Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1881 and 1890


Tea Tree, TAS - St Thomas' Anglican

Tea Tree, TAS - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Tea Tree & Middle Tea Tree Roads, , Tea Tree Tasmania, 7017

In January 1880 the Church of England Diocesan Synod announced preliminary steps to establish a small church at Tea Tree. Rapid progress was made and tenders were called for in August of the same year. In December the foundation stone was laid in a ceremony reported by the Hobart Mercury. The church was officially opened on 2 May 1881…

Read More

Terang, VIC - Thomson Memorial Presbyterian

Terang, VIC - Thomson Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: High Street, , Terang Victoria, 3264

The Church was designed by Reed, Smart & Tappin as a memorial to John Thomson, of 'Keilambete', who was killed in 1890 after engaging the architects. John Thomson squatted on Lake Keilambete (6 km north-west of Terang) in 1840. He is said to have built the first brick house in the district, was appointed a magistrate in 1840 and was…

Read More

Toowoomba, QLD - St Stephen's Uniting

Toowoomba, QLD - St Stephen's Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: 51 Neil Street, , Toowoomba Queensland, 4350

The Church was built of local basalt and sandstone and was completed in 1884. A fire in 1989 which resulted in the collapse of the roof, damaging the organ beyond repair. Re-construction was not completed until 1993.

Read More

Triabunna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Triabunna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 1 Franklyn Street, , Triabunna Tasmania, 7190

The Church of England congregation held early church services at Rostrevor and the old Council Chambers until the energetic Revd Power inspired churchgoers to raise funds and plan a new church. Finished and dedicated in 1883, it was built of cut stone from Okehampton Quarry at a cost of £750. The stone alter, thought to be one of three in…

Read More

Urania, SA - Uniting

Urania, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: Government Road, , Urania South Australia, 5573

The Church was built in 1884.

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: Church Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

St Andrew's Presbyterian Church was constructed in about 1890 and is designed in Victorian Academic Gothic style and is built of brick and sandstone. The Original Foundation stone was laid on 6 October 1869 by Sir Alfred Steven Chief Justice of New South Wales. The steep, gabled roof is clad with slate. St Andrew's has a landmark tower…

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Michael's Catholic Cathedral

Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Michael's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1885

Address: Church Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

The Cathedral was built as St Michael's Parish Church in 1885-87. The Foundation stone was laid on 26 April 1885. The architects were Tappin, Gilbert & Dennehy, of Melbourne, and it was opened in 1887. The second stage followed in 1922-25, to the designs of architect W.J. Monks, at a cost of 34,894. When the Diocese of Wagga was formed…

Read More

Wallaroo, NSW - Uniting

Wallaroo, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: 1716 Barton Highway, , Wallaroo New South Wales, 2618

Built in 1882 the Church has an L-shape with extending vestry. The hall was erected in 1928 and extended in 1960. The Foundation stone for the hall was laid by Mr Samuel Southwell on 13 June. The granite memorial wall was constructed in the foreground of the church to hold memorial plaques. The granite memorial gates were erected in…

Read More

Wandin North, VIC - Uniting

Wandin North, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: 108 Benak Road, , Wandin North Victoria, 3139

A United Free Methodist church opened in 1867. The Church bricks were made on Mr E Hunters property and Mr Henry Sebrie was the builder. The first service was held in the home of a Mr. Payne. The first church on the current site was built in 1868, on an acre of land granted to the group to be used for ‘religious purposes, public…

Read More

Wangaratta, VIC - Uniting

Wangaratta, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: Rowan Street, , Wangaratta Victoria, 3677

Originally a Wesleyan Church erected in 1885 at a cost of £900 the 25,000 bricks were burnt by Joseph Trotman's Waldara property. The Foundation stone was laid by John Robb J. P. on 1 June 1885 and the first service was conducted by Dr D.E. Watkin. The first Minster was Reverend J.A. Osborne. The stained glass window came from St Paul's…

Read More

Warracknabeal, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Warracknabeal, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Lyle & Anderson Street, , Warracknabeal Victoria, 3393

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 August 1886. The first service was held on 12 February 1887 as reported in the Warracknabeal Herald. The Church was constructed of brick in ancient Gothic style with an Elizabethan pitched roof of corrugated iron. The length of the building was 35ft by 22ft. The roof is supported by three massive beams.…

Read More

Waverley, NSW - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Waverley, NSW - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: 45 Victoria Street, , Waverley New South Wales, 2024

Constructed between 1890 and 1915 the cathedral is of the Classical Revival style with a faade to lower part of building. Clerestorey level, with its two imposing bell towers, appears to be in a different style. Entrance formed by large, pedimented portico with four, imposing Ionic columns. Ionic pilasters continue around to the sides.…

Read More

Waverley, NSW - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Waverley, NSW - St Mary the Virgin Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: 240 Birrell Street, , Waverley New South Wales, 2022

Built in 1890 this church was one of Edmund Blacket's earlier churches. Built by W Bailey its stone church in Ecclesiastical Gothic style. It boasts a long nave with chancel, vestry and two side porches. Dressed sandstone with concrete tiled roof (originally shingled). Paired lancet windows between buttresses. Stained glass with label…

Read More

Whitton, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Whitton, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Melbergin Street, , Whitton New South Wales, 2705

The Church was first established in 1885 and the current church was built around 1890 to 1891.

Read More

Willunga, SA - St Stephen's Anglican

Willunga, SA - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: St Andrew's Terrace, , Willunga South Australia, 5172

The original church of St Stephens was constructed in 1848 as the centre for the Church of England Parish of Myponga, Yankalilla, Meadows and Port Elliott, as well as the Willunga District. It was located on Aldinga Road, further out of town, but was replaced by the current building, located in the centre of Willunga, in 1884. The old…

Read More

Wollongong, NSW - Uniting

Wollongong, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: 127 Crown Street, , Wollongong New South Wales, 2500

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist Church. Of neo-gothic design and built of sandstone, the Church was opened in 1882. A Foundation stone reads, " This tablet was set by Mr J.M. Staff at the Official opening of this porch 30th August 1930".

Read More

Woodville, SA - Uniting

Woodville, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: 44 Woodville Road, , Woodville South Australia, 5011

The Woodville Wesleyan Mission was organised in 1876 as part of the Port Adelaide Circuit. Services were initially held in the York (now Kilkenny) Rechabite Hall. Local landowner, Captain Henry Simpson, donated a portion of his land of Woodville Road so that a church could be built. The first church was constructed in 1877 using iron…

Read More

Woomargama, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Woomargama, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1888

Address: Hume Highway, , Woomargama New South Wales, 2644

The Church was built in 1888 and opened on 13 May 1888. The porch and belfry were added between 1924 and 1925.

Read More