting

Shepparton, VIC - Scot's Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: Corner Corio & fryers Streets, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

Formerly a Presbyterian the Church was formed in 1885. However a Reverend Thomson conducted services in the area from 1876. In 1885 a parcel of land was donated by Mr William Fraser and by May 1886 tenders were let to fence the land. By December of the same year it was decided to call tenders to build a church. The Church was partly…

Read More

Sorell, TAS - St George's Anglican

Sorell, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 16 Gordon Street, Sorell, Tasmania, 7172

A small stone Gothic Revival church constructed in 1826 and re-built in 1883. This replaced a larger church on the same site that dated back to 1825. The contract was awarded to Messrs Grubb Bros of Hobart for 925 and most of the construction work was carried out by convicts. The first services were held in a barn. In 1826 St. George's…

Read More

Sorrento, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Sorrento, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1888

Address: Kerferd Avenue, , Sorrento Victoria, 3943

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 October 1888 by Hon J Balfour M.L.C. The original section of the church was first built in 1888 and is said to be the current transept, which is the parapet walled section nearest the street and a limestone porch was added in the following year. The current nave, the east wing attached to the hall,…

Read More

South Yarra, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

South Yarra, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1888

Address: 30 Fitzgerald Street, , South Yarra Victoria, 3141

The foundation stone of St Joseph’s Church was laid on 18 March 1888 and the building opened on 28 October 1888. Designed by architects Tappin, Gilbert & Dennehy, this is a large cruciform brick building in the Gothic style with stucco dressings, tower and spire. Further additions were completed in August 1892.

Read More

St Helens, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

St Helens, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 56 Cecillia Street, , St Helen's Tasmania, 7216

The earliest record of the Church having taken any interest in this district is to be found in the Church News, 4/3/1901 when it mentions that in 1871 the Rev. John Chambers made visits to St. Helens, though it is probable this gentleman made occasional visits from 1862, that being the year he took charge of Cullenswood, Fingal and…

Read More

St Stephens, VIC - Uniting

St Stephens, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1886

Address: 179 Melbourne Road, , Williamstown Victoria, 3016

Read More

Stanley, TAS - Circular Head Anglican

Stanley, TAS - Circular Head Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: 37 Church Street, , Stanley Tasmania, 7331

The original St Paul's Anglican of 1842 was designed by colonial architect John Lee Archer and consecrated by Bishop Nixon in 1858, the first Bishop of Tasmania. Later the stone church had to be demolished due to cracks appearing in the walls, salt water was likely used in the mortar. In 1887 it was replaced by the present timber…

Read More

Sydney, NSW - Lutheran

Sydney, NSW - Lutheran

Year Built: 1881

Address: 90 Goulburn Street, , Sydney New South Wales, 2024

The foundation-stone of the first German Evangelical Lutheran church to be erected in Sydney, was laid in North Goulburn Street on Saturday last by Mrs. R Krauel, wife of the German Consul-General. Built in 1881. The design on the building was in accordance with designs prepared by Mr. T. Dixon Chater. It cost about £2,000 and was…

Read More

Tanunda, SA - Langmeil Lutheran

Tanunda, SA - Langmeil Lutheran

Year Built: 1888

Address: 7 Maria Street, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

Langmeil Thanksgiving Congregation is one of the oldest Lutheran congregations in the country. Early services were held in the private homes of members and the congregation dedicated its first church on 26th December 1846. It was demolished in 1888. Named after a village in Germany, Langmeil was settled by a group of German emigrants…

Read More